The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I just had the most awkward, terrible interview in HISTORY

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys, thought I'd share a funny (incredibly awkward) experience that just happened to me.

So the founder of the startup I was working with last Summer (I gave them the pseudonym 'SmartChair') that I detailed in my progress thread, "Learning Marketing in the Trenches," emailed me randomly last week. We'll call him, "Bill." "Hey Testament" Bill started off, very casually announcing that SmartChair was looking for a social media manager/content creator for the company. Since I had gotten SmartChair so much blog attention when I was working with them last Summer, he said that I came to mind immediately. The email finished up by letting me know that if I was interested, he'd like to chat with me about it.

"Hmmm," I thought to myself. "I've never actually done any social media managing before. I'm not sure if I'd be the right fit. But then again, I'd never done any PR or marketing before I started working with them, and I hit that one out of the park - so maybe I should try it and find out. After all, what's there to lose? Besides, Bill is a cool guy - I'm sure he's aware of my inexperience in general. After all, why on earth would I have spent so much time promoting SmartChair completely for free if I were a super baller tech hotshot? And this will be a great way to get even deeper into the startup culture and learn from some awesome entrepreneurs!"

So with a bit of cautious optimism, I responded back that I'd be interested in talking to him about it.

A day later, Bill responded that he was glad I was interested and suggested a skype chat of 3 today for the casual, friendly chat. He seemed to have added 5 more people into our email, who all said they'd be available at 3. People I'd never seen before...so I was a bit confused. Was this supposed to be a group chat about SmartChair? Hm... I wondered, naively drumming my fingers against the top of my head in deep thought. A sudden flash of concern caught me. "I really hope this isn't some 5-on-1 group interview specifically focused on me." I didn't think so though - I mean, as I'd already thought about, Bill knew what it was like to work with me (if only remotely) and what my work ethic was like and lack of experience. I'm probably worrying over nothing!

Somewhere in the nethers of space and time, I'd like to think God/The Universe/The Force (take your pick) gave a soft, pity-filled chuckle for me at that exact moment.

Flash forward to about two hours ago. Just as I was about to go on the chat, my mentor stopped by. I talked with him for a minute about what was up, and he let me know what he thought of the situation.

Mentor: "Oh man, Testament. You should've prepared more."

Testament: "You think so? I mean, it's not a huge issue right? I mean, I want to be honest that I don't know much about social media management. I don't even really want the job that much, I don't care that much if it works out or not. Learning experience, right?"

Mentor: "NO TESTAMENT! This is your reputation! If you interview badly, any time anyone asks them about you, they're going to tell that person exactly what they think, which won't be glowing with positivity. It's super bad."

Testmanet: "Oh...really? Uh..."

Mentor: "Cancel it. Reschedule and I'll help go over some of this stuff with you. You need to prepare. When is it?"

Testament: "Uhh...it's right now."

Mentor: "...I see. Well, in that case, just go on with them and try to wing it. Also, don't mention any of the companies you've been working for with me." (mentor no longer worked with them, they each left on...not the greatest of terms)

Testament: "...Eep."

My cautious optimism had been fully replaced by a sinking feeling of dread. So I go on with the Skype video interview, and I'm immediately greeted by 5 stern faces. I greet them all as well, and then the realization hit me - this WAS a full on interview focused on me. D'oh!

The questions of doom began.

Bill: "So, Testament, tell me what your general background is in this field and what exactly you would contribute to us."

Testament: "Uh...welll....uh...."

*Awkward silence*

I spent a few minutes just now writing out the transcript of the conversation, but you can infer everything that happened from that snippet. I didn't have any background I could talk about! I thought he must've had SOME idea that was the case! But no, he was clearly expecting me to have had some sort of long and accomplished past to regale them with heroic tales of. I completely choked.

Bill and the others kept asking me open ended and TOUGH interview questions that I totally wasn't expecting. I watched as Bill's face in the interview turned - from sternness to a look of full shock and, what I could only describe as intense, seething anger - very quickly, and basically stayed that way for the rest of the 10 minutes of ungodly awkwardness.

In record time it had changed to the exact look someone would have if you'd just called them a colorful racial slur in the middle of a casual conversation.

At one point, one of the other guys stepped in and really softened up the questions and asked me what I like to do in my spare time, and what really motivates me.

Now, I've been pretty much 100% immersed in all things Fastlane related since I read MJ's book and joined the forum about a year and a half ago. But for some reason, my mind just pulled a complete blank. I couldn't think of anything other than the awkward silence, with everyone staring at me as the "Uhhh..." came out of my throat...and the ever furrowing brows on Bill's face.

