The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gym in the morning nutrition

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Hello,

I've read The miracle morning and I would like to go to the gym early in the morning from now on.
My problem is, that my gym is some time away (45min) and I cant go back home after it because I have school at 8:15 in the same city as my gym.
My plan looks like this:
Get up at 5am.
Get to the bus at 5:36 and arrive & and be ready to roll in the gym at 6:20
Train for ~1h.
7:20 Shower and get ready for school.

Till now I always ate 180g oatmeal, a banana and milk in the morning. I cant really eat that to well on the run and dont want to sit in school eating my oatmeal :D

If someone is in a similar situation like me or got knowledge about training in the morning: How do you manage the nutrition?

Thanks for help

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MEAH

Lost Without A Map
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 24, 2015
why not add protein to that and make an oatmeal, banana and milk protein shake, get a shaker cup and take it with you to sip on the bus on the way to the gym?

Honestly the best thing that I ever did was train on an empty stomach.. got me into better shape than anything else. If you are worried about muscle loss you are mistaken but I would just sip on a preworkout BCAA drink on the way to the gym. Come home and have a protein shake before school. My next meal would then be 2-3 hours later which would be lunch time

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Thanks for your reply @MEAH
I think I will try it out to workout on a (nearly) empty stomach. I'll dink a whey shake before gym and then on the way to school I drink the oatmeal, banana and milk protein shake.
BCAA would be better I guess before gym but I dont want to spend more on another supplement. Whey got to do it for me. :D

MEAH

Lost Without A Map
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 24, 2015
BCAA would be better I guess before gym but I dont want to spend more on another supplement. Whey got to do it for me.

so dont take a full range of BCAA's... the BEST of all of them will be Glutamine and you can go on bodybuilding.com and get that stuff for $6....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/o...4&cadevice=c&gclid=CMbH4ODXlMUCFYk7aQod_DcAvA

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Just saying that all the answers you got from Meah are spot on.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
I personally don't eat breakfast.

I find breakfast just makes me feel bloated which screws with my ability to work in the morning. If anything, I'll have a protein shake after I workout but nothing more.

My routine is:

- wake up at 530am
- go lift at 630am (i usually have a preworkout, if not then just coffee)
- have 3 scoops of whey protein in water and chug it after workout
- work till 9pm
- repeat :)

icey502

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 8, 2013
Chandler, AZ
I used to have a similar routine. I agree with the previous posters, it is better to work out on an empty stomach, particularly if weights are involved.

Here is what I did:
Take two shakers: one with your pre-workout drink (creatine-based or whatever). This is already mixed, drink it 30 mins before you walk into the gym.
...do the workout...
The other shaker is protein powder only, or your shake mix. Drink it within 60 minutes after your workout.

Your body can only digest about 30 grams of protein at a time, so I don't recommend chugging the protein shake. Space it out over the 60 min time frame.

Good luck.

Josh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 27, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I used to have a similar routine. I agree with the previous posters, it is better to work out on an empty stomach, particularly if weights are involved.

Here is what I did:
Take two shakers: one with your pre-workout drink (creatine-based or whatever). This is already mixed, drink it 30 mins before you walk into the gym.
...do the workout...
The other shaker is protein powder only, or your shake mix. Drink it within 60 minutes after your workout.

Your body can only digest about 30 grams of protein at a time, so I don't recommend chugging the protein shake. Space it out over the 60 min time frame.

Good luck.
The 30 grams digestion myth was created by supplement companies to convince people to break up their protein intake.

And what is the most convenient way to do that?

Protein shakes of course.

The standard scoop of protein powder is also surprisingly around 30 grams.

Brilliant marketing.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Is there a large advantage of working out early in the morn vs late at night? I wake up around 6:30 AM for school. I could either change my schedules to go to sleep early in order to be able to wake up in time to workout shower, or I could continue my schedule and workout at 9-10pm. I'm also throwing in running at 330pm everyday now that my soccer season (I'm a coach) is over. I'm going for weight loss, am 18 so young. Any suggestions?

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Is there a large advantage of working out early in the morn vs late at night? I wake up around 6:30 AM for school. I could either change my schedules to go to sleep early in order to be able to wake up in time to workout shower, or I could continue my schedule and workout at 9-10pm. I'm also throwing in running at 330pm everyday now that my soccer season (I'm a coach) is over. I'm going for weight loss, am 18 so young. Any suggestions?

SLAJ888

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 25, 2015
I'm guessing since you are a student you wouldn't want to be spending too much money on supplements, so i personally would do it like this.

Before training:
- wake up
- chug around 1L of water with Chlorophyll
- pre workout drink of choice

During training:
- BCAA drink

After workout:
- 1-2 servings of whey protein in water
- 5g of L-Glutamine
- 1 Banana

Then I would wait until first school break to have my first meal

People>Cash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 4, 2014
Honestly whatever keeps you in pattern and working out is what's best.

