The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

After you've achieved the "success" you dreamed, whats next?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
You've got the house you dreamed of, the cars, partner, enough money and hence the freedom you desired, you're fit and healthy, life is good. But what comes next? How do you spend each day?

Not so long ago i came to sudden realization that a lot of successful entrepreneurs don't actually "retire".
They carry on running the businesses or creating new ones. I remember Richard Branson saying the most exciting times for him is when he's starting a new business or venture.

The richest man in China still works very long hours and his children are running his various companies for him. They are billionaires on paper. Retired Sports men who are extremely rich go into Coaching or commentating for TV.

Myself personally when i've created the freedom and wealth i desire, would love to go travelling but i've got two young children so until they are out of school a trip around the world has to be put on hold. Other than that I don't really know yet. I certainly couldn't just sit around all day doing nothing.

I'd love to hear from other people as i can't honestly think of anything else i'd rather do at the moment although i get the feeling i just haven't found it yet. In fact there is one thing, i'd love to purchase my favourite Soccer club and turn it into one of the biggest clubs in the world. I'd need about £10 billion to achieve it however!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
The people I know who have a lot of success keep going. It's hard to suppress the drive to constantly improve and provide value. I don't know how likely it is that you'll find someone who has the drive and hunger to build a money printing business, that would turn around and walk away forever. Look at MJ or Vig, they still keep adding to their to-do list (this forum, Vig's radio show)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I intend to pass the secrets / knowledge on to those coming behind me......

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
I'd do all the stuff I want to do! Travel, learn languages, learn to play a lot of instruments, chase girls, teach people my ways, form a thrash metal band, have an arsenal of awesome weaponry, shoot said weaponry, fly a fighter jet like the guy on the forum, own and drive exotic vehicles. My to-do list is pretty stacked.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
You've got the house you dreamed of, the cars, partner, enough money and hence the freedom you desired, you're fit and healthy, life is good.

I do?? F*ck me, how did I miss all that?

Ok I'll humor the hypothetical:

Dude, the house is a shit load of work.
The cars take time picking and finding time/ways to drive them
the partner - TIME EFFORT
Money - investment takes time and upkeep
health - TIME EFFORT

you get what I'm getting at?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
would love to go travelling but i've got two young children so until they are out of school a trip around the world has to be put on hold.
I'm of the opinion that a lot more is learned by being "out there". Seeing, doing, interacting, rather than sitting in a classroom.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Last edited by a moderator:

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
This reminds me of the "What color should me Ferrari be?"

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
This reminds me of the "What color should me Ferrari be?"

Quite the opposite actually. I used money/cars etc to get my point across. It was more in relation to Freedom.
I have freedom. Freedom in the sense that i don't have to go to work again. I can quite comfortably live modest enough until the day i die without never working again (I'm 34). However i live in a working class city, my friends all work. My wife works (she chooses to). So whilst i've got all the time in the world during Monday to Friday nobody else i know has. I therefore carry on working to fill the time. I can't think of anything else to do with my time that i'd enjoy. Not on my own anyway. I want to live in Spain in future, UK weather is too cold for me. So hopefully when that time comes in the next few years i'll have some better ideas with that to do with my time other than continous work.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I'm of the opinion that a lot more is learned by being "out there". Seeing, doing, interacting, rather than sitting in a classroom.

Travelling the world with two young children sounds like an adventure to me, i'm not too sure on the practicalities of it however. I have read online that people have tried it.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Many people condemn those who are always looking forward. "Why can't you ever be satisfied with what you have?" they say.

We have a name for those people. Slowlaners.

They find happiness in achievements, for a time. They get that pay raise and feel excited. The buy a BMW and they feel successful. But that feeling is fleeting. So they learn to settle and 'be happy' with what they have. They submit themselves to "the system".

Then there is another group. The fastlaners, as they are called here. They devote every waking hour to success. They will likely achieve it because they want it more than anything else. But, like the slowlaners, they become bored with the things they buy and do. Even a brand new Lamborghini loses its sheen eventually.

However, they do not settle for monotony like the slowlaners. This is the difference between the two. They realize that happiness is transient. If they spend their lives trying to chase events, they will always walk away disappointed. Happiness is like an atom--never standing still and never where you think it'll be. We can only guess. However, there is a way to become happy permanently. Eventually, fastlaners figure this out.

What is the secret to happiness, then? Simple. It's the process. It has been preached here many times before. Truly successful people realize that success is not some defined goal. There is always more. More work to be done. More money to be made. More people to impact. Successful people don't feel content with stagnation. The only way they feel alive is if they are constantly progressing and moving forward. And guess what? This is the mindset that precedes greatness. The mindset for more.

