The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importing from overseas and reselling

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

LVMont

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jan 14, 2014
How is everyone doing tonight?

I've been lurking for quite a while. After reading and researching about importing products and reselling them. I decided to give it a go, if I don't succeed, that's fine by me. Least I can say I tried rather than sitting around and think about the what "ifs". I've researched my niche for a few months and it's a growing niche. I ordered a few samples last night from my supplier last night; they're on their way right now. I'm not going to start selling on Ebay or Amazon right now. I'm creating a website for this niche and direct traffic to it. My product is small so I can keep it in my closet, rather than trying to drop ship it. It gives me more control over my products and shipping. I know how much stock I have in-house, oppose to calling the drop shipper. If it sells well, I'll brand it and start scaling it.

Things I already done:
  • Researched niche
  • Called suppliers/Manufacturers
  • Ordered sample products
  • Bought Domain names
  • Set up Social media sites (Facebook,Instagram,Twitter)
Things that need to get done:
  • Set up website with logo, SSL, etc
  • Test sample product (Talk with supplier about any defects or concerns)
  • Form a LLC (That won't happen till way down the road)

That's all the updates for tonight, I'll bring you update you guys more when my samples comes in.

Not sure what to feel right now. I'm excited, yet I'm also scared for what to comes. I'm more excited than anything else. I can't sleep cause its very exciting. Going to grab it by the horns, and make it my bitch. :D

Feedback and criticism, welcome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Cembo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 26, 2014
Before creating a domain and drive paid traffic to it, I would validate the product on eBay first. Just get it in and out the door first to see if it sells. Way easier for validation imo!

Or is there a specific reason you dont want to sell on Amazon and eBay?

naturesrx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 16, 2015
Sell initially at the cost people would like to buy. Market study of the product is necessary. Improve u r ratings. AMd then look for profits.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I've been lurking for quite a while. After reading and researching about importing products and reselling them. I decided to give it a go, if I don't succeed, that's fine by me. Least I can say I tried rather than sitting around and think about the what "ifs". I've researched my niche for a few months and it's a growing niche. I ordered a few samples last night from my supplier last night; they're on their way right now.

Not sure what to feel right now. I'm excited, yet I'm also scared for what to comes. I'm more excited than anything else. I can't sleep cause its very exciting. Going to grab it by the horns, and make it my bitch. :D

When I imported my first product I felt the same way. Excited and scared. Took around two weeks for the shipment to arrive.

As soon as I received the package, my face lit up. I was happy. I quickly took pictures of the product and edited them through Photoshop. Then I listed my product on Craigslist, Ebay and Amazon.

2 weeks later, and 0 sales.

Was very disappointing. Down -$70.00 on my first order.

Before creating a domain and drive paid traffic to it, I would validate the product on eBay first. Just get it in and out the door first to see if it sells. Way easier for validation imo!

Or is there a specific reason you dont want to sell on Amazon and eBay?

I agree. You need to validate your product before hand. Try listing them on free sites like Amazon, Ebay & Craigslist to see if you get any offers so you won't burn anymore money.

Last edited by a moderator:

LVMont

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jan 14, 2014
Great Update!

I got my sample product, yesterday tested them and I found no problem with them. So that's a good thing.

I took your guys advice by validating it first. I posted my product on my local Facebook forums and lot of people are very interested in it. I sold some last night and the rest today.. :D I'm still getting messages about people trying to buy them. I ordered a small sample, didn't think they would sell this quick. I ordered another sample, this order is a little bigger. Not going to order a big sample then not have it sell.

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
When I imported my first product I felt the same way. Excited and scared. Took around two weeks for the shipment to arrive.

As soon as I received the package, my face lit up. I was happy. I quickly took pictures of the product and edited them through Photoshop. Then I listed my product on Craigslist, Ebay and Amazon.

2 weeks later, and 0 sales.

Was very disappointing. Down -$70.00 on my first order.

I agree. You need to validate your product before hand. Try listing them on free sites like Amazon, Ebay & Craigslist to see if you get any offers so you won't burn anymore money.
Thanks, I now have nightmares about the "2 weeks later, and 0 sales" scenario every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
Nice, I was thinking that you should make a landing page or something simple where people can be notified when you have products in stock. If you do that then you can pre- sale a bunch. I'm looking into importing and exporting as well. Looking forward to your updates.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.