The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

eBay Gym Apparel Idea

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
Hi guys,

So recently I've been toying with the idea of starting an online gym apparel store. So far, this is what I've come up with:

- Focus mostly on eBay sales
- Found a producer of decent quality y-back tank tops in China through AliBaba
- Produce 4 designs from graphic designers on Fiverr
- Import 100 tanks as a start, 25 of each design, 10 medium, 5 small, 7 large, 3 extra large
- Have a friend who is a photographer, find a model and take good quality photos for thumbnails

Early stages as you can see, but exciting nonetheless. Sold at ~$20AUD a tank, I'm forecasting a profit of $850AUD for the first batch, including rough estimates for stock, designs, shipping in and out, photography etc. In the future, if the first 100 sales are relatively successful, I feel it would be smart to branch into other types of gym apparel such as shorts, t-shirts, hooded jumpers, tracksuit pants, hats, bags etc.

So my questions for you out there who are more experienced than I:

- What is involved in starting an eBay store and ensuring your ads are highly visible?
- For an order of 100 tanks, what would I be looking at for shipping to Melbourne, Aus?
- Are there any areas of the process I have grossly overlooked? (please remember that this is purely a fresh idea)

Thanks in advance,

James

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
You're going to have a hard time finding a supplier on Alibaba willing to print only 100 tanks

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
You're going to have a hard time finding a supplier on Alibaba willing to print only 100 tanks

I've found a supplier who says "they will", but I get the feeling it would be for an inflated rate.

Would you have any other suggestions on where to look?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I have the same issue now, for same industry/niche. I think you have to look for local suppliers.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
100 tanks can be printed, it will just cost you $3-4 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2015
Hi James,

There are many more experienced users on here but just a few considerations off the top of my head:

-I'm guessing maybe $50-70 to have that shipped to aus but would depend on the supplier- I've come across posts on here with rough estimates based on weight before. Also remember they generally expect $US so will be more $AUS than expected

- I would also factor in costs of running an ebay store, % fees taken by ebay per sale as well as paypal

- have you got a USP or a particular brand or strategy or need to fill that you will employ to compete in this space or is it a matter of getting your feet wet with the skills/processes involved?

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
Serks:

I've budgeted $100 for shipping, so if your estimate is accurate that would be ideal. What % do eBay take? I've never ran a store before, just had personal accounts. For the moment it's really just getting my feet wet with a sales oriented business. I currently run a successful mobile car detailing business (~$750AUD a week whilst studying a masters degree full time), so I want to venture out of service and into sales.

MendeGames:

Major competition on eBay varies from $18 for a plain colour tank through to $40 for the main competitors designs. From my (albeit short) analysis, most buyers tend to forsake price and brand and aim for shirts with the best design for the price range. Therefore, I feel if I can deliver designs of a higher standard and designs that buyers are actually looking for, I can charge low-mid range as a new supplier and still be successful.

Cheers for the replies,

James

Serks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2015
I haven't sold on ebay for a few years now so I couldn't tell you..

You're best off checking out their faq or fees page. The fees aren't massive but can be a nuisance if profit margins are low

The car detailing service sounds pretty cool good stuff :)

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
I have a question, how are you going to compete with everyone doing the same thing?

there are literally millions of people selling "gym apparel"

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
I have a question, how are you going to compete with everyone doing the same thing?

there are literally millions of people selling "gym apparel"

As outlined above, I will be mainly focusing on designs and price. I don't plan on being the cheapest, but I plan on having the best designs for a price slightly more reasonable than competitors.

A quick trawl of eBay shows 4 main competitors. Adonis Gear, NAKD, StrongLiftWear and Echt. SLW is by far the most expensive but best designs, and NAKD and Exht designs suck. To me that leaves a fair slab of market (on eBay at least) that has a need to be filled; Good designs, reasonable price

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
As outlined above, I will be mainly focusing on designs and price. I don't plan on being the cheapest, but I plan on having the best designs for a price slightly more reasonable than competitors.

