The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why This Fishbowl Is The Reason You're Not Making Money.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
The Fishbowl Theory

Does a Fish know what water is? Does a Fish know that it’s in a fish bowl?

No. It does not.
It has no clue that it lives in limited existence, which just an inch outside, a massive expanse of unlimited experiences, cultures, emotions and opportunity lie unadulterated.
Ready to be explored, conquered and mastered.

(And if you’re worried about “but then what?” ..There is always a bigger fishbowl to conquer ;) )

Unless you’ve conquered your situation to the point where you have absolute freedom of time, money and mind, and no longer live in the monotonous, repetitive grind, then you, my friend, are quite possibly stuck in the Fishbowl.

If you catch yourself wondering, “Damn, there has to be more.”
If other people that are situated close to you start affecting your decisions. “Damn, what will Neighbour JoeBlow down the road think?”
If you’re ever feeling stuck, but comfortable also. “Damn, I don’t have the answers, but I know people are doing it. Just don’t know how.”

This has been the case with me, you and others. Especially if you’re reading this.

A lot of time, in search for answers, instead of going out and expanding our ‘fish bowl’, we tend to delve deeper into our already limited situation for answers.

But right outside, there is a MASSIVE world out there. More than me or you or anyone will ever be able to fully conquer.
UNLIMITED opportunity, VAST knowledge, INCOMPREHENSIBLE amount of personalities, places, money, projects, businesses, experiences.

The world is so big, it's nuts. And You Are FREE To Be Anywhere You Want.

So why do we stick in one place? and not go for the gold ?! If all it takes is to step out of out comfort zone a bit and just try to find what we're looking for?

Fear. Our minds are wired to take the path of least resistance, and created false images of 'failure' if we do it. The only failure is NOT taking any risks, and staying the same, year after year until you're dead.

I usually just remind myself, "Hey, if you mess it up, it's cool. There is no failure, only feedback. I'll chalk it up to the learning experience."

All you have to realize is, if you mess up, it will RARELY ever affect you a couple weeks from now. If you win, it'll change your life forever. +EV play all day.

I actually just arrived back in Canada from from Affiliate Summit in Vegas and I’ll tell you, being around quality people that are doing massively better than I am really inspired me.
Standing around a guy who did 120 Million dollars in sales for multiple top level brands, another person who sells $100,000/day.
One guy went out of his way to introduce me to people that have the exact traffic I’ve been looking for.
Another girl introduced me to some people that are working on similar projects as me, and have huge intel and invited me to some meetings I had no idea were going on in my city.

The biggest issue you face is, “You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know.”

Being around people like that is amazing.
It changes you. It opens you up to different ways of thinking you would’ve never thought. Gives you insight on new ideas, how the guys at the top are thinking.
If you can think like them, you will act like them. If you act like them and make the same decisions as them, you will get similar results.

All because I decided to get out of the fishbowl, take a jump and see what experiences I can rack up.
Time to get out of the fishbowl, go explore! Expand your mindset, experience and knowledge! It will pay for itself in the long-term.

So, my advice?...PICK UP THE F*ckING PHONE!
..Make the call!
...GO to the events!
...Find the people!
...Develop the relationships!

Some questions to ask yourself…

-How many times have you gone travelling in the last year to places and around people that are conducive to your dream? To your business goals?

-Who are the people that are way ahead of you at what you want to do? Did you get around any of them?
-Develop any relationships? Help them in any way?

-How many times did you get out of your comfort zone and reach for something bigger? Take a chance to jump outside your fishbowl?

….When is the next time you will jump outside your fishbowl this year to get around the people you need to?

-Where will you find these people? How can you help them?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Totally true, letting go of comfort of my own limited perception and thinking outside of what I thought was enough is what changed everything for me, great reminder Silverhawk851!

FLexitee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 13, 2015
Southern California
I completely agree with the fishbowl theory @Silverhawk851 thank you for this thread. I have been living proof of this up until I came across the fastlane theory. Now it's all about exploring the unlimited opportunities and capitalizing on every moment to make this life the once in a lifetime opportunity that it really is. Some truly great content there bud.

-Mike

1up

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 11, 2014
Australia (Adelaide)
I love the mindset silverhawk851, my mindset was what you would call a fishbowl. But over the last year it has been a massive discovery that the invisible ceiling that was holding me back is actually just my old belief system and now I realise that anything and everything is possible "if" you want it enough.
You just have to reach out and go for it.
Thanks for the reminder!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I had to break the fishbowl and swim out into the ocean! :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, almost missed this post. Rep+

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
howdy boys? hows the water? says the older fish to the younger fish.

sounds like a plan man. especially to get away from my crippling, limited, small scope parents. I love em to bits but they are....well...comfortable. I do not want to be comfortable.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great post @Silverhawk851. Thanks for writing that up.

I rarely make events or meetups now-a-days. I should make more of an effort. Just getting to see that I'm in a fishbowl would be worth the price and effort. Thanks.

G

GuestUser113

My muscles couldn't keep up with my bones, and my bones couldn't keep up with my body’s ambition. So I spent the better part of three years confined to my bed, with the World Book Encyclopedia being my only means of exploration. I had made it all the way to the “G’s,” hoping to find an answer to my gigantificationism, when I uncovered an article about the common goldfish.

“Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”

It occurred to me then, that perhaps the reason for my growth was that I was intended for larger things. After all, a giant man can’t have an ordinary-sized life. -

Ed Bloom via Big Fish

Last edited by a moderator:

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I've been thinking about this EXACT thing all week and have been trying to come up with an analogy in my head, a fishbowl is PERFECT. Great post!

D

DeletedUser394

My muscles couldn't keep up with my bones, and my bones couldn't keep up with my body’s ambition. So I spent the better part of three years confined to my bed, with the World Book Encyclopedia being my only means of exploration. I had made it all the way to the “G’s,” hoping to find an answer to my gigantificationism, when I uncovered an article about the common goldfish.

“Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”

It occurred to me then, that perhaps the reason for my growth was that I was intended for larger things. After all, a giant man can’t have an ordinary-sized life.

for those wondering, this is an exact quote from the movie Big Fish. Decent film.

Quote your sources brah.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.