The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Naivete is a Great Thing.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Honestly, Vigilante, you actually heard a real person say this? It is astounding that someone would say something this stupid.

I have had almost that exact line said to me probably 20 times in my life.

Last one was for a lazy boy type chair, but when it is folded out, you can pull out a bike deal and bicycle while watching TV. I would also like to note that he asked me 10 times if I was going to steal his idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
It is astounding that someone would say something this stupid.
They do.... and worse...

they come back later, when you are successful, and sue you because you stole their idea and did not share the profits with them. Clearly, you were partners! [[facebook-like stuff, but worse]]

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
"Oh you guys invest in real estate!" (stranger approaches my friend (who is also a landlord) and I while we were browsing at a bookstore) "I want to invest in real estate too! I know landlords can call their dogs tenants and things to get tax breaks!"

Er, what...? I can't even make this stuff up it's so stupid...but the look on my friend's face was priceless. I had to do everything in my power not to burst out laughing.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I know landlords can call their dogs tenants and things to get tax breaks!
I can see the book already:
"Advance Tax Loopholes for Landlords, Special Edition."

Credits:
"I want to thank my best tenants, Clifford, Lassie and Toto, for providing a great tax break for my business."

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I know this was a dead thread brought up, but it brings up a GREAT point. I'm 22 and when I first started a few years ago I was DEFINITELY the person the OP was talking about haha. In the long run... I did end up learning programming to write my own products and once I did, I found out the hard way about providing what the consumer wants.

My first attempt at a retail software product was trading software. Yes, my math and programming skills were there, yes I made great indicators that aren't available in many trading platforms, and no nobody wanted to use it. My only goal was to make money and to provide a product that will help others make money. Sounds like every single 20 year old kid I know, every "business" idea is about business haha. What I failed to realize is that large trading companies explicitly leave out the details of quantitative finance for a simple reason: The common person does not want to do hard work and research while trading through an online broker, trading is supposed to be quick and easy money. Even though that's the farthest thing from the truth, consumer's didn't want a complicated product. I got told that directly in which it hit me like a brick wall that I was developing a product for myself, not for my user.

As a good lesson, I decided to start mobile game programming. It's one of the few software products that can be made by a 1 man team with little overhead over the course of a month. It also forces me to focus on what the consumer wants and less on what I want. It allows me to learn about what consumer's want and desire, put myself in their shoes, and have a blast while doing it. Don't quote me now though, I'm definitely still in the learning process and don't have hard earned success, but each trial and failure leads to a better perspective and understanding of what it means to be an entrepreneur.

Great post, OP. :)

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
I have done all 3, gave equity, gave a salary, and hired someone off elance.

It's tough if you are not from an IT background, so you can't supervise or teach interns. Hiring IT interns/ students that learn on the job (by themselves, by doing) and have a technical supervisor can work.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
these comments make me shake my head.....

I am 20...Here is what I would do

Ask one question, maybe a compliment cause kissing a$$ and being polite are two different things,

then shut the F*ck up

and listen

and take notes.

just get ya talking. That's what's valuable.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Looks like zen******* is now "Deleted user" o_O

Anyways, sometimes I feel as useless as I think those guys in the OP's topic are...

Don't get me wrong:
I got a whole business plan laid out
Designed a whole fitness system for my specific audience, with possibilities to attract other groups as well.
Designed several other things next to it. such as Wall-calenders, progression charts and more.

Got a plan for attracting traffic ready
Different sources of income
Different plans for products/how to upsell/how to build out
Exit strategy if there would ever be need of one.

Created a website from scratch, with anything I could imagine.

BUT...now the big BUT(T)
No american bank account, so no possibility to put my site online.
No possibility to pay an editor to edit the books I'll put out.
No possibility to pay an actual designer to design the book covers
Overwhelmed by all the different things that need to be done. (ISBN's, Copyrights, taxes, legal setup, legal protection and whatever not.)
Big competition(Although no competition for this specific target audience, that are dearly in need of a good training system) and in the end I got no real credentials.
Also I'm not a resident of any country, so I cannot register a business(Wouldn't know how -to anyway, except for how to do it in my country, but there's no way that that could become profitable with the high amount of taxes.)
No clue about online gateway/money processors so I would probably end up using clickbank and paypal, but too afraid for buyers scam.

So for now I spend in a lot of work. (So far 1 year+ in product development.)
Got a great system now(I believe the best one in the field for this specific audience, and still a great system for others.),
- no pictures yet.
- got a decent looking website (I'd call it Simplistic, with a strong engine) that's sitting nice on my own laptop. without any pictures as all the "Free" stock photo sites are well...crap. (At least for my specific goal)

No chance in the near future to get a USA bank account, unless my company sends me to the USA next. then I can get a "Crew bank account" but not a business bank account....so I'm afraid to get caught as tax evasion/illegal company and so on.

So in the end...I got nothing, except for "wasting" a lot of time in the last year and a half, where I've been "no-lifing" in my cabin to write/work on the system/do topic research etc.

Just as useless as someone that doesn't do anything.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
It's taken me basically 148 days from my last post here to understand this.

I actually read my old ideas for a good laugh now and again. Thanks @JackEdwards for setting me down gently in our phone call. I realize how just how much I needed to learn.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
Well,

Anyways, sometimes I feel as useless as I think those guys in the OP's topic are...

Don't get me wrong:
Designed a whole fitness system for my specific audience, with possibilities to attract other groups as well.
Designed several other things next to it. such as Wall-calenders, progression charts and more.

