The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So you want to move to Scottsdale?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Let's take the 4 States that have similar (though not identical) weather.

Arizona: Cheap, sunny all the time, red state (business friendly), many members already live there so there is a built in network.
California: Beautiful weather, expensive expensive expensive
Texas: Similar to Arizona, and many people from here live around the state as well. Reasonably inexpensive housing options in many places
Florida: Very humid, though nice weather. Hurricanes. Old people.

You ultimately live where you want, for reasons that you find important. If I was America, I'd probably do summers in NYC and winters in Scottsdale.

Just my thoughts on it.

LOL/ Spoken like a true Canadian.

If I were to break down the same four states, I would do it like this :

Arizona. Beautiful desert. Hotter than shit for 90 days a year. Awesome the rest of the year, and laughing at the Midwestern states mid-winter. Developed areas are awesome, remote areas are barren. No water.

California. High density, off the chart taxes. Impossible to buy land. Good weather. Ocean.

Texas. Southern charm. North texas (even Dallas) is too cold to truly escape winter. No state income tax. Rednecks. Minimal water access.

Florida. Melting pot. High humidity. Florida keys are tropical, like Hawaii without the plane ride. Zero state income tax, as tourists generate most of the state income through sales taxes on tourist haunts. Ocean on both sides.

There's snowbirds in Florida and Arizona in certain pockets. Every state in the nation has Fast Laners if you know where to look for them.

Ultimately, once we cash out we will spend even more time than we do now on Maui. However, that's not a place for light pockets. I would only recommend moving to Hawaii (or at least extended stays) when you have enough money that you don't have to worry about it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is a very common misconception, @Vigilante has spoken on it many times. Moving there does not gain you a network, it just happens to be a higher concentration of people linked on this forum. You still have to put in the work to build the relationships and trust of people. It is not a selling point or a given to moving to Scottsdale.

You are totally right. There's no club there. There actually have been forum members that have moved there expecting to get their club membership, only to discover that everyone doesn't hang out at MJ's house on Sunday nights. There are some legendary stories of relocations gone bad.

However, I have stopped doing that lately, as some of the myth or perception is being perpetuated by people that now live in Scottsdale. People might be disappointed if they move there (or anywhere) thinking their one way ticket buys them friends.

So... what ever. You can find camaraderie and Fast Lane where ever you are.

There is a concentration of wealth though in the Scottsdale area, that's for sure.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
The Florida Keys are simply amazing and gorgeous. Spent three months there once. One can run up to Miami when you need a taste of city life. Worked on my tan, worked out,swam, snorkeled, and dove constantly.

Anyone that would consider moving to a place with four seasons? Colorado?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The Florida Keys are simply amazing and gorgeous. Spent three months there once. One can run up to Miami when you need a taste of city life. Worked on my tan, worked out,swam, snorkeled, and dove constantly.

I think most places have four seasons, just with less drama. I for one will be happy to only see a snowflake on television, or Facebook. Some people like the snow. Some like the mountains. Some like the desert.

I am called to the ocean, and when not at the ocean to the finish line. By the way, for horse racing fans, Turf Paradise in Phoenix is amongst the best places in the country to watch your money slowly bleed out.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I think most places have four seasons, just with less drama. I for one will be happy to only see a snowflake on television, or Facebook. Some people like the snow. Some like the mountains. Some like the desert.

I am called to the ocean, and when not at the ocean to the finish line. By the way, for horse racing fans, Turf Paradise in Phoenix is amongst the best places in the country to watch your money slowly bleed out.
Given what you posted earlier about your front yard, I can totally understand about the snow being a 'virtual' thing for y'all.

As for us...as a children of first Texas and then California (me, for a while), we both grew up with "winter" being an 'eh' thing. Then we moved to the East Coast and experienced four glorious seasons, and that seemed to fit us just fine. Since we've been back in Texas we've really missed four distinct seasons.

That being said, when it really comes down to it, we love snow (for a bit, and on our terms) and love the ocean. I think that we're eventually going to go the migratory route where we rotate places throughout the year.....

In the meantime, we're seriously considering leaving Texas right now. I mean, seriously. AZ is right out though. ;)

Last edited:

OperationMyWay

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Nov 26, 2013

The Denver area has been a place I have kicked around in my mind on many occasions as a place to live. I love to hike, ski, and the views. I visit there at least twice a year normally. Just has a certain positive energy to it. There are tons of cultural things to do there as well. I am far from an expert on that place, but I do love that place and want at the very least have a vacation condo there in the future.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Lots of weirdos in Austin.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
G

Guest24480

Also, quick question. Is it necessary to have a car living in this area? Car insurance is hefty at my age, not to mention the maintenance costs, etc.

