The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My employers new stance on cell phones.....its YOUR responsibility

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Yep, thats the new cell phone policy. I guess they figure that it falls into the same category as your car. You buy your car, you pay for your gas and maintenance with AFTER tax dollars, to serve the needs of the employer.

The company decided to stop paying for all cell phone bills. And if you are on the manditory list and oncall, like I am, you are obligated to not only carry a personal cell phone, but answer it. I haven't seen any of the employees draw a line in the sand yet, but our employer sure has. And its a very large corporation.

More motivation for me to get out of here. Between the high deductible health insurance plan and the cell phone bill, i'm wondering what shoe will drop next.

I'm going home to work on validation of my new product.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Well, its the fact that a large corporation has the gall to tell you not to use their computers and other equipment for personal usage, but then they turn around and expect you to use YOUR personal cell phone for company business.

I think the point I was more intending is that I need to get busy with my own products. I use this forum to rant from time to time.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I dont understand the problem. Get a prepaid phone. Costs nothing to answer. :\

This. I don't get these people that look at cell phones as a big expense.

I pay $35/month for my prepaid phone. Unlimited everything- talk, text, data. And when I'm at home I use Wifi so fast speeds and constant connection for the majority of the time I use it.

These people with $120 monthly contracts with $1000 early elimination fees are insane. As are the people who wait in line for days for the newest iPhone or Samsung. Cell phones are like hammers- they're a tool. I could give a shit what brand my hammer is so long as it works.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not an accountant, but personal stuff you use for work might be tax deductible.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Total first world problem.
Seems super reasonable to me.

You're expected to get to work without a company providing you a driver.
You're expected to wear clean clothes without the company providing dry-cleaning.

You're similarly expected to provide a reliable communication method.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I dunno, I guess its kind of a slippery slope.....how much more "cost of doing business" is reasonable to put onto the shoulders of the employees that we feel should be privileged to work for the company? I mean, really, we could take this a lot further. Most of us have pens, pencils, paper, toilet paper, water, desk chairs, computers, and other necessities at home as well. I would be ok with it as long as my office can be located at my home.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I'm on Republic Wireless, I pay $10/mo. No data over cellular, but really the only downsides to that are that you can't use maps while driving, and you can't check your data apps outside of wireless. Who cares tho, it's $10.
https://republicwireless.com/

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Lol. One place I contracted into didn't supply stationary. You had to supply your own pen and paper. Fine for me as a contractor, but I did wonder what the employees must have thought.

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
My company elimated it's blackberry program this year. In addition to having us return our equipment, we now have to install software on our personal phone that plugs us into the company network (email, calendar, etc.). We get a reimbursement for our compliance with the program, but I was never on board with it. I didn't even like having the blackberry, which I always kept on a charger at home, never used and never answered.

Some of the things that bothers me about the this new BYOM (bring your own mobile) program and the accompanying software is how your company messages, calendar, emails, etc are automatically synced to your phone. I don't want that stuff mixing with my personal information. I also don't like how we have to agree to have our phones wiped if the company deems it necessary. There's no guarantee we'll get a warning either if such a situation should ever happen. You're essentially left to regularly backup your phone and "hope" it never does.

Everyone completely jumped on board with the program except me. I refused to install the software on my phone, instead putting it on a wifi-only tablet that carries no personal information. Should it get wiped I would only have to reinstall some apps and books. No big deal. And I consider the reimbursement I get free money. We are allowed to the install the software on tablets, but the company never specified in its terms of use that tablets have to have data plans and I don't intend to ask for clarification.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I also don't like how we have to agree to have our phones wiped if the company deems it necessary. There's no guarantee we'll get a warning either if such a situation should ever happen. You're essentially left to regularly backup your phone and "hope" it never does.

Exactly ! I also didnt use activesync which would allow the company to push their email policies onto my phone which would give them the ability to wipe it if they chose to. My boss assured me that they never have, but it was stated in the terms that they reserved the right to do so. Never the less, I installed the OWA client instead, so I could check my company email without them pushing anything onto my phone.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
we now have to install software on our personal phone that plugs us into the company network
the ability to wipe it if they chose to

Now I understand the problem.
If the company REQUIRES use of specific software, that's an entirely different story.
I would never get on-board with that.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There's a simple solution. Create freedom.

Right now, you exist to serve at someone else's whims.

You spend 40-60 hours a week making someone else money.

They tell you how to spend your own time, and how to use your personal phone.

And you do it.

So change it.

My employer lets me do what ever I want with my phone.

