The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What should you focus on?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Joaki

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Feb 15, 2015
FL
Hello Fastlaners,

I have been lurking these forums for a couple of weeks now and I am truly surprised at all the valuable information kept here.

Every thread you enter you see great people helping each other. For nothing at all.

What a great community.

I hope that I can provide you guys with as much value as you have provided to me.

I am a 19 year old guy balancing full time school, full time work, and my entrepreneurial ventures.(There aren't too many of those but that will change)

For the past couple of days I have been asking myself what is the one thing that I need to focus on every single day, in order to move closer to my goals despite anything that may get in my way.

My answer to this is reading.
I focus on learning new things daily and desperately looking for ways to add value to peoples lifes.

What do you guys focus on daily in order to progressively get closer to your goals?

I feel like I'm reading too much and not taking action in the little free time that I have. Giving myself the excuse that I need to know everything before doing anything. When I should be taking all types of action and learning throughout the process.

I would love to hear what are everyones views on this topic and hope that others may also benefit from your answers.

Thank you for reading this

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
1 Get a coin
2 Assign 1 choice to each side
3 Flip the coin
4 (coin in air) The side you find your self rooting for go with that
5a Coin lands your preferred side increase focus x10
5b If other side (see 4)

Evaluate your choice after some time to see if what you
have chosen is either helping or hurting your goals.

Zl1996

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Mar 25, 2015
I think that a common problem is people taking too much time 'building up' rather than ever actually starting to execute on a project. I think that the best thing to do (I am the same age as you) is to map out what you need to know, learn it, and then start to find problems (opportunities) that you can address in an entrepreneurial fashion. The kind of problems that I am thinking about are the kind of problems that would probably require an engineer to solve, so in my case I am going to train myself to think in an engineering fashion, learning math and science from online resources. I think that you could benefit (if you haven't already) from learning copy-writing and marketing.

My last piece of advice is don't rush into any entrepreneurial venture that doesn't feel right with your gut. If eCommerce doesn't feel right to you, don't pursue it because you wont be able to succeed. If blogging doesn't feel right to you, don't do it. You will only end up producing bland content. Find an actual problem that other people have, solve it, market it, and you will make cash.

StayPositive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Mar 20, 2014
I feel like I'm reading too much and not taking action in the little free time that I have. Giving myself the excuse that I need to know everything before doing anything. When I should be taking all types of action and learning throughout the process.
If you feel that way, you are probably right.

I have been there too. I kept reading to feel better ("I am doing beneficial things, right?"). But it was just some kind of self-deception as I made almost zero action.

Then I said to myself: "No more reading until I create the value and make my business profitable!" I stopped reading books, I even stopped visiting the Forum. It took me about 6 months of hard work but now I have two businesses and I can give some knowledge back to the community.

Devote yourself, it will eventually pay off and you will have a lot of time for reading.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hello Fastlaners,

I have been lurking these forums for a couple of weeks now and I am truly surprised at all the valuable information kept here.

Every thread you enter you see great people helping each other. For nothing at all.

What a great community.

I hope that I can provide you guys with as much value as you have provided to me.

I am a 19 year old guy balancing full time school, full time work, and my entrepreneurial ventures.(There aren't too many of those but that will change)

For the past couple of days I have been asking myself what is the one thing that I need to focus on every single day, in order to move closer to my goals despite anything that may get in my way.

My answer to this is reading.
I focus on learning new things daily and desperately looking for ways to add value to peoples lifes.

What do you guys focus on daily in order to progressively get closer to your goals?

I would love to hear what are everyones views on this topic and hope that others may also benefit from your answers.

Thank you for reading this

Hey bud,

I remember when I was your age I did a LOT of reading, and it's starting to pay off now, but now for me is nearly 10 years later. So, if you're gonna read, then you may benefit more if you give your reading a sense of direction.

I can't assume to know what you're reading, but you might ask yourself if it actually moves you closer to your goals.

Does what your reading give you skills or does it just make you feel good?

Is it technical (does it help you learn how to do something like sell, persuade, build a website etc.) or is it simply motivational?

There's nothing wrong with motivational books, but after you read a couple good ones, then you pretty much get the gist of it, and judging by your post, it appears you already understand the concepts of providing value and helping others.

Don't overextend yourself. If you've got school & a job going on then be sure not to overwhelm yourself because burnout is a real pain in the butt.

But, what if you read just 10 pages a day? Would you still gain knowledge? Would you also have time for action?

What if you chose a direction and started your first business at the same time? What if you did this today?

What if you took 1 action a day toward your goals, and read books, blogs, articles or whatever else whenever you need to learn something to overcome specific challenges? How fast would you move forward then?

Business & life are very much about balance, and balance is kind of like a clock. When all the inner cogs function together at the right intervals, then everything clicks & it automatically provides value in the form of time.

Balance is key.

Find balance between reading, action & other stuff & you may notice things start to happen fast, and your ability to create value becomes virtually automatic.

