The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 1 Surprising Secret to Making Money While Helping People for Free

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
So, how can you help people for free and still make money? How can you give away tons of valuable knowledge and skill and still get wealthy?

The answer is simple. Read on to see.

I've been astonished at the wealth of information so many guys and gals on this forum just give away for free. Do they realize what they're doing? Do they think that their rep bank is real money? What's wrong with them?

I was especially surprised recently when I saw all of the helpful stuff that @Andy Black has put up in less than a year here on the forum. Just crazy shit tons of really helpful advice and insight that he could easily charge for. It's like the toy store (or ice cream shop, if you will) opened their doors and said "Come on in. Grab whatever you want!"

It broke my brain because it's so contrary to my way of thinking up to this point. I'm very stingy. Whenever I gain even a little new information or skill, I immediately imagine how I can monetize it. "How can I use this to get money from people?"

And why do I feel that way? This is the critical point, and the difference between me and so many here on the forum.

It's because I have so little value to give away right now

If I only had $20 to my name, I wouldn't give a dime to anyone. I would sit hunched over like Gollum, holding onto my "precious" with clenched fists and glaring accusingly at anyone who dared to ask for money or help.

It's the same with value. When I only hold a little bit of value, only a little knowledge, only a little skill, then I don't feel like I can give any of it away. If I do, then what will I exchange for money to achieve my dreams of freedom?

So, the question is, "how do I change that?" And the answer is...

Become more valuable.

Become an expert. Become so good at what you do, that even giving away tons of valuable insight for free, you still have so much left to give that people will gladly trade money for it.

So what does that look like, in real terms? It means modifying my goals for this year. Now, I've still got my monetary goals. I've still got a very specific amount per month that I need to break free from the J.O.B. But for this year, here are my revised goals:

1) Study and become an expert, as much as possible, in copy writing. That has come up over and over again as the essential skill that anyone selling anything needs, and I suck at it. My goal is to get so good at it in 2015 that I can be in a position to offer real help and advice to others about it. Which leads to the second goal...

2) Shift my focus to helping people instead of just trying to extract money from them. Try to help those I come in contact with each day. Take what little knowledge and insight I've gained over the last year, and see how I can use it to help those around me get a little something better out of life. If you need more information on this, check out @IceCreamKid's "Astonishing Secrets Thread".

3) Increase my skills as a programmer, and become amazing at my 9-5. Increase my value to the company, even if I plan on breaking away from it as soon as possible.

And before anyone jumps on me for not having "TAKE ACTION!!!" as one of my goals, I'm already moving forward. I'm running my first adwords campaign right now (thanks again to @Andy Black for his help with that).

I'll end with this video from Jim Rohn. Thanks @RazorCut for linking a similar video in a different thread (can't remember which one). That was the first time I had heard of Jim, but he had a simple and powerful message.

[I tried to embed the video, but the owner prohibits it. Do yourself a favor and watch it.]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Hi @Even Steven. Very encouraging post. I'm sure you will do well at copy writing as you already have a clean and easy writing style and also the mindset to carry you till completion.

Reading your post made me smile. This forum is infectious isn't it? It encourages the gift of giving. Not by some rules and regulations laid down by MJ and the moderators but by the abundance of giving that has gone before. This forum certainly provides new members with an enlightened education in what is possible. And yes, compared to the majority of the net this forum might seems odd, even alien but it works. The more you hang out here the more your mind gets turned around and you begin to see the world in a totally different light. Give and you shall receive. There are some amazing contributors here and @Andy Black is up there with the best of them.

I think Jim Rohn would have felt very at home here.

Good luck with all your goals for this year and future years. Look forward to your further contributions.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My goal is to get so good at it in 2015 that I can be in a position to offer real help

Ha ha as I could tell by the thread title. Thanks for posting. Rep+.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
One of the things I learned in grad school is that in court, an "expert witness" is defined as someone who (as agreed by the judge and attornies) is more knowledgable than the average person on a given issue. (Think the scene in My Cousin Vinny when the lady is testifying about cars.)

I used to think that if I were going to monetize any of the knowledge I've gained about business-related stuff, I had to be a super expert. I had to have some huge company, be featured in Inc. as a contributor, etc.

I've realized that that's not true. I simply have to demonstrate some mastery of a concept above and beyond what my client is capable of doing themselves, and if I'm honest about what I can bring, I can feel comfortable about exchanging that (nacent) mastery for value (while continuing to build not only my skillset, but my history of past performance).

