The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

7 steps to escape the sidewalk

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
So I was talking to my friend the other night about business and got talking about the sales process within car dealerships.

Let's back up just a second to give you a little insight to who I was talking to:
35 year old male, car dealership manager, has the highest performing dealership in the group, earns £120k a year, never reads, watches mindless TV, spends all his money on stuff to impress and is a total sidewalk.. Though, a very nice gent indeed.

So I was asking him questions on how he was the top performing dealership in the group.
He told me, he just keeps to the same sales process, never lets any customer walk out until he is sure they're not going to buy; and sells used cars competitively and many in depth processes
He also referred to many management processes too, that are key to his success.

So, being an ideas guy, I had a lightbulb moment.
I gave him an executable plan; and I'd even help him.

These are my 7 steps (for him)

1. Over the next 6 months, write down notes on the system, process & philosophy (a page a day). Easy, right?

2. With these notes, I'll help structure a framework for the course then we'll send it off to be proof read (because I'm dyslexic) and tidied up into a course.

3. Approach the group Director and ask him if he could work with the lowest performing dealership on his day off; and implement his system & management strategy.

4. Over the next few months, work with the lowest performing dealership to increase their rank within the league table.(internal)
New, used & service.

5. Once they have improved, approach the directors again and offer the service across the whole group.
36 sites and 1.5k per month per site (in terms of cost its not even anywhere near their advertising budget per site)

6. Contact other dealerships, groups and manufacturers and expand, employ consultants to train.
Whilst doing that, simplify the sales process so it can be expanded to all other industries.

7. Make an online course, expand and montise that.
(I know very vague)

8. Read the TMF book ( though this should be number 1 but can't be bothered to re-type the numbers)

So immediately after pitching for at least 30 minutes, I could see his brain ticking .. And sat in silence going
Hmm ... Mmm .. Hmm
Then I was met with a barage of excuses.
"But it's risky"
"Oh, I don't think I'm capable"
"I'm just going to get promoted within the group"
"I'd love to do it but I've never done anything like that"
After spending a further 10 minutes closing all those open doors of excuses, I left it with him overnight.

Next day
I said
"So, you thought anymore about it"
He said
"Yeah, I've got a pension and I just want to stick with the group and get promoted"
I was like
"What, and trade all of your time, the only commodity you don't get back?"
Then he said
"Yeah, sure"

I was shocked, suprised and a little pissed off that for a strong minded guy with a serious amount of intelligence cannot grasp a simple idea.
I begged him to read the book but he said he's not into reading.
I guess you can take a horse to water.

On reflection, I think it was my fault for expecting him to understand right off the bat. Though, still frustrating.

Anyway, every cloud.
He is going to right notes over the next 6 months, then give them all to me :)
I'll spruce it up, Design a framework to the course and sell it online.
(Obviously I'll have it all proof read)
He'll get a royalty from the sales.

I guess not everyone can be converted

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.