Let the shit you need to eat as someone's employee motivate you to blaze your own path.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
51TSvFLN3SL.jpg

DawnW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Feb 2, 2015
I can see how this would be a major motivation to get your product going. My employer still supplies phones but rumor has it that they will stop supplying and reimburse only. Sign of the times I guess

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
There's a simple solution. Create freedom.

Right now, you exist to serve at someone else's whims.

You spend 40-60 hours a week making someone else money.

They tell you how to spend your own time, and how to use your personal phone.

And you do it.

So change it.

My employer lets me do what ever I want with my phone.

Let the shit you need to eat as someone's employee motivate you to blaze your own path.

Yeah, that was kind of where I was going with this post originally. Thanks for the heavy hand.....you never let me down. Back to my landing page design. I can't afford to stop and keep bitching about my problems on TMFF.

MIA

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV.
I dunno, I guess its kind of a slippery slope.....how much more "cost of doing business" is reasonable to put onto the shoulders of the employees that we feel should be privileged to work for the company? I mean, really, we could take this a lot further. Most of us have pens, pencils, paper, toilet paper, water, desk chairs, computers, and other necessities at home as well. I would be ok with it as long as my office can be located at my home.

I have noticed a mindset shift through this forum more than other forums, that is noteworthy on topics like this. Most would have you think it's a positive thing... The divide of the opinions toward a scenario I like yours. The best example I could use is everyone hates a snitch, until they're your snitch, snitching to you. You simply state you're feeling a bit taken advantage of by your employer and want to use this as motivation to become independent and responses (which, to be fair we do open ourselves up to all kinds once putting our initial thoughts out there in writing a thing anywhere on the Internet) are ultimayely like "what's the big deal?" Sort of condoning what's happening... Makes me think of someone either currently practicing or willing to perperate or advocate such a thing over someone else... Like if you were employed by them they wouldn't mind asking the same no of you. But for certain the more that is asked of someone by the employer, especially to an employee that has aspirations of independence, the more of a slight it can feel. Like you said, the principle of the thing seems skewed, the hypocrisy in that their resources are corporate assets not to be abused by you and your desires for profit and yet your resources should be made accessible to them for the end motivation of profit. Ultimately employers hold the power in these situations; you comply or leave or face the consequences they choose to hand out and that's why so many are seeking an alternative. I hope you find yours and sooner rather than later.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

This was exactly my thought as I read this thread. Use the feelings of injustice you feel as motivation to get you to where you need to be. The worse they treat you the greater the favour they perform for you.

Time to get your shit together.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
MJ mentioned when I was getting ready to speak to that college class that instances like this motivation from the cell phone policy won't help you succeed as an entrepreneur, but they do serve as a catalyst kick in the a$$ to get you frustrated to the point where you will take the requisite risks to go your own way.

The moment you decide that you're not going to spend the rest of your life working for someone else (not just wish it but really resolve as to what your game plan is to get there) than work becomes more of a game. You can take the blows easier when you have an end game that is bigger than them. You can smile through the bullshit. You can deal with the games, and the politics, and the manipulations. They will wonder why your attitude is so great... and it will actually help you be a better employee. Your end game is bigger. Bigger than your job. Bigger than them.

If a miserable existence is just a stepping stone towards the rest of life, than getting up Monday morning and going back into the office for another week at the grind becomes tolerable. They're now part of YOUR plan vs. you being part of theirs. They're now just a tool you are using to take in an income for today, while you need it for today, while you work on your end game.

Then comes the day. Your freedom day. The day you are able to walk away from it. On the freedom day, you don't need their paycheck any more. That becomes literally the best day of your life. On that day, you hold all the cards. Do you stay? It's up to you. Do you leave? It's up to you. Do you milk the paycheck until they push you out the door? Up to you. It's the last move in the game.

Freedom. Your freedom date. You can get there. It starts with your own resolve. Intestinal fortitude to create your own ending. Makes things like your employers cell phone policy tolerable. Just part of the game, but now it's your game. You want me to do that? OK. You want me to come in at 7:30AM tomorrow? OK. You want me to... OK. Smiling.

This is my world. I am just allowing you to play in my sandbox for a while while I use your money to create my end game. 5 years now, when I come back here, you'll still be here. Passing out cell phone policies to new employees. That's who you are. It's not who I am. This is not where I end... it's where life began for me.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
The moment you decide that you're not going to spend the rest of your life working for someone else (not just wish it but really resolve as to what your game plan is to get there) than work becomes more of a game. You can take the blows easier when you have an end game that is bigger than them. You can smile through the bullshit. You can deal with the games, and the politics, and the manipulations. They will wonder why your attitude is so great... and it will actually help you be a better employee. Your end game is bigger. Bigger than your job. Bigger than them......

