The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Project... product perfection. My journal:

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Your mail exchanges sound like Victorian love letters.
He seems to have his heart in the right place, just lacking the assertiveness to speak clearly. If you want to keep him, make it clear that you don't want any F*cking sweet talk, but facts. Can he do the job? Is there a problem that's F*cking things up? Tell me in one F*cking line, don't write me a romance novel.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
He wants out man.......but he's just trying to do it in a nice way. Cut the chord move on. He will slow you down or "worse"

BlueAtom

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 17, 2015
My father is a electronics engineer, by hobby anyway. I've seen him build some pretty cool things, he taught me how to make printed circuit boards and things about plastic molding. I mess around with Arduino mainly. Not that we know anything about taking something to market, but do about prototyping. Dont know if that is relvelant in this case, just wanted to mention that.

Robbypz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 25, 2013
Kansas City
Just a thought here. If your circuit boards need to be shockproof, there could be a simple solution of just encasing them in a resin inside a small enclosure. I did this for a motorcycle amplifier design for Indian Motorcycles and it worked extremely well.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Thnaks guys, yeah we pretty much handledthe shock proof issue, but we don't truly know until we make the prototype and test the crap out it.

NObrien

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 29, 2015
Looks like a good project. I stumbled upon your other thread and ended up reading all of that and this one too. All the best with your project. If you have any trouble with patents just go through this http://www.sparkinnovations.com/services/patents/. Patents can be really confusing and so it is better to consult some organization that provide patent service.

I wish you all the best with the project and I will keep track of this thread for more details.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Looks like a good project. I stumbled upon your other thread and ended up reading all of that and this one too. All the best with your project. If you have any trouble with patents just go through this http://www.sparkinnovations.com/services/patents/. Patents can be really confusing and so it is better to consult some organization that provide patent service.

I wish you all the best with the project and I will keep track of this thread for more details.

Thank you VERY much pal, appreciate it, will give you an update:

The update is, I sacked the engineer off and got 50% refund of my money, I was hoping an new engineer could take over the project, but engineers want to work with their own schematics and designs. Personally, I think an engineer can not get emotionally invested in someone else's design, it has to be built from the foundation in my opinion.

So essentially, I am back to square one, will take my time to find an engineer this time and look at their past projects. I will not accept a proposal unless I see pics of physical products in their portfolio. Perhaps my current designs will give speed things along though and he/she can add their own ideas to it.

PEBBLE

Last edited:

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Hey man, have you thought of working out a deal with the UK manufacturer you mentioned in your original thread?

If the manu only sells in the UK, odds are they could stand to make a lot more money in the US (assuming you live in the US), provided they have a good distributor. You could contact them, tell them about your business, and offer to sell the product in the States under your own label. It would be win-win in that you could sidestep the whole engineering thing and they would expand to a much bigger market.

It would streamline the process greatly and reduce your upfront costs. Eventually once you gain traction, you could work out a sole distribution agreement, giving you security in the market.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Hey man, have you thought of working out a deal with the UK manufacturer you mentioned in your original thread?

If the manu only sells in the UK, odds are they could stand to make a lot more money in the US (assuming you live in the US), provided they have a good distributor. You could contact them, tell them about your business, and offer to sell the product in the States under your own label. It would be win-win in that you could sidestep the whole engineering thing and they would expand to a much bigger market.

It would streamline the process greatly and reduce your upfront costs. Eventually once you gain traction, you could work out a sole distribution agreement, giving you security in the market.

Thank you so much for the advice. I did think about the whole licence-ing route. But I simply don't have any patents in place yet, so I will hold out on telling that manufacturer my ideas that they could steal and patent themselves.

I still would like to make a physical prototype, then I can decide between the options. It depends how awesome the prototype will turn out and my gut feeling to choose the route. I guess nobody will listen to verbal patent-less ideas at the moment.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Thank you so much for the advice. I did think about the whole licence-ing route. But I simply don't have any patents in place yet, so I will hold out on telling that manufacturer my ideas that they could steal and patent themselves.

I still would like to make a physical prototype, then I can decide between the options. It depends how awesome the prototype will turn out and my gut feeling to choose the route. I guess nobody will listen to verbal patent-less ideas at the moment.

Why don't you file a provisional patent? That should be enough protection along with an NDA

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Thanks. I did not even know provisional patents existed. Will look into it. I am sure the existing manufacturer would still like the idea and start their own venture and get around the patents and much faster too since they have everything in place.

