The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Disciple's Progress Thread

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
So, how to start this off?

Like many here, I'm sure, I decided to join because I read through Held for Ransom's thread. Truth be told, I never doubted that there was a market in writing. My problem for being late into the game was that I believed the entry to be much higher. See, I am one of those people who, technologically speaking, lives under a rock. My ignorance kept me out of it, and if I had taken so much as a minute to check up on actual barriers as opposed to ones I believed existed, I'd have gotten into this much sooner.

I will be working into this from the ground up, before square one. I do not have the means (currently) to outsource anything. I do not have the means to purchase stock images. I have my writing, and I'll likely have to make my covers from scratch. I have no experience with the markets. I'll be going at this blind and honestly, I think I just might prefer it that way. As far as I figure, the more screw-ups I make now mean better learning for later.

So, a little back story.

The majority of the writing I did was back in middle and high school. It was often for a grade, but I was often told by teachers and peers alike that they enjoyed my imagery. A few friends often requested stories, and I'd often comply. One time I made one up on the spot, and she liked it enough to suggest that I get into writing professionally, since I could use the money and she seemed to enjoy it.

Again, as before, I thought getting started would involve more traditional means through talking to publishers. Without any real information on the whole ebook craze, or things such as phones, Kindles and the like, I decided, instead, to do nothing.

I have done an awful lot of nothing, however. At least six years of it. No job. No income. Tons of apathy. However, I am planning on turning the consequences of this into something beneficial. To say I have free time is an understatement. I have, easily, upwards of 12 hours of free time every day that doesn't consist of the most basic household chores, sleep and various other necessities.

Plan
1. Write a lot.
2. Pen name for secrecy.
3. Prepare for a long road. From what I can tell, it takes many around a year or more to start getting the ball rolling. I have plenty of time to dedicate to this.
4. Religious documentation. That which gets evaluated gets improved. This includes the eventual math on finding out just how much I can get done in a day.

Problems

1. It's been a long time since I have done any fiction writing / reading.
2. As I have never been employed, I am incredibly ignorant about banking.
- Is it a requirement to have a business account?
- Will a regular checking account suffice?
- Will I need one of each?
- Is there any benefit to one over the other?
- Are banks necessarily required to be accessed in person?
- Can I handle all of this electronically without having to physically access a bank?
3. Perfectionism. I am prone to writing a paragraph or two, and then spending days trying to "make it perfect." I'm almost certain that even the original drafts wouldn't cause any real complaint, yet I make this a repeating problem all the same.
4. Taxes. Especially since I've never had a job, I will have to (eventually) learn how to handle this at some point down the road. This also includes that I've heard that medical insurance will be required here in the states, and I'm completely unaware of how to deal with that either.

Goal: Financial independence. However, I do not know yet where that line is. Aside from living expenses, taxes and insurance, I really am at a loss. Being able to move out and live on my own is the primary goal right now.

So, here goes nothing!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Problem 1 - Start writing.
Problem 2 - Financial stuff based on US residency. A regular bank account will work. You can open an account in a local bank branch and do almost everything else from ATMs and onlline. You can also use an entirely online bank.
Problem 3 - idk
Problem 4 - Most people don't worry about this in beginning. I'm not but already have insurance. Find an personal accountant and ask. How do you find an accountant? Ask everyone you know how they do their taxes. The ones that use an accountant usually like them. I have used the same guy for about 4 years and will continue. His advice has saved me thousands.

Last edited:

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Problem 1 - Start writing.
Problem 2 - Financial stuff based on US residency. A regular bank account will work. You can open an account in a local bank branch and do almost everything else from ATMs and onlline. You can also use an entirely online bank. open an online account
Problem 3 - idk
Problem 4 - Most people don't worry about this in beginning. I'm not but already have insurance. Find an personal accountant and ask. How do you find an accountant? Ask everyone you know how they do their taxes. The ones that use an accountant usually like them. I have used the same guy for about 4 years and will continue. His advice has saved me thousands.
1. That's the plan.
2. Thank you. I'll ask around, see if any friends of mine know anything.
3. The plan to this one was your reply to the first problem. Just write.
4. Thank you. Will look into that. I think there's also an opt out feature, but I am trying to keep this whole thing as quiet as possible for as long as possible without legal / tax interference.

