The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Get most out of books/reading

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Hello,

I was wondering since I read a lot lately how I get the most out of each book I read. (Or Fastlane Forum article :D )
TMF got some pretty useful chapter summary at the end of each chapter but most books don't.

How do you keep track of all your (business) lessons learnt?
I was thinking about some notepad where I can write down after each chapter what I learnt.

Warren Buffet reads 500 pages a day. Do you think this amount of reading is useful for the average person?

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

simplykickass

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 11, 2015
Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia
Take notes, and use the books as journals - no harm in underlining, making notes, writing thoughts etc. that you can refer back to later.

Reading is always useful from my opinion. Even if you only take 1 thing away from reading a book.. You still gain more knowledge in that area if you apply that one thing.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Im sure many will disagree, but here is something to think about:

1. Warren Buffet doesn't have to do jack shit, so him reading 500 pages a day ( if true ) shouldn't be any goal of yours just b/c its his.

2. While I am reading a book, I make notes in Evernote about the book and what I find useful. I also make a mindmap of the ideas and sometimes even check out sites like https://www.blinkist.com/ or http://sivers.org/book to get someone else's perspective or notes on the book. I even sometimes ( depending on book, i dont do this with all ) buy the audio version and listen to it on audible to make sure I didn't forget something so I can add on top of what I already read.

Granted, I don't get through 52 books a year like this.. but I'm not likely to lose/forget the important topics and small details of what I read either.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Anything you write down on paper will generally not be forgotten. Those notes can then be further condensed into bullet points on a spread sheet for continuous reference.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Hello,

I was wondering since I read a lot lately how I get the most out of each book I read. (Or Fastlane Forum article :D )
TMF got some pretty useful chapter summary at the end of each chapter but most books don't.

How do you keep track of all your (business) lessons learnt?
I was thinking about some notepad where I can write down after each chapter what I learnt.

Warren Buffet reads 500 pages a day. Do you think this amount of reading is useful for the average person?

Thanks in advance.

Most books are 200 pages of words and 5-10 pages of meat. So instead of putting your time towards viewing more words, spend it on reading and re-reading the 5-10 pages of meat(by taking good notes) in books you've already read so that you ingrain them into your life, rather than forgetting all about them to read more words.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
Evernote, evernote, evernote! 'nuff said on that.

Buffett reads that much because its his job to pore over annual reports. He's not reading books about how to analyze businesses, he's DOING it. So that's not really a good example.

That said, I personally think reading at least 20-30 minutes every day would do everybody a hell of a lot of good. All the new-age speed reading stuff is complete BS. The best way to gain the most from a book is to immerse yourself in its ideas, not try to skim it.

I'll spare you the whole learning paradigm lol but when you're doing ANYTHING, especially reading, try to think about where on this pyramid you spend most of your time. Reading without being critical and analytical just means you spend more time on the bottom.

Blooms%20Taxonomy.jpg

Last edited:

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
Hello,

He also uses the bathroom at exactly 3 and 6pm. We should follow his lead on that?

Let's focus on taking action, not following Warren Buffet or reading a ton. I agree books can be useful, but only read the applicable information to your stage of business. Don't let reading take over the time you need to spend working on your business.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Thank you for all your replies. I took notes and saved it on my computer. Here is a summary of the threads ideas on reading a book:
I hope I got everything, if something is missing or you have anything to add, go ahead:

Get more out of Reading

-Underline important parts, make notes, write thoughts
-Maybe make a mind map of the ideas
-Check out sites like https://www.blinkist.com/or http://sivers.org/book (Someone else’s perspective)
-Buy the audio version and listen to it.
-Notes can be condensed into bullet points on a spread sheet for continuous reference.
-Reread the 5-10 pages of meat in a book by taking good notes.
-Read 20-30 minutes every day.
-Use a commonplace book:http://ryanholiday.net/how-and-why-to-keep-a-commonplace-book/

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.