The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

one day you will die.

Anything related to matters of the mind

K.Y.

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 4, 2013
I discovered the concept of "memento mori" a year or so ago. it's latin for "remember that you have to die."

since then I've tracked every week of my life on a 52x80 grid. every sunday I black out a box. I've crossed out 1,319 boxes now and assuming I live to 80 then I have 2,841 boxes left.

here's a picture of it on my wall.

20150314_213113.jpg

some of you may resonate with this and some of you may not thinking it's too grim. I just know that it has helped me tremendously.

every time I feel fear I always go back to the thought of "one day you will die" and 95% of the time that's enough to push me through the fear and do whatever it is I was afraid of.

now I know some of you may not want a massive calendar on your wall so I created a little tool. the idea is to set your page as your browsers homepage and be reminded of that fact that you are mortal and have finite time.

http://deathcalendar.com (probably could have thought of a less aggressive name)

the idea for the site was inspired by a site I saw on reddit where the counter tracks days instead (http://countmydays.com)

a favorite quote from my homie steve

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life.

Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

-Steve Jobs

some of my favorite videos relating to death.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
One day you will die but that's also reason not to think of it untill it happens. That said it's good to motivate yourself like that sometimes because as Seneca said: In our fears we are mortal, in our desires we are immortal.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I don't know if I need to mark off the days of my life. I've worked for elderly and faced death many times, I've had two friends murdered, and just normal death happens to people in life. Death is just part of the cycle of life. Emotional, mental, spiritual, physical death. Winter is death to nature. Divorce or an end of relationship is death. Depression is death.

There's no reason to fear death, or focus on it. So really you just have to accept it as you never know when that will be, where, when, how, and fortunately, right now is all you have. So, great Idea to have a calender. I've just seen enough death in my time. Life is short period. I rather not focus on it at all. I rather focus on life and the living, motion, breathing, and taking action. I suppose because I've been around it so much, I am fearless of death.

While my friend died 8 months ago, the reason he died motivates me more then death its self. I suppose it's always about Justice with me. I believe this may be something that motivates you, but it probably is different for every person. Different things motivate you. For me it's probably the shock and or people's actions and wishing the world was a bit more sane for everyone.

This has always been my favorite song since it came out! And like it says, "Don't tell me if I'm dying, because I don't want to know." I rather not know. I rather live life to the fullest.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I love the website. Brilliant.
I just noticed that I'm almost at one third of my life - probably more, as 80 is a pretty optimistic forecast.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
The clock on the wall
Ticking away
"Seize the Day"
I heard him say
Life will not always be this way
Look around
Hear the sounds
Cherish your life
While you're still around

Joe Middleton

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 25, 2015
London
I think that's a great mind set to have. as Jobs said "Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose" It helps you realise that there's no reason to play it safe. It's actually the speech that helped me leave my job and start my own business. Now, I'm the happiest I've ever been.

Don't be afraid to take risks! Pursue your dreams and don't let excuses or fear hold you back.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Seems like a good motivation tool, don't be lulled into thinking that there's any guarantee that you'll get 80 years.

Any day along the way could be our last, so it's good to find a balance and learn to deepen to the things that are most important in each day along the way.

Autarkeia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Aug 4, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
I like this a lot. I actually just made my own "Life in Weeks" calendar in excel. If you could expand on this to provide the ability to enter significant dates (married, children born, career changes, graduation, etc) I’d be a huge huge fan.

More importantly - Something is wrong with your code to calculate how many weeks have passed. I’ve been alive for 1505 weeks and your site calculated 1510. Not a huge difference but I’m close to my birthday so it was obvious.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
My mom didn't make it out of her 50's & my dad died in his early 60's. One was health issues, the other was an accident. We are guaranteed nothing. Do you sell the yellow calendar that you pictured?

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
No, I dissagree, you will maybe die, but not all people will
Proof:
Mark 9:1 And Jesus was saying to them, "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God after it has come with power."
Proof 2: More importantly, almost everyone who does some spiritual stuff - KNOWS they are not going to die anyway.
quote3.png

Autarkeia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Aug 4, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Proof:
Mark 9:1 And Jesus was saying to them, "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God after it has come with power."
Proof 2: More importantly, almost everyone who does some spiritual stuff - KNOWS they are not going to die anyway.
View attachment 9364
:rolleyes:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Proof:

This isn't a religious debate thread. Please reference the rules of the forum before further posting on the topic, thank you.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
This isn't a religious debate thread. Please reference the rules of the forum before further posting on the topic, thank you.
I know, but I just say that not a lot of people who do something spiritual believe in death.
The topic of this thread was allready death (spiritual experience).

I just say that while we are debating a spiritual experience, I just say, that there are a lot of people who do not agree, that they are going to "die". I am one of them.

Last edited:

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
We are "lucky" though, that atleast we can learn how to live the longest.

Last edited:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
We are "lucky" though, that atleast we can learn how to live the longest.

ReallyBruh.jpg

//and if I have something to add to my last post - don´t some people here have a bible quote here - for example in their avatar/signature?

You are permitted to express your personal belief system through a quote/bible verse, sure. Expression in a signature is not a debate in a forum thread.

I just say that while we are debating a spiritual experience,

There is no debate here. This is expressly forbidden per forum rules. Just like politics. Please refresh yourself on forum etiquette. It's fine to have your personal belief system. This thread is about having a calendar, a visual representation of your lifetime, and how that can impact your productivity for the better. Please stick to the topic presented by the OP.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Red is correct. We generally don't debate much, but we definitely don't debate religion. There are plenty of forums out there on that topic and you can go there for that debate and discuss it until the end of the world, or the end of your physical manifestation here on this earth. At this point, we return to the OP and please don't belabor the point further, or I will throw you in the penalty box. With that, this thread returns to the original, and sobering topic.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
I like it. Helps you realize the insignificance of 99% of the things we deem significant.