Thank you for your answers, though. The second one is an incredible help.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
So earlier this morning I sent out some messages to some people I knew about banks. I asked about three things.
1. Whether or not they're going to send me a debit card / box of checks or not. As I am trying to keep this as quiet as possible, getting mail would bring questions. Especially if it involves anything that could be related to money.
2. No minimum balance required. As I'm starting from zero, this would be a problem.
3. No monthly fees.
4. History of usage in the family. This is largely for the sake of credibility on the bank's part. If a bunch of people are using it without any problems, I assume it's going to be safe.
5. Whether or not I'd have to physically go to said bank.

Onto the words. I find that I'm far more prone to distraction than I thought I was. I managed 665 words today. I'll have to find new ways of addressing this problem in the future. I am assuming that this may be easily remedied from simply choosing to work offline, and disabling the computer's network card.

So, I'm off to a rough start. My lack of discipline is showing, but I'm certain that this will develop more over time as I stick to this. For now, I'll take comfort in knowing that I have written 665 words more than I have over the last several years.

Tomorrow I'll do better.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
I made a typo in the reply to problem 2. The last the sentence should not have said open an online account. Either one will do.

It sounds like you do not want anyone at your place of residence to know anything. That is fine. I have what is referred to as Personal Mail Box (PMB). It is like a PO box but rented from a private entity instead of the US govt. Most will accept the mail with a street address and and apartment number or suite number. As far as everyone on I do anything with is concerned, I live at this box. All my mail goes there. My driver's license has that address. My car registration and insurance use that address. The best part is someone is there during business hours to receive my packages.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
I made a typo in the reply to problem 2. The last the sentence should not have said open an online account. Either one will do.
Thanks for the clarification.

It sounds like you do not want anyone at your place of residence to know anything. That is fine.
That would be correct.

I have what is referred to as Personal Mail Box (PMB). It is like a PO box but rented from a private entity instead of the US govt. Most will accept the mail with a street address and and apartment number or suite number. As far as everyone on I do anything with is concerned, I live at this box. All my mail goes there. My driver's license has that address. My car registration and insurance use that address. The best part is someone is there during business hours to receive my packages.
Thanks for that information. I'll keep that in mind. Though right now, I'm not assuming I'll be getting any physical mail for some time yet.

And with that said, back to work for me. That book isn't going to be writing itself.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
597 words today.

I feel as if I used the holiday as an excuse to slack off. I really need to start getting my self together.

There is an incredibly strong lack of planning, however. I have completely pulled this entire story out of my rear end, with no real direction with where this is going. Likewise, I do not exactly have a financial goal yet. Perhaps I would be better off with something far more concrete in mind aside from, "Move out. Financial independence." So that could attribute to my problem of being distracted.

Time for bed now, however. Perhaps going after some morning oil tomorrow would be beneficial in getting some stuff done. I have been trying to get up at 6 AM every day for almost two months now, with poor success. Any ideas?

As for the bank, I have one in mind, but am going to wait another 3 days, just in case something better pops up. I still have until the book has been created before I need one, so this should be plenty of time.

Well, that's it for tonight.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Assuming my math is correct, I did even worse today with my word count. I don't think I like the story just yet, however. Too fast? Or perhaps I just don't care for the wording. Oh well. Write. Write. Write.

However, in search of helping find a way to fix this problem, I have found a suggestion here on the forums utilizing an extension called "StayFocused," which will block various sites for a period of time. So, I have it set to block the usual. Facebook, Twitter, and even this site, for a portion of the day. For now, I think the only way I can even possibly get sidetracked now would be to either start visiting sites I do not currently visit, or by sleeping away the rest of my alloted work time.

