The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why are you running away? 18-23 yr olds

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I have had this on my chest for a while. And I hear about it in my social circles.

I WAS LIKE THIS FOR A VERY LONG TIME

Now, this is not for the person who has been in the slowlane gerbil wheel for the past 10 years. This is not you. You need to light the fire and burn whole forests down

But its seems so many people (myself included, originally.) They come here saying something like

I don't need College OR even a 9-5. I will just become an entrepreneur [HASHTAG]#some[/HASHTAG] magic stuff will happen+ and BAM inviting MJ to dinner.

News flash hombre

if it hadn't of been for Mj's struggle we wouldn't have this exact forum.

If MJ just sat and watched paint dry.....then a wizard granted him wealth..well he would have prolly done what alot of broke folks do when they accumulate large amounts of wealth. Rapid wealth syndrome.

on this journey, this mecca if you will. You will bank on and use alot of learning processes and methods you learned from a day job. I think it was jack edwards who said "if you can't handle a 9-5, don't expect to excel at starting a business"

what do you know? at 18 when life starts really what do you know? Go to school. Go take classes that interest you. learn about yourself. Go work a job you hate that leaves a sour taste in your mouth each afternoon. Go work a job where you talk to people. JUST GO OUT and do THINGS. sitting at home saying I am the next mark cuban will not make that a fact.

You cannot ignore the small things, trivial things like working. Earning, Understanding.
i
For example. I thought I was going to be a hot shot salesman with life insurance. During that process I learned this really isn't for me. BUT I made connection, I learned a way to save money without alot of tax burden. I learned that older folks want to work with older folks. I learned every other conversation involved mortality, death, and money. Kinda depressing thing

This led me to leave that company, learn there are other companies, had me start my own company, provide a different process for customers than the one size fits all model I had learned. I also learned I wasn't passionate about life insurance and did it for the promise of a great pay day (shiny Object syndrome)

This led me to a job at a shipping center, Where I learned the major hubs of shipping, how to maneuver customs documents, how to work with people. (lots of little old people full, FULL of wisdom) It taught me dim weighting-----woah, parallel to importing? maybe. But it was learned in the TRENCHES of a 9-5! It can also be a very low impact job so bam read TMF 2 times. other books as well. AND I GET TO MAKE MONEY GOING TO ONLINE SCHOOL. payed for by my mom and dad!!!!

I am not trying to put out anyones fire. We are all here to get away from being chained to a desk and live on our own terms. But do not be afraid to get dirty and learn process. in essence learn what it is you do not want. You will be shocked at what you can learn from people. Learn from their mistakes and success. I have a bunch of PO box holders. From all expertise of many different industries. From venture capitalists. To landlords, to Real estate investors, To clients I have insured, To Apartment complex landlords/handymen. All willing to shed some light on the young eager 20 year old kid shipping their box. Not to mention the customer service I learned from working in the Rental car services getting them to Open up. I wouldn't have known to SHUT THE FU%# UP and let these experts mentor me. Get a load of that. "failing" at life insurance led me to a job with a "bank" of mentors. Fail forward

wrap it up. Go, be, do.. no one ever DECLARED themselves a FASTLANER/entrepreneur AND were really successful. NO college and no day job but BAM! super success.

without limo driving...would we ever had Mj's brain child.

I part with this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_APmyjLkC4Y

We all start out equal, little blobs of blood and muscle

from 17 to 18 to 22 to 24. You are just a little blob of blood and muscle...Thats it. Go out and crush some little weights before being an entrepreneur

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
While I agree with some of this post (just go out and f'ing do something) I found myself shaking my head "no" more than "yes."

The age range 18-24 is completely arbitrary. There are people at age 20 who have the insight of someone twice their age. And there are people at age 40 who have the insight of people half their age. It's completely dependent on the person. And being as we get a wide variety of people on this forum, from all ends of the spectrum, I really don't see the point of this thread.

The kids who sit around pretending they are Mark Cuban are time-wasters.
The kids who are actively fighting to break out of a slowlane lifestlye, and are taking action towards it, are not.

You seem to be lumping the two together and saying "Take some time, find yourself first, go take some classes, etc." For some, that may be valid advice, for others it couldn't be more wrong. And to say that this "advice" applies to all 18-24 year-olds is just a naive oversight.

This is the exact same thing as the people on this forum who have "the answer" as to whether or not they everyone else should go to college or quit their 9-5. No one can answer that for everyone, so it's best to just not try.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
le moi: 21. Don't have a job, and never plan to get one. Don't go to college, except when I pretend to be a student, show up to my friends' classes and create a ridiculous debate that interests/slash annoys the whole class. Full-blown entrepreneur right now, and expected magic to happen on a daily basis.

Don't take this as me trying to discredit you, because you actually make a good point, but I don't believe a 9-5 job or college gives you all the experience you need to do business. I believe life experience gives you value to be successful in business. Come from just about any walk of life, and you will gain experience. Just as we all come to terms with an experience the beauty of life in a unique way, we gain the wisdom needed to get us to where we want to be in life.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
I agree.

It is foolish to think you can survive without college and/or a job without even having a real business yet. Take advantage of the slowlane and milk it while you go through the inevitable struggles of starting a business.

However, once you actually start a business that is making money, you have already learned more than a professor in a lecture hall can teach you. Once you can support yourself off of your own business that you built from nothing, you are just wasting time at a 9-5 and school. Suddenly you have matured in the span of a few months and it is in your best interest to make your business a full time thing.