I do want to enjoy the nightlife at least once a week (you have to live it up at least a little bit when you're young, right?). Would not having a car be a major problem or is there a sufficient public transportation system in place? Thanks.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Also, quick question. Is it necessary to have a car living in this area? Car insurance is hefty at my age, not to mention the maintenance costs, etc.

I do want to enjoy the nightlife at least once a week (you have to live it up at least a little bit when you're young, right?). Would not having a car be a major problem or is there a sufficient public transportation system in place? Thanks.

I am not young enough to answer this, but I assume as long as your bike has some good pegs, chicks wouldn't mind.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Shame that AZ is judged on just the Phoenix area. Theres way more to it then desert.

FL is jam packed. Even somewhere like Miami beach is mostly a ghetto. Think the Tampa/Clearwater area is nice. some of my issues are that you might as well live in the Amazon rain forest. The amount and variety of critters is crazy. It will storm once a day. And I dont like how far you have to travel to see anything different. If you are just a beach nut then I guess it works. But its a long drive to see any kind of different terrain.

A 1.5 hour drive in AZ can be the difference between a desert and being high in the pine forests. And you arent far fron San Diego.

As for no income tax. You will always get hit somewhere else in states with no income tax. In FL its high insurance rates for one.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Shame that AZ is judged on just the Phoenix area. Theres way more to it then desert.

FL is jam packed. Even somewhere like Miami beach is mostly a ghetto. Think the Tampa/Clearwater area is nice. some of my issues are that you might as well live in the Amazon rain forest. The amount and variety of critters is crazy. It will storm once a day. And I dont like how far you have to travel to see anything different. If you are just a beach nut then I guess it works. But its a long drive to see any kind of different terrain.

A 1.5 hour drive in AZ can be the difference between a desert and being high in the pine forests. And you arent far fron San Diego.

As for no income tax. You will always get hit somewhere else in states with no income tax. In FL its high insurance rates for one.

Florida's economy is simple. Tourists pay the State revenue. They have a fat surplus right now, and no state personal income tax.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Given what you posted earlier about your front yard, I can totally understand about the snow being a 'virtual' thing for y'all.

As for us...as a children of first Texas and then California (me, for a while), we both grew up with "winter" being an 'eh' thing. Then we moved to the East Coast and experienced four glorious seasons, and that seemed to fit us just fine. Since we've been back in Texas we've really missed four distinct seasons.

That being said, when it really comes down to it, we love snow (for a bit, and on our terms) and love the ocean. I think that we're eventually going to go the migratory route where we rotate places throughout the year.....

In the meantime, we're seriously considering leaving Texas right now. I mean, seriously. AZ is right out though. ;)

From an east coaster, This always comes up, as if winter is just snow days. The snow is great, its the other 4 months of bitter a$$ cold that sucks the life out of you for no reason.

I'd be good with three seasons and traveling to see the 4th!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea whether it is to sail or to watch it we are going back from whence we came.
~John F. Kennedy

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Yea, I feel like with the pictures JasonR and TheTruth posted I would expect to have a beach on the other side of the complex or something. It looks to have the beach feel except without the beach. It would take me awhile to get used to that.

There is nothing better than the smell of the ocean. The sounds the seagulls make. The relaxation the sound of the waves crashing gives you..

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Edit: Looks like my INSIDERS subscription expired.

Edit 2: oops put edit 1 in wrong place. lol

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
This X10000.

When I roomed with @JasonR and @AndrewNC we actually had people hit us up to "move into our closet".

We didn't even know these people, in fact we had never talked to them before.

They wanted to "take the ultimate risk" and move into an environment that would accelerate their growth.

We actually found this a bit insulting for multiple reasons:

- They provided 0 value (they wanted to be in a great environment without working for it)
- They didn't even take the time to get to know us
- They had no idea that we built our relationship over 7 months of masterminding (and at that point it was actually very very hard for us to consider anyone into that mastermind - first, because there were 4 of us already and 2nd because we had a great vibe and intensity we didn't want to risk loosing out on)
- They didn't pay out of their pocket to come to one of the meetups (all of us who lived together and masterminded where at that years BnP meetup - so we met face to face before any decisions were made) - or to just come visit and see how we were actually operating.

Anyway, nothing is given and everything is earned.

