The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feedback on Homework Site

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
Hello fellow Fastlaners,

So recently I launched a site called HW assist (https://hwassist.com/), which is an on-demand tutoring platform, which allows students to get their homework questions answered quickly and affordably. I have been reaching out to bloggers, schools, and other academic areas to market the site, as well as the traditional social media/seo.

In the past with sites I have done, this forum has provided me some great feedback on my websites/businesses, and would really like to get some advice and suggestions from you guys. If you could take a look at the site, and let me know if you see areas that could be improved, as well as some ideas to market it, that would be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Hey! I liked the concept. I went to your website and the first thing I clicked on was the video, as I wanted to know more about your services.

The video wasn't enticing at all though. The part where the hand was writing took too long, making me wait for it to spell the whole sentence. The pictures on the video didn't send me a clear message as to what your site does neither. Other than the video I really liked the website.

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
I like the layout... it's clean and simple. Just a heads up, the ask a question button on the home page and the recent questions list get cut off on my iPad in vertical orientation.

I'd avoid contacting schools. Unless you give them a financial incentive, they are going to push their own tutoring options.

I think you'll have the most luck marketing this on social media and blogs. IMO, students will be more interested in something they learn about through social media, blogs, or their peers than school officials.

Have you considered offering an affiliate program? I could see that getting you a lot of interest from students. Maybe even the schools too.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I don't like the video. It doesn't identify the problem and the solution clearly enough.

Also, it seems like it's written by a foreigner and has a grammatical mistake. I wouldn't trust you guys to help me with homework if you can't write yourselves:
hpg1jQy.png

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
I don't like the video. It doesn't identify the problem and the solution clearly enough.

Also, it seems like it's written by a foreigner and has a grammatical mistake. I wouldn't trust you guys to help me with homework if you can't write yourselves:
hpg1jQy.png

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the video, and am looking to change that. Do you think the homepage is easy to navigate, and is clear in what we provide?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the video, and am looking to change that. Do you think the homepage is easy to navigate, and is clear in what we provide?

I don't know. I saw a giant play button, so I clicked play. My guess is that a plurality of people would do the same.

Hence, where you'll be making the sale is not the copy on the homepage, but the sales copy in the video. If the video's bad, there's no way I'd give you a second chance by exiting out and reading the homepage. But if the video's good, I'd sign up without having to read anything else.

People are lazy. Make things easier for them. Stop making people read. Include all the important stuff in a 1 minute video.

zion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 29, 2013
My first impressions:

If you want users to watch the video first, i would put it to the left,
it will be the first element they visually spot on your site and people
enjoy watching videos, because it has the minimum effort.

I am missing a gap between the Signup and Login Button.

"Tutors Get Paid", i needed like 2 minutes to see that, something
wrong with that.
Don't like the boring background color on that, it's not very
"stimulating"

The Sign Up form is hidden:
First you click on "Ask a question", then there is this unremarkable text
"Don't have an account yet? Sign up" and you click again...
2 clicks, 2 barriers

Change the color of the Play Button, i can't see it

It's good, but it can be perfect

Last edited:

People>Cash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 4, 2014
If I were a student I would want instant answers to my questions. Any delay and I'll ask a friend or text a classmate. Delayed responses won't be useful imho

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
I think you need to further narrow down your target audience.

As a student, if I saw your site, first thing that I would be thinking of is, "can this site help ME?" For example, if I saw that you had tutors that covered the subject I was taking AND were also familiar with how that subject is taught in my country, that would help.

If I don't see evidence of that, I will assume that it can't.

After your site proves that to me, if I'm going to pay for anything, another critical question I would ask is "can I get this information for free from other sources?"

Only one time have I ever signed up for a service somewhat like this and that was with Chegg textbook solutions. I had a bunch of online assignments I needed to do and they were the only place on the web that had solutions.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
May I help?

What is HwAssist?

