The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My 30 day sleep challenge

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MendeGames

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 26, 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
(Assuming you own your own business) If you are a night person, why would you not work later, til say 12-1 AM and wake up later around 7? You are still using the same amount of time but the time you are working is more geared toward your personality.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Day 23 - done, sleep time: 6 hours (slept at 10)

(Assuming you own your own business) If you are a night person, why would you not work later, til say 12-1 AM and wake up later around 7? You are still using the same amount of time but the time you are working is more geared toward your personality.

If I let my night owl nature take over, I would be going to sleep later and later every night.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Day 24 - done, sleep time: 6 hours (slept at 10)

I have to give at least some credit to The Power of Less. It's not a book that will inspire or motivate you but it will get you thinking about two important ideas:
1. Developing routines
2. Focusing on the essentials in life

Last edited:

K.Y.

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 4, 2013
I've found a big correlation for me between waking up early and my state for the day. if I'm up at 4AM then I feel amazing the entire day. if I wake up later say 7am or so, I'm not as amped up. I need to pull myself into my peak state opposed to being in it if I wake up at 4am.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Day 25 - done, sleep time: 6 hours (slept at 10)

Used to have trouble sleeping the night before exams but last night was pretty good.

I've found a big correlation for me between waking up early and my state for the day. if I'm up at 4AM then I feel amazing the entire day. if I wake up later say 7am or so, I'm not as amped up. I need to pull myself into my peak state opposed to being in it if I wake up at 4am.

Eventually that buzz goes away and the routine just becomes part of your lifestyle.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Day 26 - done, sleep time: 5 hours (slept at 11)

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I didn't read all the posts, it was unnecessary for what I am about to say...

BUT, there is a fundamental flaw to your reasoning in trying to achieve yourself waking up at 4:15 every morning. The reason you wake up in the middle of the night, or a few hours after going to bed isn't entirely because of the noise around you. In fact, the human body naturally tunes out most of the noise around a person when they are both- a bit sleepy and have their eyes closed.

Your flaw is not in wanting to wake up at 4:15 every morning... I wake up at 4:30 every morning. But your mishap is in when* you go to sleep.

Change your process this way- DO NOT SET A TIME TO GO TO SLEEP.

That is right. You do not want to say, oh I need 7 hours of sleep (NEVER SLEEP MORE THAN 7 HOURS, google why) so I should go to bed 7 hours before 4:15 AM...
---------
The solution is to go to bed when you're sleepy (and only when you're sleepy) and get up with an alarm clock at a fixed time (7 days per week). So I always get up at the same time (in my case 4:30 am), but I go to bed at different times every night.

I go to bed when I’m too sleepy to stay up. My sleepiness test is that if I couldn’t read a book for more than a page or two without drifting off, I’m ready for bed. Most of the time when I go to bed, I’m asleep within three minutes. I lie down, get comfortable, and immediately I’m drifting off. Sometimes I go to bed at 9:30pm; other times I stay up until midnight.

When my alarm goes off every morning, I turn it off, stretch for a couple seconds, and sit up. I don’t think about it. I’ve learned that the longer it takes me to get up, the more likely I am to try to sleep in.

I had the above solution copied in my journal from September 2011, copy and paste it or something to find the source. BUT that was it...

Try it, test it, its what I did and it works.

Tell us how it goes :)

----
A few posts above you said catchup- on sleep time. That doesn't exist. You can't "catchup" on sleep time, and even if you could it is purposeless. Google why, again... don't "make up" things man. Nature is nature alongside biology, and it has a system.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
This is an interesting thread. I would love to get up at 4.30am every morning but my issue isn't the getting up...it is the going to bed at night. I just don't feel tierd enough to hit the sack at say 10pm.....especially not 8 or 9pm!

I usually start getting ready for bed at around 11.30pm...then I know I can sleep through the night.
I want to be able to get to bed earlier so as i can at least get 7 hours of sleep but i know if I get to bed at 10pm I will be up and very alert an hour later!

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Day 28 - done, sleep time: 5 hours (slept at 11)

Lagron, your post is gold, I've started to realize the same things myself.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Day 29 - done, sleep time: 3 hours (slept at 1)

next challenge: 20 minutes per day working on business goals.

