The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question about Prototypes!

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
One of my (many) ideas is for a type of manual haircutting device (no, not scissors. ha) ...but I feel like I would have to get together with a freaking engineer to get it worked out even on paper.

Who do I contact for help on something like that? I looked all over the internet and can't get the simple process for prototypes anywhere. I don't even want to think about what a prototype might cost.

I even thought of a digital image first, but even then I would have to have the specs on paper. I have it in my mind but don't know if it can actually be done (successfully operable)

Just wondering if any of you have any ideas or suggestions as to what my first step should be.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
Odesk and elance have a ton of individuals and teams that do this type of work. What I've done is sketch what I want along with a few sentences to describe it and get somebody to do 3d renderings. While he was doing that I started talking to manufacturers about their production limitations/requirements. With that in mind, I got a friend who studies mechanical engineering to finish the design and get the files for manufacturing.

If your product is more complex which is what it sounds like, you might need a proof-of-concept prototype before you get a working prototype. Shouldn't be much more to it from what I've seen.

There are also manufacturers that offer everything from design services through prototyping and to production, but it'll probably cost more. If nothing else they're a great starting point for what you need to get into production.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
I have done quite a bit of prototyping over the last twenty years and I have met more than a couple of people with exactly this question. Before you spend one thin dime on any engineering help, build a proof of concept, play with it a while, and rebuild it. It doesn't matter of you don't have tools and skills. You can give them to yourself. Build it out of easier materials. I mean literally whip something up out of cardboard and paper mache. Seriously, if you have an idea for a part that would need to be CNC machined or molded, whip it up out of modeling clay or cut and glue balsa wood. Sheet metal components? Bend it out of poster board. Welds get represented by epoxy.

If you make some sketches and go to a fabricator or engineer, you will run into a couple of issues. Between the idea in your head and the representation of that idea on paper, and the idea that the other person gets from looking at that representation you WILL get "translation errors." It won't be understood quite the way you want it to be. You will also be paying money to straighten out that learning curve. A 'functioning' model takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

Be aware that when you bring someone into the invention process that person may feel a claim to parts of the invention that they helped you figure out. Even though you paid them for their service, it can turn into a problem if and when there is money being made. Be aware. Be clear that you are paying for service and whatever gets made is your exclusive property.

Take a trip to a craft store and get a few items and whip something up. Once it's in 3D, it will inspire changes. Once you have built it through a few generations and you feel comfortable with where it's going, you will have a clear idea of what you want to get CAD drafted, 3D printed or machined.

Ajita

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 17, 2013
Florida
In addition to what Hooked said, depending where you live you may find some local resources. For instance if you are doing something that primarily uses metal, you could go to a metalworking shop and ask them to custom fabricate something for you. Or there may be an actual facility dedicated toward creating prototypes.

Here's an example of a not-for-profit company in my area that exists solely to help people design proof of concept prototypes of all sorts: http://www.fltechtoybox.org/content/what-we-do

Note: despite being not-for-profit, you still have to pay for prototype services.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Thanks guys! This information really helps. Gives me a lot to think over. Also helps me to pull the reigns back on myself a little, because sometimes when I get an idea I just want to run with it before I know what I'm doing. ha

Some of these contraptions I have in my mind make me feel like Caractacus Potts from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. lol :pompus:

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The one thing I can lend to you is to pick the best and right idea, and then stay with it all the way through to completion. Everyone (absolutely EVERYONE) has a ton of "ideas." The question becomes what you do with your ideas on how to bring them from idea to volition. Lock in on a project you feel has the most potential, and then let most everything else fade to gray.

You might also benefit from reading Stephen Key's book called One Simple Idea.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
The one thing I can lend to you is to pick the best and right idea, and then stay with it all the way through to completion. Everyone (absolutely EVERYONE) has a ton of "ideas." The question becomes what you do with your ideas on how to bring them from idea to volition. Lock in on a project you feel has the most potential, and then let most everything else fade to gray.

You might also benefit from reading Stephen Key's book called One Simple Idea.

THAT is probably my biggest problem. You hit the nail on the head. I feel like I have ADD because my mind is constantly going 5 different directions at one time and then I don't get anything done because I'm worn out from thinking too much. ha. I know I need to focus. I remember MJ talking about that too. I just don't know which one to focus on.

I feel like I need input from business-minded people who could see the potential or pitfalls of each one. Things I may not be thinking about. Do I just write the fastlane pros and cons out on paper and decide that way? Or should I present them and take a poll here on the forum?

--The book you recommended, I just went to Amazon to get it but there are 2 by that author with the same name...are you referring to "One Simple Idea: Turn your dreams into a licensing goldmine"? or "One Simple Idea, for Startups and Entrepreneurs"

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
1. Do NOT present them here on the forum. We get 500k+ people a month here, but very few of them actually post. Most are lurkers. You dont want to throw your gold out there for other people to potentially poach. After you get the hang of this place, you will know what you can share and what you can't. So for now, keep everything in the CAN'T SHARE category.

2. Those 2 books are by the same author. The first is if you want to take an idea, prototype it, and sell the idea to another company. The second takes the same idea, but rather than selling the idea, walks you through how to manufacture your products. Either would be helpful for you, as all the book is going to do is get you THINKING about how to take your idea and turn it into reality. You could read either.

3. Spend some time here. Spending some time here reading how other entrepreneurs do things might help you.

4. At some point, join the INSIDERS forum here so that you specifically can read an INSIDERS thread by @Likwid24 about how he took an idea, hand made a prototype, and you can follow his entire journey. He's now on shelves at every Home Depot in America, and the whole thing is chronicled in his thread.

