The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[UPDATE] One Simple Idea's Stephen Key Webinar & Upcoming Call

Idea threads

Semmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2014
Canary Islands, Spain
We also interviewed him here :

http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/m...ss/mind-your-business-3-stephen-key-25538287/

and you could add that to your pre-call review materials.

Wow, I actually just learned that I indeed used the trademark correctly so far in the past in that call. Yes I am listening to it now and after that the sample class of Stephen Key afterwards, but its going towards 2am :) so I have to focus :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Semmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2014
Canary Islands, Spain
I went ahead and bought Stephen Keys new ebook "Getting In!" http://www.inventright.com/getting-in

So this helpful ebook is like a mini-coaching for under $20 - it is your handbook how to get your first calls going to companies and introducing yourself the right way. Very helpful and another step toward getting live coaching if you want. With this you have no excuse not getting started - even if you do not have an idea yet!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So simple yet genius. I'm excited for today.

Yea, pretty cool. Definitely gets your creative juices going... a right-brainer's dream! One hour till start time!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
All good here.

GUTTA BOB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Mar 11, 2012
All good here.

14 traits of a successful inventor/product developer... good stuff.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Great webinar. Lots of useful info. Didn't know about the Tim Ferriss connection.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Stephen & Andrew:

Absolutely fantastic call. Great info and I loved the little presentation at the beginning.

Thank you so much for your time (and I know what Youtube videos I'll be watching in my free time for a while), and Fastlaners - great questions. Thanks to you too. :)

Semmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2014
Canary Islands, Spain

Bosstradamus

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Dec 22, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
here's my question that wasn't answered:
Q: is buying a trade association directory recommended in order to find associations and contract manufacturers?

PS
Thank you Ted

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Last edited by a moderator:

Aktion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 16, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
I had an unanswered question(s) that I'll drop here.

What if I don't know the best/most efficient way to design/engineer my product idea? Is is appropriate to send a sales sheet to a company showing the design and purpose of the product, but relying on their staff to figure out how it would be done or to improve on it? (Assuming the company even likes the idea).

Thank you to all who made this webinar possible. It was fun listening in and I personally learned a lot.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Minnesota snow kept me on the road for the first 13.5 slides...Is there a recording of the webinar?

14 Traits
1. Don't fall in love with your ideas. They aren't your kids - you need to come up with a bunch of them, and be able to let go of them if they aren't going to work.
2. Test your ideas. Seek proof of demand ASAP (sell sheet, make it with computer gfx on elance and send it out to potential people). Test the market's interest in the idea before wasting your time.
3. Keep your ideas to yourself. The only person that matters is the person you're showing the idea to - they are the ones creating it.
4. Know how to use intellectual property to protect ideas - copyrights, trademarks, patents - just a lawyer isn't enough. You need to know it yourself.
5. Don't file patents right away - go with provisional patents. Save a bunch of money if the idea doesn't get rented,and lasts a year. $65 compared to $1000s.
6. Stick to one industry - create relationships, become an expert in that industry.
7. Attend the right trade shows/seminars.www.entrepreneur.com/article/234181 Just walk it - get to meet everyone and see everyone's booth. Good way to get info about other products and let them know about you
8. Outsource. Find the guys that can make you look good - let the ones that do graphics for a living make your graphics. Hire professionals and talent when you can.
9. Know it's up to you. It's your idea, you are your own strongest advocate.
10. Have a sense of urgency. It's a long process - you need to start as soon as possible. So easy to get comfortable and lazy. You need to get momentum.
11. Be persistent. You'll get rejected hundreds of times. Ask questions to figure out what went wrong and try again.
12. Don't let emotions betray you. It's business - not personal. Be calm, keep emotions in check.
13. Don't be afraid to fail.
14. Always be learning. Read books, blogs, mentors, coaches, etc.

They will be posting a recording as well at some point.

G

GuestUser113

Found this while reading Stephen Key interview by Tim Ferriss.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2007/11...ur-ideas-to-fortune-500-companies-plus-video/
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2007/11...00-companies-part-ii-plus-hacking-japan-tips/

gFqdnJY.jpg

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
here's my question that wasn't answered:
Q: is buying a trade association directory recommended in order to find associations and contract manufacturers?

PS
Thank you Ted

Hi. I've been able to find that information out without having to pay for a directory. (I believe in most cases you would have to become a member to access that sort of information.) However, if you are thinking about attending a trade show, I highly recommend that you call the trade association and ask to see a list of the exhibitors. That's basically the directory, anyway. Does that answer your question? If not, let me know.

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
I had an unanswered question(s) that I'll drop here.

What if I don't know the best/most efficient way to design/engineer my product idea? Is is appropriate to send a sales sheet to a company showing the design and purpose of the product, but relying on their staff to figure out how it would be done or to improve on it? (Assuming the company even likes the idea).

Thank you to all who made this webinar possible. It was fun listening in and I personally learned a lot.