Last edited:

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Day 30 - done, sleep time: 7 hours (slept at 9)

Total Days: 33
Successful Days: 30
Failed Days: 3

Most important lesson I've learned, don't expect to succeed without failing a few times. In the past, one failure would have devastated me.

Last edited:

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I want an update as to how long you are sleeping now on average?

It person should wake at the same time, if you don't change your alarm clock- and if you go to sleep "naturally"/when you just feel sleepy etc as per my last post...

but I read you slept for 3 hours? The fundamental reason I presume that you are doing this is to gain "hours" in productivity. To be awake earlier to finish more while everyone else sleeps and loses out.

But there is an average set of hours that people should sleep daily if not polyphasic sleeping, so as to not hinder efficiency and quality.

You see, people can be efficient, yet not qualified. And people can be qualified in their work yet not efficient. You need to learn to remove time waster, to remove things that aren't productive.

Your main goal is productivity. And to get the most you need efficiency and quality hand in hand. Write a short list of things to do the night before the day you need to do them...and try to finish that list, all in one shot when you wake up in the morning. Eliminate unnecessary actions/activities etc...just stick to finishing the list.

When you go to bed, whenever your body needs the sleep- you should look at the events/actions/jobs/tasks/etc that you have accomplished. Look at it, analyze it, and ask yourself "Did I accomplish something important today?" If the answer is not yes...when you ask that question, for each of the tasks you did- THEN THE TASK YOU GOT A NO FOR, IS A TASK THAT WAS WASTEFUL, UNNECESSARY.

REMOVE wastefulness. And then I want you to start a thread on your new business, that you are starting- for I hope that is the goal or means to a greater end- Freedom.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
I want an update as to how long you are sleeping now on average?

It person should wake at the same time, if you don't change your alarm clock- and if you go to sleep "naturally"/when you just feel sleepy etc as per my last post...

but I read you slept for 3 hours? The fundamental reason I presume that you are doing this is to gain "hours" in productivity. To be awake earlier to finish more while everyone else sleeps and loses out.

But there is an average set of hours that people should sleep daily if not polyphasic sleeping, so as to not hinder efficiency and quality.

You see, people can be efficient, yet not qualified. And people can be qualified in their work yet not efficient. You need to learn to remove time waster, to remove things that aren't productive.

Your main goal is productivity. And to get the most you need efficiency and quality hand in hand. Write a short list of things to do the night before the day you need to do them...and try to finish that list, all in one shot when you wake up in the morning. Eliminate unnecessary actions/activities etc...just stick to finishing the list.

When you go to bed, whenever your body needs the sleep- you should look at the events/actions/jobs/tasks/etc that you have accomplished. Look at it, analyze it, and ask yourself "Did I accomplish something important today?" If the answer is not yes...when you ask that question, for each of the tasks you did- THEN THE TASK YOU GOT A NO FOR, IS A TASK THAT WAS WASTEFUL, UNNECESSARY.

REMOVE wastefulness. And then I want you to start a thread on your new business, that you are starting- for I hope that is the goal or means to a greater end- Freedom.

I usually go to bed around 10 and wake up at 4:15 so that's about 6 hours.

I actually just deleted everything I wrote because I realized you're right, I should be keeping track of my time. I do get my stuff done and I get it done early but at the end of my day I still find myself wondering where did the time go?

The sleep goal had nothing to do with time management but I think that's something I may tackle next. I should be aware of how I'm spending every hour.

I've just been afraid to make lists and schedules. I used to enjoy it but I kept failing at being consistent with it.

I was recently let go of my job so now I have a huge surplus of time that I didn't have before, all the more reason to be careful how I spend it.

My goal for March is already set to spend 20 mins every day learning how to code in android (app idea) and so far I've nailed it. For April I may set a time management related goal, like create a To Do list the night before, every day.

Last edited:

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I think a perfect reading for you is 4 Hour Work Week...

I suggest that be on your list of goals to accomplish within the week or 2.

Good luck! Don't ask why I suggest you read it if you haven't...and if you have, reread it and take notes because there are important notes you have missed.

Aside from that...good luck again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.