When we did this last year, we only did it because WE felt like it was the right thing for us. No network infiltration was part of the plan. The environment and setup was specifically for our goals.

Networking, making friends, sharing ideas etc... only came after the fact.

Just like the rule of "don't chase money because it will always evade you", the same can be said about almost anything "don't chase a network because IT will evade you".

You are totally right. There's no club there. There actually have been forum members that have moved there expecting to get their club membership, only to discover that everyone doesn't hang out at MJ's house on Sunday nights. There are some legendary stories of relocations gone bad.

However, I have stopped doing that lately, as some of the myth or perception is being perpetuated by people that now live in Scottsdale. People might be disappointed if they move there (or anywhere) thinking their one way ticket buys them friends.

So... what ever. You can find camaraderie and Fast Lane where ever you are.

There is a concentration of wealth though in the Scottsdale area, that's for sure.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
This X10000.

When I roomed with @JasonR and @AndrewNC we actually had people hit us up to "move into our closet".

They wanted to "take the ultimate risk" and move into an environment that would accelerate their growth.

Solid post.

So @TheTruth - What's it gonna take to get you back here? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This X10000.

We actually found this a bit insulting for multiple reasons:

- They provided 0 value (they wanted to be in a great environment without working for it)
- They didn't even take the time to get to know us
- They had no idea that we built our relationship over 7 months of masterminding (and at that point it was actually very very hard for us to consider anyone into that mastermind - first, because there were 4 of us already and 2nd because we had a great vibe and intensity we didn't want to risk loosing out on)
- They didn't pay out of their pocket to come to one of the meetups (all of us who lived together and masterminded where at that years BnP meetup - so we met face to face before any decisions were made) - or to just come visit and see how we were actually operating.

Anyway, nothing is given and everything is earned.

When we did this last year, we only did it because WE felt like it was the right thing for us. No network infiltration was part of the plan. The environment and setup was specifically for our goals.

Networking, making friends, sharing ideas etc... only came after the fact.

Just like the rule of "don't chase money because it will always evade you", the same can be said about almost anything "don't chase a network because IT will evade you".
Yeah, I've been trying to evade you for years, TAKE A HINT!

LOVE YOU BOOBOO

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I don't expect to make friends just because I'm planning to move there. I feel like that's a totally extraneous reason for wanting to be there.

My reasons are:

1. Sunshine
2. Basically SoCal without the water
3. SoCal (and the beach) is about 5 hour drive away
4. Red state (as stated before)
5. Much more developed/modern area than most of the eastern states
6. Other rich people live there (what other motivation do you need?!?!)
7. In N Out :D

Now, IF by some extenuating situation I happen to network along the way and become acquainted/meet anyone from this forum or otherwise, that's just a bonus. But that's definitely not my intent. I wanna move there because I feel like the environment, irregardless of this forum, would be very beneficial to me.

:cool:

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
If only there were beaches in Arizona :(

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013
It's hard to leave my Canadian stomping ground...

okanagan.jpg

urbanization39131.jpg

Can I just migrate there for the fall/winter? :D

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Me wanting to move to AZ or maybe even TX is because, I've lived on the East Coast for my whole life. I have never been to the West Coast. So just being able to experience a new environment and atmosphere seems very enjoyable and interesting. Have other successful entrepreneurs is nice also, but that's not even the main selling point or hardly even part of it. Just looking at some of the pictures that have been posted on this thread makes me feel like it would be a enjoyable place to live. Also considering all the stories of seeing exotic cars quite a bit, I don't have that here where I live. Seems like an awesome motivation factor.

One memory I will never forget was coming on to the interstate in or from Houston, TX (forgot), was seeing a Lamborghini shop. I felt very enthralled and optimistic at that moment and said "one day I'm going to own one of those". I was just way to excited, I need that feeling of optimism again. Living in a environment where your intuition is telling you, your meant to be somewhere else is difficult for me do what I want.

I know in this current state of mind I have, if I move right now, know where I go is going to satisfy me. So I'm going to be very consistent in my actions to the day I decide to move, so I transition well and immediately get to work.

Everything I'm hearing about AZ seems like a place I would like to move to and possibly live. But, like MJ stated before in this thread, to visit in mid-August to get the feel of the weather; I'm defiantly going to be doing that. The weather seems awesome, but the heat is the only thing I'm worried about haha. Having the full experience of 4 seasons here in VA is nice, so living in AZ is going to be a very different feel, going to get sometime getting used to, that's if I decide to live there.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007