Testament: "Uhhh...well...y'know...music's...music's...uhh, cool."

Other Interviewer: "Music....?"

Testament: "Yeah. You know."

*Even more awkward silence*

Testament: "Y-...y'know...?

Other Interview: "...Uhm...yes. Yes. Well, what exactly about...'music,' is it that you like?"

Testament: "Playing it...is cool."

OI: "...I...see."

It was about this time, my stupid, stupid brain tried to throw in some corporate lingo to give me an air of credibility.

Testament: "You see...uh, it gives me...creative flexibility...you know...which...which is SUPER important in this, sphere. The...target demographic, that we're going for...you know, you have to be able to write to that...customer avatar! Yes. Yes it helps me with that, certainly. Yes."

I wish I could say that there was some sort of rock bottom of awkwardness that was eventually hit, where it didn't go any lower. Unfortuantely, that never happened - it just kept getting more uncomfortable. I would say to a ludicrous degree, but maybe that's just me.

At last, we said our goodbyes and it was over. I felt a weird mix of elation and embarrassment. All I could think was, "Man, this is at some point going to be hilarious."

And hopefully it is! Although I'm still reeling a bit over the general awfulness of it...(and the fact that I said I'd follow-up and send them samples of my non-existent professional copywriting work :p)

Anyhow, at this point in the post, I'd like to share in the awkward love of my fellow Fastlaners. And lets extend it to any sort of business situation, not just interviews!

Have you guys ever had an awkward business situation that tops mine? :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There's an interesting dynamic that happens in group interviews of two people or more. They all feel like they need to one up each other and ask the more on the spot question. It's never a good scenario, and would be made even more awkward over videoconference. Many times, employees use group interviews to show the boss how superior they are to the person they are interviewing. It's like a huge game of gotcha.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Haha that's great. This for sure will be something hilarious to look back at.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I did consulting work for Amazon in the peak of their hiring frenzy. I would tagteam interview people with at least one other executive on behalf of Amazon… And I would sit and scare the shit out of the people that wanted to come to work for Amazon. The thought process was that anybody in that made it through that gauntlet and still wanted the job was probably hireable.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
There's an interesting dynamic that happens in group interviews of two people or more. They all feel like they need to one up each other and ask the more on the spot question. It's never a good scenario, and would be made even more awkward over videoconference. Many times, employees use group interviews to show the boss how superior they are to the person they are interviewing. It's like a huge game of gotcha.

I applied for a job that I had no business applying for. I got past the first interview of 5 people to be greeted by 9 on the follow on interview. The chair they had me sit in was broken, so I kept interrupting them and trying to fix it. Finally I stood up and swapped out chairs. They offered me the job (not on the spot) I later learned that my supervisor-to-be was impressed with my willingness to put them on hold until the chair situation was fixed.

Personally I think I got the job because I didn't give a shit if I got it or not. I was floored when they called me for the second interview. So my advice to anyone nervous about an interview is to just relax and pretend like you belong there. That being said, I guarantee I would bomb a skype video interview.

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Haha, thanks for all the great replies guys!

Yeah I was thinking about it more and more, and I'm actually kind of pissed now. Like, (with the help of some of our awesome AWESOME fellow forum members) I scored them press in almost 20 blogs that were Alexa rank 10k and lower, and a few more on top of that, when they had no connections and only about 5 writeups before that. And I worked for free because I just wanted to learn a fastlane skill.

Then they get pissy that I don't fit their preconceived notion of what my background should be? Sorry but those guys can *EXPLETIVE DELETED* themselves.

It's funny, I guess I was spoiled by the amazing value-giving mindsets of everyone on this board, but I've found the reality of entrepreneur-circles (in Silicon Valley at least) so far to be...well, not exactly what I would've hoped for.

A bit off topic (is it okay to derail my own thread? :) ), but anyone ever read Winning Through Intimidation? Starting to notice a lot of "type 3"'s out here.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Not sure why your mentor would think it was a good idea to instill fear in you like that.

It seems to me that in an interview it's all about how you're feeling. I think it would've gone better if you'd been in your chill state like you were before.

Funny story though man... I like how you wrote it.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I would try and do some fire fighting if you think this will hurt you long term.

I would pen Bill an email expressing your concern at his blind-siding you like that. After all you work by strategy and planning not instant off the cuff remarks in a high-jacked interview situation. If you had known you were going to be grilled by 5 people in a full on interview you would have prepared for such an event.