So for you, if you can copywrite your way through one or two ad campaigns that makes even a little money for yourself or someone else (whether as an affiliate, contractor, or otherwise), you now have a marketable skill above and beyond the capabilities of 80% of America's small business owners (many of whom are still allergic to the internet). You won't be able to charge much in the beginning, and you won't be able to promise some comprehensive suite of marketing service, but you can credibly say "Plumber, I know how to setup and run a profitable adwords campaign...I noticed you have a very poor presence on Google's search results, and your ad is on page 3 and is poorly written. I'm looking to build a base of clients, would you like me to fix you adwords campaign for 75% off what most would normally charge?" I'm sure one will say yes, then you're off to the races!

Even Steven

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
Ha ha as I could tell by the thread title. Thanks for posting. Rep+.

Thanks MJ. I actually looked at your "7 Steps to Radically Change Your Life..." title and the original title for the "Astonishing Secrets" thread to try to get an idea for mine ;)

@RazorCut, thanks for the kind words. Totally agreed about the forum. And even though I only specifically mentioned Andy in that post, there are so many big hitters here, all of whom deserve thanks for the time and effort they've put in. I hope you all know who you are.

@throttleforward, that's really interesting. I had never thought of actually doing ad or copywriting work for others, but that would be a great way to get some practice along the way. I'm gonna keep that in mind. That would actually be a great way to offer help to some folks; they would get discounted marketing work, and I would get experience and a little extra cash.

Also, I definitely get that definition of "expert". Last time my wife and I went to Japan to visit her family, my parents came with us. My Japanese is intermediate at best, but to my parents who don't know any at all, I looked like an expert.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Cool to see someone realizes that there is another side to the coin.

If there ever was a "secret" about biz, it's the ability to become unattached to the outcome. When you are too attached to the outcome, you get screwed up in all kinds of ways. When you release yourself from the outcome, you have the freedom to THINK....the freedom to SEE things. Attachment blinds you from seeing what's right in front of you. This is why people with the "How can I make money?" mindset never seem to be able to get traction...they're blinded by that attachment.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Cool to see someone realizes that there is another side to the coin.

If there ever was a "secret" about biz, it's the ability to become unattached to the outcome. When you are too attached to the outcome, you get screwed up in all kinds of ways. When you release yourself from the outcome, you have the freedom to THINK....the freedom to SEE things. Attachment blinds you from seeing what's right in front of you. This is why people with the "How can I make money?" mindset never seem to be able to get traction...they're blinded by that attachment.
^^^ wise words. By definition, when we want something we focus on not having it. To want for something means to not have it.

Really nice OP. Makes a lot of sense... "Be more valuable." Rep...

Nicely written too. Also agree that Getting paid to use other people's money and run their campaigns and/or learn copywriting isn't a bad way to become more valuable. :)

Papillon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Sep 10, 2013
Île Saint-Joseph French Guiana ~ UK!

This forum is infectious isn't it?

Yes it CERTAINLY IS...!

Additionally [for me anyway] its a great place to return ...read up, gain fantastic inspiration, get ya motivation ALL fired UP again :happy: dust yourself down and of to battle again after suffering a major road block in a current project.

YES A TRULY GREAT FORUM - THE BEST ON THE NET ...!

OperationMyWay

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Nov 26, 2013
So, how can you help people for free and still make money? How can you give away tons of valuable knowledge and skill and still get wealthy?

The answer is simple. Read on to see.

I've been astonished at the wealth of information so many guys and gals on this forum just give away for free. Do they realize what they're doing? Do they think that their rep bank is real money? What's wrong with them?

I was especially surprised recently when I saw all of the helpful stuff that @Andy Black has put up in less than a year here on the forum. Just crazy shit tons of really helpful advice and insight that he could easily charge for. It's like the toy store (or ice cream shop, if you will) opened their doors and said "Come on in. Grab whatever you want!"

It broke my brain because it's so contrary to my way of thinking up to this point. I'm very stingy. Whenever I gain even a little new information or skill, I immediately imagine how I can monetize it. "How can I use this to get money from people?"

And why do I feel that way? This is the critical point, and the difference between me and so many here on the forum.

