The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just won 10 000 for my business project... dont know how to invest that money

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
Hi fastlaners

So we just won a 10 000 $ prize given by our university for my business project, which i started a few months ago. Its the first time I win something and the first money I see after months and months of hard work and failed projects. I know its not a lot, but i want to invest it smartly.

So basically my business is selling Led lights and products added with an installation and decoration service. We already have a website. We dont need stocks as we buy the products to the supplier after the client has made an order, so all we need is a small working capital (small because the client pays a 35% deposit when placing the order, that we use to pay the supplier).

Here are some of the things I've considered investing in:
-Internet marketing
-Paying a company to find us the best and most reliable Led supplier in China
-Nice suits

Another thing I could do with this money is spending it on a trip to China so we can find some new products out there and go to fairs and trade shows, as well as visiting the country and having some well deserved vacations.

So what do you guys think? I am young, have no work or business experience and have no idea where people usually invest their money.

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
What level of sales so far?

What do your P&L, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cashflows tell you?

How robust is your 'system'? Can it scale?

By 'system', am talking about software / CRM / ERP / procedures / training / infrastructure / etc. ..... my guess is that is where the $10k goes......

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
We are working with our first client, an 8000$ contract, and we are almost done.

How we proceed is we look out for clients by contacting them directly, we propose them designs and decoration ideas (made by our interior designer expert), then we order the products, we install them and the clients pay. We don't really need software, our website is almost like a business card, it's only there to present our company. CRM, ERP, P&L, Balance sheet, statement of cashflows... these terms are unknown to me lol... as I said, this is my first business experience and what I learn at school I don't really use it in my business.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
If you have the product/logistics in place I would use it to test different methods of paid advertising to increase sales.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
If you don't know exactly what to spend the money on, then sit on it. Growing a business is expensive, if you keep getting new clients there will be a point where someone either wants you to extend terms to them and you will need the cash to finance the project, or an opportunity will arise. I have often said I will never do a project without at least a 50% deposit, then a LARGE pharmaceutical company showed up with a 6 figure P.O. but wanted net 90 day terms. Without some cash in the bank I wouldn't have been able to do it.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
10,000 is not an amount you should worry about too much what to do with. Put it in the bank.

In the stage you are in now it's best to focus on developing your skills and your network to grow your company.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
No trips and no nice suits ( hope it was a joke :)
Sit on 80 % of it.....try strategies with the other 20 % and see results and then invest another 20 %...etc

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
If you're working on a $8k contract you should know by now that $10k comes and goes very quickly. Sit on it until there's a glaringly good reason to spend it.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
@Samy Bazizi do you mind sharing what niche you market you led installation business in . And are you focusing on one area or across a whole country?

Samy Bazizi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 6, 2014
Austria
@Samy Bazizi do you mind sharing what niche you market you led installation business in . And are you focusing on one area or across a whole country?
I am focusing on my city (Montreal) so far but I would definitely want to expand across the country! We don't have a certain niche, we are focusing on every commercial (mainly restaurants, clubs, bars, etc...) that needs a modern light decoration. There is so many led products that we can have different types of clients.

Also, isn't it at the start of a new business that we need the most investment? If we don't need money right now, why would we need money later on? I am just wondering what kind of cost could come when growing.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I am just wondering what kind of cost could come when growing.
That's exactly why you should sit on the cash, you don't know what shit will unfold in the coming months. In Q3 you'll want to sit down with an accountant and decide how to spend your extra cash.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.