My gut feeling tells me at this time is that I want to do this venture myself, defo a plan B if I change my mind :)

But want to keep this under my hat at the moment.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Time for an update

I was initially very discouraged by my last engineer experience, I opted for 50% of my refund which he said he will need some time to gather the fund and politely asked him to give him positive feedback. so I have gave him till the 16th to pay up before I go caps lock on his a$$.

I hate chasing people for money and I am very confident that he won't get back to me until I send him a firm email. Probably something along the lines of 'You're not exactly earning this positive review Saad, are you?' - I am tempted to be really harsh on him and ruin his Elance presence, perhaps refund 100%, I have no use for his current designs because...this is the good news:

I started from scratch, and I posted a new job looking for a new engineer, I shared my story in my proposal. I instantly got a lot of requests but one guy really stood out to me. The USA flag instantly told me that he was going to be pricey. We signed an NDA, talked to him on Skype and i told him my idea. He said that he is new to Elance and was looking to scale his offline business. Which basically means he is a full on super genius engineer expert for cheap. A quarter of us his usual price. I looked at his portfolio and I saw physical stuff which looked good quality. He has been doing it for over 10 years, has a team, has machines and materials in house. He also said it is common for people to hire him due to incompetent cowboys.

He said he was going to do some research and call me in 2 days, the call was great. It was like he knew everything about the industry and was inside my head on the features and even added some amazing new ideas. I really like the gut feeling I had so I went with it. Last night I made the biggest purchase of my life. $5000 (half of my life savings)

He is gonna split it up into miles stones so I don't have to pay the full whack in one go so I felt less worried. The great thing is that he said he can be done in 2 months. He even educated to me that my product ideas were too perfect and perhaps leave an extra buffer for some upgrades for the user for additional revenue. He says that he doesn't accept all clients because he doesn't like their ideas a lot of the time but he thinks my idea is great and so he is happy to do this. I asked him info regarding patents and he said the patent isn't needed with a product like this and it should turbo boost my brand that will blow the competition out of the water (if the product can be brought to market)

So it is official. They working on it as I speak. I feel good with a little nervous butterflies in my stomach. Kinda like betting on Red on a roulette mostly full of red segments. Hope everyone hasn't gave up on me just yet.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
ive never looked for an engineer but the dude sounds like a winner to me.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
This is my message to my original engineer:

"Hi Saad, again I am very disappointed at your behaviour. You have requested for me to give you positive feedback so your Elance portfolio does not get a bad reputation which I agreed to.

But now I am furious, the reason I am angry is that you are making me chase you for money and I don't deserve any of this, especially since I gave you more than enough time to get the funds. it has been more than a 'week or so'.

I am going to dispute this and request I get my full 100% refund because quite simply, my new engineer says your designs are not good and I have no use for them.

You have 2 options:

1) 50% refund and I will leave you honest feedback of my experience with you.

or

2) 100% refund and I will leave you positive feedback.

Sorry to has to come to this but you leave with me with no choice and a bitter taste in my mouth. Please decide.

Phil"

The Autobahn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 2, 2013
Switzerland
Your experience with the first Engineer, reminds me to my own personal experience with some Freelancers.
Some times they have a different mentality, they want to get instructed and just want to work for hours.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Still on this.

On my birthday, my new engineer send me a sketch of the product. It looks great and a lot smaller than I thought it was going to look. Really happy with the progress.

He predicts May will be the finished prototype.

I am looking into how to market this thing, I am not sure whether to make a teaser trailer of the product and then launch the video with a full breakdown. Or maybe I should just make one video of the full breakdown.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

stormjb1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 29, 2013
London, England
"Why do we fall Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up". This quote seems fitting.

New engineers sounds good. I too have had bad experiences with foreign freelancers but that's just part of the process of finding a good one.

Keep on chugging brother and keep us updated. You'll do great.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Thanks guys

After some persistence and a few friendly threats, I got 50% of my money back.

However, the work produced is pretty much useless so my time has been raped. If I would of just met my current engineer at the start I would have a prototype by now.

Lesson learnt though. If I wasn't frustrated with my 1st engineer I probably wouldn't of found my current one which I am very happy with.

