The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where to begin?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

alfonso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 26, 2015
new york
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the TMF community and must say that I'm glad I found it. my question to everyone, and I hope I'm posting in the right section, is where to begin?

I have ideas I would like to test to see if there is a market, but my big problem is I dont know how to go about that. reading through the threads I see so much good information but also so much to take in.

I have an app idea that I would like to market test, but realize there is so little I know about how to check the market for a need or developing or marketing it for that matter.

I'm not looking for the end all be all answer, but some help in some advice of what I should read or websites to learn from.

once again guys, great work and keep it up.

Alfonso

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Hey Alfonso,

I'm new to all this too, but I recently read a thread about a GIF to Instagram app someone here developed...sorry to whomever it is, I cant recall the screen name...anyway do a search for it. There's some good info there for you to read up on and use to asses your market.

Cheers,
Mike

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I don't really like market testing. When I have an idea, I think to myself, "would I use this?" And I get opinions from some people, even though I'll ultimately do whatever I want anyways.

So my question to you is, are you developing the app yourself, or are you outsourcing?

alfonso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 26, 2015
new york
I don't really like market testing. When I have an idea, I think to myself, "would I use this?" And I get opinions from some people, even though I'll ultimately do whatever I want anyways.

So my question to you is, are you developing the app yourself, or are you outsourcing?

that's where I'm at now, its an app I'd know I use and believe others would use it to. Now I'm in the process of mapping it out on paper. I'm not sure of the route to take, reviews are mixed on whether or not to outsource or learn on your own? And I know nothing about coding, but wouldn't mind learning. And that would lead me to the other problem how long would it take me to learn then begin the app.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
that's where I'm at now, its an app I'd know I use and believe others would use it to. Now I'm in the process of mapping it out on paper. I'm not sure of the route to take, reviews are mixed on whether or not to outsource or learn on your own? And I know nothing about coding, but wouldn't mind learning. And that would lead me to the other problem how long would it take me to learn then begin the app.
Learning to code is not that difficult. That said, learning to code well takes time and is often very frustrating. There's quite a few people who learn to code and build apps, but usually their apps don't look or perform very well, just because they lack the skills--or laziness, I've once seen an app in the App Store that actually brought you syntax error message when you tried to access a page.

Aside from learning to code, building apps requires knowledge of the platforms specifications, some design sense (in order to make it look pretty), and basic knowledge of how computers work.

If you decide to outsource it, which will undoubtably be a lot quicker, and require less brainpower, it's will cost you a big chunk of change, like several thousands of dollars, just for a start.
Another thing you could do is find a developer, and give them a share of the profits in exchange for their work in coding it.

Choice is yours. There's pros and cons to each.

alfonso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 26, 2015
new york
Learning to code is not that difficult. That said, learning to code well takes time and is often very frustrating. There's quite a few people who learn to code and build apps, but usually their apps don't look or perform very well, just because they lack the skills--or laziness, I've once seen an app in the App Store that actually brought you syntax error message when you tried to access a page.

Aside from learning to code, building apps requires knowledge of the platforms specifications, some design sense (in order to make it look pretty), and basic knowledge of how computers work.

If you decide to outsource it, which will undoubtably be a lot quicker, and require less brainpower, it's will cost you a big chunk of change, like several thousands of dollars, just for a start.
Another thing you could do is find a developer, and give them a share of the profits in exchange for their work in coding it.

Choice is yours. There's pros and cons to each.

Thanks for the input. Makes absolute sense. D

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

alfonso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 26, 2015
new york
This just landed in my inbox and made me think of this thread.

"Report: 83 Percent of iOS Apps are Effectively Invisible"
http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/r...wsletter&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter20150130

The challenge with apps isnt coding. Its marketing.

I figured that would be the case. My idea would cater to the trades .ie hvac, electricians. And it would be 2 fold with a companion website. I figured starting a website to draw traffic to my blog that would be created in attempts to draw an interest. Comments?

alfonso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 26, 2015
new york
Also don't know if I would be able to, but I would like to have that app a part of an affiliation program. Figure the more exposure the better, all the while others get to have a small bite through commission. Also would be a lot of room for boots to the ground sales.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.