The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Website Costs and Software

Matt Couch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 2, 2015
I have a website that I need developed and a little unsure of how much it's all going to cost. I've started several simple landing page websites but this needs to be much more advanced. The site I am competing with was recently valued at over 100 million and I believe I have a competitive advantage with my pricing model and value to consumer. I want it to look and function similar to priceline.com (no its not a travel website), but I am going to market my brand as the Priceline of this industry. Here's what I'm going to need.

1. A sign in tool for vendors to go to their storefront and add/edit content. I would also like to have access to this page.

2. A credit card/payment system where vendors could fund their accounts. Monthly automatic payments.

3. An internal search function where customers can search for vendors in their area based on vendor, location, and several other search parameters.

4. A data capturing system where every form data or email address is captured.

5. Storefront layout design. I want this to be cookie cutter so it's easy for me to go in and add new vendors.

I have been doing internet marketing for several years but I'm not a coder/developer. I need someone to design this site and make it easy for me to go in and add new vendors but I'm just unsure of the cost for something like this. All my previous websites were simple $100 landing pages.

If anyone can help give me a better idea of the cost for a site like this and services/software recommended that would be great. Also, if anyone out there is a skilled developer and interested in a equity position let me know. Right now it's just me, my domain (acquired today) and a great idea. I'm great at marketing/sales but need a skilled developer CTO type person so if that's you or you know someone let me know!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
You paid $100 for a landing page? :eek: wished I knew you in college, when I was selling complete, but simple websites to businesses for €25-€75.

I'll answer a few things that I know:
#2: If it is digital, it is free, as you only pay a bit per transaction, depending if you're from the US(~2.9%+30c) or EU(~3.4%+0.35€), there are different prices.
If it is physical, like credit card readers or credit card registers, there are even free options for that available on the net. Free as in Free equipment as long as you use their service.

#3 that is quite easy to make, so don't spend too much on it.

#5 again available from free to thousands of dollars. You can get a wordpress site with woocommerce running with paypal or braintree for free, you can set it up yourself, or pay someone to do it for you.

as for webhosting:

I pay $115 per year for the hosting, and $15 for the domain, whoisguard and SSL encryption. site is fast as it still loads in under 0.6 seconds with 300 people on the site.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Do you want to create a serious web based business? Then you want to invest on this.
Don't half a$$ your business with subpar solutions hacked together.
Now granted, something like this made by top people is going to cost a fortune.
Your best bet is a partnership or another solution with somebody who has reason to care.
You paid $100 for a landing page? :eek: wished I knew you in college, when I was selling complete, but simple websites to businesses for €25-€75.
You never know what people will pay for. I'm making cash hand over fist doing something that started as a joke, right now.
Since he's framing it as "priceline of his industry", I would say that this is the core of the business. And easy is something data aggregators are not.
I worked on a price comparison search engine once, when we wrote those things from scratch in pure php. It was a nightmare hidden behind a bush with an axe.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Since he's framing it as "priceline of his industry", I would say that this is the core of the business. And easy is something data aggregators are not.
I worked on a price comparison search engine once, when we wrote those things from scratch in pure php. It was a nightmare hidden behind a bush with an axe.

Well, he did not include how big the database should be.
That being said: I have seen wordpress plugins do what he said: Fill in this or that information and all the information that has that item in it is shown.

Matt Couch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 2, 2015
Thanks for the responses. The internal search function will not be as complicated as price line. I will just need to to search and list results according to venue, location, and a few other parameters. I am planning to charge each venue round $20/month (way less than the competition) and encourage them to offer discounts. Those businesses that are offering discounts will be given priority placements and be highlighted in green. The idea is that a low monthly subscription will allow vendors to budget in deals/discounts to offer consumers.

I agree my best bet is to bring on someone and give them a vested stake in the business. I can handle the sales/marketing I just need a quality site developed. If there's anyone on here that is qualified and interested please let me know. There's only a couple major players in this billion dollar industry and I believe this pricing model will succeed and appeal to both advertisers and consumers. Also, I just made a deal to lease this domain for a year and have the option to purchase after the first year so I am looking to build this up quickly. If anyone has any recommendations or interested themselves please let me know.

Matt Couch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 2, 2015

I'll answer a few things that I know:
#2: If it is digital, it is free, as you only pay a bit per transaction, depending if you're from the US(~2.9%+30c) or EU(~3.4%+0.35€), there are different prices.
If it is physical, like credit card readers or credit card registers, there are even free options for that available on the net. Free as in Free equipment as long as you use their service.

#5 again available from free to thousands of dollars. You can get a wordpress site with woocommerce running with paypal or braintree for free, you can set it up yourself, or pay someone to do it for you.

as for webhosting:

I pay $115 per year for the hosting, and $15 for the domain, whoisguard and SSL encryption. site is fast as it still loads in under 0.6 seconds with 300 people on the site.
Thanks for the tips. Who do you use for hosting and ssl encryption?

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks for the tips. Who do you use for hosting and ssl encryption?
I use inmotion for hosting, so far their customer service has been a 9/10.
And Namecheap for the SSL and domain name. since they are... well... cheap

Ettan Bazil

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 20, 2015
London, UK
I wouldn't recommend ploughing thousands into a custom coded site right at the beginning. Get something workable and go from there. You can create all of the features you are looking for with Wordpress plugins and buy an off the shelf woocommerce template for around $50. A few code hacks and you've got your website. You could use it as an opportunity to learn a bit of php and start coding yourself which will be essential in the long-run if you're starting an ecommerce business. I use TSOhost for hosting. Great service

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.