A quick trawl of eBay shows 4 main competitors. Adonis Gear, NAKD, StrongLiftWear and Echt. SLW is by far the most expensive but best designs, and NAKD and Exht designs suck. To me that leaves a fair slab of market (on eBay at least) that has a need to be filled; Good designs, reasonable price

What about fitwear, gymshark etc?

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
Neither have a strong influence on Aus eBay markets. Very strong in ecommerce no doubt, but eBay not so much. In fact, a search for fitwear brings no results on Aus eBay, and Gymshark only 2 items.
That's good to hear. I wish you luck man, I've got a online fitness magazine. Maybe we could cross promote or something

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
You say that other brand designs suck however someone is clearly buying them or they wouldn't be in business. Put yourself in the customers shoes why would you buy your brand over another, how is your brand different? This is an extremely saturated market and whilst I appreciate this means nothing when you have an edge, you don't have an edge, anyone can do what you are doing. Sorry to be negative but take time to figure out a unique angle and execute through that.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I'd get your first batch made local.. clothing has too many quality issues to handle at first... let alone trying to work with a Chinese company. Save that for later when you need to scale..

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
You say that other brand designs suck however someone is clearly buying them or they wouldn't be in business. Put yourself in the customers shoes why would you buy your brand over another, how is your brand different? This is an extremely saturated market and whilst I appreciate this means nothing when you have an edge, you don't have an edge, anyone can do what you are doing. Sorry to be negative but take time to figure out a unique angle and execute through that.

There are so many gym apparel brands it's crazy. And no one really has loyalty to one (in my experience), whatever looks cool is what gym rats will buy.

to the OP I would say though start with teespring or similar to see what designs customers really want, and then go bulk via China..

ThexArm

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Sep 27, 2014
It would be good for you to check how are the sales for the brands you mentioned. Premium brands may have higher price but only be selling a few. I don't think you wanna sell only few.

Check @terapeak they have 1 week free trial gives you enough time to check it out.

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
PureA:
I understand, this is why you post ideas here first before going through with them ;) that said, in Australia I do believe there is a piece of market not being filled. Whether or not that slice of market is large enough to make any substantial profit or not however is another story

Sebastya:
This is exactly why I feel it wouldn't be that hard to cut out a slice of the market for myself. I personally know I hold no loyalty to a brand, I simply buy the best design at the best price, and I feel most gym goers think the same

ThexArm:
All 4 manage roughly 250-400 sales per month. This is only for eBay sales.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
PureA:
This is exactly why I feel it wouldn't be that hard to cut out a slice of the market for myself. I personally know I hold no loyalty to a brand, I simply buy the best design at the best price, and I feel most gym goers think the same

Yep - so how do you know your designs are better/will sell more?

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
I dig the idea man, Im actually doing the same thing as you and have been for some time. What someone said above is true. There is no loyalty to a certain brand everyone wants a piece of something which is cool because everyone needs nice clothing. It will be difficult to compete in AUS regardless of your means of sales just because Gymshark and DOYOUEVEN have such a strong prescense there.

I would create a unique angle you can approach your potential customers from which would entice them to buy from you. Because those two brands already have those things leaving no reason to buy from you.

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
I dig the idea man, Im actually doing the same thing as you and have been for some time. What someone said above is true. There is no loyalty to a certain brand everyone wants a piece of something which is cool because everyone needs nice clothing. It will be difficult to compete in AUS regardless of your means of sales just because Gymshark and DOYOUEVEN have such a strong prescense there.

I would create a unique angle you can approach your potential customers from which would entice them to buy from you. Because those two brands already have those things leaving no reason to buy from you.

Yeah that's the next step of the development process I guess :)

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Spreadshirt.com

Upload your design to what ever clothing (Tees, Singlets etc).

Goes live onto Spreadshirt Marketplace.

People buy shirts for the price you set - You get X % and Spread Shirt gets Y %.