That's my plan, anyway.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Slowlane isn't a pre-requisite for fastlane, it can help but it can also hurt, it depends on the person.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
While I agree with some of this post (just go out and f'ing do something) I found myself shaking my head "no" more than "yes."

The age range 18-24 is completely arbitrary. There are people at age 20 who have the insight of someone twice their age. And there are people at age 40 who have the insight of people half their age. It's completely dependent on the person. And being as we get a wide variety of people on this forum, from all ends of the spectrum, I really don't see the point of this thread.

The kids who sit around pretending they are Mark Cuban are time-wasters.
The kids who are actively fighting to break out of a slowlane lifestlye, and are taking action towards it, are not.

You seem to be lumping the two together and saying "Take some time, find yourself first, go take some classes, etc." For some, that may be valid advice, for others it couldn't be more wrong. And to say that this "advice" applies to all 18-24 year-olds is just a naive oversight.

This is the exact same thing as the people on this forum who have "the answer" as to whether or not they everyone else should go to college or quit their 9-5. No one can answer that for everyone, so it's best to just not try.

of course this isn't for ALL people. It is for the people who find this place and start asking ideas. And asking for mentors, and asking for help. You are just a little baby in the entrepreneur world. You have to grow a little. I was like that when I found this forum. Hell I was like that while working for a fortune 500 company. And agreed. All stories and backgrounds and journeys to financial freedom are organic. No two are alike. Just don't sit and "brainstorm" and expect everything to fall into place.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
le moi: 21. Don't have a job, and never plan to get one. Don't go to college, except when I pretend to be a student, show up to my friends' classes and create a ridiculous debate that interests/slash annoys the whole class. Full-blown entrepreneur right now, and expected magic to happen on a daily basis.

Don't take this as me trying to discredit you, because you actually make a good point, but I don't believe a 9-5 job or college gives you all the experience you need to do business. I believe life experience gives you value to be successful in business. Come from just about any walk of life, and you will gain experience. Just as we all come to terms with an experience the beauty of life in a unique way, we gain the wisdom needed to get us to where we want to be in life.
College doesn't help doing business on almost all fronts. But you might learn a thing or two. Agreed. Life and all it entails is a much stricter teacher than most colleges.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Slowlane isn't a pre-requisite for fastlane, it can help but it can also hurt, it depends on the person.
This.

College doesn't help doing business on almost all fronts. But you might learn a thing or two. Agreed. Life and all it entails is a much stricter teacher than most colleges.
Yes, you learn a thing how to. You experience exactly how f*cked up the education system is, and why the "workforce" are a bunch of standardized genius of useless theoretical shit.
Yes, some subjects have some useful content, that you could learn on youtube in 2 hours.

To give a little context here, I went 1 year to Engineering School and 2 years on one of the best EU business schools.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
This.

Yes, you learn a thing how to. You experience exactly how f*cked up the education system is, and why the "workforce" are a bunch of standardized genius of useless theoretical shit.
Yes, some subjects have some useful content, that you could learn on youtube in 2 hours.

To give a little context here, I went 1 year to Engineering School and 2 years on one of the best EU business schools.
Sure, Big super school or university for the "college life" complete waste of time.

community college learning real estate for a tenth of what those classes would be at a huge school? Might want to take advantage of that opportunity.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Sure, Big super school or university for the "college life" complete waste of time.

community college learning real estate for a tenth of what those classes would be at a huge school? Might want to take advantage of that opportunity.

You're making a bunch of assumptions there.
Here in Portugal you have public and private universities. And we don't have that USA college life. People are actually trying to learn stuff and do something with their lives (at the top GPA univs) , they are just being fed with useless theoretical stuff.

All the schools I mentioned are Public and are considered the best ones. The other public schools are just an easier version of what's going on at the top GPA ones. (1000€ yearly tuition)
Private schools I don't know how they are but they aren't much different, they just don't ask for your GPA. 500€/monthly

Anyway, my point isn't that you can't extract some value of some other class, my point is, most people spend 3-5 years of their life thinking they are getting valuable skills, when they are not.

Last edited:

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
You're making a bunch of assumptions there.
Here in Portugal you have public and private universities. And we don't have that USA college life. People are actually trying to learn stuff and do something with their lives, they are just being fed with useless theoretical stuff.

All the schools I mentioned are Public and are considered the best ones. The other public schools are just an easier version of what's going on at the top GPA ones. (1000€ yearly tuition)
Private schools I don't know how they are but they aren't much different, they just don't ask for your GPA. 500€/monthly

Anyway, my point isn't that you can't extract some value of some other class, my point is, most people spend 3-5 years of their life thinking they are getting valuable skills, when they are not.
ah....yes there is definitely a gap since the two countries are so different. The Vast amount of American young people go to a big college, usually paid for in loans, or at the mercy of their parents. To party more than study and receive a degree in a market already so saturated with other people just like them with degrees they end up working retail. For sure very different cultures and ways of getting ahead. Most people. The real party kids take 5 YEARS just to graduate and get started. It enables you very much so. imagine doing what you did at a place that doesn't promise a job of any kind for 5 years. What a waste of time.

I hear Portugal is a gorgeous place.

Zachariah Lange

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Feb 7, 2015
Southeast Wisconsin, US
I mostly agree, but never limit yourself by not learning from experience. Set big goals, if you don't reach them don't dwell, figure out what it taught you and move forward. There is always added value when you're learning.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I mostly agree, but never limit yourself by not learning from experience. Set big goals, if you don't reach them don't dwell, figure out what it taught you and move forward. There is always added value when you're learning.
Yes of course. Life is the greatest teacher. Learning is the same thing as progression.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.