The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to motivate yourself to accomplish tasks

Anything related to matters of the mind

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
This won't be comprehensive so feel free to add in your 2 cents, I just wanna give you a nice little tip I found.

Find out why you want to do each particular small task, and wrestle with it until you reach a consensus and desire either way on the task (if you do not want to do it you need to know that so you can work on other things, don't string yourself along).

Find a "holy crap, yes, I want to do it now" reason for the tasks you do want to do. Not vague stuff like "cuz I need money" or "in the end I'll be rich" because you can get rich a lot of ways, even by sitting around doing very little work and just doing whatever you like (that isn't the likely outcome of that behaviour but even though controversial it can be done I'm sure).
Specific things are the best, "haha, they'll spit milk when they see this posted", "oh nice, I wanted to try something like that".

And if that doesn't work, or you forget the tasks, just stop and wait, and say to yourself "what have I forgotten to do?" and if you are avoiding it, ask why OR set a simpler goal you can stick to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
read motivational books and watch motivational speakers such as les brown,eric thomas and brian tracy.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
i think winning the mental battle at least some of the time is what separates the doers from uhh not doers...

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
I tried make a to-do list for everything that I need to accomplish in a day but that didn't work. What I tried next was to just write down every task I completed in a notebook. This helped a lot more because I felt proud every time I added a new completed task to the list, like it was some sort of game, and I was earning a higher score. One more thing that helped a lot was to make a thread over in the Progress/Execution area of the forum. I made one for my work a couple of days ago and I already feel much more motivated to work. Today isn't even over and I completed more than I usually do in a week. It really helps to hold yourself accountable.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The motivation can be different for everyone. The internal battle desires you to take a stand. I was thinking today, I used to have this belief that motivated me. Stand up for what you believe.

And watching myself change and grow over the last five years tremendously, that statement is truly worthless. "Stand up for what you believe or you stand up for nothing." If you have the wrong beliefs, you're standing up for the wrong thing. Beliefs change, and it's necessary to change to become your full potential. And usually beliefs at some point get shattered by the next belief when you find out the truth about the last belief. I can't say how many times I've done this the last five years. And it never amazes me how many false beliefs we can carry around.

Motivation has to come from inside. And one point I had a big problem with motivation five years ago. At first it was something little that would motivate me like friends inspiring me. The huge motivators are life changing ones, knowing the pain is great enough to propel you to do something you've never done before. And I agree it is the battle of the mind, against stress, time, and taking action.

And five years later I'm the complete opposite. If I'm not doing something, I feel guilty for not taking some kind of action every day. Motivations change along the way. Back then it was to heal my depression and beat it. And then it was finding out how I could truly help others in the same situation. Now, I see how it all works, how chaos and confusion is needed to bring great change in a person. Where I was more of a victim there, i'm a complete stranger and at the other end of the spectrum emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. Almost like I don't even know the person anymore. And the beliefs were different. The motivations were different. What ever you believe motivates you to do something.

Motivation is the desire to have something you haven't yet achieved in life. Inner motivation has to be clear and concise. The mind has to be crystal clear about what it desires to put in effect. Precision, clarity, focus, and following that vision is the ultimate goal. Until all the battles of the mind have calmed down and you learn to focus on your goal, it makes it hard to succeed. It wouldn't matter how many people point the way, or good guidance they give, until you have it figured out you'll drive around in circles until you have that "aha" moment, and everything becomes clear. And when you see that vision, it becomes the motivation to pursue it.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
633 reasons to work hard in life:
Simplified: Three things. Nice cars, nice vacations, and I guess if you're a guy women. :) lol

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Simplified: Three things. Nice cars, nice vacations, and I guess if you're a guy women. :) lol
Sounds about right. A jet and a yacht wouldnt hurt though.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
usually beliefs at some point get shattered by the next belief when you find out the truth about the last belief. I can't say how many times I've done this the last five years. And it never amazes me how many false beliefs we can carry around.
Yeah, I agree, thats how you have to grow as an Entreprenuer, business person, and as a writer, if you don't develop your beliefs they'll never hold the substance that will make them strong or the perspective that will make them understanding.

