The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Damage Inc.'s Teespring Trials & Facebook Foray

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Damage Inc.

There's no return from 86
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I was checking out teespring.com/discover and noticed it was not very common to have >500 sales. What constitutes a good campaign? I realize that is dependent on how much you are spending in advertisement versus how many shirts you are selling but it seems like a couple hundred shirts sold means you are doing fairly well. Does that sound accurate?

I think you're correct. The viral or hit shirts that do 500-1k plus are rare, and of course people are shooting for them. But I think the guys who make money doing this are often hitting nice numbers with a shirt that does a couple hundred. And then perhaps they modify for a slightly different sector within the niche or even a new niche and do another couple hundred. For example lets say you find out that 45-55 year old cat owning women market hasn't been saturated yet: if you could sell 200 shirts that say "I'd rather be petting my hairless cat", and then relaunch the same design with "I'd rather be petting my siamese cat" etc. you could do pretty well selling a hundred of each design and not need to spend as much time on design and testing that market. And some guys are just coming up with a good design and continually re-launching for months until they totally saturate the market with their own shirt. There's a design right now that says "I make wood into stuff, what's your superpower?" That one has sold through in multiple campains, in different colors, etc over the past months. Each campaign might sell 50-100 but the guy has done a bunch. He found a good marketing strategy and he's just going to keep milking it until it doesn't make any money. All of this is easier said than done though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Damage Inc.

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
3-7-15

Hey guys, it's been a little over a week since I updated this so here's what's happened. Those two designs did go to printing, one with 5 sales and the other with 10 sales. My total take away from Tee Spring for them is $58.58. Since my last update I launched 3 more shirts, one of which will go to printing and the other 2 I've killed ads for. I tried two Earth Day themed shirts but the response wasn't great. The one that's selling right now is another in the same general niche as the other two that printed. In total I've launched 10 shirts, with 3 of them selling enough to get to printing (in my stats you'll see 12 shirts, because twice I caught a mistake on my designs and re-launched with the errors fixed). I'm having a hard time getting this profitable because my cost to acquire a customer on the successful shirts is very close to the customer's value. I've raised my pricing for my most recent designs, so my numbers on the current seller are better than the two that went to printing already (which I lost money on). The current seller is right on the verge of break even to profit. But once you add in the failed campaigns which I spend $10-25 on, it becomes a losing proposition still. I think I'll stick within the niche which I've had success in and continue launching shirts here and there as I have time to see if I can turn this around to profit. The stats are below.

10 Shirts Launched, 3 To Print, ~$108 "Profit"
3-7-15%20all%20designs_zpsnz58edvf.png

$347.74 In FB Ad Spend
february%20facebook%20ad%20spend_zpsugfagypb.png

unbilled%20march%202014%20facebook%20ad%20spend_zpsn4k28d8u.png

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
how are you deciding on price point for each design?

Damage Inc.

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
From the research I had done and looking at other campaigns it seemed like around $20-22 on t shirts and $35-40 for a hoodie was what the market would accept. I was shooting for about $6 above cost on the t shirts, and $10-15 above cost on the hoodies (for a run of 10-20 units) while trying to get my FB ads CPA around $4.00. For my last campaign that printed I was selling t shirts at $21.99, hoodies at $39.99, long sleeves at $23.99. These prices were a few bucks higher than my previous campaigns and it didn't seem to affect sales negatively. I've been focusing on other things and haven't done anything new with this since that last update.

PS the shirt that had 8 sales on that last update ended up selling 11 units for a "profit" of $78.10.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.