The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't Rent to This Guy!

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/07/22/thinking-of-renting-out-your-house-avoid-these-people/

I did rent to this guy. About 3 years ago. I ended up suing him in court, won a judgment against him for $7,500, but you can imagine my success in collecting.

Yes I did a background check. But they gave false SSNs to me. I was still a little green at this landlord thing and did not verify with other means.

Recently I got in touch with a collection agency who wanted to see if they could get the money back. I googled my renter and found this article. When I went through h*ll with him, I called my lawyer and asked if I could splash his name all over the internet. My lawyer told me to let it go.

Now I'm thinking the best way to get back at a renter who screws you is to call the local news. Let them do a story on them. Then when other landlords are doing background checks on their tenants, they might google the story.

And for those in Minnesota - watch out for this family!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/07/22/thinking-of-renting-out-your-house-avoid-these-people/

I did rent to this guy. About 3 years ago. I ended up suing him in court, won a judgment against him for $7,500, but you can imagine my success in collecting.

Yes I did a background check. But they gave false SSNs to me. I was still a little green at this landlord thing and did not verify with other means.

Recently I got in touch with a collection agency who wanted to see if they could get the money back. I googled my renter and found this article. When I went through h*ll with him, I called my lawyer and asked if I could splash his name all over the internet. My lawyer told me to let it go.

Now I'm thinking the best way to get back at a renter who screws you is to call the local news. Let them do a story on them. Then when other landlords are doing background checks on their tenants, they might google the story.

And for those in Minnesota - watch out for this family!

Is that you in the news report?

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
No. I got screwed before any of the people in the news report did. I just wanted to post this to make it easier for potential landlords to learn about this guy and to let people know to do their due diligence before renting to someone.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Those people are swine. Funny how the guy's angry at the implication that he's some kind of deadbeat loser. Jeez. I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with them.

We have one rental house. It's virtually across the street from us. We used to do the landlord thing ourselves. Now we have a property manager. Worth every penny. We're currently building a new house and are debating renting out the one we're currently living in. But sometimes, I'm not sure I have the stomach for it. Reading stories like that definitely make me go, "hmmmm..."

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
This is sickening and the laws are backwards, way too many loopholes in the system for a low life bastard to get away with this. I have a couple properties rented, I took my time finding the tenants. I had a few who were scammers from a mile away and I wanted to literally kick them in the a$$ when I met them face to face. As a landlord you need to also do the due diligence required to find a quality tenants and not the first person who comes to your door.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
anyone else spot the need?

logged in to say this, but you beat me to it. how about a craigslist of landlords where landlords can look up tenants according to town, state, name, and give feedback on their tenancy?

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
I don't recommend it. but my uncle has a swift way of dealing with people like this. You wait outside the house in car with a few big guys. wait till everyone leaves...open the door, gut the entire house and throw all their shit on the curb. Change the locks and job done.

Very brutal but thats what you get when you push people.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Call it "crookbook".

Ha ha, love it.

logged in to say this, but you beat me to it. how about a craigslist of landlords where landlords can look up tenants according to town, state, name, and give feedback on their tenancy?

It's been a year or so, but I think someone on the inside had a progress thread that was doing just that. I don't think she discontinued the project after having government compliance issues.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Similar happened to a buddy of mine.

He wanted to rent out a place to get his toes wet in the real estate game. So he bought a second house, found a renter, and everything was solid for maybe 3 months. Then they stopped paying, started destroying the house, and there was very little my buddy could do. Took something ridiculous like 6-9 months to get them kicked out legally. Every time he would put in a complaint the renters would file a counter suit for something frivolous that would hold up the process like calling my buddy a slum lord or whatever that needed investigating before the eviction process could begin. They would also reschedule and postpone court dates and EVERYTHING they could do delay the move. They were real pros at this crap, knew exactly how to push the right buttons to not get kicked out.

Finally a judge ruled in my buddies favor and they were kicked out - but not before making the place nearly uninhabitable. Water damage, mold everywhere, holes in walls, everything.

It ended up costing my buddy so much that he had to rent out his primary residence and move into the slum house with his wife just so they had the time and money to fix the place back up.

Talk about an eye-opening first experience with renting...

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I don't recommend it. but my uncle has a swift way of dealing with people like this. You wait outside the house in car with a few big guys. wait till everyone leaves...open the door, gut the entire house and throw all their shit on the curb. Change the locks and job done.

Very brutal but thats what you get when you push people.

Except it's illegal without a writ and a sheriff present

michalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 27, 2015
yes you can always play stupid "I don't know this people, who are they I don't remember" and so on... at the end you will lose but who cares? If you rent it for someone else they can't kick out new tenants... Fine well get a good lawyer. Sometimes it's cheaper than let someone live 8 months in you flat for free.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
yes you can always play stupid "I don't know this people, who are they I don't remember" and so on... at the end you will lose but who cares?

Just remind me to do this first:

jump.gif

Sometimes it's cheaper than let someone live 8 months in you flat for free.

You really need to do your research.

Let me help you out: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2011/12/04/self-help-evictions-never-do-landlord/

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Man-charged-with-attempted-murder-in-forklift-attack/4812056

Last edited:

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Thats what conditional leases are for. All it takes is a few lines of type to make a bulletproof lease. Something along the lines of a year lease converting to a month by month lease in the event of rent over due for 10 days or longer. Cost of removal of property to a storage facility upon day 11 at the renters expense. (I've done the forced evictions before. Fun stuff and always a lowlife your throwing out.)

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Thats what conditional leases are for. All it takes is a few lines of type to make a bulletproof lease. Something along the lines of a year lease converting to a month by month lease in the event of rent over due for 10 days or longer. Cost of removal of property to a storage facility upon day 11 at the renters expense. (I've done the forced evictions before. Fun stuff and always a lowlife your throwing out.)

According to my state statute, that's impossible. A lease can be terminated with 3 months' notice in my state, but that makes an eviction more favorable anyways.

Also, the tenant can still overstay when the lease is over, and an eviction must be executed. You cannot avoid this.

Last edited:

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
The thing with contracts is if they agree to it and there is no law stipulating against it you can easily fight it out in court all the while you have your property rented out to someone who is paying rent. There are always loopholes to this including having your own building condemned because of the tenants. In most states tenant damage can be grounds for immediate eviction. Just have to know where the creative lines can be drawn. Worked for a property management company in MA for years. MA has the strictest anti landlord laws in the country. We had conditional leases that included as reasons for immediate termination of lease and surrender of keys: Arrest for felony, arrest for drug charges, DCF intervention , pets (all our properties were no pets allowed) , Failure to pay rent by the 15 of the month , Failure to provide proof of employment ,etc. This is common practice.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
In most states tenant damage can be grounds for immediate eviction.

According to what law? I just told you via the law in my state that a complaint must be filed prior to eviction. Also, in your state (MA), see below:

We had conditional leases that included as reasons for immediate termination of lease and surrender of keys: Arrest for felony, arrest for drug charges, DCF intervention , pets (all our properties were no pets allowed) , Failure to pay rent by the 15 of the month , Failure to provide proof of employment ,etc. This is common practice.

According to the MA statute,

"Generally, a landlord cannot simply take possession of the rental property, physically remove the tenant or their personal property, or change the locks."

Sure, I suppose the tenant can obey the lease and leave instantly. But my original argument was that an eviction is necessary if the tenant decides to stay. You can't simply kick the tenant out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.