This is a great question. If you want to license an idea, you will need to understand how it could possibly be manufactured. Learning about manufacturing is so important! You will be able to prevent a lot of further problems down the road if you do. However, in terms of timing, it’s a balancing act. Why would you spend a lot of time studying up on how to manufacture a specific product before you know if there is even any interest in the idea? When I submit a sell sheet to a potential licensee, I stick strictly to the benefit of my idea—not how it works, not how it will be made. Later on, if a company shows interest in the idea, I’ll ask them to sign an NDA. Then we will discuss manufacturing. At that point, you will need to be knowledgeable. Because what you discover about manufacturing you should also include in your PPA. Good ways of learning about manufacturing processes include watching YouTube videos, hiring an engineer to help you (make sure that person signs an NDA and a work-for-hire agreement), and going for a tour in a manufacturing facility. Never plan on relying on the company to figure it out for you. In other words, if you ask them to figure it out, they will own the idea.

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
UPDATE #2
UPDATE #2
UPDATE #2

Learn how to license your ideas for royalties and get big companies working for you!

Successful Inventor Stephen Key and inventRight Co-Founder Andrew Krauss
will be doing an hour of Q&A just for Fastlane members on...

Tuesday, February 3rd.

• 3pm Pacific Time
  • 4pm Mountain Time
  • 5pm Central Time
  • 6pm Eastern Time
Watch their full one hour video on the fastlane below Then attend the Q&A
session on February 3rd to ask any any question you may have about
licensing your ideas for royalties.

Please register at the link below:
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5698370007891780353

Watch the video above, take notes and prepare your questions for the upcoming call!

==================================================

We are fortunate to have Stephen Key (@StephenKey) host an upcoming Q&A conference call for our Fastlane Forum community!

Many thanks goes out to @TedM for helping get this all set up. Thanks Ted! :tiphat:

Stephen Key is the author of One Simple Idea: Turn Your Dreams into a Licensing Goldmine While Letting Others Do the Work.

He has successfully licensed more than 20 simple ideas that have generated billions of dollars of revenue. His “10 Steps to Bring Your Idea to Market” course, which can be found at www.inventright.com, has attracted more than 10,000 students around the world.

Turn your one simple idea into millions—without lifting a finger!
“Ever heard of Teddy Ruxpin or Lazer Tag? Both have Stephen Key’s mark on them. He is the Yoda or ‘renting’ ideas for serious passive income. From how-to to war stories, this is a great book.”
—Tim Ferriss, author of The 4-Hour Workweek

“Mr. Key’s brilliance, wisdom, and insight will make you rich. Buy this book!”
—Mark Victor Hansen, bestselling author and co-creator of the Chicken Soup for the Soul® series

“Stephen Key turns conventional inventing ‘wisdom’ on its head and clearly outlines how anyone can earn a meaningful income with One Simple Idea.”
—Tamara Monosoff, founder of Mom Invented® and author of The Mom Inventors Handbook andYour Million Dollar Dream

The developer of such lucrative products as Michael Jordan’s WallBall®, the Spinformation® rotating label, and HotPicks® guitar picks, he knows better than anyone how to make a great living as an entrepreneur. Key develops ideas for new products, licenses them out, collects royalty checks, and doesn’t look back. You can do it, too. All you need is One Simple Idea.

Stephen Key is a successful award-winning inventor and entrepreneur. A holder of over thirteen patents, Stephen's products have sold in Wal-Mart, 7 Eleven, Disney Stores and theme parks worldwide and have been endorsed by basketball great Michael Jordan and Jeopardy host Alex Trebek. Stephen's innovative Spinformation rotating label has been licensed for use on many products including a product called Accudial. Accudial shows parents how to dose their child's liquid medication by weight versus traditional age, making it more accurate. Stephen is also a member of the Board of Directors of Accudial Pharmaceuticals. Accudial is the recipient of the Product of the Year Award for Canada as well as a finalist in the 2011 Edison Awards.

Recognized as an outstanding leader in the field of innovation, Stephen has appeared on national television numerous times, including an appearance on the CNBC show "The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch" and as an expert guest on "Dr. Phil". Stephen has been interviewed by national magazines, newspapers, and authors such as Tim Ferris ("The 4-Hour Work Week") and Donny Deutsch ("The Big Idea"). Stephen was also a consultant on the first season of the hit ABC reality TV show "American Inventor", created by Simon Cowell. Stephen was a keynote speaker at the US Patent & Trademark Office 14th Annual Independent Inventor Conference in November 2009.

Along with business partner Andrew Krauss, Stephen co-founded inventRight, a company dedicated to educating inventors, entrepreneurs, or anyone with an idea the necessary steps to build wealth through licensing. Stephen is also the licensing and inventing expert at AllBusiness.com (A Dun & Bradstreet Company).

@MJ DeMarco @Vigilante

Hey guys! I really enjoyed the forum. What a smart, insight group.

Please check out the recording if you like:

We have other videos on YouTube that may be helpful to you as well: https://www.youtube.com/user/InventRightTV

Best, Stephen

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.