However, in a perfect world it's best to work out in the morning if you're trying to lose weight. Workout on an empty stomach the eat afterward.

Strength is best around 10 hours after waking up (plus or minus some time). So if you're going for strength gains afternoon could help.

My personal schedule is push-ups and ab exercises in the morning then breakfast to keep my body lean. Any additional work in the afternoon is for gains.

icey502

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 8, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Not true at all. The 30 gram protein thing is a complete myth.

Ok guys, I should have couched that one as "this is my opinion." As long as we're so certain, let's throw some links around and help the OP out.

Depends on the protein source, and a bunch of other factors:
http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-tr...often-you-should-eat-protein-to-build-muscle/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/532626-how-much-protein-can-be-digested-per-hour/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/487366-how-many-grams-of-protein-can-body-absorb-in-one-sitting/
http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/

The 30g thing is my own opinion, but not based on anti- or pro- supplement bias. It's based on my own digestion limitations and talking to other BB's about similar stuff over the last twenty years. Recommend you see what works for you.

MEAH

Lost Without A Map
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 24, 2015

Ideally for fat loss, you'd wake up 45 minutes earlier to do empty stomach cardio and get your running in at that point. Then eat breakfast, go to school, and train at 3:30 (in place of your current run).

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I'm guessing since you are a student you wouldn't want to be spending too much money on supplements, so i personally would do it like this.

Before training:
- wake up
- chug around 1L of water with Chlorophyll
- pre workout drink of choice

During training:
- BCAA drink

After workout:
- 1-2 servings of whey protein in water
- 5g of L-Glutamine
- 1 Banana

Then I would wait until first school break to have my first meal

Even that would put a pretty noticeable dent in my budget at this point, though.

SLAJ888

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 25, 2015
Even that would put a pretty noticeable dent in my budget at this point, though.
You could always swap the pre workout for a strong coffee and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, might sound weird but it works amazing and it's cheaper/healthier too.

The other stuff you can also get for very cheap if you look around. I'm not sure where you live, but have a site here in Australia called "bulknutrients" who I usually get my powders from and bodybuilding.com always has awesome deals if you're in the US

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Ok guys, I should have couched that one as "this is my opinion." As long as we're so certain, let's throw some links around and help the OP out.

Depends on the protein source, and a bunch of other factors:
http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-tr...often-you-should-eat-protein-to-build-muscle/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/532626-how-much-protein-can-be-digested-per-hour/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/487366-how-many-grams-of-protein-can-body-absorb-in-one-sitting/
http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/

The 30g thing is my own opinion, but not based on anti- or pro- supplement bias. It's based on my own digestion limitations and talking to other BB's about similar stuff over the last twenty years. Recommend you see what works for you.

(I'm not normally this rude) But OP completely ignore this advice. You could have one meal a day with all your carbs/fats/pro and you would look absolutely no different to someone who consumes the same amounts over however many meals. Macronutrient timing is a complete myth, it has been proven time and time again.

With regards to your early morning issue. I would try training fasted, if you are eating in a surplus (or maintenance) you will not need BCAA's as your body will not be catabolic. If you need a little boost have some coffee, pwo etc. There are numerous advantages to fasting and subsequently training fasted for muscle gain. Check out http://www.leangains.com/.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I got up at 5am to run, it felt pretty good. Tried to make eggs but we were out so i ate an apple and peanut butter crackers. I'm gonna read the book now, thanks all!

SLAJ888

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 25, 2015
(I'm not normally this rude) But OP completely ignore this advice. You could have one meal a day with all your carbs/fats/pro and you would look absolutely no different to someone who consumes the same amounts over however many meals. Macronutrient timing is a complete myth, it has been proven time and time again.

With regards to your early morning issue. I would try training fasted, if you are eating in a surplus (or maintenance) you will not need BCAA's as your body will not be catabolic. If you need a little boost have some coffee, pwo etc. There are numerous advantages to fasting and subsequently training fasted for muscle gain. Check out http://www.leangains.com/.
Agreed, meal timing does not matter and intermittent fasting is awesome. There's a cool book called "Man 2.0: Engineering the alpha" on those sort of things, hormones, training, nutrition and just how bullshit the fitness industry is

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Sorry that I reply that late.
Thanks for all your answers. I did it today and it was really awesome. I didnt even lost strenght since my last workouts always where in the afternoon.
Arrived at the gym at 6:20. All empty.

I ate a banane and 3x rice cake iat 5:15. Also I drank a espresso and a whey + creatine shake.
After workout I had a shaker full of 500g joghurt, 200g berries and 150g oats.
Arrived perfectly on time to school. 1st brake I ate 4 eggs.
2nd break 150g rice and 150g turkey.

Perfect feeling after workout in school. If you never trained in the morning definetly try it.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I tried working out empty in the morning today, was great and i was surprised ... Usually the first thing i think of waking up is breakfast and coffee ... Will do it more often

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.