The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Best Monetize A Course?

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
So after a few years of teaching how-to rap instructional videos along with helping people in real life, I think I could put together a pretty kick a$$ course.

I'm just kicking ideas around right now, but I was thinking about writing a book that correlates with a 30-day course which includes videos and specific actions/worksheets. From no knowledge -> Beginner level.

There's already a book out on how to rap which does fairly well, and I think I could write on the subject with a different approach that would allow me or provide value to those who have already read it and others.

Couple that with a simple, step by step course that will allow you to master the basics and I think there's some money to be made there.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to model this so I can start organizing the content.

Thoughts? Feedback?

And if y'all need to polish them bars up......holla atcha boy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JamesSJ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 25, 2012
Hello - I run a website selling music production courses and another site offering music production tutorials.

Drop me a message if you like and we can talk some more...

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
It's a unique angle. I used to work at Reverbnation and a lot of "rap artists" there could definitely use such a course haha.

But of course you won't know if they will actually pay for it or not until you put it up somewhere, drive various traffic and test.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
Maybe you can make the course and become an instructor on Udemy to start as one of your monetization strategy https://www.udemy.com/

That's a good resource I've thought about. Thanks for bringing it up.

Does your market have any money in their pocket to spend on this?

I think so. I also would try not to price especially high as honestly, if the project is a complete flop I'll just make it free to help people.

Hello - I run a website selling music production courses and another site offering music production tutorials.

Drop me a message if you like and we can talk some more...

I'll pm you. Very curious what you've done so far and how you organized things.

It's a unique angle. I used to work at Reverbnation and a lot of "rap artists" there could definitely use such a course haha.

But of course you won't know if they will actually pay for it or not until you put it up somewhere, drive various traffic and test.

I didn't know you used to work at Reverbnation, you probably have some extra information that could help me out as I develop my projects. Thanks for following what I'm working on, please let me know when you have information you think is pertinent, I'm sure you know a lot.

Haha and yeah a lot of the popular radio artists could use it too. Thank god there's amazing producers in the world to make shitty music at least have good beats and sound quality. I would definitely push this product as more of a learn to rap as a creative outlet than a get big in the industry though. I'm too much of a purist.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Does your market have any money in their pocket to spend on this?
I used to record rappers in Japan and North Carolina when I was in the Marines, and one thing I can tell you is a lot of them are cheap as hell. A majority of them would scoff at the idea to lease an instrumental that was 99 cents.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
I used to record rappers in Japan and North Carolina when I was in the Marines, and one thing I can tell you is a lot of them are cheap as hell. A majority of them would scoff at the idea to lease an instrumental that was 99 cents.

Yeah. I've definitely run into that side of it as well. Those are the 'hey I'll make one record and be famous' guys that keep calling themselves rappers while not accomplishing anything in 20 years. Those are the same guys that show on my YouTube channel saying you can't learn to rap its a skill you're born with and they've always been amazing.

My pitch will be more towards hobbyists and those who are hesitant to start. Which I think there's a pretty strong group of people who are interested but feel stupid or don't have enough support to try it. Very much beginners.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Yeah. I've definitely run into that side of it as well. Those are the 'hey I'll make one record and be famous' guys that keep calling themselves rappers while not accomplishing anything in 20 years. Those are the same guys that show on my YouTube channel saying you can't learn to rap its a skill you're born with and they've always been amazing.

My pitch will be more towards hobbyists and those who are hesitant to start. Which I think there's a pretty strong group of people who are interested but feel stupid or don't have enough support to try it. Very much beginners.
Are you creating videos on how to write at all, or actually rapping? You could branch off and create courses on how to write songs for beginners, then have different courses for different genres as well.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
Are you creating videos on how to write at all, or actually rapping? You could branch off and create courses on how to write songs for beginners, then have different courses for different genres as well.

I've got video content on both at the moment. That's an interesting idea and much bigger markets. I'll take that into consideration.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.