I don't look at 'never being content with what you have' as a bad thing. In fact, it is a great thing. People who push themselves to constantly evolve and improve are people who can achieve non-fleeting happiness because they find it in the process, and not the events.

I'm not saying to ignore the cars, the yachts, the penthouses. I'm saying that those things are simply not the goal. They are nice benefits, but they do not lead to lasting happiness.

I don't plan on retiring. When entering the fastlane, many people make it a goal to 'retire young'. And they do. But after as little as a couple months, they become bored and restless. And they almost always go back. Start something new. Achieve more. Succeed more.

More. The small word that leads to success, happiness, and greatness.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Great post thanks. If I had a Pound or Dollar ha for everytime I heard my Wife ask me why I can't be happy with what I've got I'd be a very rich man.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Once you have freedom you can do whatever you want. If you want to continue working then go to work. Many people who are FI find that they get bored and need something to do. For those people who don't have a hobby, sometimes they find a job doing something they'd love to do but can't do on their own. Check out http://www.earlyretirementextreme.com Those guys have plenty of discussions just like this.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I want to keep creating value until I die. I have no idea in what form that value will be delivered, but know that I'd prefer doing that to killing time. Personally, I get the most satisfaction out of personal growth and seeing people happier because of something I created.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I'd like to build a totally self sufficient farm. Then I'd spend my time just raising a family and growing crops. Living close to nature as possible.

Love it. That is exactly what I would do and am planning to do.

During college I actually took a swing at the dream but came to realize that it would be an extremely uphill battle to produce the revenue necessary to scale. It was also going to require a pretty uncomfortable level of debt which unfortunately was not available to a first generation farmer during the financial meltdown.

This is also a live your passion lesson. Although I really loved the lifestyle it was supper stressful given capital constraints and was not nearly as enjoyable as when I was doing it for fun. With agriculture there are so many elements beyond your control that could wipe you out.

I'll never forget a beautiful early summer day I took a bunch of seedlings out of the greenhouse to start hardening them then went fishing. When I returned they were all smashed to pieces by a random hail storm.

I still think there is tremendous opportunity in this space for young entrepreneurs but I'll leave that for another post.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think I would just continue creating more. Life can get dull and boring if you don't have anything to do. And just because you have nice things won't change that. Most people lose their mind, or even die sitting around doing nothing. The more your brain is used and you take action doing something, you're healthier and happier. I would probably try to add value and help others grow and become more.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Quite the opposite actually. I used money/cars etc to get my point across. It was more in relation to Freedom.
I have freedom. Freedom in the sense that i don't have to go to work again. I can quite comfortably live modest enough until the day i die without never working again (I'm 34). However i live in a working class city, my friends all work. My wife works (she chooses to). So whilst i've got all the time in the world during Monday to Friday nobody else i know has. I therefore carry on working to fill the time. I can't think of anything else to do with my time that i'd enjoy. Not on my own anyway. I want to live in Spain in future, UK weather is too cold for me. So hopefully when that time comes in the next few years i'll have some better ideas with that to do with my time other than continous work.

Ok I get what you're saying now, sorry for the knee jerk response I thought it was another one of the colors of ferrari threads.

OK, assuming you took care of the stuff...

I'm actually in a similar position for the last year. I work when I want so I kind of just enjoyed myself living by the beach. Like you mentioned it got boring and lonely if you don't set specific tasks and new things to do. But a big thing I learned is that no matter what, you gotta make sure you keep working, because while you're enjoying your easy lifestyle, once money goes short it's gonna be a bitch to transition to working mode. Anyway, I just discussed this today with someone from this forum in a PM, and he told me that he had a moment when he got bored with what he was doing, and he basically started looking at new ways to generate passive income, and new businesses he could take on and be interested in. It made me think of the same - yeah we talk a lot here about if you're making money at one thing, keep at it, but if you do get bored I think you gotta throw another thing in the mix or you won't enjoy the money and won't be willing to work on that boring thing and resent it. So I am looking for new opps, in the industries that I actually enjoy learning about, just to get the blood flow moving.

chigga102

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
May 24, 2013
Why don't you do this now?

Im currently saving up to buy a 5 acre plot of land. My goal is to buy the land and plan this year. Next year start building a small house and then plant crops with a view to move on the farm in a 2-3 years. It is a long shot but im slowly moving towards it and I think it will he a succes

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.