The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who are the gurus to be wary of?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
If they got rich from a business other than being a guru, they might be okay.

For example:
Ready, Fire, Aim
One Simple Idea
The Millionare Fastlane
The Four Hour Work Week, maybe? (Haven't read it)
The Boron Letters by Gary Halbert

Are all legit written by people who have walked the walk, along watching the sharks on Shark Tank. That should be enough to get you going.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
If they have businesses... 10 multi-million dollar businesses and for some 'odd' reason they dropped everything just to 'show little ol you the secrets'

Watch out.

If they are talking about 'steps' to success

Watch out.

If they won't reveal their business, and you can't discern what industry they are in despite listening to loads of their content, but they have LOADS of advice about everything under the sun...

Watch out.

If they seem more passionate about teaching X number of students at Y amount of dollars each, at Z times a year than actually running their 'allegedly mega profitable super-awesome-business'....

Watch out and RUN.

If their last big hit and relevance was 25 years ago and are completely oblivious to what's happening now.

Watch out.

Honestly, if they are talking about anything other than in-the-trenches hard-won knowledge and experience or observations in an industry where they are directly involved and are a player in.....

Watch out.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
If they got rich from a business other than being a guru, they might be okay.

For example:
Ready, Fire, Aim
One Simple Idea
The Millionare Fastlane
The Four Hour Work Week, maybe? (Haven't read it)
The Boron Letters by Gary Halbert

Your First Hundred Million

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If they have businesses... 10 multi-million dollar businesses and for some 'odd' reason they dropped everything just to 'show little ol you the secrets'

Watch out.

If they are talking about 'steps' to success

Watch out.

If they won't reveal their business, and you can't discern what industry they are in despite listening to loads of their content, but they have LOADS of advice about everything under the sun...

Watch out.

If they seem more passionate about teaching X number of students at Y amount of dollars each, at Z times a year than actually running their 'allegedly mega profitable super-awesome-business'....

Watch out and RUN.

If their last big hit and relevance was 25 years ago and are completely oblivious to what's happening now.

Watch out.

Honestly, if they are talking about anything other than in-the-trenches hard-won knowledge and experience or observations in an industry where they are directly involved and are a player in.....

Watch out.

Gold post

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
I believe anyone claiming to be a guru is someone to watch out for.

It creates the belief that they know anything and everything about a certain subject. I've found that people that you should listen to realize that there is always more to learn and be aware of.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What's more important to them? The "message", or the money?

MJ seems to be on a mission. Spreading his message seems more important than a few extra dollars here and there.

Who here is trying to impart a message?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've found that people that you should listen to realize that there is always more to learn and be aware of.
I agree with this. I don't believe any guru has all the answers. There's to much to learn in life, and the moment you think you know everything, and have arrived there's always that one person that comes along and shows you, you don't know anything.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
This is my pet subject at the moment because I have recently had pointed out to me some shockingly wrong advice provided by a guru in my field.

Published books can be a good source of evidence for ascertaining whether or not they know what they are talking about and teaching. The problem there is that few seem willing to go into print - I wonder why?

One might expect that a blog with numerous questions answered would be evidence of knowledge worth paying for, but most of the blogs I have seen in my field of interest are riddled with errors and signs of ignorance. They also usually contain a lot of fluff in order to keep adding new content for Google.

What about AMA threads? You can find them on various forums, and it is much the same story as what I said above about blogs, except for the fluff.

If you know the answers, ask them the questions. If their answers are spot on, they might be able to teach you something else of value.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Published books can be a good source of evidence for ascertaining whether or not they know what they are talking about and teaching. The problem there is that few seem willing to go into print - I wonder why?

