The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Saving time by being double productive

Anything related to matters of the mind

Basilius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 26, 2015
Czech Republic
MJ has mentioned it in the book and I've been utilizing this concept of doing two things at once for a long time as it feels incredible. What are your favorite combinations?

For me it's:
vacuuming/cleaning + listening to a podcast/audiobook
washing the dishes + listening to a podcast/audiobook or watching a TED talk
any kind of waiting => reading articles from Pocket

And what other time tweaks do you have?

One simple tweak that has proved to be very effective over time is watching videos in VLC player at 1,5 speed. 60 minute talk can be compressed to 40 minutes. I'd love to increase the speed, but since English is not my first language, my comprehension would suffer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I tried to watch youtube videos with 1.5 speed but it ruins the experience for me, I'd rather use some of your other "time hacks". I have actually lately been trying to find ways to increase productivity while saving time, are there any effective ways to do more in less time?

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
I do a lot of double jobbing to maximise my output and to avoid "downtime" but be carful that it does not interfere with family time. Even washing the dishes would be classed as family time in our house as it creates opportunity for dialogue and conversation.! ....." Time is really the only commodity you really control so it's critical to use it wisely "

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Just came back from walking the dog in the forest. It's about a 45 min to 1 hour session so I always download a suitable length podcast beforehand. I used to write notes in my iPhone as they came up but it is awkward so I bought a Dictaphone. Well worth the investment. Now I just play my voice memo's back when I get home and type them up for future reference.

Another tip when listening to pod casts on an iPhone while on the go: if there is a section that was particularly interesting I will take a quick screen capture (pressing the two buttons simultaneously) which shows the time-line in the program that I want to review again later. Here is one as an example:

NLAYYj0.png

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Instead of watching TV, i'll call a friend/biz buddy from my network to catch up. Typically you'll learn more from that then anything. Also strengthens relationships, I don't think networking is talked about enough on here.

Julio Andres

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Dec 9, 2014
I make intensive use of the "watch later" list on youtube. I have a lot of saved videos, so they are ready to play when I have death time (washing the dishes, cleaning my place..)

I Also have the kindle app on my phone, to keep reading on waiting times.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I make intensive use of the "watch later" list on youtube. I have a lot of saved videos, so they are ready to play when I have death time (washing the dishes, cleaning my place..)

I Also have the kindle app on my phone, to keep reading on waiting times.

Same here with the Kindle. Also I can watch a Youtube Video on my PC and pick up at the same point on the iPad later on. Youtube lets you make folders to store favourites so I have folders for marketing, AM, Motivation etc..

Audible is a good resource too.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
I got a radical tip : Instead of
vacuuming/cleaning + listening to a podcast/audiobook
washing the dishes + listening to a podcast/audiobook or watching a TED talk
any kind of waiting => reading articles from Pocket
POSTPHONE the activity a week /(in whatever exact time cycle you do it in), AND DO IT LATER.

For example : Let´s say I wash my clothes every 2 weeks. Instead, let´s wash them every month. Heck, they won´t dissapear, if you leave them sitting for .
This way, we will have 50% of time saved. (Assuming we still have clean clothes available-as most people do).
Or let´s go even further in this hypothetical example - let´s BUY aditional clothes to save time. So when we put them in laundry basker, WE HAVE MORE CLEAN CLOTHES still available - therefore allowing us to POSTPHONE the time consuming activity. -Leaving more time for the important ones.

Last edited:

Basilius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 26, 2015
Czech Republic
I tried to watch youtube videos with 1.5 speed but it ruins the experience for me, I'd rather use some of your other "time hacks". I have actually lately been trying to find ways to increase productivity while saving time, are there any effective ways to do more in less time?

Yeah, it doesn't work for every video :) It's worth experimenting though.

I'll send you a message and we can have a look at your current situation.

I do a lot of double jobbing to maximise my output and to avoid "downtime" but be carful that it does not interfere with family time. Even washing the dishes would be classed as family time in our house as it creates opportunity for dialogue and conversation.! ....." Time is really the only commodity you really control so it's critical to use it wisely "

Sure, it would be weird if you were walking around your family with headphones on :) I like your "double jobbing" term!

Just came back from walking the dog in the forest. It's about a 45 min to 1 hour session so I always download a suitable length podcast beforehand. I used to write notes in my iPhone as they came up but it is awkward so I bought a Dictaphone. Well worth the investment. Now I just play my voice memo's back when I get home and type them up for future reference.

