The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So you want to move to Scottsdale?

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
AZ has 4 seasons too; warm, hot, hotter, and hell no.
The cart cabbie told me that he's had to walk his dog at five am in the summer because otherwise the dog would burn his feet!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
AZ has 4 seasons too; warm, hot, hotter, and hell no.
Just checked the weather in Phoenix, AZ and its in the 90's! Here in VA its 43 F. The moment I walk out the car when I come visit AZ in August, I'm most likely going to be saying hell no! I'm picturing me saying hell no in Chris Tuckers voice lmfao! This should be an interesting experience to say the least.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I stayed in Scottsdale on my way to California one time on a cross-country trip. It's beautiful. I wouldn't mind living there at all. I was there in summer and yes it was hot. I stayed at the Phoenician Resort. Anyone been there? I guess everything looks beautiful when you're at the Phoenician :)

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Me wanting to move to AZ or maybe even TX is because, I've lived on the East Coast for my whole life. I have never been to the West Coast. So just being able to experience a new environment and atmosphere seems very enjoyable and interesting. Have other successful entrepreneurs is nice also, but that's not even the main selling point or hardly even part of it. Just looking at some of the pictures that have been posted on this thread makes me feel like it would be a enjoyable place to live. Also considering all the stories of seeing exotic cars quite a bit, I don't have that here where I live. Seems like an awesome motivation factor.

One memory I will never forget was coming on to the interstate in or from Houston, TX (forgot), was seeing a Lamborghini shop. I felt very enthralled and optimistic at that moment and said "one day I'm going to own one of those". I was just way to excited, I need that feeling of optimism again. Living in a environment where your intuition is telling you, your meant to be somewhere else is difficult for me do what I want.

I know in this current state of mind I have, if I move right now, know where I go is going to satisfy me. So I'm going to be very consistent in my actions to the day I decide to move, so I transition well and immediately get to work.

Everything I'm hearing about AZ seems like a place I would like to move to and possibly live. But, like MJ stated before in this thread, to visit in mid-August to get the feel of the weather; I'm defiantly going to be doing that. The weather seems awesome, but the heat is the only thing I'm worried about haha. Having the full experience of 4 seasons here in VA is nice, so living in AZ is going to be a very different feel, going to get sometime getting used to, that's if I decide to live there.

There a lot more to AZ then Phoenix area. You can live there and travel to Flagstaff in the winter if you miss snow. Or live somewhere like Prescott if you want closer to 4 seasons without being as cold as the east coast.

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
There a lot more to AZ then Phoenix area. You can live there and travel to Flagstaff in the winter if you miss snow. Or live somewhere like Prescott if you want closer to 4 seasons without being as cold as the east coast.
Wow, cool. Yeah, its pretty damn cold right now and its almost spring. The weather here in VA is very bipolar. Few days ago it was in the 70's and now its in the 30's. Was suppose to snow today, but it didn't thankfully.

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ
That being said, when it really comes down to it, we love snow (for a bit, and on our terms) and love the ocean. I think that we're eventually going to go the migratory route where we rotate places throughout the year.....

^This. If I can to it with a wife and two little kids in tow anyone can.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea whether it is to sail or to watch it we are going back from whence we came.
~John F. Kennedy

So...who wants to get weird - there had been studies that showed your heart rate decreases by 15% as soon as you step into the water. Your primal reactions take over and you 'connect" to the earlier fish stages of your development as an embryo. I've had so many days when I am sitting inside and want to punch things and hate everything, and don't want to drive 5 minutes to the ocean because what's the point, but then I go, and after a swim everything is better. Watching it works too for me, but that takes longer and isn't as profound of a change.

So we're stuck on AZ.... who else wants to throw a hat into the ring? I've tracked Austin weather over the last few months and it is just too cold, their nights can go freezing and even during the day it hit 30-40 regularly in the winter. How about a little more north up the east coast, somewhere with a varied terrain but still no snow?

Also, Houston? How is Colorado in the winter?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Houston and Dallas suck, weather wise. I think Austin may be similar but a little less humid. Decent amount of Entrepreneurs in the area.

I will NOT live on the upper middle east coast. I'll never LIVE in snow. F*ck that noise.

Honestly, I've been spoiled. Grew up in California, lived near the coast in college, and here in Scottsdale. I HATE the cold and I don't understand why anyone lives in freezing temperatures.

The only cold I like is when I'm up snowboarding and have a cabin to go back to (or home where it's not snowing).

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
The property taxes are also quite high in Texas. I believe it was posted about in another thread, double in some cases.