I would say because you have a lot of people that are writing blogs and books as they go along and learn it themselves and apply it to their lives. So their writing and mindset changes as they go along the trail of life. The one's that walk the walk end up being experts, but not always in it for the fast lane. There are others that outsource content which you can spot a mile away, because it's not personalized and tends to be like term papers, or they get many other writers that all write different and have a different voice, so you can spot that right away too, they're not an authority or know their stuff. There just in it for the money. And then there are the one's that copy other people's content and say it's theirs which usually gets shut down as soon as a group of writers such as Hubpages catches them stealing all kinds of content. Which is not an authority either. And then you have the authorities that have walked the walk and talk the talk which very few indeed.

This all mixed together makes it harder for the real deal to stand out. So unless you know what you're looking for and already developed like most in Fast Lane you're not going to to know the real thing from the fake thing, because you have to many snake oil salesmen, and the one's that are still learning and growing aren't aware yet that some of what they're writing isn't truth and fiction. Others again are just out for the money.

For someone to become an authority that takes a lot of learning and growing and developing, a long process, and not something that happens over night. And I can tell you I run into too many that race into the ball park and aren't prepared because they're in a hurry. I haven't raced anywhere, because I understood the last few years even if I went to school, got straight A's and on the Dean list, it didn't mean crap. And I've learned in seven years online through my own observation and interacting with people the moment you think you've arrived, doesn't mean you have arrived. You basically have to master everything in your life yourself first before anyone's really going to take you seriously and for your business, book, etc to last long term.

While I see lots of people throwing content out there, even to sell, I know they may be making money for a short period of time, but if they don't have a strong foundation to begin with, that's not going to last to long. That's why I say, I have put books out there, but it was to test the waters, and I won't put my novel out there, until I know it's ready. It's all trial and error, and frankly I had to laugh because if you meet the people where they're at, and no your audience, they'll respond. And it's not always the trend. I just threw one book out there this forum wouldn't do! I had more reads on that book then I did on any subjects discussed in this forum. Why I laughed, is because the reviews were good, except for one.

And that person stated there are to many cancerous books out there, and it's apparent this author has never been around this subject. This is an example, of someone not ready to hear the truth, and I did walk the walk and went through the journey, so even if you do know what you're talking about, there's a group of the population that is on the other side of ignorance and unaware of the subject. And think you're wrong. And it seems that's when I usually get the negative reviews. When I've done my home work, applied it to my life, put it out there, and someone person that hasn't reach self actualization or transcendence says, you don't know what you're talking about. And this is part of the lesson, you can listen to people all day tell you, you don't know what you're talking about, and sure you can get self-doubts and start believing maybe you don't. lol I think that is the lesson, not allowing you to be thrown of course, because others are at a different place.

I very seldom tell people they're wrong in the business world because I know unless I know for a fact it's wrong, there's no point in pointing it out, unless I have the facts and evidence to prove it is wrong. And I'm still growing and developing myself. I'm one of those people that also look at everything and everyone, and see what's working for them and not working for them. And who my competition is, and sure I don't like always watching and reading everything, but I can say it teaches you a lot, and reading reviews and seeing what the public says. I suppose I am just a firm believer rather then staring at statistics too, look at what's happening and going on. Comments, and interaction on the internet. I can't say it's the perfect method, but I can tell you people get trapped and caught up in guru's and tools.

For example: Like the Meyer's and Brigg's: People get stuck in that box, and see one person say, it's a diagnosis and they're diseased. They get focused on something and get stuck there. So yes, tools and Guru's can get you stuck in places you don't want to be. And I suppose right off the bat in 2010 I understood don't get stuck in groups and tools. Because they're boxes and you're mindset tends to gravitate towards whatever the guru or tool teaches you and usually to get the money.

And personally, I do gravitate towards other countries because American stuff just seems to be stuck in a victim mentality mindset or not exactly steering people to the real deal and knowledge. It's like same b.s. but mixed up in niches and I suppose it just depends on whether you want to be the real deal, or just be another person that hides the truth just to make money. Either way you're going to make money, but I suppose I just drift off to becoming the real deal versus pretending I'm something that I'm not.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.