It's because I have so little value to give away right now

If I only had $20 to my name, I wouldn't give a dime to anyone. I would sit hunched over like Gollum, holding onto my "precious" with clenched fists and glaring accusingly at anyone who dared to ask for money or help.

It's the same with value. When I only hold a little bit of value, only a little knowledge, only a little skill, then I don't feel like I can give any of it away. If I do, then what will I exchange for money to achieve my dreams of freedom?

So, the question is, "how do I change that?" And the answer is...

Become more valuable.

Become an expert. Become so good at what you do, that even giving away tons of valuable insight for free, you still have so much left to give that people will gladly trade money for it.

So what does that look like, in real terms? It means modifying my goals for this year. Now, I've still got my monetary goals. I've still got a very specific amount per month that I need to break free from the J.O.B. But for this year, here are my revised goals:

1) Study and become an expert, as much as possible, in copy writing. That has come up over and over again as the essential skill that anyone selling anything needs, and I suck at it. My goal is to get so good at it in 2015 that I can be in a position to offer real help and advice to others about it. Which leads to the second goal...

2) Shift my focus to helping people instead of just trying to extract money from them. Try to help those I come in contact with each day. Take what little knowledge and insight I've gained over the last year, and see how I can use it to help those around me get a little something better out of life. If you need more information on this, check out @IceCreamKid's "Astonishing Secrets Thread".

3) Increase my skills as a programmer, and become amazing at my 9-5. Increase my value to the company, even if I plan on breaking away from it as soon as possible.

And before anyone jumps on me for not having "TAKE ACTION!!!" as one of my goals, I'm already moving forward. I'm running my first adwords campaign right now (thanks again to @Andy Black for his help with that).

I'll end with this video from Jim Rohn. Thanks @RazorCut for linking a similar video in a different thread (can't remember which one). That was the first time I had heard of Jim, but he had a simple and powerful message.

[I tried to embed the video, but the owner prohibits it. Do yourself a favor and watch it.]

Great post @Even Steven . We share a similar mindset as I have also struggled with reciprocating when it comes to giving away value here. I too, am in the process of improving myself so that I will be more helpful. I believe we have the responsibility to become productive members on the forum so we can add immense value like many have before us.

Something I have realized (very recently) is that on the forum there is always someone more lost than we are at this point. This is where we can give our limited value for the moment. Even if it is only conveying lessons we have learned from those here at the forum with more experience (giving proper credit of course).

So I want to say thank you for taking the time to post this. It should serve as a rallying cry for a lot of us here. There are 11 months left in 2015, lets do everything we can to be on a different level when 2016 gets here.

Cheers

HeresMyThing

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Sep 1, 2014

Even Steven

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
We share a similar mindset as I have also struggled with reciprocating when it comes to giving away value here. I too, am in the process of improving myself so that I will be more helpful.

When my journey changed course almost a year ago, when a friend gave me Rich Dad, Poor Dad, I started reading other books and got excited. Then, when I picked up TMF last October-ish (thanks, Amazon for putting that in my suggested books list) and found TFF, it kicked my thinking into overdrive and started to open my mind to all of the real possibilities for making a different life.

One strange side effect happened along the way, though. And this may just be one of the stages of entrepreneurial development, or maybe I'm just a jerk. But I started to look down on those around me. I would imagine where I'd be in a few years and then would condescendingly imagine them being in the same place. I started feeling smug and superior about myself (even though I hadn't really accomplished anything yet).

Now, I always felt that I wanted to make a lot of money for two purposes:
1. Personal freedom and enjoyment
2. To help people who genuinely need it

I had been thinking about number 2 purely in monetary terms up to now. But some time in the last few weeks, it started to hit me that I can help people now by giving them my time and sharing what I've learned so far. Those thoughts, coupled with all of the things I've seen here on TFF, have pushed me to try to help people more, not just once I "arrive", but all along the way. Instead of looking down on people who don't "get it", try to help them. Try to lift everyone up along with me as I go. Some won't go as high as I will, and some will go higher than me. But if I can raise the level of more people around me as I move toward the fastlane, then all the better for everyone.

And just like drafting in NASCAR, if you have someone running with you, whether in front or behind, you both go faster.