At the end of the day it is results that count and your results speak volumes.

I also think your mentor didn't do you any favours but if he didn't know you were just about to go live then it was not his fault as he was bang on the money. Would have been better if you had pulled the plug and feigned hardware issues and rescheduled but that is easy to say in hindsight.

Great learning experience though, thanks for sharing.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Then they get pissy that I don't fit their preconceived notion of what my background should be? Sorry but those guys can *EXPLETIVE DELETED* themselves.

With that attitude you would have probably aced the interview.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
It's all a learning experience. I had 8 interviews with Google a few years back, that was intense and stressful. I've also been to interviews where I didn't know anything just for shits and got flamed like you did, but held up...I actually got a couple jobs because I knew how to talk based on all the experience I had with interviews. Glad you went in for it because you never know...you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. You learn and move on.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Haha I had a failure like this with a recent Skype interview.

Got caught off guard with a live demonstration request. Mind went totally blank.

Ended up telling him I froze, then turned the situation into an opportunity by explaining I'm not as articulate in person as in writing, (which is what he was hiring me for) and offered a free custom sample if he was open to it.

Not sure if it worked, but it definitely made an impression, and I know he hasn't chosen anyone else yet.

In most Skype interviews I shift the balance of power with confidence.

I remind myself that they aren't interviewing me.

We are interviewing each other.

And that means I am interviewing them.

Which means I have just as much power as they do.

But you gotta be prepared to be a shark instead of a guppy to do that.

Also you have to understand that power & money aren't the same thing.

P.S. I'd be pissed if 5 came at me at once without warning lol!

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I scored them press in almost 20 blogs that were Alexa rank 10k and lower, and a few more on top of that, when they had no connections and only about 5 writeups before that. And I worked for free because I just wanted to learn a fastlane skill.

For future reference, this would have been the perfect answer to all of their questions.

Bill sounds like a dick for handling things this way. I'd probably reply-all and tell him so (tactfully) while mentioning specifically how much you helped him in the past (whatever you should have said in the interview but couldn't quite get out).

For random interview advice, always expect there to be multiple people, and always expect at least one of them to be hostile. I know it can be stressful, but don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. Sometimes they'll do things to intentionally rattle you to see how you handle stress and unexpected circumstances.

Also, don't forget that you're the expert (even though it may not feel like it). You're getting interviewed to do something that the interviewers can't (or won't) do, so don't be afraid to take a little control tactfully educate them a bit. Even if the interviewer has done your job before (not likely in the case of a social media manager), it'll still look way better than just being constantly in response mode. As an examples of how that might look:

"Ok, so let me walk you through the method that I used to get Bill all this awesome traffic when his site was new and shitty! etc. etc."

Last edited:

lclements90

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 25, 2015
Haha, thanks for all the great replies guys!

Yeah I was thinking about it more and more, and I'm actually kind of pissed now. Like, (with the help of some of our awesome AWESOME fellow forum members) I scored them press in almost 20 blogs that were Alexa rank 10k and lower, and a few more on top of that, when they had no connections and only about 5 writeups before that. And I worked for free because I just wanted to learn a fastlane skill.

It's funny, I guess I was spoiled by the amazing value-giving mindsets of everyone on this board, but I've found the reality of entrepreneur-circles (in Silicon Valley at least) so far to be...well, not exactly what I would've hoped for.

A bit off topic (is it okay to derail my own thread? :) ), but anyone ever read Winning Through Intimidation? Starting to notice a lot of "type 3"'s out here.
Testament Testament Testament.... What you just described in this bit here would have been an excellent starting point. As you've already mentioned, you have created value for yourself, by creating value for them. You could have been honest about your limited experience, while also showing what you have accomplished despite it.

On to the next lesson. Keep your chin up.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
That was actually really good experience for you.

You need to learn how to handle those sniper attacks better. Helps in more situations than just a job (i.e. selling your company, negotiating deals for your own company, etc...)

You need to learn how to take control.

Group Skype video chat connects...

Bill: "So, Testament, tell me what your general background is in this field and what exactly you would contribute to us."

Testament: Hi Bill, from our communication it sounded like this was going to be a quick chat about your needs, the role you had in mind and based on that, if it's something I'd be interested in tackling. Apologies if I misunderstood. At this point, I'd need to have that discussion first before moving forward with a group interview. Shall we let everyone else drop off and just have you and I continue?

