The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Im looking to learn how to develop a website

nick howze

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 19, 2015
Hello my name is nick, im currently in the process of learning how to web design i have been looking for books and online programs that will help master the skill. my problem is that there is so much out there, and that i don't know where to start let alone what books and programs are well organized. Any help on what sites or books to use would be highly appreciated!

Thank you :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Hello my name is nick, im currently in the process of learning how to web design i have been looking for books and online programs that will help master the skill. my problem is that there is so much out there, and that i don't know where to start let alone what books and programs are well organized. Any help on what sites or books to use would be highly appreciated!

Thank you :D

Here's what you can do

Follow this tut https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/wordpress-tutorial-collection.54296/

Pick a youtube vid that you like and start practicing.
It takes awhile to get good so put the work in.

Last edited by a moderator:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA

Then don't waste your time learning to code much. Check out 99lime / HTML kickstart. Google some youtube tutuorials. If you want a more adaptive/responsive/non-brochure website learn a CMS like wordpress.

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
codecademy.com helped me get started with html/css. It's a free interactive tutorial site that gets you started on the basics of coding. I also have a visual friendly book that is great for walking through the basics of html & css called "HTML & CSS, Design and Build Websites" by Jon Duckett.

Hanalore

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 18, 2015
Pacific NW
Coding is good to learn but you should decide what software to use, then concentrate on that that. Example, if you use or WordPress, concentrate solely on learning that otherwise you will be inundated with a bunch of coding when you won't necessarily need it. My experience, I self taught myself how to build my very first website over ten years ago in pure HTML. Now days, the programs are so user friendly. If you use, as the example WordPress, you can look at the coding while or even after you design the website and learn it that way. Instructional videos and tutorials are very helpful as well.

Unfortunately, you haven't mentioned intent, content, layout, and design though. Visit other websites that that interest you that use the same platform you're designing in (ie WordPress). Start by trying to set up the layout and using their tools to mimic (don't duplicate, because of copyright), and then experiment on you own to see what works. Especially if you're designing for income, you'll need to determine the intent and content of the site as well as what the client wants it to look like.

Good luck!

robdekovich

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Apr 8, 2015
Metro-Detroit, MI
A good, free place to start is KhanAcademy.com. I'm learning basic JS right now, but it goes in depth with animation and then HTML and CSS script. You can also use Khan Academy for many other things. A lot of good information on there about economics, math, computer science, programming, etc.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
just torrent some courses and books bro i find alot of value in that lol.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
codecademy.com helped me get started with html/css. It's a free interactive tutorial site that gets you started on the basics of coding. I also have a visual friendly book that is great for walking through the basics of html & css called "HTML & CSS, Design and Build Websites" by Jon Duckett.
This. Start with this.

I cannot really give you much advice on specific things to study (although I kind of like the CodeAcademy hands-on approach), since I have been programming for more than half my life.

But. I can get you some general advice on how and what to do.

1. Learn by Doing. Seriously, follow the CodeAcademy courses in something, than build things. Then build again. Do not fall into the trap of "needing to know more", do not read 600 pages books. Programming is not a science, is a craft, and you get good by doing it. Get the basic and then use Google when you need a specific thing. There's simply too much info to just know it.
  2. Read Code, Not Manuals. OF course, you need to learn things before you know them. But once you have got your basic knowledge on something pick some project on GitHub and read the code. See a cool website and read its code. Understand it all. Make notes if you need.
  3. Show Your Code Around. Have someone see the code you write and give you feedback on it. Refactor it. Maybe choose a circle of sorts (there are all kinds of chatrooms, forums, reddits, and so on) and hang there and read code and have your reviewed.

I will edit if I have more stuff comes to mind.

nick howze

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 19, 2015
This. Start with this.

I cannot really give you much advice on specific things to study (although I kind of like the CodeAcademy hands-on approach), since I have been programming for more than half my life.

But. I can get you some general advice on how and what to do.

1. Learn by Doing. Seriously, follow the CodeAcademy courses in something, than build things. Then build again. Do not fall into the trap of "needing to know more", do not read 600 pages books. Programming is not a science, is a craft, and you get good by doing it. Get the basic and then use Google when you need a specific thing. There's simply too much info to just know it.
  2. Read Code, Not Manuals. OF course, you need to learn things before you know them. But once you have got your basic knowledge on something pick some project on GitHub and read the code. See a cool website and read its code. Understand it all. Make notes if you need.
  3. Show Your Code Around. Have someone see the code you write and give you feedback on it. Refactor it. Maybe choose a circle of sorts (there are all kinds of chatrooms, forums, reddits, and so on) and hang there and read code and have your reviewed.

I will edit if I have more stuff comes to mind.
Thank you very much! there so much information out there im so eager to learn!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
https://www.codeschool.com/

They have many free courses which are a great start, and the concept is much fun - short and to the point videos, then it's your turn to practice a little bit, then another video.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Html, CSS, Javascript, and a backend language. Html and css are pretty darn easy, so the real trouble is Javascript and your back end language, you just need to get very familiar with it, develop muscle memory, not think too much about it.

Then imo, its all about
Knowing how to frame things, knowing how to catch the eye and intruige people, how to make people feel comfortable.

Most designers, design to THEIR eye, but you have to consider a persons concerns, and the needlessness of certain aesthetics or tricks.

Generally to design a web you have to know on paper what it is and where it is going, because if the vision sucks the code will be tedious to do, and you'll have to redo it and will feel stuck with bad product and it will land a blow to your motivation to code.

IMO, its all just about the framing of an idea, the ease of a process, and the professionalism of the package.

So you design a nice presentation, (probably requires jquery), you set up a nice process thats clear and concise, and you look at competitors and such and design in that professional look.

Badda bing badda boom.

I think your eye for a website is the most crucial thing, and the irony is, you can't be dependant on aesthetics, you have to be efficient about tasks, and make sure its for your audience.

Because imo, a webs job is to process clients, not sit on its hands and look pretty. Marketting pulls in the clients, product keeps them coming.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"I'm looking to ... learn how to ... develop a website."

That's quite a long sentence. :)

IMO, you don't want to learn how to develop a website.

You don't even want to develop a website.

You want to help someone, where building a website is going to help you do that better.

Where am I going with this?

When I wanted to "learn how to build websites" I realised I would be learning lots of unnecessary stuff if I went through tutorials or books or courses or manuals.

Instead, I went looking for someone I knew who needed help and who a website could help get them more work.

An out of work electrician friend bit my hand off when I offered to build him a website.

Then I had a goal of helping someone, and the learning was "just in time learning" to solve the current obstacle in the way so that I could get the website built so that I could help my friend.

Just my 2c for a different perspective.

Last edited:

MEAH

Lost Without A Map
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 24, 2015
best thing that worked for me is picking one platform I wanted to learn everything about, in my case Wordpress and then just jumping in head first and using Google to figure out anything I couldnt figure out on my own.

I tried to tackle learning everything from the beginning and it was too much. Soon as I narrowed down my focus things got a ton easier

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.