Simplified: Three things. Nice cars, nice vacations, and I guess if you're a guy women.
Lol, that doesn't work for me, I don't need a car, I never really take vacations, and I don't think money helps me with women in any other way than taking up time I could otherwise spend with them. :p

Now, I see how it all works, how chaos and confusion is needed to bring great change in a person. Where I was more of a victim there, i'm a complete stranger and at the other end of the spectrum emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. Almost like I don't even know the person anymore. And the beliefs were different. The motivations were different. What ever you believe motivates you to do something.

Yeah, the motivations have to evolve, or you can't grow.

Until all the battles of the mind have calmed down and you learn to focus on your goal, it makes it hard to succeed. It wouldn't matter how many people point the way, or good guidance they give, until you have it figured out you'll drive around in circles until you have that "aha" moment, and everything becomes clear

Harmony, pertinence, etc

Funny how the chaos needed to change and the harmony needed to achieve it are at odds with each other :p

Basilius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 26, 2015
Czech Republic
I used to think that will power was the answer, but soon (after many failed attempts) realized that the will power is not the way to go. Instead of pushing myself to my goals I started visualizing the desired outcome of my actions. Therefore I'm not pushing myself to do something, I'm being pulled. When I feel like not doing any work (even though I've created a habit of working at least 2 hours every day) I just lie down, put headphones on, turn on my favorite motivational music and start visualizing. This does magic to me.

A few weeks back when browsing the forum I stumbled upon a post from @FionaS mentioning HabitRPG. I checked it out and am absolutely loving it! It's fun to go ahead and smash tasks in order to gain some gold, experience and mana :)

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
633 reasons to work hard in life:

http://www.everydayluxurylife.com/
That video on the bottom of the front page is beautiful.

Cant stop watching it. Repeated it atleast 5 times now. I visualize success in my head but when i actually see it like this motivates me. Its 4 AM and i dont wanna sleep i just want to work on my business LOL.

Last edited:

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
That video on the bottom of the front page is beautiful.

Cant stop watching it. Repeated it atleast 5 times now. I visualize success in my head but when i actually see it like this motivates me. Its 4 AM and i dont wanna sleep i just want to work on my business LOL.
Another reminder that "comfortable" and "average" life of the 99% is a complete lie. Doing things like those in the video, that's F*cking living.1am here, back to work as well.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
The three elements of getting shit done are the following

1) Identity - your beliefs about who you are and what you do
2) Environment - make the bad option more inconvenient than the good one
3) Habit - formed by identity and helped along by environment.

Ways you can influence identity:

• Visualization
  • Affirmation
  • NLP
  • Actual Action (remember to actively acknowledge your achievements)

Ways you can influence environment:
  • Identify time-wasters and throw them away (including your computer, your phone, your whatever)
  • Identify shitty people and replace them with better ones
  • Identify what things make you feel productive and bring them into your life

Ways you can influence habit:

• Find triggers for bad habits and replace with good actions
  • Eliminate as many environmental triggers for bad habits as possible
  • Use accountability partners, self rewards and identity to reward action

(BTW, the ACTUAL shortcut to productivity is to dump/replace your friends, destroy all communication devices and start a B&M business. But neither of us are willing to do that.)

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Ok so this is what motivates me and get me to do the task infront of me, even when I don't want to do it.

1. I will die soon enough (80+ years If I´m lucky is nothing compared to how long humans have been walking on this earth.) So why not push it and try to fulfil a dream?

2. I hate being poor or don't have enough money to do all the things I REALLY want to try.
Want example?
Sure. Buy a yatch, have people working on that yatch, have them sail me to some F*cking awesome place, or just around the world really. Have a private plane, go to vegas, gamble, get drunk, F*ck, smoke, feel awful the day after, then do it again.
Coming up with the brilliant idea to do a roadtrip when Im at a friends place, drunk, and then pay for him, me and some other friends, paying a limo driver, drive us around and doing crazy stuff, memorable stuff, living life.

3. Pay off my mothers student-loan and give my mom and dad money to retire.

4. Help people in the third world.
A good example here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2625598/.

5. Get the F*ck out of the rat-race once and for all. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate my dayjob.

6. I don't know why but when I work on Fridays, Saturdays, when I know people are out and having fun, and me slaving away infront of the computer or practising copywriting, I just feel F*cking awesome that Im moving forward and beating everybody else in the game of life. Maybe its my narcissistic side that is showing up here, but it helps anyways.

This pretty much gets me going.

Wow, just writing this got me fired up (+ a bit of whiskey), going to copy some ads! Lets win in the game of life you all :).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.