I did manage to wake up at 6 AM today, so perhaps this is a good sign on getting back into that habit.

Not much else to report.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Assuming my math is correct, I did even worse today with my word count. I don't think I like the story just yet, however. Too fast? Or perhaps I just don't care for the wording. Oh well. Write. Write. Write.

However, in search of helping find a way to fix this problem, I have found a suggestion here on the forums utilizing an extension called "StayFocused," which will block various sites for a period of time. So, I have it set to block the usual. Facebook, Twitter, and even this site, for a portion of the day. For now, I think the only way I can even possibly get sidetracked now would be to either start visiting sites I do not currently visit, or by sleeping away the rest of my alloted work time.

I did manage to wake up at 6 AM today, so perhaps this is a good sign on getting back into that habit.

Not much else to report.
I'm going to keep it real, I've seen this time and time again on here. Your not going to make it saying I keep having bad days then having more. It's obvious you don't want it bad enough and you will fail if you keep this going.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
I'm going to keep it real, I've seen this time and time again on here. Your not going to make it saying I keep having bad days then having more. It's obvious you don't want it bad enough and you will fail if you keep this going.
As strange as this may sound, I know this. I currently don't care much about anything. I am trying to change this. I am going to force myself to care. I am setting myself straight. All I can do at this point is improve.
________

That said, today's progress so far.

Once again, I managed to wake up at 6. Feeling pretty good about this.

I have added the exercise from the "Idea Machine" thread to my routine. Technically, I started three days ago. I am hoping to utilize this to start getting the creative juices flowing.

I figured out what I disliked about the story. The pacing was off. Various actions of the characters didn't make any sense and I was unable to think of how to progress it properly. So I deleted it and began rewriting. I am not up to 1754 words after reworking it.

I'm still finding myself distracted. I edited the settings for the app I mentioned previously. It now blocks every website that isn't Google. After a quick test, I can still perform searches, but clicking on any of the links blocks the result. Keeping Google active as I am using Google Drive as my text editor. StayFocusd is quite merciless. I have a feeling, that considering the progress I've made today, it's going to end up quite instrumental.

I'll work on it more later, but tomorrow I want to see if I can maintain 2000 words at a minimum. I would like to be working at least past 3000 minimum by the third of January.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
I managed to break past 2000 words in one day! It only took the majority of my time.

I have five days until the January second, which means I should increase my total words written up by 200 a day to reach the 3000 minimum I set forth as a goal yesterday. A little more rewriting had to be done, but it was just the removal of a few lines, not a complete rewrite as yesterday was.

After I reach the 3000, I think I should then work on decreasing the time it takes to actually finish those words. The faster I get done, the better, at this point.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Goal: 2200 words written today.

Success!

Not much else to write, other than I still have to work on how to manage getting the words written faster, which I'm sure will come later through practice and time.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Today, I hit 2400 words. I was impressed by how fast I got around to it today. Yesterday it took me nearly 12 hours of on and off procrastination. Today, it took me over half of that.

So far, it really is the discipline to sit and focus on the writing that is getting to me hardest. Even though the time frame is varying, it is really something else to see the numbers accumulating on my word count. It is, however, disheartening to see that these are being done much later in the evening, as opposed to earlier in the morning, which would be my preference.

Still, at this point, any improvement is certainly more than welcome.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Wow! Today was some pretty amazing progress. Here I thought I was going slowly, but today, I have apparently hit almost 3,300 words. This is even after editing a few scenes from yesterday. I actually thought I was doing very poorly today, and yet, I did way more than I had expected myself to do.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
I will shortly be up to my word count for the day, but I suppose I'll be following on the bandwagon and post up a few things in regards to the new year that started well over a dozen hours ago.

