The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally started my website. Thoughts?

Ronnie

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 18, 2013
New York

shangbang

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 4, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
A few thoughts:

1. More pics for the watches.

2. Are the watch pics you have ones you took? The backgrounds are all different. It looks to me like they are pics you found on GIS.

3. Your name tells me you are one man show. Not sure if good or not.

4. The top of your home page is taken up by your logo and white space. Use less white space. Show more product above the fold.

5. Start an email list. Send alerts for new models.

I think this is spot on.

I would also like to add the typeface used in the content part of the site feels off should experiment with a few more. Should give off a feeling of trust and luxury.

On mobile you logo is no where to be seen and the typeface is different, at least iOS Safari it is.

Like others have said, your probably better off going with Wordpress for this, a possible eComm plugin http://www.woothemes.com/woocommerce/ is very good, themes an all.

Good luck!

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
Wow the responses from some of you guys are fantastic ! I didn't expect such genuinely helpful decent answers.... As Latestarter stated this is exactly why I joined this forum to correct the mistakes before I even begin.
I have had 0 experience with setting up websites and had to google some of your suggestions to see what they are. I know it looks extremely amateur compared to others but I'am a complete amateur right now! Ive removed the weebly advertising at the bottom, made the logo larger and I wasn't able to add a favicon until I pay weebly for a package. From some of your suggestions I may leave using weebly but I'm not sure if I can still keep the .com domain?
I have written all the suggestions down and I will capatalise upon them once my finals are over in May. If anything doesn't become of this at least I will have gained a helpful insight into web developing and how to market myself better.
I thank you all for your great ideas time and suggestions!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Keep working on it. Don't wait until May.

Your advertising as Dubai watch guy but you won't be back there until May. Defining your location is only good if you are actually there. Will you be going away for school again in the fall?

On mobile you logo is no where to be seen and the typeface is different, at least iOS Safari it is.

Mobile is important. Make it work.

I may leave using weebly but I'm not sure if I can still keep the .com domain?

The domain is registered in YOUR name (I checked). You own it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
Keep working on it. Don't wait until May.

Your advertising as Dubai watch guy but you won't be back there until May. Defining your location is only good if you are actually there. Will you be going away for school again in the fall?

Mobile is important. Make it work.

The domain is registered in YOUR name (I checked). You own it.

Hi Mike thanks for your great input,

This is my final year in education abroad which is why I was going to just take a break and brush up on learning a bit about e commerce and web designing on the weekends. I will be back in Dubai at the start of May and will have plenty of time to get to grips with everything. My Dad was the one that introduced me to weebly as he does video editing and uploading etc!

I havent enabled a business account and therefore my website isnt actually functional yet as no one is able to buy anything. If you tried to purchase a watch I dont think it works! Weebly wants 20 dollars a month for fully intergrated e commerce etc with a contract for two years I think it is ! Being so busy in college I just find it hard to have much time to make it what it should be!
I have tried to make it look good on mobile (you should of seen it before) but im still learning how to work with weebly which I may change in the future.

Ma Co

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Apr 2, 2012
Vietnam
Good work! I like the overall style: minimalistic, elegant and clean.

What can you optimize?

1. Sharp, high res logo is a must! I'd rather remove it and show the site name in plain font

2. Reduce a big part of the white space at the top (logo area) and

3. Remove the "Welcome to ..." text and ....

4. Replace it with your USP statement in a headline! Why should people buy from you? Why not close the page instantly and go to someone who is already a trusted watch vendor?

5. Built trust. For example:
- Show some testimonials
- Show a face: customers, staff, you, ...
- Add a contact phone number

Good stuff, keep on fine tuning!

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I won't repeat the other suggestions, but no one mentioned that a lot of the text is actually pretty much "copied" from other sources. I don't think you really need to have all of that description about Rolex, anyway, but I would DEFINITELY reword it ASAP because it will kill your SEO (possibly even on local searches - someone else might be able to tell you for sure about this).

Did someone mention a sharper version of your logo? That was the first thing that I noticed. I also prefer the pictures that have a white background.

Since you do a lot of watch deals face-to-face, and you say that you plan to mostly sell local for now anyway, why not just take the shopping cart off, and have something like "Make an appointment for a viewing" or something like that, to make it feel more exclusive - at least until you get a really nice website done.

I don't think I would spend thousands of dollars on an item from that site, but I might make an appointment to buy it from you in person.

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
I won't repeat the other suggestions, but no one mentioned that a lot of the text is actually pretty much "copied" from other sources. I don't think you really need to have all of that description about Rolex, anyway, but I would DEFINITELY reword it ASAP because it will kill your SEO (possibly even on local searches - someone else might be able to tell you for sure about this).

Did someone mention a sharper version of your logo? That was the first thing that I noticed. I also prefer the pictures that have a white background.

Since you do a lot of watch deals face-to-face, and you say that you plan to mostly sell local for now anyway, why not just take the shopping cart off, and have something like "Make an appointment for a viewing" or something like that, to make it feel more exclusive - at least until you get a really nice website done.

I don't think I would spend thousands of dollars on an item from that site, but I might make an appointment to buy it from you in person.

Great point! I will implement that now. Does anyone know how I may sharpen up my logo?
I have removed the hotmail address and implemented a contact form which looks much better !
You guys are seriously great help I think an hour here and there spent on small changes will make improve it immensely come May time.

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
Hi Sean,

How is your site going?

You might find this valuable:
"Main ingredients a small business website should have":

Basic but pretty descent info, in my opinion.

Fantastic link! Thank you !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Great point! I will implement that now. Does anyone know how I may sharpen up my logo?

I don't know for sure (I know very little about weebly), but it's probably just that the image that you uploaded is small and weebly is making it bigger. It's best to have a high-resolution image and shrink it to the size than the other way around.

That's all I know :)

I like the changes you've made so far.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.