The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Launched my first ANDROID APP

DonaldDuck

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 20, 2013
I'm not so active in forums as I'm super busy right now just wanted to share my first app launch with you.

If you have any questions about app, process anything you can ask me.

About the APP:

featured.jpg

The WANT2 app allows you to offer and access transportation, cars, apartment rentals, and other services around you. No matter where you go, you can offer other people your services and find services that other people are offering to you.

EXAMPLE:

Jack is an English teacher currently traveling around Thailand without any set plans about where he will visit or how he will get around.

By using WANT2, he can find everything he needs, from a place to stay and a short-term car rental to a local guide to show him the best sights that can’t be found in any guidebook. In return, he can offer English lessons to locals and make some money while he is on vacation.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

As a WANT2 service user you are able to:

- Find cars, apartments, luxury rentals, transportation, jobs, services, events, entertainment, and other services near your current location.

- Make bookings and communicate with service providers via real time messages and in-app chat.

As a WANT2 service provider you are able to:

- Offer something great to people who are near you in your current city.
- Control your services; turn them on or off depending on your schedule.
- Receive messages from people who are interested in your services.
- Share your location in real time so anyone interested in your services can find you easily.
- Receive payments from clients. (Coming soon!)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sisyphus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Feb 4, 2015
Toronto
Hi

-did you make it yourself? outsource? or in a team?
-how long did it take you to make the app?
-any prior coding experience? if not, recommendations on coding courses online?

DonaldDuck

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 20, 2013
Hi

-did you make it yourself? outsource? or in a team?
-how long did it take you to make the app?
-any prior coding experience? if not, recommendations on coding courses online?

Hi,

- No not only myself, I have team of 4 people including myself. For one person it would be hard to develop app like this one.
- About 14 months. (We was working not full time of course.)
- All my team including myself have many years experience in developing software, we was learning how to code from 2005 so long time ago already.

Julio Andres

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Dec 9, 2014
Hi man, I downloaded your app and the first thing I see is that I'm forced to sign up in your system to see something, that is bad UX, as a feedback, you should let your users see the content without registering, you can deactivate some features to the "guest users".

Also, what is your plan with this? 14 months seems like a very long time to not have a plan.

anyway, props for taken action and shipping the product, it's always good to ship something.

Last edited:

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Your app look great. Why did you only create it for android?
Why not make it an IOS App to or only?

DonaldDuck

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 20, 2013
Hi man, I downloaded your app and the first thing I see is that I'm forced to sign up in your system to see something, that is bad UX, as a feedback, you should let your users see the content without registering, you can deactivate some features to the "guest users".

Also, what is your plan with this? 14 months seems like a very long time to not have a plan.

anyway, props for taken action and shipping the product, it's always good to ship something.

Hi,

Yes it is possible to do that app show some content without login/registration but this will be done later when we will have enough feedback from our users.

We have the plan and following it as we planned. :)

Right now the main problem we see is that it is hard to get people to put content to our app. So we need better strategy how to get people to start listing their stuff and services inside the app or use some kind of third party as content provider.

DonaldDuck

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 20, 2013
Are there some benefits on testing it with android or just personal preverance?

Creating iOS version right now would not solve the problem which we have right now. Any corrections in one platform is much more easy that in both Android and iOS so till we don't have all answers to our questions creating iOS version would be waste of money and time.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Creating iOS version right now would not solve the problem which we have right now. Any corrections in one platform is much more easy that in both Android and iOS so till we don't have all answers to our questions creating iOS version would be waste of money and time.

I agree that it wouldnt make sense to create a iOS App now, but why didnt you made your app for iOS from the beginning. Why did you choose android when you started?

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
What content do you have on now? Is it what you initially wanted to advertise. Example: you want the high end cars, but users aren't looking for them, or are posting lower end more widely used content?

Did you build it natively or are you going the PhoneGap or another solution like this route?

Do you utilize any other services like Yelp or Uber to incorporate more content?

DonaldDuck

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 20, 2013
I agree that it wouldnt make sense to create a iOS App now, but why didnt you made your app for iOS from the beginning. Why did you choose android when you started?

My team code in JAVA so it is easy to go with Android.

What content do you have on now? Is it what you initially wanted to advertise. Example: you want the high end cars, but users aren't looking for them, or are posting lower end more widely used content?

Did you build it natively or are you going the PhoneGap or another solution like this route?

Do you utilize any other services like Yelp or Uber to incorporate more content?

There is not much content right now as we still figuring our the best strategy to get the content. The main purpose of this app is that you can offer your services or products to users who are near you, you can put cars, houses, food etc... and people can message you if they want anything for example if you renting cars people can send you message and book the car so you can deliver the car directly to the user as there is the way to see where that user is right now.

We still implementing Braintree payments so after some time there will be the way to pay by credit card inside the app.

This is native app, PhoneGap is not the right solution for this kind of project.

Sure we will connect all these fancy API'is like UBER, YELP in near future to get additional content and revenue but right now we try to focus whats the most important.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.