The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Announcing: Google Domains (Should GoDaddy Be Worried?)

Is this another reason to love Google?

• Yes!

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • No!

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I NEVER loved Google!

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I just got word that Google Domains (https://domains.google.com/about/) is a thing...

GoDaddy is currently #1 in the domain name market with 31.277% market share according to this article (http://www.webhosting.info/registrars/top-registrars/global/) But...

That could change.

Why? How?

Well, simply put, Google is a force to be reckoned with...

Google might take the place as #1 and leave GoDaddy behind as #2 in no time, but who really knows?

@GrumpyCat Is this another reason to love Google?

Personally, I think it's pretty cool. Google FTW!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Go daddy does a lot of things right, but they also do a lot wrong.

Their email and services management dashboards are awful. Imagine if your new domain's email went into a pretty gmail account without any effort on your part.

Too early to say, but I'd be worried if I were godaddy.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I just got word that Google Domains (https://domains.google.com/about/) is a thing...

GoDaddy is currently #1 in the domain name market with 31.277% market share according to this article (http://www.webhosting.info/registrars/top-registrars/global/) But...

That could change.

Why? How?

Well, simply put, Google is a force to be reckoned with...

Google might take the place as #1 and leave GoDaddy behind as #2 in no time, but who really knows?

@GrumpyCat Is this another reason to love Google?

Personally, I think it's pretty cool. Google FTW!

Interesting. Godaddy always has a coupon. Its almost always the cheapest place to get a name quick. I just cant stand their checkout and dashboard so really dont use them anymore.

NameCheap is what ive been using since Whois Privacy is free for a year, $3 each year after.

Just noticed Whois Privacy is always free and included with the $12 price on Google.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Just remember: Google has deleted /cancelled products of them before without any announcements..just gone overnight.

I doubt that they'll do that with something that makes them good money...However they have stopped/deleted/destroyed other services that a lot of users used before.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
This has been around as invite only for a long while - maybe a year or so, I got an invite code to use it but found I actually couldn't as it was US only. And it still looks like it's US only now they've finally opened it up. Reasonable fit with some existing products like the business apps suite. Not a godaddy lover, and would happily swap domain reg to google were it available to Canada.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Imagine if your new domain's email went into a pretty gmail account without any effort on your part.

Just noticed Whois Privacy is always free and included with the $12 price on Google.

Those are some great selling points for Google. GoDaddy could adapt to be more appealing, but Google is looking good right now! I wonder when it will be out of Beta. I'm confident it won't go to "Google Graveyard," but we'll see.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Godaddy should see this as an opportunity to change, because they'll need to, to retain their customers.

These are just my thoughts but I'm going to go ahead and transfer my domains over to google. Also I'll add some pluses that I feel will be added even if I didn't see them on their beta page.

- great up-time
- cheap reliable price
- who-is privacy is included
- integration with gmail (much more convenient)

I could see them adding (all of them additional revenue for google)
- auto integration with Adsense
- suggestions for Google Keywords/ads based on their spidering of your site
- discounts on Google Ads/keywords for using their domains
- easy integration with google checkout

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I recently moved a few domains that I own from GoDaddy to Google Domains. I think I'm eventually going to do the same with all my other domains because:
  • I trust Google (or at least, I trust that it's a VERY stable company)
  • It's less expensive ($12 flat rate). GoDaddy was $15.17 aka $14.99 + $0.18 (tax/fee) for a 1 year renewal of a .com
  • It includes WHOIS privacy within the flat $12 cost
  • $0 aka FREE to transfer
I never knew that email forwarding was included with the domain for GoDaddy until today. When I was messing around with my account I saw that it was. Maybe it's a new feature, but what's done is done. Google Domains still wins regardless. The one thing they don't offer is encryption. But I saw that this is an upcoming thing: https://letsencrypt.org/

If GoDaddy doesn't do anything to counter its upcoming competitor it might not last long.

edit: maybe it'll just lose a lot of clients, haha. I don't know if it'd be totally wiped out.

Last edited:

MRSupply

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jan 2, 2016
Pennsylvania, United States
Thanks for posting this - I have a few domains with Bluehost that are set to renew soon (one this week). I am going to contact them to see about moving my domains to Google (and keep the hosting with Bluehost) and see if I can get a better price.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Well...

"On September 7, 2023 Squarespace acquired all domain registrations and related customer accounts from Google Domains. Customers and domains will be transitioned over the next few months. Learn more."

For those who were using Google Domains, are you using Squarespace now or something else? Because all my domains are still in Google Domains, but I should move them soon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.