The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kindle vs Ebook vs Online Course?

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I have an idea for a book/course I could offer to people interested in opening a retail store, or some variation.

There's about a half-dozen books on the topic on Amazon, plus a website that's no longer active which I think used to sell a course.

I have put a rough outline of the pitch/copy together but am not sure whether I should pursue creating it as a Kindle book, which would probably sell for < $5, an ebook with website for maybe $47 - $97, as a course for $150 - $300, or some combination.

What do you think?

It seems like maybe I could do a portion of the total topics as a Kindle book (or books), then do a more comprehensive ebook on a website, and finally offer a course with email support for specific questions, etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
It seems like maybe I could do a portion of the total topics as a Kindle book (or books), then do a more comprehensive ebook on a website, and finally offer a course with email support for specific questions, etc.
You just answered your own question. Figure out what the other books are doing wrong, fix those problems, and produce something better than the competition.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Kindle sucks for B2B style infoproduct... even as a lead magnet. I wouldn't bother... You'll just get discouraged by lack of results.
  • Do an ebook + landing page. It's the FASTEST path between you and profitability.
  • Once the ebook is done, create a course that expands on the ideas, as well as re-explains the ideas in video-form
  • Upsell the course to all prior buyers of the ebook, and set-up an upsell system for new buyers to immediately "upgrade" to the course
  • Once the funnel's built and profitible, you can work on refining lead gateways such as kindle, seo, social, etc.
Rely on direct marketing and hustling when you first start. Find people who would be interested, and contact them directly until you're making money. Once the money's starting to come in, you can start figuring out PPC which will act as your main traffic-source form there on out.

Please, if you're doing something for "people who want to start a business" make sure you REALLY ARE an expert in this area. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time. There are plenty of opportunities all around that haven't been tapped out.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Great input Dennis. I am indeed an expert on this topic.

Can you provide more info on your experience or why you think Kindle sucks for B2B?

One of the similar books has 37 Amazon reviews and is in the top 100,000 in books (supposedly means approximately 1 book sale/day). Steve Scott claims to make $20 - $60k/month in non-fiction business type Kindle books...

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Great input Dennis. I am indeed an expert on this topic.

Can you provide more info on your experience or why you think Kindle sucks for B2B?

One of the similar books has 37 Amazon reviews and is in the top 100,000 in books (supposedly means approximately 1 book sale/day). Steve Scott claims to make $20 - $60k/month in non-fiction business type Kindle books...

When I launched a single kindle book, I made $90 within 4 months. When that SAME book was launched independently for the same price, it made $250 in it's first week. Another book I launched independently made $2K/month starting with the first month. Yeah, there was a lot that went on behind the scenes, but in my eyes, doing things the way I mentioned above has the greatest potential for immediate profit.

Steve Scott has like 19 kindle titles out and they all tie-into the same demographic... so each book builds his reach and his traffic crossbuys. If you're looking to do many kindle-exclusive books... yes you can make a lot of money this way. But how he's successful and how you're likely to be successful are two different things.

My personal business compass and gut feeling says that publishing a single book on Kindle is an uphill battle... and that you'd see more immediate success elsewhere... and that returning to kindle later is a much better strategy.

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Dennis had a good reply.

But yeah, create an ebook, make an audio version of it so you can charge more (like $97) then make it into a course and maybe form a membership site.

I'm in the exact same process as you right now, but in the fitness niche.

Would be glad to exchange ideas with you as we make this thing happen.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
Awesome thread!
I'm doing this also - for my Ebook platform.
Mike Geary is the master of this (see the truth about six pack abs in the 4hwwk blog).
Just like Dennis and Charnell said, make a funnel and fine tune it.
Remember the book is only one part of your product palette.
Hit the street and make your business/product without the website and funnel, book etc.
Do it now even without all that, use your customer feedback to make the funnel work.
One single book on amazon is not a business model.
As a matter of fact, most guys with a business and complementary book don't even publish on amazon at all. They offer their book in their own website (funnel) as a .pdf.
Lots for all of us to learn here.
Please post frequently and in depth here, we want to learn along the way with you!

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
When I launched a single kindle book, I made $90 within 4 months. When that SAME book was launched independently for the same price, it made $250 in it's first week. Another book I launched independently made $2K/month starting with the first month. Yeah, there was a lot that went on behind the scenes, but in my eyes, doing things the way I mentioned above has the greatest potential for immediate profit.

Steve Scott has like 19 kindle titles out and they all tie-into the same demographic... so each book builds his reach and his traffic crossbuys. If you're looking to do many kindle-exclusive books... yes you can make a lot of money this way. But how he's successful and how you're likely to be successful are two different things.

My personal business compass and gut feeling says that publishing a single book on Kindle is an uphill battle... and that you'd see more immediate success elsewhere... and that returning to kindle later is a much better strategy.
Awesome feedback. Rep ++

truesouth

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 6, 2011
Patagonia, Chile
A book on Kindle just to position yourself as an authority is very effective. You should not expect to get rich with Kindle, period.

Then you can introduce your readers to your ebook, online course, monthly membership, services, etc. What you have to offer.

Humble man

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 21, 2015
In The Present
I would create/tailor an eBook just to leverage the huge following or huge email list of someone else that will promote it for you. Once you have done this a few times you will have your own list and that will be the easiest money you ever made when you announce that you created a new book with them in mind.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.