Vegas might be worth considering for folks getting ready for a liquidation, favorable tax environment.

Vegas/Summerlin, Property tax rates seem comparable to Scottsdale.

Last edited:

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Mosquitoes in summer here in Texas are no joke. They've been known to carry off little kids if you're not careful. In fact, this farmer I know once told me a story of how......

So anyway, the heat is pretty brutal as well. Can easily get over 100F in the summer with humidity so people usually migrate from AC oasis to AC oasis.

Houston: Horrible traffic, swampy, floods with minimal effort, BRUTALLY swampy weather in the spring/summer, hurricanes. + food, people, culture, cost of living. Lots (!!) of money rolling around, not much of an entrepreneurial culture.

Austin: See above, with too many damn Californians coming here and ruining what was once a nice little place deep in the Heart of Texas. (Note to the carpetbaggers: we're not California and we don't want to be. :) ). COL(housing wise) is getting out of control (just check on Zillow) to see what I mean. Pretty interesting entrepreneurial culture. Awesome food. Lots to do. And (I'm told, don't look anymore) that there are lots of pretty ladies. Five colleges in the area, including UT.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Have you tracked their bugs? Mosquitoes? Getting eaten alive while trying to BBQ a steak? :confused:;)

Doesn't Arizona have scorpions though? My aunt and uncle used to live there and the memory of a scorpion in a shoe sticks in my mind...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Doesn't Arizona have scorpions though?

Yup, I see a scorpion probably once every 3 months. Once in awhile I'll find one in the house too which is always an interesting episode, depending on who finds it.i

Last edited:

geekboy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 8, 2013
Cheshire, UK
There a lot more to AZ then Phoenix area. You can live there and travel to Flagstaff in the winter if you miss snow. Or live somewhere like Prescott if you want closer to 4 seasons without being as cold as the east coast

Spent the night in Flagstaff about 18 months back - really nice place. And the road from there heading to the grand canyon is unbelievable. Nothing but sunshine, pine trees and mountains as far as the eye can see!

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Come on, that is an excuse.

I don't want to be harsh, but if you wanted to actually do this, then you would find a way.

I only say that because I am not an American citizen. Yet I found a way to get to Scottsdale and Live there for a while. In fact I got into trouble for staying in the US for too long. Just look up what you need to do and how you would do it and go from there.

Similar to business, you take it one step at a time and solve problems accordingly. Never let the first barrier you can think of interfere with your end goal.

I have had the pleasure of other people giving me similar advice, I hope it comes in handy :)

As an extra boost of motivation... This is what my balcony view from my bedroom looked like the whole time I was there:

View attachment 9362

You would be absolutely spot on, had I the foresight to save money before recently or I were running an already-covering-my-expenses location independent business. :)

As it is I need to be in at least a similar timezone to my clients, and I deal B2B so tourist visas aren't going to cut it. I am, however, very jealous of the view!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I've never seen a scorpion here except at the zoo...

We did see a rattlesnake crossing the trail while hiking superstition. Freakin thing even rattled at us.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
It's hard to leave my Canadian stomping ground...

okanagan.jpg

urbanization39131.jpg

Can I just migrate there for the fall/winter? :D

Wow ... Okanagon is Gorgeous. I love Canada. Ontario is my home away from home.

But I've never seen a picture of Okanagan before. Wow.

Amazing. Now I want to go there.

Yeah ... I can defiantly see why it would be hard to leave.

I have (for the record) sung a song that mentions Okanagon (I memorized "I'm Canadian" by John Fox ... to surprise my Canadian Friends).

Well ... suffice to say ... now I know what that verse about "Okanagon wine" is referring to. Gorgeous. :)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Any input on Savannah GA? For a guy who just turned 30? Boredom galore?

I am starting to feel like the combo of chill town like Fort lauderdale with a 30 min ride to a big city like Miami is going to be hard to beat.

wolfie

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Mar 10, 2015
Scottsdale
Any input on Savannah GA? For a guy who just turned 30? Boredom galore?

I am starting to feel like the combo of chill town like Fort lauderdale with a 30 min ride to a big city like Miami is going to be hard to beat.
I lived in Savannah for 4-5 years. Im in Scottsdale now. Savannah is beautiful (aside from mosquitos/gnats/humidity), River street is fun to visit and Tybee beach is only 30-45 minutes away depending where you live. Honestly it depends what you're looking for when moving. IMO tho its a great place to visit but not live.