Another tip when listening to pod casts on an iPhone while on the go: if there is a section that was particularly interesting I will take a quick screen capture (pressing the two buttons simultaneously) which shows the time-line in the program that I want to review again later. Here is one as an example:

NLAYYj0.png

I've been thinking about a dictaphone for a while. I've tried a few apps, but none of them were so easy to use as a regular dictaphone - push a button and record your thought... What type did you buy? I'll have a look.

The screenshot method is cool, I haven't thought about it at all! Will definitely implement it :)

Thanks for sharing, Dexter :)

Instead of watching TV, i'll call a friend/biz buddy from my network to catch up. Typically you'll learn more from that then anything. Also strengthens relationships, I don't think networking is talked about enough on here.

Is this inspired by Tim's 4HWW? Since I read it in the book, I implemented it and have been happy about that decision since.

Youtube lets you make folders to store favourites so I have folders for marketing, AM, Motivation etc..

I didn't know it was possible to sort the videos... thanks again for sharing

I got a radical tip : Instead of

POSTPHONE the activity a week /(in whatever exact time cycle you do it in), AND DO IT LATER.

For example : Let´s say I wash my clothes every 2 weeks. Instead, let´s wash them every month. Heck, they won´t dissapear, if you leave them sitting for .
This way, we will have 50% of time saved. (Assuming we still have clean clothes available-as most people do).
Or let´s go even further in this hypothetical example - let´s BUY aditional clothes to save time. So when we put them in laundry basker, WE HAVE MORE CLEAN CLOTHES still available - therefore allowing us to POSTPHONE the time consuming activity. -Leaving more time for the important ones.

I can see how batching could work well. Since I use the pomodoro technique for working it's essential for me to have 5 minute physical tasks (such as dishes, vacuuming etc.) between my work sessions. Also it's a great feeling to have a cleaner environment.

Even though I didn't think I was that kind of person, I am sensitive to the environment. And if my desk or room is messy, I don't focus that well. Cleaning it up puts me into a work mode and have it cleaned makes me more focused. But that's me :)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Is this inspired by Tim's 4HWW? Since I read it in the book, I implemented it and have been happy about that decision since.

No by life experience. Is that mentioned in 4HWW? I haven't read that in like 8-9 years.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Uh, I am pretty sure this is just procrastination

I do agree with the OP in using "idle brain time" while doing mindless activities, but one thing I have noticed is that I am way more effective when I don't try to multitask.

Science has proven that multitasking is BS.

Focus on knocking one thing out, and get it done.

Do that a bunch of times in a row - that is real "multitasking"

And read in the bathroom ;)

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
Uh, I am pretty sure this is just procrastination
No, because you are rather IGNORING the DISTRACTION, instead of letting more meaningful and important work let get hindered by less important tasks. and you are taking my sentence out of context (what I wrote)

Remember, less is more. So how is eliminating the things you do not need to do procrastination?? It is in fact essential to success TO DO JUST WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, INSTEAD OF cluttering our minds with something unnecessary . (Remember Ford speech?)

Last edited:

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
No, because you are rather IGNORING thr DISTRACTION, instead of letting more meaningful and important work let get hindered by less important tasks.

Remember, less is more. So how is eliminating the things you do not need to do procrastination? Not the case, sorry.
You aren't eliminating anything, you are just letting it pile up more before taking care of it.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
You aren't eliminating anything, you are just letting it pile up more before taking care of it.
Not necessarily. Suppose that you hoover the floor each 2/3 days. Why not just hoover it every 5 days? The activity is already pointless for some people (because they hoover it about once per month), so why not leave such "pointless" activities be done later, especially when they don't have any BIG impact on our lives, like those, that SHOULD be done? It's just about leaving more time for those...

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Audiobook +
  • Dishes
  • Cleaning
  • Cooking
  • Showering
  • Walking
  • Working Out
  • Shopping
  • Grooming/Brushing/Etc Animals
  • Tedious but necessary work
  • Graphic design

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Not necessarily. Suppose that you hoover the floor each 2/3 days. Why not just hoover it every 5 days? The activity is already pointless for some people (because they hoover it about once per month), so why not leave such "pointless" activities be done later, especially when they don't have any BIG impact on our lives, like those, that SHOULD be done? It's just about leaving more time for those...
The ultimate, is when you have more $ than time.
Just hire someone.

Even in college, I would spend 10 minutes doing motion graphics work, and then use that money to pay the local cleaner to do a month's worth of laundry for me all at once, including folding and sorting. That's leveraging time smart.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
Sorry, but this was exactly what the book "The One Thing" was about xD (which you seem to have based your comment on too... never mind, I am out too..)