Superb post @Vigilante

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
On the freedom day, you don't need their paycheck any more.
Dude, you seriously have no idea how many times i fantasize this very scenario in my head. That day I get to tell the manager and the HR lady that I need to see them in the office.....and proceed to tell them the very thing they have told so many others..... "I'm sorry guys, but your paychecks are no longer needed, and I'm gonna have to let you guys go."

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Dude, you seriously have no idea how many times i fantasize this very scenario in my head. That day I get to tell the manager and the HR lady that I need to see them in the office.....and proceed to tell them the very thing they have told so many others..... "I'm sorry guys, but your paychecks are no longer needed, and I'm gonna have to let you guys go."

You will get there, and we will all celebrate with you. I know several people on the forum personally that started out as workers and manufactured their own freedom.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Well, its the fact that a large corporation has the gall to tell you not to use their computers and other equipment for personal usage, but then they turn around and expect you to use YOUR personal cell phone for company business.

I think the point I was more intending is that I need to get busy with my own products. I use this forum to rant from time to time.
A corporation that creates rules so that everything works out in their favour 100% of the time. That's nothing new.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
My previous employer remote-wiped my personal phone out of vengeance (which, at the time, I didn't even know was possible), without any warning whatsoever or even telling me that they'd done it.

Since then I will never, ever use my own phone for a company's business again.

Zachariah Lange

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Feb 7, 2015
Southeast Wisconsin, US
I use my personal phone for my work. The way I see it is if I had to have a personal AND work phone, neither would ever be charged, as opposed to my personal phone only being charged half of the time haha. Also, all my clients are in my phone, so if I leave, so do my clients.

Since I can see a benefit to having to use my personal phone, it's no big deal for me. Now, if the company I worked for started telling me I had to download apps onto my phone and essentially give up the rights to all the data on my phone, I would want to see them paying AT LEAST a portion of the bill. Also, if they have to include the right to wipe your phone in an agreement then I think that would be the first indication that they should be using a more secure method.

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
The moment you decide that you're not going to spend the rest of your life working for someone else (not just wish it but really resolve as to what your game plan is to get there) than work becomes more of a game. You can take the blows easier when you have an end game that is bigger than them. You can smile through the bullshit. You can deal with the games, and the politics, and the manipulations. They will wonder why your attitude is so great... and it will actually help you be a better employee. Your end game is bigger. Bigger than your job. Bigger than them.

Vig, that was dam near poetic, and you hit the nail right on the head.

For about ten years, I was listening to my boss's visions about how our products were going to take off and make us all tons of money. Massive was always just around the next corner.

After so many years, it made me weary and frustrated. I slowly started to realize that the truck he was driving want going to get me where I wanted to go.

After a couple of things happened (succeeding with a few rental properties and falling in with TFF) the realization crystallized that I really wouldn't be there forever. That I would be free one day.

And what you described is exactly what's happened. The bullshit doesn't bother me any more. Empty promises of success? Okay. Bitching about how our distributor is screwing us over? No problem. Product delays created by adding bullshit features that nobody cares about? Water off a duck's back.

At the same time I've become more productive over the last 6 months then I've ever been. The boss even told me that I would be the first choice to head a new project in the next couple of years.

Looking forward to Freedom Day with all my being.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Vig, that was dam near poetic, and you hit the nail right on the head.

For about ten years, I was listening to my boss's visions about how our products were going to take off and make us all tons of money. Massive was always just around the next corner.

After so many years, it made me weary and frustrated. I slowly started to realize that the truck he was driving want going to get me where I wanted to go.

After a couple of things happened (succeeding with a few rental properties and falling in with TFF) the realization crystallized that I really wouldn't be there forever. That I would be free one day.

And what you described is exactly what's happened. The bullshit doesn't bother me any more. Empty promises of success? Okay. Bitching about how our distributor is screwing us over? No problem. Product delays created by adding bullshit features that nobody cares about? Water off a duck's back.

At the same time I've become more productive over the last 6 months then I've ever been. The boss even told me that I would be the first choice to head a new project in the next couple of years.

Looking forward to Freedom Day with all my being.

Quotation-Henry-David-Thoreau-success-direction-live-life-dreams-Meetville-Quotes-34363.jpg

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
My previous employer remote-wiped my personal phone out of vengeance (which, at the time, I didn't even know was possible), without any warning whatsoever or even telling me that they'd done it.

Since then I will never, ever use my own phone for a company's business again.
Is that even legal?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.