:)

Last edited:

shangbang

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 4, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I have felt the same as @Joaquin for a long long time, reading and gathering knowledge is always good but at times it can also be a form of procrastination.

It occurred to me while watching a newbie playing basketball that you can't really read a book on basketball and be good at it. In entrepreneurial ventures it is the same.

What got me past this phase was to pick something simple to do myself and just ship it no matter what. I've learned so much by doing this, I had to learn along the way which forced me to read even more but this time I was reading with an exact purpose which can be applied.

Hope this helps mate!

Last edited:

valuecreator

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
Focus. Yes. That's the key, mate.

Listen, It's just too easy to fall into Information Overflow. Distractions everywhere!

The way I see it, it's rather like what Michelangelo said about sculpting: to achieve growth and freedom, one need only remove the unnecessary stone, underneath which lies the masterpiece. So less is more.

When you get down to it, that means to stop selling your time. Instead spend your time selling.

If you don't know how to sell, it's ok! You'll learn fast enough...

Just remember: You can't turn a No into a Yes without a Maybe in between.

nomeus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 16, 2015
There are things that you want to do, and things that need to be done! And not always they are the same!

-- So do what you need to do to be able to do what you want to do! / I have no idea who said this first /

Joaki

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Feb 15, 2015
FL
I think that a common problem is people taking too much time 'building up' rather than ever actually starting to execute on a project. I think that the best thing to do (I am the same age as you) is to map out what you need to know, learn it, and then start to find problems (opportunities) that you can address in an entrepreneurial fashion. The kind of problems that I am thinking about are the kind of problems that would probably require an engineer to solve, so in my case I am going to train myself to think in an engineering fashion, learning math and science from online resources. I think that you could benefit (if you haven't already) from learning copy-writing and marketing.

My last piece of advice is don't rush into any entrepreneurial venture that doesn't feel right with your gut. If eCommerce doesn't feel right to you, don't pursue it because you wont be able to succeed. If blogging doesn't feel right to you, don't do it. You will only end up producing bland content. Find an actual problem that other people have, solve it, market it, and you will make cash.
Wow. Great to see someone my age on a similar path.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your post!
If you feel that way, you are probably right.

I have been there too. I kept reading to feel better ("I am doing beneficial things, right?"). But it was just some kind of self-deception as I made almost zero action.

Then I said to myself: "No more reading until I create the value and make my business profitable!" I stopped reading books, I even stopped visiting the Forum. It took me about 6 months of hard work but now I have two businesses and I can give some knowledge back to the community.

Devote yourself, it will eventually pay off and you will have a lot of time for reading.

First, congratulations on going from no business to TWO!

Second, thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts!

Made me smile when I read ("I'm doing beneficial things, right?") because that it exactly what I ask myself in order to make myself think I am!

Quick question about your businesses, and they B&M or online?

Last edited:

Joaki

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Feb 15, 2015
FL
Hey bud,

I remember when I was your age I did a LOT of reading, and it's starting to pay off now, but now for me is nearly 10 years later. So, if you're gonna read, then you may benefit more if you give your reading a sense of direction.

I can't assume to know what you're reading, but you might ask yourself if it actually moves you closer to your goals.

Does what your reading give you skills or does it just make you feel good?

Is it technical (does it help you learn how to do something like sell, persuade, build a website etc.) or is it simply motivational?

There's nothing wrong with motivational books, but after you read a couple good ones, then you pretty much get the gist of it, and judging by your post, it appears you already understand the concepts of providing value and helping others.

Don't overextend yourself. If you've got school & a job going on then be sure not to overwhelm yourself because burnout is a real pain in the butt.

But, what if you read just 10 pages a day? Would you still gain knowledge? Would you also have time for action?

What if you chose a direction and started your first business at the same time? What if you did this today?

What if you took 1 action a day toward your goals, and read books, blogs, articles or whatever else whenever you need to learn something to overcome specific challenges? How fast would you move forward then?

Business & life are very much about balance, and balance is kind of like a clock. When all the inner cogs function together at the right intervals, then everything clicks & it automatically provides value in the form of time.

Balance is key.

Find balance between reading, action & other stuff & you may notice things start to happen fast, and your ability to create value becomes virtually automatic.

:)

I think I'm over the motivational books. Like you said, after the first few it's the same content regurgitated with a twist.

I'm reading The Boron Letters at the moment.

Also, about the burning out, I don't know if it's because I'm young but I feel like I would never burn out. Everything I do, learning BI at work, going to school, makes me feel like I'm getting closer to my goals and helping me acquire the skills that I will need for whatever is coming and all of that gets me up real fast in the morning! Nonetheless, balance is key.

Thank you for such valuable advice
I have felt the same @Joaquin for a long long time, reading and gathering knowledge is always but at times it can also be a form of procrastination.

It occurred to me while watching a newbie playing basketball that you can't really read a book on basketball and be good at it. In entrepreneurial ventures it is the same.

What got me past this phase was to pick something simple to do myself and just ship it no matter what. I've learned so much by doing this, I had to learn along the way which forced me to read even more but this time I was reading with an exact purpose which can be applied.