So, to that end, I put a call out to some friends yesterday to do a February book club where we're going to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" together (sorry, @MJ DeMarco, I thought jumping straight into TMF would be too abrupt a change of thinking for them ;). But which book it is isn't even the issue for me right now. I just want to get peoples' minds thinking about improving bit by bit. It looks like I've got a couple of takers so far. This was also partly inspired by @IceCreamKid's mention of an offline group in the astonishing secrets thread.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But I started to look down on those around me. I would imagine where I'd be in a few years and then would condescendingly imagine them being in the same place.

I'd imagine this is because you feel you are self-aware. You feel you are navigating the rapids. Everyone else is on automatic pilot and cannot see the rapids, they only flow with them.

it started to hit me that I can help people now by giving them my time and sharing what I've learned so far

But only if they ask, or are open to such help. Most of the world doesn't want their box tipped over. And many are perfectly happy living in their box.

Rick88

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jan 27, 2015
Michigan
The thing about this forum seems to be there is no hype going on compared to say......hmm.....the warrior forum where there are a lot of wannabe's. People who are not making money with what they are teaching. For advise they just copy what someone else advises and don't know if it's true or if it actually works.

What you learn here is the actual truth from people that have done it or have taken action and are doing it.

Amen to that!

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
But only if they ask, or are open to such help. Most of the world doesn't want their box tipped over. And many are perfectly happy living in their box.

I lost a few friends in the past because I pushed the entrepreneur lifestyle on them without giving any thought to what they truly want for themselves. It was a good lesson to learn how to give people the opportunity to be themselves.

I gave them RDPD and TMF ...a few years later, those books are still on their "to read" list. One day.

Idk man...going to a 9-5 for 40 years and HOPING to retire with a chunk of money is insanity to me. HOPING not to get laid off, HOPING that the new boss likes you, HOPING for that 5% raise, HOPING for your ship to come one day....idk. I'll never tell them that's how I feel, but that really is how I feel.

Everyone is an individual and has their own unique values.

Even Steven

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
I lost a few friends in the past because I pushed the entrepreneur lifestyle on them without giving any thought to what they truly want for themselves. It was a good lesson to learn how to give people the opportunity to be themselves.

That's why I tried to make the pitch as soft as possible. Just a "hey, I've read some books over the last year and have found a couple of good points in each, would anyone be interested in reading this together in February." A couple of guys said they'd be game, but it feels like it'll get lost in the shuffle for them. And that is what it is.

But you're right, MJ. No matter how badly you want to help someone, you just can't unless they see the need and want the help. Makes me wonder how many people look at me and think that...

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013

I gave them RDPD and TMF ...a few years later, those books are still on their "to read" list. One day.

Idk man...going to a 9-5 for 40 years and HOPING to retire with a chunk of money is insanity to me. HOPING not to get laid off, HOPING that the new boss likes you, HOPING for that 5% raise, HOPING for your ship to come one day....idk. I'll never tell them that's how I feel, but that really is how I feel.

Everyone is an individual and has their own unique values.

Hoping to not leave in places you don´t want to live because of a job...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You definitely did this with your excellent post in @MTF's 10x thread on the inside. Nice.

Great post @Even Steven . We share a similar mindset as I have also struggled with reciprocating when it comes to giving away value here. I too, am in the process of improving myself so that I will be more helpful. I believe we have the responsibility to become productive members on the forum so we can add immense value like many have before us.

Something I have realized (very recently) is that on the forum there is always someone more lost than we are at this point. This is where we can give our limited value for the moment. Even if it is only conveying lessons we have learned from those here at the forum with more experience (giving proper credit of course).

So I want to say thank you for taking the time to post this. It should serve as a rallying cry for a lot of us here. There are 11 months left in 2015, lets do everything we can to be on a different level when 2016 gets here.

Cheers

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I can say it sure Raises the bar and challenges me to reach higher and higher. When I started almost a year ago I had different goals and hmm...not the same person at all. And now I am that place where I have the feeling to raise the bar even more. I would say I have changed a lot and of course it affects my business because everything shifts in a different direction. It's changed my perception on money, and how I see wealthier people. And I suppose most of my life it was distorted. I lived in a nice town with slow lane and fast lane hidden in on the Lake Shore. I just had the side walk attitude. I went to a small school where it was quite obvious who was lower, middle, and rich.

Small town girl that went Global and finds out something completely different across the board. And have to say it's been a wild ride the more I go through this process and see things more in clarity. This will be interesting to see what happens in the next year. :) Yes wonderful people here. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.