Whilst this is a slow process. I am very much interested in the licensing model and working on a few ideas in the mean time. But don't get me wrong. I'm not shiny object chasing. I am just trying to keep busy and focused on my finance goal. Licensing isn't as hands on as developing a product so it suits me nicely at the moment.

I can't wait till May though.

Last edited:

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Some new products are sprinkling into the industry. I researched it and then seeing more discussions on it suddenly opened up other more new competitors that I missed out. I need to check the discussions regularly. When I started this project there were 2 competitors. Now there is about 5.

My initial thought was dread and worry. I even considered pulling the plug on it all. Some products are pretty good and decent priced. It seems that they are having a price war and the products are getting cheaper and cheaper

But, I still think my idea is very much superior and I don't think I should give a shit about what the other guys are doing (or is this naive?)

My engineer has been really busy lately and is now 2 weeks behind schedule. But I still believe in him.

I just worry that my initial estimation of retail price will be 3x as much as the other competitive products is now forcing me to lower my margins to be in with some leverage. I will still be the most expensive because my product is simply more advanced and deserves it. (If it is to be made)

These new products also have patents and pending ones that I need to get around. My engineer says my idea is very different so we should be good. I will be defo filing a provisional patent when I make this product though.

I have done some company finances check ups and their profit it pretty low which concerns me. But they are not a one man like me so therefore I don't have to share any profit and equity and I have no doubt they make a bunch of cash deals with their product.

P.s. The new product that has been released, they mentioned that had a few threats from competitors saying that they were gonna stage an "accident" to mess their reputation up and get the product banned/illegal to use. This is a worry that I need to be prepared for. My product needs to be idiot proof safe otherwise I could get myself into trouble or even prison if I'm not careful.

Another thing to add, my competitors ALL suck at marketing and have bad quality websites, videos that look like they have been made on windows movie maker. This will be something I will also be superior with. However, I am considering hiding behind the camera. I would like to keep this a mystery especially since my boss at my current full time job will probably be a customer. I just hope being faceless Doesnt convey that I am a Chinese low quality cheap product type of dealio so maybe I need to bite the bullet since people trust faces.

Last edited:

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Well looks like $5,000 down the drain.

Someone beat me to it with a better and cheaper design...

F*ck my life. I'm trembling. People say I should compete and make it cheaper but it's still yet to cost me more money in testing and prototype stage.

Not feeling like getting in a price war with someone with a better product. My gut feeling is that this will be a stressful idea and that I should move on.

Upwards and onwards I guess.

If it wasn't for my 1st engineer, I would of beat him to the market.

Back to the drawing board.

I wish you could see my face right now. Very frustrated and feel like rock bottom right now.

EDIT: I spoke to my engineer and he brings up a few good points, this new guy on the block doesn't even have a working product yet but it is indeed an awesome product.

He also thinks i'm wasting a potential idea and is willing to back up my idea in trade of some equity, need time to think

Last edited:

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Maybe that guy lost 10k on his last invention, and someone beat him to the market and he lost it all.

Maybe he wanted to give up, because he was so pissed.

But maybe, he picked himself up, used his 10k education to his advantage, didn't make the same mistakes twice, and made a kick a$$ product.

Be that guy. Kill it with whatever you do next, and be the guy that makes all the other people get pissed.

Last edited:

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Yeah. That was my thought. I don't see him as the enemy and have total respect for him. I'm gonna send him a message and give him some additional ideas.

I have even bought one myself.

My engineer is encouraging me to compete but it's not massive market and was hoping to have it all to myself.

I can't help feeling bummed out. But time to focus more energy into my other ideas.

Thank you for the possitivity.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Okay boys and girls. I had to edit my last post and keep it a secret.

I pretty much shared my idea since I thought it was a all over. Hope everybody that saw it could be great people and keep it to themselves.

I spoke to my engineer and he says I shouldn't panic so much that there is someone else who made the exact idea. He is unable to refund some of the money that is tied up so it kinda makes sense for me to get it made regardless, put a video of it out there and see if people will still buy.

I calmed down and switched my logical brain on.

His product is on indiegogo which pretty much means he hasn't got a final product yet. He doesn't even have a video of it working. Just has a model and a video on his running over it with a tank.

This is my cue to beat him to the market. He has many backers which kinda validates the market for my idea which is a good thing.

If I can get my product in their hands before my competitor does. Then I would have a advantage. A lot of the crowd funding products don't work so it doesn't make sense for me to give up just yet.