In regards to what @ChasingPaper mentioned earlier, there is a point in what he said. It's not just my discipline, I believe a part of me really cares very little in regards to this whole experiment. There could be any number of reasons, but I really must figure out my deeper motivations if I'm going to make any improvement whatsoever. I'm sure it's quite apparent to some of you that my why is fairly week.

Writing Goals for 2015

As I am just starting, I am going to keep this very simple. I want to create a minimum of 4 books this year, and have the lot of them up and ready to go. That would be one a season. I may just create more than this, but four will be my minimum for now.

There are no money goals at this point. In all honesty, anything would be better than nothing. I'll get around to that once I can prove to myself that I have the ability to keep at this.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
So, I have been quiet for the last few days, and I figured I should put up a legitimate reason as to why.

Upon reflection from a few of the other posts, along with some reading I have done among the forum and elsewhere, that not only should I build up my writing, but I need to work on getting myself in order as well. Sounds simple enough, but it's something that I've been overlooking, or at the least, ignoring, for some time now.

I'm still working on the book, of course. I am simply changing how my day is scheduled around it, making it far more important while placing it into the most productive part of my day.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Are you doing fiction or non-fiction? I honestly never thought about short stories, if the former.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Are you doing fiction or non-fiction? I honestly never thought about short stories, if the former.
I'm doing fiction now, I do at least 5,000 words a story. I do have a couple non fiction books out though, to get a couple steady sales a week. But I'm about to pump out fiction like a factory this month.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Just letting you all know that I'm still around, though quiet. I should be done with my first project by the end of the week, and will be able to upload it once completed and a quick skim for edits.

I have migrated from Google Drive for editing and am now using Microsoft Word now. Helps keep everything offline so I am less distracted.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
A few days off from expected, but I have, today, finished my first book! At this point, I don't even care if it sells, simply knowing that I can actually complete one is euphoric.

Today I will finish editing out spelling or grammar mistakes and creating the cover.

Still looking into a bank, however. But should be up and running around Friday.

I have a bunch of old ideas I scrapped ages ago for books as well, simply because I didn't think I could finish. So I will end up going back to these and create them.

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
A few days off from expected, but I have, today, finished my first book! At this point, I don't even care if it sells, simply knowing that I can actually complete one is euphoric.

Today I will finish editing out spelling or grammar mistakes and creating the cover.

Still looking into a bank, however. But should be up and running around Friday.

I have a bunch of old ideas I scrapped ages ago for books as well, simply because I didn't think I could finish. So I will end up going back to these and create them.

While I'm sure there's a long road ahead to get measurable success, you've gotten out of the starting gate, and that's pretty big. Congrats!

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
While I'm sure there's a long road ahead to get measurable success, you've gotten out of the starting gate, and that's pretty big. Congrats!
Thanks! I just have a few last minute bits I'm still working on. From what I can tell, I it will be until at least the 21st of February before it can be uploaded.

So for now, I'll finish my last bits of formatting and editing of the one I just finished, work on the cover and then from there I'll work on the next book. Gotta make sure I don't start to slack off just because I finished the one.

Start. Finish. Repeat.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Well, the bank I applied for fell through. Back to the drawing board.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Banking with Simple, has been great for me. www.Simple.com
Hmm. I love the name of the site first off. I tried with Ally, which seems to be a similar style, but Ally told me that they could not verify my identity.

Concerned that the same might happen here as well.

It seems they give you a Visa card, so I suppose that's how I'd connect it to my Amazon?

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Bank account set up.

Now waiting on Amazon to do it's thing.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
And with that, I go from having problems with the bank account to an issue with Amazon! They are apparently having an issue verifying my location as well.

So much waiting. Bah!

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
So, Amazon is still giving me hell. They want me to fax them some documents, but I do not have a scanner, or access to one.

Still trying, but I don't know what to do if they won't accept a fax of a photo.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.