The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

App Startup Thread, NEED OPINIONS

Lou Esposito

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 29, 2014
A few days ago, I saw the post of @Kumar Patel about joining the forums at a young age. I immediately contacted him and we began to talk about ideas and taking action. Kumar led me to @BigBrianC and we formed a group to being talking about app development.

I introduced an idea for the group and they agreed that it has potential however, we would like to receive the opinons of others on the forums as well as list some of the features of our planned app.

To start things off, at it's it core our app is a community driven therapy app that can connect users via video chat and/or text chat. Upon opening the app, users can select whether to be a "Listener" or someone who simply needs help. As a listener you can view a list of clients who currently need help and request to help them. As a person looking for help, you may view a list of available listeners who you may hire for their services. Listeners may set their own price, and even off free therapy if they would like.

Are there any successful apps like this?
Yes, but the apps are not community driven and they are not focused primarily on therapy. For example, the main competitor we found is an app that can be used for any type of medical concern, we think that an app primarily based on therapy will create interest and will draw people towards it. Also, not only does this app not primarily focus on therapy, but they charge an extreme fee just to sign up. This business model they run excludes their most important users, teenagers.

What about therapy help numbers, won't people just use those?
In the talk among ourselves, this question was asked and while there are phone numbers specifically designed for this reason, these phone numbers do not allow users to build a relationship with their helper. Also, many people feel embarrassed or ashamed to call these numbers and many people have told me that these phone lines are not helpful because people who are selected to help you often just play the role of a yes man and don't actually provide solutions to problems. Our app aims to allow growing relationships between therapists and clients and allow them to connect on a more personal level.

What features set our app apart?
-Review System which allows users to rate each other based on how helpful they were
-Reputation system sort of like the dollar amounts here on the fastlane forum to show how long a person has been around and using the app.
-Availability of therapy at any time.
-Good price range and options for people who do not have a lot of money and young people
-Easy Access
-Sense of community that drives to help each other.

Please feel free to post your opinions below, we are looking towards development and would love to hear the feedback of users on the fastlane forum.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
Oh nice! This idea crossed my mind a while back, so I think this could be awesome.
Something I would reccomend is a feature which enables people to list their problems. Then the listeners could knowingly handle the problem.

Lou Esposito

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 29, 2014
Oh nice! This idea crossed my mind a while back, so I think this could be awesome.
Something I would reccomend is a feature which enables people to list their problems. Then the listeners could knowingly handle the problem.
Great suggestion. Thank you for the feedback! That feature alone would allow therapists to pick and choose clients who they know they can help more

Sisyphus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Feb 4, 2015
Toronto
have you check out blahtherapy.com?

there are also many potential legal issues which can make your app difficult to set up. a person with serious mental issues or life trauma talking to a stranger is very dangerous.

Last edited:

Kumar Patel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 22, 2015
have you check out blahtherapy.com?

there are also many potential legal issues which can make your app difficult to set up. a person with serious mental issues or life trauma talking to a stranger is very dangerous.
True. I saw the website. It doesnt have an app version which many of its members are asking for.

Serks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2015
Now I'm not sure if I read this correctly but are the listeners strictly counselor/therapists/psychologists or can anyone be a listener?

Only reason I ask is because there can be serious underlying issues/conditions that an unqualified person may not be able to identify and deal with and the outcome can be very bad for everyone involved.

Apart from that, I think it's a great idea.

Lou Esposito

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 29, 2014
Now I'm not sure if I read this correctly but are the listeners strictly counselor/therapists/psychologists or can anyone be a listener?

Only reason I ask is because there can be serious underlying issues/conditions that an unqualified person may not be able to identify and deal with and the outcome can be very bad for everyone involved.

Apart from that, I think it's a great idea.
After considering this I have thought about it and come to the conclusion that there should be some sort of resume or test required to become a listener. So we would have to approve applicants based on their past work and how well we think they can perform.

Winning

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Mar 8, 2014
I think it has potential. Just screen like you said. Or maybe, have therapists that are certified and pay them for each help session. Can be extra cash for them on the side when they don't have clients of their own coming through their doors.

Then, you have users buy coins (via iAP) to get a therapy session. Could be $2.99 for 5 mins, $4.99 for 10 mins, etc. Then you pay the therapist a percentage of that.

Just some thoughts.

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia

Or someone can simply go there to troll people, which can lead to serious consequences and give your service a bad rep.

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
I'd make sure all your therapists are fully qualified and abide by the law in each country. There could be huge implications if someone decides to troll a person who is need of some serious help and god forbid they end up hurting themselves or worse there could be a police investigation etc....Similar things happen to websites all the time over here in the UK.

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Where can I sign up to be a listener to troll some poor helpless suicidal and probably drunk 19 yo girl?

I see tons of red tape with this. Like most have said before with the requirement of actual therapists, I think this is huge. What do you know about therapy? If your experience is minimal/nonexistant and you're going to try and make a product for this area of the medical field, please just stop now. On the other hand if you are experienced, that's another story.

What about getting a partnership with the mentioned site that has users asking for a mobile app? I would imagine if you are hoping that patients are entering their info you have a huge can of worms with HIPAA. Don't know what HIPAA is? I'd find another project if you don't.

Lou Esposito

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 29, 2014
All of these replies are exactly why I created the thread and put emphasis on needing opinions. I now understand that this probably isn't the best idea to delve into, not because it won't work, but because there are too many problems involved with the law and damaging others when creating this app. Rather than get angry or upset over it, I will simply move onto my next best idea.

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Try this, Take some time to really get involved in your current area of work and identify a problem or pain point. Then go from there. After developing a suite of medical apps, I'd advise sticking to your area of experience. I did and it was still a very high barrier to entry to get a product developed and to market.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.