K.Y.

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 4, 2013
One day you will die but that's also reason not to think of it untill it happens.

I fell into the trap of thinking I'd live forever. not literally but I'd always "tomorrow" and "someday" stuff only to find myself in the same place years later.

I love the website. Brilliant.
I just noticed that I'm almost at one third of my life - probably more, as 80 is a pretty optimistic forecast.

it is. i just went on wikipedia and looked at the number 80 was a nice and even number so I picked it :)

Seems like a good motivation tool, don't be lulled into thinking that there's any guarantee that you'll get 80 years.

Any day along the way could be our last, so it's good to find a balance and learn to deepen to the things that are most important in each day along the way.

yep! I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. it's more of a way to realize that one day I will die and that I don't have forever.

I like this a lot. I actually just made my own "Life in Weeks" calendar in excel. If you could expand on this to provide the ability to enter significant dates (married, children born, career changes, graduation, etc) I’d be a huge huge fan.

More importantly - Something is wrong with your code to calculate how many weeks have passed. I’ve been alive for 1505 weeks and your site calculated 1510. Not a huge difference but I’m close to my birthday so it was obvious.

yeah I know there's something off with the numbers. it's like +5 for some weeks. it was a project I thought of and decided to execute on as quickly as possible. :)

My mom didn't make it out of her 50's & my dad died in his early 60's. One was health issues, the other was an accident. We are guaranteed nothing. Do you sell the yellow calendar that you pictured?

we are guaranteed nothing other than death.

I do sell them here: http://moricalendar.com/

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
OP .......love what you done here. Well done ....Very likely to force habitual change in large physical format. I have something similar, but disguised in calendar format, so as to avoid debate during meetings.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yikes. Just saw mine... more than half black.

Very sobering, and a damn good kick up the britches.

Thanks OP.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I discovered the concept of "memento mori" a year or so ago. it's latin for "remember that you have to die."

since then I've tracked every week of my life on a 52x80 grid. every sunday I black out a box. I've crossed out 1,319 boxes now and assuming I live to 80 then I have 2,841 boxes left.

20150314_213113.jpg

some of you may resonate with this and some of you may not thinking it's too grim. I just know that it has helped me tremendously.

every time I feel fear I always go back to the thought of "one day you will die" and 95% of the time that's enough to push me through the fear and do whatever it is I was afraid of.

now I know some of you may not want a massive calendar on your wall so I created a little tool. the idea is to set your page as your browsers homepage and be reminded of that fact that you are mortal and have finite time.

http://deathcalendar.com (probably could have thought of a less aggressive name)

the idea for the site was inspired by a site I saw on reddit where the counter tracks days instead (http://countmydays.com)

a favorite quote from my homie steve

some of my favorite videos relating to death.

...and Wilson told me my posts are philosophical :)

It's a good reminder. Think about your death bed (assuming you get one) would you rather regret not trying, or regret not getting it right?

Think about jr. high or high school--do you regret not asking her/him out? Or do you say "If I knew then what I know now." That is experience from action taking. Go do something. Or regret it when you're old and dying.

Autarkeia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Aug 4, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
@K.Y. Can I ask how you built deathcalendar.com?

It looks like a mixture of jquery and wordpress? I'm really comfortable in wordpress and php but would like to learn some jquery.

K.Y.

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 4, 2013
...and Wilson told me my posts are philosophical :)

It's a good reminder. Think about your death bed (assuming you get one) would you rather regret not trying, or regret not getting it right?

Think about jr. high or high school--do you regret not asking her/him out? Or do you say "If I knew then what I know now." That is experience from action taking. Go do something. Or regret it when you're old and dying.

here's a quote by rapper hopsin

When I’m scared to tackle an obstacle, I close my eyes and pretend I’m an 80 year old man who regrets not tackling all the obstacles he wanted to in life. Then when I feel like that old man, I say to myself, “I wish I was young again”, then I open my eyes….And BOOM! I’m young again.

also. at the meet up @The Duc said these wise wise words.

Would your ten year old self bitch slap you right now? - @The Duc the philosopher, prophet, and progressive thinker

K.Y.

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 4, 2013
@K.Y. Can I ask how you built deathcalendar.com?

It looks like a mixture of jquery and wordpress? I'm really comfortable in wordpress and php but would like to learn some jquery.

it's primarily just css, html, and php.

the hardest part is just the date logic with php.

no need for jquery or wordpress. i'm a wordpress dev so it's just easier for me and I wanted to use a form plugin to capture the submission data easily. :)

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Eh.. Some people may be around for a lot longer than 100 or even 200 years. Im not sure if it will happen in my lifetime but if it does I will probably tell them to kill me at some point lol.

NicholasJames

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 20, 2015
you sign up just to say that? RESPECT :D

No that just ironically became my first post!

On topic though, this is a really interesting way to look at things. I think some people would find it depressing but others would like the idea. I might incorporate into my schedule just to give me an extra boost.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO

20150314_213113.jpg

Thank you for sharing this, I appreciate it. It is a little sad, yet motivating so I made an excel spreadsheet of the years/weeks and plan on putting it above my white board. If anyone on here is interested in getting a copy, just send me a message and I'll send it to you in an attachment

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.