5. Then, get a group of 3-4 people that you trust from a business sense, and let them be your sounding board. Eventually, it might be a few people from here. It could also be people from your community. It can't be your mother, your sister, or your BFF as they are all going to think you are brilliant no matter what your idea is. You need someone detached enough to tell you if your idea sucks, and how to make it better. You are looking for people that are ahead of you on the journey.

You have a fun path in front of you. You have a ton to learn, but focus and tenacity are what it is going to take to get something from the idea phase into the execution phase.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FastlaneMJ/videos

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Well, I'm bummed :sour:

I just found out that one of the products that I was designing on the side (that I started this thread for) is already out there!

I was following along in one of Lori Greiner's questionnaires about developing a new product, and when I was almost at the end, she asked the obvious - "Have you really done an in-depth internet search to make sure the product is not already out there?"

I honestly thought it was not out there because I had never seen it. EVER. I guess when I had searched for it before I didn't put in the right keywords or something. I had never seen it in a store either. I don't how this item flew under the radar. Maybe it wasn't marketed well.

But I decided to do one last search and lo and behold...there it was. I couldn't believe it. It was identical to what I had come up with in my head, even a unique added part that I thought no one would ever think of. The developer even had that unique part! And what's worse, this lady developed this beauty gadget 8 years ago. I then checked on Amazon and the item had sold very well. SH$#@#!

So just a note to the newbies, make sure you thoroughly check and search the internet before spending any money on design or wasting time. I had 21 out of 23 factors that Lori Greiner was looking for in a new product.

What a depressing lesson.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
Well that sucks. It's OK to let that bum you out for a little while; but only a little while. You came up with a good idea and the proof it was a good idea is that it is successful already.

Take this as an exercise that strengthened your creative muscle to come up with it and your research muscle to figure out that you weren't first. Then use those same muscles to come up with your next move.

Like a million coaches have said to a million kids who took a hit: "Walk it off."

SimonP99

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 19, 2015
One of my (many) ideas is for a type of manual haircutting device (no, not scissors. ha) ...but I feel like I would have to get together with a freaking engineer to get it worked out even on paper.

Who do I contact for help on something like that? I looked all over the internet and can't get the simple process for prototypes anywhere. I don't even want to think about what a prototype might cost.

I even thought of a digital image first, but even then I would have to have the specs on paper. I have it in my mind but don't know if it can actually be done (successfully operable)

Just wondering if any of you have any ideas or suggestions as to what my first step should be.

I don't want to burst your bubble but an automated hair cutting device has already been created

Can your product really compete with that?:)

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
But can you do it better??

I'm glad that in the early 20th century the guys from Chevrolet didn't say, "B-b-but Ford does it already!"

Valid question, Dwight, but it really does look identical. I haven't spent the time to do research to see if they have a patent on it, and even if they don't, there is that whole gray area of "prior usage". I'm not sure how close you can come to someone else's product in design without getting sued. ha

I may actually buy their product sometime soon and hold it in my hand and see how well it works. I can clearly see from the photos and description (and even videos) that the apparatus has the same operational design and mechanics as the one I was going to make. But, you never know.

Thankfully this was only one of the four ideas I had when I came to the forum, and I was trying to eliminate the ones I didn't need to spend my time on, so in that sense I did what I set out to do. ha.

I am still working on my main idea/product which is in my other 'luxury item' thread :)

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
You sound like a female version of me haha, especially with the ADD/Multiple ideas at once problem.

You know what idea I had and hadn't seen anywhere before? An exercise bike and/or treadmill with somewhere to put your PC/Laptop/Tablet so you can work and exercise at the same time. Then, what do I see 1 or 2 months later after searching Amazon? Yeah, you know the rest of the story.

I can't remember who said it or where I read it, but you're very unlikely to be the only person to have an idea without someone else also having that same idea either before you, but most likely at the same time as you do, even if you've never met the person before in your life.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
I love the "Flowbee" I haven't been to a barber since.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Just to clarify, the product in mind was not an automated device, it was a small manual device (see first post) meant to aid / guide simple trims and such at home in-between visits to the salon or barber.

So no, it wasn't some big electronic contraption. ha

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I love the "Flowbee" I haven't been to a barber since.

Had to go and Google it didn't I? Haha! Crazy looking contraption.

Two hair cutting and "man-scaping" Ideas I had were:
  • Something so you could trim the back of your neck by yourself and get it nice and straight.
  • Something for trimming the neck line of your beard/stubble perfectly straight. I suck at doing it myself.
If anyone ever invents either of those 2 products, you've got a customer here. There is already one for getting a perfect goatee, but not the other 2.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Just to clarify, the product in mind was not an automated device, it was a small manual device (see first post) meant to aid / guide simple trims and such at home in-between visits to the salon or barber.

So no, it wasn't some big electronic contraption. ha
Had to go and Google it didn't I? Haha! Crazy looking contraption.

Two hair cutting and "man-scaping" Ideas I had were:
  • Something so you could trim the back of your neck by yourself and get it nice and straight.
  • Something for trimming the neck line of your beard/stubble perfectly straight. I suck at doing it myself.
If anyone ever invents either of those 2 products, you've got a customer here. There is already one for getting a perfect goatee, but not the other 2.
No doubt, great thought.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
A friend described a product idea to me he said he's had for about ten years, but the technology was just now catching up.... low and behold ONE MONTH later he learns of a startup making this product almost EXACTLY.

He already is part owner of a multi-million dollar business so never had time, need or desire to persue it. But it goes to show you when you have an idea someone else probably does too. Need to 1. Research the market to see if it exists, 2. If not act, if yes ask "can I do it better?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.