You don't have to ever touch a piece of clothing as it is all dispatched from SpreadShirt warehouse world wide.

This is how the company doyoueven.com became successful. They "sponsored" a crap load of athletes who shout out and sell their gym apparel for them, which is bought through the Doyoueven website - that has a SpreadShirt application built in.

Once they became a social hit online, they started printing and shipping their clothing locally to increase their profits.

Discourse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 1, 2014
Props to you dude. I hope that this venture will move from the idea stage to execution stage.

So many posters saying this wont work out because of X, Y, Z. For a second I thought I was in r/entrepreneur.
12 publishers thought Harry Potter wasn't going to work out, and rejected it. And you know how that story went.
Let the man try.

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
Sorry for the late reply, been busy selling my car.

Spreadshirt actually isn't a bad idea, completely slipped my mind earlier. Thanks for the tip!

Discourse: So true. Just because someones doing something well, doesn't mean you can't do it better ;)

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Here are my thoughts:

- F*ck market saturation. There's always a way.

- You will need an edge, but that's just an obstacle.

- I like the idea of getting shirts printed locally first.

- Consider making YouTube videos to build a social presence. Link back to your site. If other brands are flawed, you might be able to gain traffic by pointing out those flaws, and how your clothing fixes those flaws. For instance if the armpits tear easily, maybe you can show how double-stitching solves this problem in your shirts.

- Consider teaching an online course: Udemy to reach another large audience, increase your revenue, and link back to your site.

- I think you can gain loyal customers who will stick to your brand if you can prove you know what you're talking about, if you listen to customer feedback and really give them what they ask for, and if you can prove that you are out to build a better brand for the right people, instead of just a brand for making money for you.

Either way, get started and let us know how it goes. Have you started yet?

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
Here are my thoughts:

- F*ck market saturation. There's always a way.

- You will need an edge, but that's just an obstacle.

- I like the idea of getting shirts printed locally first.

- Consider making YouTube videos to build a social presence. Link back to your site. If other brands are flawed, you might be able to gain traffic by pointing out those flaws, and how your clothing fixes those flaws. For instance if the armpits tear easily, maybe you can show how double-stitching solves this problem in your shirts.

- Consider teaching an online course: Udemy to reach another large audience, increase your revenue, and link back to your site.

- I think you can gain loyal customers who will stick to your brand if you can prove you know what you're talking about, if you listen to customer feedback and really give them what they ask for, and if you can prove that you are out to build a better brand for the right people, instead of just a brand for making money for you.

Either way, get started and let us know how it goes. Have you started yet?

I'm currently studying a Masters of Clinical Exercise Physiology, and have a Bachelor in Exercise and Sport Science. I was considering tying this in with a clothing label, possibly by running a blog focusing on the science behind fitness. I know (yet again) that the fitness blog market is saturated, however as I have spent the last 5 years studying in the field, I KNOW I can bring something to the table that is lacking.

As to getting started, so far I've come up with a few quick sketches to give to Fiverr designers, scoured Fiverr for good designers, contacted a few Chinese suppliers, and quickly sought out Aussie suppliers. Been relatively busy the last few weeks, so haven't spent as much times as I would like to on business ventures

Michael Haynes

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Feb 7, 2015
Hey James, I'm new to this forum but I figured I could be of some help here. I work for one of the largest brands of fitness clothing in Europe. We have a strong presence in Australia and the USA as well. I'd like to not mention the brands (there's two of them owned by one company).

I run the B2C department for our store. Think of it like this.. You can go to nike.com to buy nike apparrel, or you can go to a retailer who sells nike.. Well I run nike.com... (not actually nike, but you get the idea). We do not sell on amazon or ebay nor do we allow our retailers to. We feel that it devalues the brands and it's much harder to keep control over the products, marketing, and pricing if our retailers have totally free reign.

If you have any questions that I can help with, I'll be glad to. Just ask!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.