The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guru Books Are A Road To Nowhere

A post of a ranting nature...

Ben_Weider

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Mar 3, 2015
I am making this thread to let out my anger on most business books:headbanger:

What I HATE is books that don't tell you anything related to business. They will tell you that you can become rich, promise you will be able to do it if you just believe!

Well guess what thats all BS there I said said:cool:

They can fill the market for motivational books, but when it comes to actual material they won't tell you anything useful.

I KNOW WHAT MANY OF YOU ARE THINKING "BEN, WHY DON"T YOU STOP READING BOOKS AND GO FIGURE THINGS OUT FOR YOURSELF!!"

That's exactly what I'm talking about, why do they even have these books on how to start a small business when most of them only achieve one purpose and that is feeding you with the hope that you'll be successful

In the process of writing this little rant I came up with an idea:hurray:

Since this forum is about sharing
AND
Sharing is caring

I WILL SHARE WITH YOU MY IDEA

Make a site where you must pay to join and it's dedicated to pairing mentors with members.

Like this site, but try to fill every market.

Well theres my rant:rockon:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
No so many books are so bad as you think. Well, so example, I didn't like some books, however, other people said their found a treasure reading those books. No exist a universal book on how to make money and etc. I saw many sites which pushed different ideas for free or a bit fee. So what?
Ok, 1 of my biggest problems which I try to solve is a Paypal account. No one book will give me the ready resolution on stuff. I must solve it myself.
Good luck.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I think I get your point. 99% of the educational content I see sold around is pure shit.

From my experience, there is a way to choose well. Before buying, check:
  • Has the author walked the walk? Don't trust people who don't do what they teach you. Trust people who made millions doing it.
  • Does the book solve a specific problem? Generic books spew generic horseshit. Specific books illustrate specific processes.
And in the end, 10% studying, 90% doing. The process is in the little bumps in the road no book can prepare you for.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
  • Has the author walked the walk? Don't trust people who don't do what they teach you. Trust people who made millions doing it.
So you're telling me I shouldn't listen to the entrepreneur that tells me to invest at 4% a year?

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014

What I HATE is books that don't tell you anything related to business. They will tell you that you can become rich, promise you will be able to do it if you just believe!

They can fill the market for motivational books, but when it comes to actual material they won't tell you anything useful.

I KNOW WHAT MANY OF YOU ARE THINKING "BEN, WHY DON"T YOU STOP READING BOOKS AND GO FIGURE THINGS OUT FOR YOURSELF!!"

That's exactly what I'm talking about, why do they even have these books on how to start a small business when most of them only achieve one purpose and that is feeding you with the hope that you'll be successful

AND
Sharing is caring

Make a site where you must pay to join and it's dedicated to pairing mentors with members.

I actually totally disagree with your premise.

The best way to build success is to assimilate the ideas and actions that have created success for other people. Books let you model some of the biggest successes in history.

Look at TMF - that book is solid gold. Actionable stuff that you can use.

Your displeasure with books is probably more from an incorrect mindset (Im helpless, I need a book) and just choosing the wrong books.

Don't blame books for not being what you want them to be. That is ridiculous.

Don't look at books like a pill that is going to make you somehow more capable. A book is only a tool - it is still your job to use it, and use the right one.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012

AND
Sharing is caring

"Like this site, but try to fill every market."

Just curious, but what do you mean by this?

Is this a marketplace for any type of mentor? Like an aspiring chef seeking a mentor? or a new teacher seeking an experienced teacher mentor?

Is this an "Ebay" for mentor/mentee's?

Is the mentor compensated for their time?

If so, how much?

Possibly a good idea, now its time for you to execute.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Guru Books Are A Road To Nowhere

I disagree. Most guru books are a road to their sales funnel.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think for me I understand some books are good for the destination of the right mindset. Once you're past that point, well there's not a whole lot of great books to get to where you want to be in success. It's repetitive. And I agree with M.J. it serves the sales funnel. While I'm just getting into the finance books, etc, I suppose that's why I pay attention to what people recommend in here, instead of wasting my time on books that are just going to give the same junk out over and over again.

I have to believe if you've reached this point, you're in the right direction. :)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Maybe if you looked at books as less of a road map and more of a scrap book you might get more from them.

Don't try to follow a book verbatim, pick the parts that make most sense to you and your market. Then adopt, adapt and refine.

You will find other books that will add more meat to the subject to help you refine that idea further so you can apply, adapt and refine. That's why many of us read lots of books. No one author has all the answers.

