The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Free online Software Engineering Courses?

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
I'm interested in learning Software Engineering up to at least graduate level, and if anyone on this forum knows any free learning resources for software engineering I would be really grateful.

Any pointers would be welcome especially from skilled software engineers worth their salt.

So far I found this:
http://education-portal.com/articles/List_of_Free_Online_Software_Engineering_Courses.html
http://blog.agupieware.com/2014/05/online-learning-bachelors-level.html

I haven't gone in-depth with them, are they worth something or should I skip over them?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

John Reef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 15, 2013
there are many like for example Codeacademy.com and theres a really good premium which is teamtreehouse.com its full of great knowledge for a lot of languages!

let me know more cuz I'm interested too!

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
Udacity is another good source of education, albeit more practice based than theory. What are your goals and current skill level of software engineering? Might be able to recommend something more concrete.

My skill is zero. I know the basics of a few prog. languages, but nothing too fancy. As for my goals, I want to be able to create quality programs. I want to know software, and computers in general like the back of my scarred hand

zerobrainwash

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 20, 2015
Baltics
I want to know software, and computers in general like the back of my scarred hand

You might find this thread interesting - http://programmers.stackexchange.co...ence-degree-but-i-dont-feel-like-i-know-how-t . The key take-away from the thread is that even those majoring in Computer Science rarely feel at all competent at software engineering. Computing has many layers of abstraction, from the lowest such as electricity flowing through circuits, to machine code, to operating systems. In undergraduate programs they touch upon each one of these layers but don't delve into much detail into neither of those. Knowing these layers might satisfy your intellectual curiosity but won't help in your day-to-day grind in making good quality software.

Having said that, this is a really good introduction to CS from Harvard university which will touch upon each of these layers - https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x#.VPg1RfmsWFU . Alternatively, Udacity has a great course too - https://www.udacity.com/course/cs101 . I can tell you that Udacity always tries to make their material more applicable, and fun while MOOCs ( massive open online courses ) from traditional universities tend to be more conservative and theory based. I like both styles, depending from the topic. My recommendation would be to give both a shot and see which one sticks. At the end of these courses lecturers always give recommendations on what you can learn next to go deeper in the rabbit hole.

In order to create really quality software you would ideally possess the following skills - Unit Testing, Data Structures ( best programmers first think of data structures instead of algorithms ), Algorithms, Architecture, Design Patterns, familiarity with different programming language styles ( functional, procedural ), familiarity with available database options.

The list above can be overwhelming. That's why you shouldn't be thinking about how to reach graduate level. It's like thinking of how can you start a billion dollar business out of nothing which at least for me is incomprehensible. Better think of a next step and one of the MOOCs recommended above is a good start. On the way you will pick up new bits and pieces of knowledge and will have a better idea what you might want to learn next.

Alternatively, if you just want to get to writing software ASAP, Udacity once again has a nano-degree scheme which brings you up to the level where you can write something of your own fairly fast. It won't give you as strong foundation as first learning about CS in general though.

This is also additional reading - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...influential-book-every-programmer-should-read and http://www.reddit.com/comments/ch0wt/a_reading_list_for_the_selftaught_computer/ . I would shy away from blogs for the most part as they mostly provide temporary knowledge and opinions of people which as you might have heard are like a$$ holes, everybody has one. Also, you won't be able to distinguish from good quality advice to not so good, better stick to reputable sources at all times for now.

Anyway, the sentence of 'I want to know software, and computers in general' is still fairly broad and even with best intentions in mind I am struggling to give a straight-forward answer. This leaves me thinking there might be a niche to help out people such as yourself starting out in computing industry, figure out the needs and create a path of learning.

Last edited:

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
I really appreciate your replies and I'll hand you rep when I recover from the flu!

I still don't know how to answer your questions with a narrowed-down precise answer since I don't know what I can learn regarding software. I'm interested in mobile app development, hacking(mostly white-hat stuff), programming, developing web sites and other online services and maybe fundamental hardware knowledge.

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
Did you check out iTunes university? Look in Stanford and MIT ... I am sure there are some there
iTunes university? It already sounds expensive :p I'll check it out

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.