If he/they push back and demand a full interview right now I'd push back even harder and get off the call as quick as possible with something like:

"Sorry guys, I don't even fully know what were are talking about here so I'm not even sure this is something I'd like to move forward with. I'd need to get to that point first before continuing. Bill, lets sync up over email. I don't want to waste anyones time here."

In other words, you're saying, "Bill, F*ck you. You drop the ball and didn't communicate what this was going to be and I'm not willing to participate in it. If you have any real interest in my involvement you'll back off right now and fix this with me over email. Otherwise, F*ck off I'm not interested. kthxbye."

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Hey thanks for all the support and advice, guys. One of the many reasons I really love this place. :) It really does help me put everything into perspective and maintain a learners mindset.

@MikeC : Thanks man! I try to add humor to my pain as soon as possible - it helps me find it funnier faster. Something I always ask myself after a situation that really upsets me is, "What's funny about this that I haven't noticed yet?" Got that from Tony Robbins and I've always found it to be really helpful in discovering the hidden humor in an otherwise tense experience.

Haha, but yeah my mentor didn't realize that I was just about to go on the call with SmartChair, I don't think (hope at least) he would've done that if he'd known.

@RazorCut : Hey Razor! I'm not actually sure how much this will hurt me long-term. The thing I'm thinking is that it's going to be the loss of a reference for the future, but I don't know if that would've panned out well either way. What I'm planning to do now (not sure if this is the best idea or not), is to just not reply to him. If he pings me about the copywriting work I said I'd send over (which I don't have), then I think I'll respond with that explanation. Thanks a ton for that perspective, man. :)

@biophase : Hey Bio. I can see how my reply last night might read like I'm coming off as an entitled so-and-so, but I wasn't basing it on just me not being able to do the interview well or getting blind-sided.

I mean, obviously it was a miscommunication that we're both ultimately to blame for - he could've specifically said he was setting me up for a group interview instead of "Let's chat if you're interested," and I could've responded back, "What exactly did you want to discuss, just so I can be prepared?" instead of assuming it would be casual. :hungover:

What had upset me was (ironically) how upset Bill was getting.

When I said that his expression was one of intense anger, I am not exaggerating.

He had this look of straight-up rage, like I had just punched his infant son in the mouth. I felt this was a totally uncalled for reaction to my - admittedly very very bad - interviewing. I didn't mention it in the post, but one of the other things that really set me off that I was thinking about later was that, as the interview went on and I kept giving the kind of lame answers I scribed in the OP, he literally started saying stuff like, "Oh...WOW." in a completely sarcastic tone.

In short, he was being a huge *insert your favorite choice word*.

The only thing I can think of that might've compelled him to act like that, was that maybe he really talked me up to the members of his team that I hadn't met yet, based on my previous performance. When I was interviewing poorly, maybe he felt embarrassed and his ego was hurt?

Who knows.

So yes, I did take umbrage with the fact that he chose to behave that way, considering that I've done nothing but contribute value to his startup (while asking for nothing in return).

I'd totally understand the whole thing if I was the one who'd approached him about giving me a job I was unqualified for, but he put the email in my inbox.

I tried to find a photo of his expression for reference, so here's a pretty darn close replica of the way his face looked each time I set my eyes on the screen...after the first 30 seconds and on to the end of it 10 minutes later:

IETIrd

Yes, he really held that expression for 10 minutes straight. Except pretty much every time I answered a question, it would breifly shift to this one for a few seconds (and I want to stress that I am not exaggerating - this is pretty much what he looked like):

stock-photo-a-very-angry-man-is-looking-straight-in-the-camera-picture-is-made-in-a-high-contrast-effekt-125281880.jpg

@ddzc : Thanks for the encouragement, and sharing your experience. At this point, I've learned a lesson if nothing else, and I think it'll probably be an important one for me in the long-run.

@SinisterLex : Haha, that's hilarious man! It's funny because he actually asked me to give a demonstration of my knowledge, but I just froze up until they changed the question...lol. It'll be a great day when I'm able to turn it around like you did. :)

And thank you for sharing that great mindset, too. I'll have to remember that - I'm interviewing them as well.