It's part of becoming successful, i.e. it's a process

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
It sounds like you are talking about a get rich quick or how to do XYZ to make ABC profit type book in X amount of time. The books are made by internet markets who are essentially modern day snake oil salesmen. The reason they make these books is because they realized they can con newbies into believing that there's some magic process out there they allows you to get rich without putting in any effort, from the comfort of ones home, in your underwear, with little to no cash outlay. They found out they can't actually make money doing something but they can feed off unsuspecting suckers that don't know any better. There's many books that will teach a skill that could allow a person to start a business, nut there's few that teach every skill one need, but there no surefire way to ever guarantee results and you will never find anything like this no matter what the guru's tell you.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I have come to learn that the only gurus I need are people who are doing what I want to do and being who I want to be. 99/100 times these people are not writing books trying to teach me how to be rich.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I don't know that your premise is grounded. Sure there are tons of pretend gurus who--as MJ says--get rich telling you to do something, which they are not doing, but there are plenty of experienced people tell the story of their path to success.

I think if you read The Millionaire Fastlane to realize there's a better way than a 401k and then read Ready, Fire, Aim you'll pretty much have been given a road map to success. A literal road map. MJ tells you why the rat race is bullshit, then gives you a set of criteria for where to choose your industry/niche; Michael Masterson then gives you the steps and actions you should take in each phase of that businesses' growth.

Those two books and some tenacious hustle will net you a comfortable (or better) life in only a couple of years.

ZeroExile

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 10, 2014
Florida
Really? I find it to be lucrative market but it's a bit er flooded now, not like when I was 14-16. I can give an example of it.

I was just 15 selling a program that automatically "made them money", luckily it would take weeks or months to bring any money and they were committed so it wasn't debunked immediately. I showed proof that it worked, it wouldn't last long though. I made about $100 the next 3 days after forgetting about it. How interesting that people bought the mysterious money making machine. I'm not very sympathetic, if anything it taught them a lesson. I had to answer people and keep them convinced that it would work if they tried hard enough for long enough. I decided it was boring and moved on. Some may find this to be sneaky but I am very experimental and like to test new markets. My first years in business were sort of ummm scammy but I moved on from that path for good. After reading his book, I reevaluated my future and that isn't something I wanted to do for many obvious reasons...

I'm 18 now btw, just saying that it makes sense that these fraudulent, shitty, get rich money schemes would be so enticing for those wanting to get rich without process. There are those who know that and take advantage of it like I did.

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
Exactly my point. Thanks for admitting that your were conning people. The black market for drugs is also a lucrative market...

Really? I find it to be lucrative market but it's a bit er flooded now, not like when I was 14-16. I can give an example of it.

I was just 15 selling a program that automatically "made them money", luckily it would take weeks or months to bring any money and they were committed so it wasn't debunked immediately. I showed proof that it worked, it wouldn't last long though. I made about $100 the next 3 days after forgetting about it. How interesting that people bought the mysterious money making machine. I'm not very sympathetic, if anything it taught them a lesson. I had to answer people and keep them convinced that it would work if they tried hard enough for long enough. I decided it was boring and moved on. Some may find this to be sneaky but I am very experimental and like to test new markets. My first years in business were sort of ummm scammy but I moved on from that path for good. After reading his book, I reevaluated my future and that isn't something I wanted to do for many obvious reasons...

I'm 18 now btw, just saying that it makes sense that these fraudulent, shitty, get rich money schemes would be so enticing for those wanting to get rich without process. There are those who know that and take advantage of it like I did.

Humble man

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 21, 2015
In The Present
Last edited:

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014

AND
Sharing is caring

You see Ben,
Point is, that these books are MOTIVATIONAL books, but being sold under the name of business books. If you want read a business book, they buy forbes, manager magazine, read P. Drucker books and others.

The only point of these books is to sell you someone's dream, show you that you can do it as well, and, make the author account in the bank bigger.

If you want really good advices, go to university, and look for lectures being made by real, well known and succesfull entrepreneurs in the reals world. I don't know how in the USA, but in Poland it is quite common that the richest people are coming for some free speeches to the best universities.

So, again.
If you want to know how make business, read how to make business, not how others made their business. Moreover, if there is author who is talking about succesfull,business, but he has written 5+ books! throw it to trash. People who are really making money are not writing books to sell them on amazon. They do it to earn money, but, this has not much to do with the content they are selling. Start with basics, understanding the basic of micro and macroeconomy, and so on.... Marketing management, magazines about the market you are in etc.

Read about the real business, not fairly tales which moving your imaginations, but are not telling anything how to proceed and what is business in reality.

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
Some of these people are some of the worst offenders in terms of modern day snake oil salesmen. Yes some provide a little useful content, but it's not going to allow a person to get rich quick as they proclaim. Even worse they sell these courses for thousands of dollars and they push out new courses constantly. Dan Kennedy is one of the worse offenders. In general anyone that does in person seminars is not practicing what they preach because they can make more money pushing their information on the uninformed.

you are picking silly books.

stick with dan kennedy, jay abraham, alan weiss, gary halbert, and robert collier. that'll give you a good start.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.