-simply get other people to do tasks for you.

-when you are driving in the car, going to that contact in the city - it is also a good idea to think ahead, and perhaps call another contact that you are doing business with, so you solve 2 problems at once.

You can be creative at this - because it seems that a lot of books and people recently are against lists. I say, go ahead and have a diary of things you need to do in you head (so you don't even waste time writing it (just basic tasks) - unless it's for some big meeting month later).
You should have all your day already planned in you head, so you know what you need to do each hour. Don't waste too much time. Because you can have a 5 minute break each time you like anyway (nobody is holding a gun to your head, so...)

-But you are right pickeringmt, in a way, because here in our country we also have a saying : Whatever you can do today, do not leave for tomorrow.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Theres a few things. Im still young, and im trying to get a job doing "security". I work security now, but there are some posts where you literally do a simple 10 minute task every hour, and the rest of the time is basically down time. So essentially you would be getting paid 10$ an hour to research or run a business or whatever other thing you want to do in your down time except for sleeping or leaving the post. For young college students this can be a great job if you get on at the right post. There are also sleep studies that NASA will run that will pay about 20k for you to stay in a bed for a couple months, and you have access to a computer, and I believe the meals are payed for.

Those are mainly situations suited for young adults though.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I've been thinking about a dictaphone for a while. I've tried a few apps, but none of them were so easy to use as a regular dictaphone - push a button and record your thought... What type did you buy? I'll have a look.

The screenshot method is cool, I haven't thought about it at all! Will definitely implement it :)

Thanks for sharing, Dexter :)

I bought this one:

X9d3TsY.png

http://tinyurl.com/Olympus-WS-811

Though you can get cheaper and a lot more expensive. I found that apps are fine if you are not listening to a podcast on the phone at the same time but a real PITA if you are.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I do agree with the OP in using "idle brain time" while doing mindless activities, but one thing I have noticed is that I am way more effective when I don't try to multitask.

Science has proven that multitasking is BS.

Totally agree, most of the time multitasking is just stopping one process and starting another. Multiple processes broken into segments, switched out and performed in a linear approach.

However I don't think that all multitasking falls into this description. For tasks that allow for habitual automation such as washing dishes, walking, some production-line work, even driving (have you ever had a long drive home and then can't remember driving through part of the journey?) multitasking can be very effective. Basically anything that doesn't require cognitive function and can be automated is a prime candidate for adding a task such as learning a new language etc. to.

Here is a real slow lane (carpark) example. How many people have Gandmothers, Mothers or Aunties that can knit and watch soap opera's and not miss a single frame while also holding down a conversation? It's like their Superhero power. A total waste of a talent but still pretty impressive multitasking. ;)

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
My comprehension already suffers if I try to listen to audio books whilst doing anything else. Bummer.

I do make sure to always have a book with me, though, since trying to read on the smartphone usually doesn't lead to reading for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I believe with audio you can listen to a book or course while you're doing anything. I do have to say it's easier when you're by yourself though without distractions because of course if other people are around you're not going to take in that information. For the most part I always have something going on whether it's an audio book, or some course.

Basilius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 26, 2015
Czech Republic

Thanks for sharing. Even though I've already found one that I'm going to buy, it's good to see what are other people already using.

... and for the multitasking: I've stumbled upon this page (http://davecrenshaw.com/multitasking-example/) and did the exercise. It was funny to see how multitasking really isn't the way to go (at least for me). Since then I'm having the best results when focusing on one thing, finishing it and then move to another one. Not only I'm faster at actually finishing things, but also the feeling of accomplishment is refreshing.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
If you hate cooking, washing dishes, having long a$$ meals with a bout of food coma after ... And all you want to do is quickly re-fuel and keep on running I use the ultimate solution: www.soylent.com

I no longer use the kitchen, my dishes consist of one shaker cup and each meal takes <3 minutes. I use the time saved to work. I feel better. My thinking is more clear. I love it.

I'm not affiliated with them but if you have any practical questions feel free to PM. Been on it about a month.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
my dishes consist of one shaker cup and each meal takes <3 minutes
My dishes consist of two plates and when using the microwave@700W my bacon takes 4m20s to be perfect. You won.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Edit:
And read in the bathroom ;)
I used to do that and I thought that I used my time effectively, but since I love to read, I'd spent much more time in the bathroom than I had to.
What really helped was to get all books out of there and write my overall, big goals on the wall I look when sitting on the ceramic throne.
Instantly doubled my shitting speed!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.