HwAssist is an innovative homework help service which aims to provide you in-depth answers to some of your most challenging school related questions which we provide lightning fast, super cheap, and extremely thorough. Most school tutoring centers are ran by other students who often times struggle with the same questions as you. Do you really want to gamble with your future? Instead, sit back and relax, grab a bowl of Hamburger Helper, and get superior help from your new favorite Homework Helper.

Maybe use this as an example for the rest. It's all just very choppy and forced. As of now, I don't trust you.

Goodluck

airforsu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 6, 2015
New Jersey
How are you better than Wolphram Alpha, Kahn Academy, YouTube, or even Yahoo Answers?

And considering that all the above services are free, you're in a tough market. Honestly, I'd rather answer a question wrong, and let my teacher review the question on the board than pay $1.50. The only thing worth paying for is term papers imo.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Another thing,

I notice that the person who asks a question has the ability to purchase the answer. OK fine but what if the answer is garbage or not detailed enough. Do I get my money back?

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
How are you better than Wolphram Alpha, Kahn Academy, YouTube, or even Yahoo Answers?

Our tutors provide on-demand help with individuals, and continue working with the student until the assignment is through. Sure some students will look for free services, as Ive used them before myself. Who we are targeting, is the student who A. needs help now B. wants help from an "expert" and C. wants individual help tailored to their assignment.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
Another thing,

I notice that the person who asks a question has the ability to purchase the answer. OK fine but what if the answer is garbage or not detailed enough. Do I get my money back?

Yeah. If the answer is garbage or not detailed enough, you would absolutely get your money back. For us the rating system of the tutors is one of the biggest assets, as it encourages tutors to give good, detailed answers, because they want to maintain a high rating.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Our tutors provide on-demand help with individuals, and continue working with the student until the assignment is through. Sure some students will look for free services, as Ive used them before myself. Who we are targeting, is the student who A. needs help now B. wants help from an "expert" and C. wants individual help tailored to their assignment.

Do you tell your customers this anywhere on your website?

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I think you're in a very crowded market and need to make sure you differentiate as "immediate answers to your toughest questions" rather than just another "ask me" or tutor site. Maybe offer a free trial - 5 questions immediately answered free and also have a free mode. Ask questions but answers only guaranteed within 24 hrs

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
I think you're in a very crowded market and need to make sure you differentiate as "immediate answers to your toughest questions" rather than just another "ask me" or tutor site. Maybe offer a free trial - 5 questions immediately answered free and also have a free mode. Ask questions but answers only guaranteed within 24 hrs

Great idea, looking in to implementing some type of trial.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Students don't like paying for study aids. They like paying for past final exams used by that professor recently. They like paying for term papers done for them. They like paying for ways to cheat on the exam.

Students (at least the ones I know) aren't stupid: they know that everything they need to get an A on the exam is provided for them by the teacher. They just don't want to study to get the A.

There are plenty of people on Craigslist who will do your homework for you for a reasonable price. They're TAs with masters and Ph.D's who can't get jobs in their field. If you can help out these people by giving them the opportunity to do homework for people outside their immediate area, AND if you can help out the students by offering a better price, quicker completion, or a better quality of product, this can very well be viable.

It's horribly unethical, though. That's your call.

I don't trust what you have here though.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
Students don't like paying for study aids. They like paying for past final exams used by that professor recently. They like paying for term papers done for them. They like paying for ways to cheat on the exam.

Students (at least the ones I know) aren't stupid: they know that everything they need to get an A on the exam is provided for them by the teacher. They just don't want to study to get the A.

There are plenty of people on Craigslist who will do your homework for you for a reasonable price. They're TAs with masters and Ph.D's who can't get jobs in their field. If you can help out these people by giving them the opportunity to do homework for people outside their immediate area, AND if you can help out the students by offering a better price, quicker completion, or a better quality of product, this can very well be viable.

It's horribly unethical, though. That's your call.

I don't trust what you have here though.

Thank you for the feedback. What do you mean by you dont trust what we have though?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.