Also, my engineer says that my product won't sell as much as being the only person selling it but there is still money to be made. He even said he would like to make me an offer of funding my project/working for free for some equity in return as opposed to giving up completely. $5000 with nothing to show for it doesn't make sense to me.

I will consider this but I am leaning more doing this solo but I know he has massive connections with quality Chinese manufactures that are really close to him. 2 heads are better than one but ideally I would like help but not just with funding.

Also. My competitor doesn't appear to have a patent. I am tempted to get a PPA that could with hold him for a year at the least but I really want to avoid legal battles and I have nothing but respect for him. But I am worried that if I go public, HE might get the PPA before I do. Any suggestions?

My engineer surprised me too, my prediction was that cost per unit would be £40. He was pretty confident that he can do it for £15 per unit which means there is ridiculously good margins. (Perhaps sell it for £140-£180 retail)

My competitor products are made in the UK so that means they probably cost more than £15 for sure.

I don't want to get into a price war but I guess my margins could beat him on price but I really don't want to lower too much. I read somewhere that Xbox and play station have price wars and they don't make much money on the consoles. But instead the games and subscriptions which is quite interesting. Perhaps I could speak to my competitor that we agree to a minimum price so that we both don't lose out and still get a share of the market.

I was a bit stupid and told all my friends about my idea I hope they keep it secret because I thought I was done for. However, this was after they backed the competitors product on indiegogo lol

So that's it guys. I'm gonna persist and try to beat him to market. He says the product will be made in October. But I predict delays for him for December. I predict June that I will be having my working product.

This is why I didn't choose to crowd source. Because of people like me. I now can review the response of the public to his product and make the changes to my product without having to go through as much trial and error. That's the bad thing with crowd sourcing. Going public before a product is made is not always a wise thing which is why I didn't opt for it. I would only do it if there was no choice.

Thanks for reading and hope you're all routing for me

Phil

Last edited:

JDM

The Lock Man
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 2, 2014
Australia
You've mentioned provisional patents, however said that the product (or a better version) now exists. Unless your product is different, you will not be able to patent the idea. Once an idea has been disclosed to the world, it generally cannot be patented (certain exceptions apply if it was you who disclosed, however this does not appear to be the issue). It is only dislcosure of the idea that is required, not a functioning product.

If your product can't sustain one competitor you were in the completely wrong market to begin with. Like you've said, his IndieGoGo campaign provides validation of your product. Beat him to market and take as much of the market share as you can by being first.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
I looked at the link and your compeditor is stuck somewhere between concept and finished product and he does not make any secret of this. Not a great place to be really. He has in effect helped you and not hindered you that much so far. That is unlikely to change. Your main competition will most likely come from china when the penny drops so get going and stop looking at the scenery. Validation, target market, trends etc have already been established thanks to you UK buddy. Good luck with it

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Okay boys and girls. I had to edit my last post and keep it a secret.

I pretty much shared my idea since I thought it was a all over. Hope everybody that saw it could be great people and keep it to themselves.

I spoke to my engineer and he says I shouldn't panic so much that there is someone else who made the exact idea. He is unable to refund some of the money that is tied up so it kinda makes sense for me to get it made regardless, put a video of it out there and see if people will still buy.

I calmed down and switched my logical brain on.

His product is on indiegogo which pretty much means he hasn't got a final product yet. He doesn't even have a video of it working. Just has a model and a video on his running over it with a tank.

This is my cue to beat him to the market. He has many backers which kinda validates the market for my idea which is a good thing.

If I can get my product in their hands before my competitor does. Then I would have a advantage. A lot of the crowd funding products don't work so it doesn't make sense for me to give up just yet.

Also, my engineer says that my product won't sell as much as being the only person selling it but there is still money to be made. He even said he would like to make me an offer of funding my project/working for free for some equity in return as opposed to giving up completely. $5000 with nothing to show for it doesn't make sense to me.

I will consider this but I am leaning more doing this solo but I know he has massive connections with quality Chinese manufactures that are really close to him. 2 heads are better than one but ideally I would like help but not just with funding.

Also. My competitor doesn't appear to have a patent. I am tempted to get a PPA that could with hold him for a year at the least but I really want to avoid legal battles and I have nothing but respect for him. But I am worried that if I go public, HE might get the PPA before I do. Any suggestions?