@splok : Thanks a lot for the post my friend, it really genuinely helps a lot. At the end of the interview, I started to do that (take control and tactfully educate), but by that point I think it was too far gone. Heh, I kept looking at Bill mean-mugging me and losing my train of thought. I had to look away from the screen entirely after a while. :hilarious:

@Weaponize : Wow! That's fantastic, Weaponize! I was actually thinking maybe I should've done something like that off the bat, but wasn't sure if it would've been proper. Thanks for writing that out for me man. Next time I'll know exactly how to handle this situ. :cool:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
@Weaponize : Wow! That's fantastic, Weaponize! I was actually thinking maybe I should've done something like that off the bat, but wasn't sure if it would've been proper. Thanks for writing that out for me man. Next time I'll know exactly how to handle this situ. :cool:
he's spot on, because you have to remember when you're interviewing or being interviewed: what kind of value are they giving me? If they're going to be like that then it's not a place where you'd probably even want to work at.

mars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 19, 2014
New Jersey
Ha! I was dying reading this. I once had a interview with a rep in office and one on the phone. It was strange, because I knew the person on the phone was from the corporate office and had more pull. I pretty much only payed attention to the lady on the phone and forgot the lady was sitting right in front of me. I looked down at her note pad and she was drawing flowers. I was sure I didn't get the job, but they called me back the next day and offered me the position. Turned out to be a great learning job.

@Testament can you share what you did to get the company featured with the bloggers?

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014

Your welcome! These sniper attacks are all too common in way too many different business situations (not just for jobs). I've personally stumbled through them like a complete idiot so many times in the past that I've now learned how to pick up on this quick and push back hard if need be.

Just keep in mind... most times people don't realize that they've simply not communicated what's in their heads to you. It's a simple mistake so give them the benefit of the doubt when pushing back by being polite, considerate, no accusatory and leaving it open ended so the other party may fix it if they desire to do so.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Mentor: "Oh man, Testament. You should've prepared more."

Mentor: "NO TESTAMENT! This is your reputation! If you interview badly, any time anyone asks them about you, they're going to tell that person exactly what they think, which won't be glowing with positivity. It's super bad."

I don't know your mentor personally...but from these pieces of advice.. I'd recommend he also get a mentor.

This is REDICULOUS.
Lol, first to implant an idea that you're unprepared, take away a guys state before going into a
Sales call (which is basically what this was, you selling yourself) is the WORST thing you can do as a Sales Manager.
Besides maybe just kicking him in the nuts.

And what.... You can never bomb a sales call/Interview?
Are you serious?

ok... Story time.

When I first started in Sales, it was with a door-to-door company.

If you ever want to see a display of just RELENTLESS work ethic, balls of METAL, sickening self-confidence,
go to a medium sized door-to-door company and ask to see the top salesman there.

GUA-ran-tee it.

In my company there was one... I'll call him Steve.
Guy was literally magic when it came to talking to people...

Once time while training under him,

I witnessed this man approach a door, completely cold
where the customer had to no idea he was coming,
They were in the middle of something, and actually expressed disinterest initially.

But after 15 mins, SOMEHOW, with his sheer charm and skill

Guy had closed a $6000 deal,
Gotten 2 referrals coming over, The customers 2 sisters,
and was sitting there talking over wine,
while customers wife cooked them up a steak dinner!

To someone watching,
It literally looked like magic.

After the meeting, I asked him "Dude, how the F*ck did you do that?"

Guy just looks straight for minute,
Smiles, an turns to me and says, "All I had to do was bomb 2,000 other sales meetings."
Damn.

He started of as a shaky, awkward kid.
Actually almost got fired like 6 times, apparently they were on 100%
commission so his manager said F*ck it, not costing me anything to keep him here.

He kept trying until he knew every response, every rebuttal,
every possibly detail about human communication.

Eventually he became a beast.

Lesson: No such thing as Failiure only feedback.
The more feedback you get the better you get. So bomb more, and you'll be better.

Next interview you'll know what not to do.
Bomb 50 interviews, eventually you'll get so good it'll be HARD to bomb more.

As for reputation.... Lol nobody gives a F*ck.
Nobody is losing sleep over you. They are too worried about themselves.

btw...there are 7 BILLION people on this earth. So what if 5 don't like you.

Hope I conveyed these lessons as profoundly as they were taught to me :)

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
The first job I got out of college I was too sick to care during the interview. The next job I got (my current job), I was annoyed that nobody had hired me so I went into the interview with a "who gives a shit" attitude and got hired. I think not caring relaxes you to the point that no question is too difficult. I'm not sure how I'd handle a Skype interview either though.

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Great stuff guys! Thanks so much for sharing your words/stories!

@mars : I sure can, and have! Check out my progress thread here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/learning-marketing-in-the-trenches.53706/

When I was writing it, I tried to focus every post I made on providing value in some way and trying to clearly convey the exact process that I was learning and how I was doing things, as well as providing resources to the helpful articles I was tracking down. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it.

And that's a standing offer for anyone else too. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.