BUT...now the big BUT(T)
Overwhelmed by all the different things that need to be done. (ISBN's, Copyrights, taxes, legal setup, legal protection and whatever not.)
Big competition(Although no competition for this specific target audience, that are dearly in need of a good training system) and in the end I got no real credentials.
Also I'm not a resident of any country, so I cannot register a business(Wouldn't know how -to anyway, except for how to do it in my country, but there's no way that that could become profitable with the high amount of taxes.)
No clue about online gateway/money processors so I would probably end up using clickbank and paypal, but too afraid for buyers scam.

Got a great system now(I believe the best one in the field for this specific audience, and still a great system for others.),
- no pictures yet.
- got a decent looking website (I'd call it Simplistic, with a strong engine) that's sitting nice on my own laptop. without any pictures as all the "Free" stock photo sites are well...crap. (At least for my specific goal)

No chance in the near future to get a USA bank account, unless my company sends me to the USA next. then I can get a "Crew bank account" but not a business bank account....so I'm afraid to get caught as tax evasion/illegal company and so on.

So in the end...I got nothing, except for "wasting" a lot of time in the last year and a half, where I've been "no-lifing" in my cabin to write/work on the system/do topic research etc.

Well, as far as I can observe, the biggest wall you have to overcome is fear. This is how I've beaten my fear:
consider your happiness with your life as it is. Is your life now so good that you can't possibly risk fraud and tax evasion? You're here. On this forum. Looking for ways to get wealthy. That means that somewhere inside you, there's still a desire.

The quickest way from A to B is a straight line. Fear, procrastination, anxiety, mind blocks, as well as, idiot acquaintances, lack of confidence, etc. are all curves in the road to wealth. If you remember from the book- your vehicle is you, then you'll understand that smashing right trough curves and driving over grass might not be very good for the car, it will still get to the finish line first.

This is my advice: on the road to wealth, if the road is leading to where you want to be, never stop before the destination. No, not even for a piss. Take all risks, if they can't be avoided.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
sarcasm/

I thought, lol, this thread would be about the benefits of being naive, but apparently not.

Obviously people that copy famous sites, think in terms of money and "ideas", just don't understand the depth of business. Sometimes that lack of understanding is something to ridicule but other times it is not.

Sometimes, not understanding business is in earnest, and a person knows that unearthing it all by themselves is going to suck. They desire respect, guidance, and not to be tricked or duped out of what little they have to work with.

Often their ideas seem poor, and their lack of execution innevitable, but from these mistakes, or from these germs of an idea, if they gain a deep understanding of business something can grow from it.

All the sarcasm in this thread is really just saying "I am unpleased with, people being unable to derive worth, from their instinct", but it never ONCE remembers or addresses the fact, that we ALL begin with only a GERM of a great idea.

It is naive and wishful thinking that attempts to protect that idea, but it is, by trying to get an entreprenuer to accomplish it for them, that they are trying to shed naivety by assosciation.
IF they choose to remain naive, and do not give their power away, they may succeed through earnest effort. If they give up that naivety to guys who wanna chuff and scoff, then it tells the entreprenuer that they have no self respect and allows them to bulldoze.

I will say this, it is BULLSH#T to abuse people's faith in your capabilities, for the sake of validating your "entreprenuerial expertise".

If you are truly confident you can stand on your own two feet and not be irrtated by people who do not know how to be their best yet.
Business IS hard, and I think its BS to ridicule people as if it IS easy.

It is hard, and to get to their goals they are going to have to struggle.

Of course the posters in this thread are just saying "its not that easy".
But you are right, IT ISN'T that easy, and thats why people rely on you to give them a nod, or a comforting word or two.

Sometimes ridicule is just not necessary.

I have a lot of love for the people who try, and by having that respect for them, I do not wish for them to get caught up in pissing contests.
It is exactly these pissing contests that create a lack of confidence for beginners in the first place. You make them anxious, you make them feel as if the opportunity is right in front of them, but neither is true or thorough.

People make mistakes, and it is ok. Mistakes and success are not at all mutually exclusive.
If a person has the will and the fortitude, they might find a way, and hopefully they do.
But I would not say the end desired destination is to forget where you yourself have been.

I dunno, it just strikes me as immature.

Naivety is a good thing, because the most original germs of ideas are created before you get complacent.

Not all people are ambitious, true, but to sadistically revel in it... Psshh...
No one DESERVES to suffer, because we as business leaders FAIL to communicate with them.
We think they deserve suffering, because we KNOW we need them, and because we know we can get away with blaming them.

But its a cheap shot, and I think we should all strive to be above such pettiness.
Naivety does have a use, and people, who make mistakes, can still deserve respect and help.
Don't take it out on them, if you can't seperate fakers from the earnest, its our responsibility to see the difference or politely decline to.

*facepalm*
Naive ideas are the start, you just have to keep going, keep developing.

Its stuff like this that makes me lose faith in business leaders.
To disrespect the "youth" is to disrespect yourself.
And to lack that comprehension astounds and dissapoints me as greatly as these feigned disappointments described.

Even the most skillful entreprenuers need to grow up sometimes... Geez..

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
How about getting off your soap box and instead pointing the users of the forum to your progress thread with specific measurable results?

The reason that this thread exists, is that there are people who have an idea, and there are the people who understand that the idea is the first step out of many, and once the idea has to be checked through reality, THAT is where things get specific, competitive, expensive, mundane. Those who never took the effort to explore that are still scared and are wasting people's time who can objectively understand what it takes to birth and idea into a process.

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015

Don't get me wrong:

BUT...now the big BUT(T)

- no pictures yet.

Have you considered using Payoneer? It gives you an American bank account (at Bank of America, I believe) specifically used for running businesses. You can then transfer the funds into your local bank account or withdraw the cash using its MasterCard at an ATM.
There's a 25USD annual fee but you can get the first year's waived by registering through my affiliate link here if you decide to sign up, so you can try it for free: http://share.payoneer-affiliates.com/v2/share/6142547454347177595
Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads