The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

3D printing unborn babies (looking for partners)

ttoke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 10, 2013
Hello Guys,

I am the CEO of a 3D technology company located in Tallinn, Estonia. We do many 3D related stuff - 3D modelling, 3D scanning, 3D printing etc.

Our newest service is making 3D models of ultrasound data and 3D print it. The more specific service we are concentrated on right now, is 3D printing unborn babies. We are the second company in the world to offer a service like that.

You can read about the service from this article:
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150...ull-color-ultrasound-3d-printing-service.html

and our website
http://www.wolfprint3d.ee/en/3d-loode/

We think it’s a fantastic product for soon-to-be mothers to bond with their unborn child, it really has a positive effect on a pregnant woman’s psychology. All of our clients have been extremely positive about the product so far.

We are looking for partners worldwide to take the service to as many people as possible. The end customer is a pregnant woman, but we are selling the product to 3D ultrasound centres, who make money by selling it to our end customers.

If you have experience in medical sales/3D ultrasound and the project seems interesting to you, please contact us.

My e-mail is:
timmu@wolfprint3d.ee

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Be careful making claims like that in the U.S., dont speak in absolutes without testing! The project is interesting but I dont have experience, just wanted to drop that note. Good luck

ttoke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 10, 2013
Thanks OscarDeuce!

Be careful making claims like that in the U.S., dont speak in absolutes without testing! The project is interesting but I dont have experience, just wanted to drop that note. Good luck
What do you mean exactly?

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
You could run into legal trouble if you, say for example, claim "This will improve psychology of pregnant women" without testing it. Instead, if you don't test, use phrases like "Could improve psychology", "Improved psychology in our experiences, but experiences differ" etc.

ttoke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 10, 2013
You could run into legal trouble if you, say for example, claim "This will improve psychology of pregnant women" without testing it. Instead, if you don't test, use phrases like "Could improve psychology", "Improved psychology in our experiences, but experiences differ" etc.
Ok, got it. Thanks!

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Slap a disclaimer on it, just to be sure. I think this idea is awesome and creepy. I love it.

And man, my avatar is popular on this board.

ttoke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 10, 2013
Slap a disclaimer on it, just to be sure. I think this idea is awesome and creepy. I love it.

And man, my avatar is popular on this board.
Dude I joined the forum a year before you did and it has been my avatar ever since. BTW - I have an obsession with wolves, check my company name. :)

And thanks!

EDIT: Mine is bigger! :p

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
If there is a way you can have people send you their ultrasounds, and you get them made and ship it to them, there could be a market online.

Can create a couple pages and send some traffic of women that are expecting to it and see if it converts.
Even though it'll be a small niche, but I think you can make this sell.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
One of my wife's good friends owns a few 3D ultrasound locations. This sounds like a great addition to business like hers. Have you spoken with any ultrasound studios yet? Offer a couple some free samples. Test your product. Soon to be mothers pay big money for stuff like this. Get out there and get on the phone before someone else moves faster than you.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
When I read your idea, I was like "DAMN!!! That's a great idea!!" because I am sure that tons of women would absolutely go nuts for this. My business spider sense went off really strong on this idea. You better capitalize on this fast before other people start doing it. Eventually lots of companies will do this, so you need to exploit it as much as possible in the early stage.

ttoke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 10, 2013
Hey guys,

Thank you for the information! Luckily, we have some competence in 3D and business in general, our investor is the best private business school in the region with lots of connections and capital. We are currently negotiating with several clinics and other partners worldwide (UAE, Australia, Brazilia, India, UK), so far the feedback has been super positive.

I know that we have to move fast and we will. There have been lots of people trying to find a solution for this, but as far as I know, we are the first ones to do it. Do you think some parts of the process can be patentable?

What could be a reasonable retail price for the service? We are basically the first ones on the market so we set the price.

One of my wife's good friends owns a few 3D ultrasound locations. This sounds like a great addition to business like hers. Have you spoken with any ultrasound studios yet? Offer a couple some free samples. Test your product. Soon to be mothers pay big money for stuff like this. Get out there and get on the phone before someone else moves faster than you.

Wow, that's great! Do you think there is a chance we could talk to her to get her thoughts and offer potential cooperation?

If there is a way you can have people send you their ultrasounds, and you get them made and ship it to them, there could be a market online.

Can create a couple pages and send some traffic of women that are expecting to it and see if it converts.
Even though it'll be a small niche, but I think you can make this sell.

It is difficult to sell the service to end customers, because they need to understand the file and get it from their doctor etc.

Last edited:

ttoke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 10, 2013
Is this a 3D model of a unborn baby?

Even 3D ultrasounds can't picture a total complete baby without hiccups.

Check our website, we are not able to create a "full body" figurine, we use 3D ultrasound data (it is partial) and convert it and print it.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Great idea!

I had the idea of doing it with world of ward craft characters. the prices of a good machine is what kicked my a$$. Can't do that on a desktop 3D printer. I wish you good luck. Feel free to steal my idea.

Not too many people know about 3D printing, I would try to go to places where pregnant women are and talk to them directly and show them a prop of a plastic fetus

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I don't think this will be a small niche... it could turn out to be a very popular item, and it meshes well with the thousands of 3-D ultrasound locations that already exist (think DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM!). People are so emotional after they watch their babies on screen, and they are spending money on buying printed pictures... why not upsell a 3-D model of the baby to have forever and ever?

Medic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 18, 2012
I had that exact idea a couple years ago after we saw our own baby's face in 3D on the screen.
Great idea but nightmare issues with getting the 3D data from instrument vendors (even the hospitals have to access the data on vendor supplied reading stations). Then there's HIPPA and how you involve the sonographer in getting the patient to pay out of pocket for their model.

Much richer pickings in prosthetics. Good luck.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Here's two ideas that might help you sell:
  • Team up with pro-life organizations. Give them a discount and convince them to offer this service for free to women that are considering abortion.
  • Market it as a great gift for grandparents. If the family hasn't told their parents yet that they're pregnant, then a sculpture in the mail could be a good way to surprise them.

Also: Congratulations on the press coverage. Out of curiosity, how are you guys managing to get so much press?

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
How's this going along?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hey, your idea was in a Huggies commercial and just hit #1 on Reddit. If you're online, you should hop in there and try to capitalize on even more press than you had before.

O1ZX7nk.png

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
What part would you like to patten? The files the ultrasound generates? The software? The printing process? This doesn't sound patentable as your taking existing technology that many people already use the same process for hundreds of other things and applying it to someone else's ultrasounds. The 3d printing process isn't patenable.

It's actually already been tried and thankfully shot down, otherwise you wouldn't be able to do it without paying a fee to the holder.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.