Hope this helps mate!

Yes. Procrastination. That is the word.

That is exactly what it feels like and even knowing what I'm doing, I still do it.

It's time to just decide the opposite and disregard anything that remotely feels like procrastinating.

Thank you for your words!
Focus. Yes. That's the key, mate.

Listen, It's just too easy to fall into Information Overflow. Distractions everywhere!

The way I see it, it's rather like what Michelangelo said about sculpting: to achieve growth and freedom, one need only remove the unnecessary stone, underneath which lies the masterpiece. So less is more.

When you get down to it, that means to stop selling your time. Instead spend your time selling.

If you don't know how to sell, it's ok! You'll learn fast enough...

Just remember: You can't turn a No into a Yes without a Maybe in between.

Less is more.

That is right my friend.

Thank you!

To get better at selling by selling.
There are things that you want to do, and things that need to be done! And not always they are the same!

-- So do what you need to do to be able to do what you want to do! / I have no idea who said this first /

Powerful quotes. Thanks!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Seems like you have your hands full but I would say decide what you want, make a plan on how you are going to get there and then take one little step every day towards that goal. A man can move a mountain if he does it one stone at a time.

Joaki

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Feb 15, 2015
FL
Seems like you have your hands full but I would say decide what you want, make a plan on how you are going to get there and then take one little step every day towards that goal. A man can move a mountain if he does it one stone at a time.

I have decided what I want.

RazorCut, it seems like making a plan on how to achieve your goals is a commonly used phrase here. I feel like my plan would be very general, as I know that I will do whatever it takes. But simply heading a paper "Plan" and writing "Whatever it takes" doesn't seem like a good idea.

I'm I viewing this the wrong way? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you for sharing the knowledge

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I have decided what I want.

RazorCut, it seems like making a plan on how to achieve your goals is a commonly used phrase here. I feel like my plan would be very general, as I know that I will do whatever it takes. But simply heading a paper "Plan" and writing "Whatever it takes" doesn't seem like a good idea.

I'm I viewing this the wrong way? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you for sharing the knowledge

A plan (whatever it is) gives you purpose and direction. Without it you are a rudderless ship at the mercy of tide and wind. You need a map, a compass and a destination or your lack of purpose and will either lead to procrastinate or you will spend a good deal of your time working on stuff that does not lead you in a consistent direction.

Remember the plan does not have to be perfect it just needs to be a plan. Any plan you make will change over time as you grow as a person, learn more, and as circumstances change.

Whatever the destination one thing is for sure, it needs a constant eye on the compass to ensure you don’t drift off course. You can either make regular small adjustments or irregular large corrections, both will do it but little and often is much more efficient in my book.

Think long and hard about your destination. Think about how you would like to live your life in 5, 10, 20 years from now. Make THAT your goal, then look at what options there are to get you there.

Too many people (including myself) have worked away building a successful business only to discover that they didn't like the end result when they got there (in my case lots of hours/staff/premises/stress etc.). I was happy with that 5 years ago but I have changed a lot since then and therefore so has my plans.

I have recently jacked it all in to go back to square one and build something far more in keeping with how I now want to live my life.

I hope that gives you pause for thought.

Last edited:

DawnW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Feb 2, 2015
Your motivation is a great asset. Reading and learning will always be important but it does sound like you need to execute more. We all probably have the fear of failure due to not knowing but the only way to produce is to produce. I would suggest executing right away by splitting your time 50/50 on planning and executing. That may be uncomfortable at first but knowledge without experience is not usually very valuable. Also, be flexible and agile so that if something isn't working, you change it.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Joaki

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Feb 15, 2015
FL
A plan (whatever it is) gives you purpose and direction. Without it you are a rudderless ship at the mercy of tide and wind. You need a map, a compass and a destination or your lack of purpose and will either lead to procrastinate or you will spend a good deal of your time working on stuff that does not lead you in a consistent direction.

Remember the plan does not have to be perfect it just needs to be a plan. Any plan you make will change over time as you grow as a person, learn more, and as circumstances change.

Whatever the destination one thing is for sure, it needs a constant eye on the compass to ensure you don’t drift off course. You can either make regular small adjustments or irregular large corrections, both will do it but little and often is much more efficient in my book.

Think long and hard about your destination. Think about how you would like to live your life in 5, 10, 20 years from now. Make THAT your goal, then look at what options there are to get you there.

Too many people (including myself) have worked away building a successful business only to discover that they didn't like the end result when they got there (in my case lots of hours/staff/premises/stress etc.). I was happy with that 5 years ago but I have changed a lot since then and therefore so has my plans.

I have recently jacked it all in to go back to square one and build something far more in keeping with how I now want to live my life.

I hope that gives you pause for thought.

What a great read.

Definitely some relevant and valuable information in there.

Thank you for your reply Razor
Sell to be a good seller?
Be a better you than yesterday.
Funny, I have this written in my wallet.

Great words

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Customer retention.

Please SEARCH before posting.