The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Third Alternative

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you do what everyone else does... if you think the way everyone else thinks... you will get the results everyone else gets.

I had a Persian (Iranian) Jewish mentor at one point along my journey. One of my largest takeaways from him was the pursuit of the third alternative.

Many times, the biggest of problems can be solved by using the third alternative. I am sure there are people more articulate than I am that could give you a better understanding of this, but I will give it a shot.

Most people see things in black and white. You go left or right. You do this, or you don't. You get sued, or you walk away. You move in one direction, or the other. Your choices are to either do it this way, or do it that way.

There's a problem solving skill that involves what he (and many others) call the third alternative. It's the option that most people never think about. It's drawing a page from the book Thick Face, Black Heart in which the best outcome is what ever gets the situation to the best possible outcome for you.

We thought we were going to get sued a few weeks ago. Instead of getting sued, the people ended up writing us a check. How? We discovered the third alternative.

My client thought he was going to end up with a multi-million dollar accrued liability. Instead, he ended up with zero. How? He found the third alternative.

Some people see only two paths to any problem. They see two possible outcomes.

I am currently working on a business strategy. The business needed better capitalization to grow exponentially.

1. I originally set out for Venture Capital financing. We are still in those discussions, but the path to get the company capitalized required more hassle than I was prepared to submit to.

2. Growing it organically was yielding results most people would be happy with, but my expectations are higher than most normal people's.

3. Trying to sell it too early didn't bring in what I wanted from the business $$ wise. I sold my last company too early.

So those are the three paths people might normally look at. Outside financing, growing organically, or selling it.

But what if there was ANOTHER option? What if you got the benefits of option 1 (other people's money) while growing it explosively (vs. organically) and ultimately increasing significantly the value of the company in a shorter amount of time so that when you did sell it, it was worth WAY more than if you just put it on the auction block?

In my case, here's what I have decided to do as I pursue the "third alternative." What if I partnered with a company much larger than me, used their resources to outsource operations, used their existing distribution, and used their cash? Overnight, they get a fully developed product line for incremental topline sales and net margin. In exchange, we get to use their resources to grow our sales, grow our distribution, have them finance the growth, and ultimately increase the value of our company. They also become the likely acquisition company when it is time to sell, but the value of the company is higher as the sales platform is far more significant.

You're heard people talk about "thinking outside the box." Sounds great, but the term is way overused. Essentially what they are talking about is finding a difference the way between how most people do things, and how you do things... aimed at getting different results. Thinking outside the box is slang for finding the third alternative.

I will leave this thought with a quote from my favorite modern day poet Robert Brault :

"Try to discover
The road to success
And you'll seek but never find,
But blaze your own path
And the road to success
Will trail right behind."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Excellent post. The ability to find the the Third Alternative in any given situation that benefits everyone involved is what separates the good from the great.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
VERY good post.

A few weeks ago, someone else from the forum posted a .pdf that talked extensively about how to think about and find 'third alternatives' (but not in those exact words).

It basically talked about ways to do partnerships that leverage other people's resources, and make both people better off. I highly recommend reading through this pdf, it is pretty small but really made me think and gave me lots of ideas and loads of interesting examples.

Here it is:
http://abraham-pop.s3.amazonaws.com/mindshift-challenge.pdf

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
How'd I miss this thread?!

Great inside on how to elevate your business, your personal life and your spiritual life.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Mind = Blown

(...and I'm only half way through!)

Good stuff isn't it! I was PUMPED when I was reading.

I am actually working a career type job again, and I used some of the principles in it to think of a GREAT business that the company I am working for could partner with. I called up their head of sales already and set up a meeting... ;). I am going to try to write myself into the contract so that I get a portion of all business passed between the two... :D

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Essentially what they are talking about is finding a difference the way between how most people do things, and how you do things... aimed at getting different results. Thinking outside the box is slang for finding the third alternative.

I have to say this is the only reason I'm where I am today. We face many obstacles in life, and everyone does see in black and white and even I was guilty of that, until I started seeing more abstractly. There is always a different way. :)

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
This is brilliant! I was bashing my head against the wall for a problem to which I couldn't find a solution, and after reading it I have 2 different angles to attack the problem!

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics