The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Setting Goals...and following them

Anything related to matters of the mind

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
Wondering what you do to reach your goals? How do you set up specific plan and course of action to achieve them all while keeping track of progess? I have certain goals that I would like to reach within the week, month, year, five years, ten years..etc I find them vague with little specific outline on how I can actually achieve them. Outside of sticky notes what are you using to track these?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
The better the goal, the easier to follow.

So at the start you MUST trash 9999:1 ideas
It is hard to plan under that kind of refresh rate

So... Don't plan, AIM at the nearest points of interest, and see what pops out.
Test, sample, explore, try.

Try to push your ability to comprehend further each day, your ability to aim bigger every day, your ability to have results every day.

It takes a while before actually cohesive plans form, because you need to feel like a leader and have the experience and credibility amassed, before following your plans makes any sense.

Get started and keep going is a good first plan.
And its trickier than it seems.

David Wills

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Feb 26, 2015
Also I think that it is important setting the goals but also setting the expected progress realistically. If you set a expected progress too ambitious, you will get demotivated and then is when you start to not follow your goals. Just as opinion.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Wondering what you do to reach your goals? How do you set up specific plan and course of action to achieve them all while keeping track of progess? I have certain goals that I would like to reach within the week, month, year, five years, ten years..etc I find them vague with little specific outline on how I can actually achieve them. Outside of sticky notes what are you using to track these?
"The easiest way to see the path up the mountain, is from the top"

Close your eyes and imagine you just achieved your goals. Notice what you see, hear, and feel. Get those feelings going. Then rewind through time to think of the major steps you took along the way to get there (hiring employees, raising funding, buying ads, creating the product, etc.)

Rewind all the way to your first step that you have to take, and then RUN forward. There could be a million different step 2's . Focus on The "now" step and adjust along the way.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

StayPositive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Mar 20, 2014

I personally divide my annual goals into smaller ones.
Every last day of the month I set specific targets for the next 30 days and write them down in my calendar (http://www.pdfcalendar.com/).
Every Sunday I find a few minutes to evaluate past 7 days and plan tasks for the next week. I pick only the ones that are critical to my business.
Every evening I pick the most important task for tomorrow and book some time in my calendar. I try to accomplish it as the first thing in my business day.

Works really fine, because you can focus on the most crucial activities.

Last edited by a moderator:

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
The One Thing.

That book has best guidelines for goals I've ever seen.
I keep hearing about that book! its the fourth time today actually.
Im using a goal format by darren hardy. Have you read the compound effect? it a great book. And if you have,how do the two books compare?

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I make a list of major Goals
Then break one down to objectives
Then down to Side missions(makes things fun)

With Each step down the steps get simpler and easier to complete
So, your mini side missions add up to complete your objective/s and objectives your Major goal.

I do that for the boring and tedious parts of whatever I am doing but
for the fun parts I like the feeling of a challenge.

The One thing by Gary keller

Is on my reading list but I have only been reading on a supplemental basis.
Seems like a good book for helping with your goals.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
I keep hearing about that book! its the fourth time today actually.
Im using a goal format by darren hardy. Have you read the compound effect? it a great book. And if you have,how do the two books compare?
I read both and Compound Effect is more of a motivational book, although the main premise is correct (1% daily improvement is how you get where you need to go.)

The One Thing is a lot more practical and teaches multiple very useful concepts ("One Thing"/80-20 principle; setting goals; understanding that balance doesn't exist when you're chasing your dreams; dealing with chaos and uncertainty etc.) It's a top notch book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.