My engineer surprised me too, my prediction was that cost per unit would be £40. He was pretty confident that he can do it for £15 per unit which means there is ridiculously good margins. (Perhaps sell it for £140-£180 retail)

My competitor products are made in the UK so that means they probably cost more than £15 for sure.

I don't want to get into a price war but I guess my margins could beat him on price but I really don't want to lower too much. I read somewhere that Xbox and play station have price wars and they don't make much money on the consoles. But instead the games and subscriptions which is quite interesting. Perhaps I could speak to my competitor that we agree to a minimum price so that we both don't lose out and still get a share of the market.

I was a bit stupid and told all my friends about my idea I hope they keep it secret because I thought I was done for. However, this was after they backed the competitors product on indiegogo lol

So that's it guys. I'm gonna persist and try to beat him to market. He says the product will be made in October. But I predict delays for him for December. I predict June that I will be having my working product.

This is why I didn't choose to crowd source. Because of people like me. I now can review the response of the public to his product and make the changes to my product without having to go through as much trial and error. That's the bad thing with crowd sourcing. Going public before a product is made is not always a wise thing which is why I didn't opt for it. I would only do it if there was no choice.

Thanks for reading and hope you're all routing for me

Phil
You've mentioned provisional patents, however said that the product (or a better version) now exists. Unless your product is different, you will not be able to patent the idea. Once an idea has been disclosed to the world, it generally cannot be patented (certain exceptions apply if it was you who disclosed, however this does not appear to be the issue). It is only dislcosure of the idea that is required, not a functioning product.

If your product can't sustain one competitor you were in the completely wrong market to begin with. Like you've said, his IndieGoGo campaign provides validation of your product. Beat him to market and take as much of the market share as you can by being first.

Thank you for the info

I admit that my knowledge with patents are limited (reading a bunch of books) but was at the conclusion that you can not patent ideas? You have to have schematics of how the component works? Feel free to correct me on this. But if he hasn't even created a patent on the same technology. Then it's still open for patent?

You also raise some fantastic points regarding market competition

Thanks again I really appreciate the (much needed) advice

Last edited:

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
I looked at the link and your compeditor is stuck somewhere between concept and finished product and he does not make any secret of this. Not a great place to be really. He has in effect helped you and not hindered you that much so far. That is unlikely to change. Your main competition will most likely come from china when the penny drops so get going and stop looking at the scenery. Validation, target market, trends etc have already been established thanks to you UK buddy. Good luck with it

Thanks Tim. so would you say that it's the cheap Chinese knocks offs that I have to worry about?

My gut feeling is that these things can be dangerous if it is bad quality so that will help scare them away me thinks. Even I feel like running away because they can be classed as firearms so they need control and approval.

Anyway. Yeah I agree that my new competition is perhaps in a worst place than me by going public and revealing the flaws. His project is literally an empty shell but does look legit and attract many funders as a result.

He does have a few interesting ideas that if I'm honest I would like to copy. It's gonna Seem like I ripped him off but I have data/proof from a year ago when I hired my 1st engineer listing my features.

The majority of it I thought of organically all by myself. He has 2/3 extra features that I perhaps would like to add so at least we have the same amount of benefits/features as each other.

I don't want to be a cell phone with buttons trying to Compete with smart phones if you get me?

Thanks everyone

JDM

The Lock Man
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 2, 2014
Australia
Thank you for the info

I admit that my knowledge with patents are limited (reading a bunch of books) but was at the conclusion that you can not patent ideas? You have to have schematics of how the component works? Feel free to correct me on this. But if he hasn't even created a patent on the same technology. Then it's still open for patent?

You also raise some fantastic points regarding market competition

Thanks again I really appreciate the (much needed) advice

My understanding (as a Lawyer and someone that has patents pending in Australia and USA), is that once an idea is public it cannot be patented (subject to exceptions such as your own dislcosure within a grace period).

You are correct that a patent isn't just an idea and it goes into how the product actually works, however if someone has released a multi function pen that has an eraser and highliter (such as an IndieGoGo campaign, regardless of whether the engineering is done), you cannot then patent a pen that has an eraser and highlighter unless your product takes an inventive step. The inventive step might be that the dislcosed product works with a spring action and your product works with a manual swivel. This is pretty random but I hope the point comes across. Keep in mind that the requirements of a patent vary greatly depending on the country.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.