Edit: For a guy that just turned 30, unless you have some friends there or just want to go to the beach everyday, I absoultely do NOT recommend Savannah.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"The best way to choose yourself is to build a community of other people choosing themselves." - James Altucher from his blog post today

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
How did I miss this thread...? Lol..

Well for those who need a testimonial from another Fastlaner who took the leap, take it from me.
We made our move here last August (at the hottest time of the year), and we *LOVE* it here!!

Here's the thread I posted about it, with more pros / cons (pretty much no cons, lol) being discussed:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/finally-moving-to-scottsdale-arizona.53494/

A couple of pics we've taken right from your front and back yard since we moved here. These are untouched, mobile phone shots. Scottsdale sunrise + orange pickin's in February(!)
8Oi8rZB.jpg

Zio8cnJ.jpg

The only single thing I miss here is the ocean and beaches, but hey - that's what vacations are for! :)
But you're pretty much living a vacation all year round here anyway.

And the heat? Me, my wife, and kids have had no problems with it. It was 115F / 45 C + for some time here. Big deal. That heat is drrryyyy as a bone and feels nice! I rather have 115 F dry any day over 85 and humid / muggy like in so many other places, ugh.
It honestly doesn't feel that bad.

@LightHouse and @Vigilante touched on the subject of coming here expecting instant networking. Good points - networking is only what you make of it. But I'm trying to actively stay in touch with as many Fastlaners as possible here. It's about what you make of it, and for me it's been awesome so far.

I created a Facebook group for those of us who live here, and we have had several lunch meetups and get togethers in one form or another. There are poker nights, there are xbox game nights, there is ALWAYS something to do or someone to meet if you want to and make an effort.

30kZBgl.jpg

@biophase , @JasonR , @Catalyst , @splok , and others have been to my house a few times and nothing beats chilling out with great Fastlaner friends, shoot the shit, talk biz, or just have some xbox fun in my StayblCam hq / "board room", lol:

So to all those who are thinking about moving.. Just do it! You won't regret it I can assure you. If living here and meeting other likeminded people won't keep you driven, accountable, and motivated to success - then nothing will. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Did you rent a house or buy one.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Did you rent a house or buy one.
We decided to rent at first, as it gives us time to get to know different areas better while we live here for a while. The goal is to eventually buy though, once we have familiarized much better with the various neighborhoods, market pricing, etc.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I would destroy all of you in Call of Duty. Perhaps poker too.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Soon....

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
hey guys. long time lurker. As far as beaches in Arizona , look up Lake Havasu city. One of the largest spring break spots in the world. They even moved a bridge from London there. Big joke. They thought they were getting the actual London bridge. Will be moving back there in a few months from cold a$$ Massachusetts. Lots of nascar and offroad teams make their homes there and just south in Parker Az. The climate is right for small businesses in Mohave County.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just jumping into this thread again...

The thing that sucks about living in Arizona is that I feel like I'm missing out on its best weather Nov-April when I take a vacation during that time!

Just to give you guys an idea about possible roadtrips for those who "miss" things when in Phoenix.

Los Angeles - 6 hour drive
San Diego - 8 hour drive
Vegas - 4.5 hour drive, 3 in MJs Lambo :)
Flagstaff for skiing and snowboarding - 2 hour drive
Grand Canyon - 4 hour drive
Mexico for beaches - 7 hour drive

Some drives are a little long, but there are so many different weekend trips you can take from Phoenix. Even if you worked a 9 to 5 you would have way better 3 day weekends.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Another observation that I wanted to mention... I foster dogs when I'm in AZ, namely German Shepherd dogs. They come from a very good rescue that treats them very well. Volunteers take the dogs out for walks and play with them daily. The problem is that are still living in a rescue home, inside a cage or crate. When they cannot find adopters or fosters for these dogs, they just live there, sometimes for over a year. They get better, but never get to their full potential.

When I foster a dog and bring them into my happy home, the changes in them are amazing. To me, it just shows what a good environment can do for them. They make complete 180 changes. The dog in my profile pic to the left, Phoebe, was my last foster. I could not even touch her below her neck without her crying and running off. 4 months later she was a normal acting, playful dog! Now she is with a loving couple in her permanent home.

I make this post, because I believe that people need the same thing. The big difference is that a dog cannot choose to move, but you can. You can choose to change your environment. I believe that deep inside, you will know "if" you need a change. Something inside you is burning telling you that your current living situation is just not right for you. Even if you aren't sure if Arizona or Texas is right for you, you should give a new place a shot. The worse possible outcome is that you move back to where you came from.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.