The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I Made My First Million and the Next…….

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I have been posting since I opened my AMA thread in September, so thought it was high time I gave some background on myself.

I have started from zero and built two very successful businesses, the first one involved exporting my own products after I became established, and the second involved importing right from the start.

Business #1.
Despite phenomenal success as a salesman, increasing my employer’s sales by 800% over 3 years (a compound doubling of sales every year) I was still being paid a pittance so I looked for greener pastures. I had been selling highly technical and very specialized industrial chemical products.

Here I will insert a comment about how I was so successful in sales. There were 2 main factors:

1. Product knowledge. I knew everything there was to know about the products and how to use them. It can be very frustrating dealing with a salesman who knows very little about the product they are selling.

2. Hard work. An average sales representative does 8 calls per day. My average was 17. To do that in a big city requires preparation, and each morning I started off early, with a program for my calls that looked like a bus timetable, complete with ETA and ETD for each call. No chat about football. My no-nonsense approach appealed to the buyers. I was there to talk business and they appreciated that I was not wasting their time.

After quitting that job there followed a long period of struggling to find a decent sales job because I lacked experience outside that narrow specialty, so I took the plunge and started my own business, with close to zero as my bank balance. I had to make sales fast!

It was in the same field, but I developed a far superior product range. Although I offered my main product at a price about double what the industry had been paying I rapidly made sales. The product was superior, and even at double the price the cost for my customers was insignificant, because it was a very small production input.

Let me explain how I made those sales so easily. Demonstration was the key.

My production cost was very low so I could afford to be generous with samples. The potential customer would invariably allow me to demonstrate the product in use, because I persuaded them that the product they had been using for years had serious deficiencies. The demonstration took 5 minutes and was very convincing.

Some big manufacturers wanted more extensive tests, so I went along with a drum of my product, and changed into work clothes and spent as much as a whole day sweating it out side by side with the factory workers. That no doubt got them onside and removed the prejudice against change.

Within a year I had 100% of the market in that major area, and people in other related industries began to come to me for solutions to their similar problems, allowing me to diversify. Problem solving as a way of making sales meant that I could name my price for the product, within reason.

After getting quite a few inquiries from overseas manufacturers I decided to try exporting, and I soon had customers in many countries in the Asia Pacific region, including Singapore, Taiwan and mainland China.

20 years after starting the business I sold it for 4 times my annual net profit. The buyer was the Technical Manager of one of the biggest chemical companies in the world and he had as a partner, not just a lender, a big merchant bank. I had been banking 6 figure profits for many years, and now I had a lump sum in the millions.

Not one to stand still, I immediately started:

Business #2.

With my contacts in China and other countries I had a multitude of business ideas, and I settled on one that involved importing and marketing B2B. This was in 1987. My communication then was all by fax or telephone.

Without online resources, such as the then non-existent B2B sites, I used trade magazines for a lot of my sourcing, but I also knew how to find suppliers through trade organizations and Government agencies. Later, I also began sourcing through B2B sites, and I am pleased to say that I never had to resort to using Alibaba, DHGate etc.

Business boomed. I entered the market as a high priced supplier but I quickly replaced the market leader in the most lucrative part of my market. When I started, they had 90% of the market in that sector. It took me 2 years to acquire 30% and a few years more to get to the 90% point. After his massive discounting failed to win back the customers, that major competitor sold out.

I could not have done that without increasing my labor force substantially, and I did not want to employ people other than family, so I sold franchises instead. It worked incredibly well. I did all the franchising set up, including writing the operations manual myself.

Over the space of a few years the franchise network spread to four countries, and working through Master Franchisees allowed me to maintain close control while only having to deal on a person to person basis with a small number of people.

The advent of the internet made it possible for me to add product sourcing via B2B sites, and with my previous experience gained during my countless visits to China, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, HK etc., I was able to quickly sort the sheep from the goats when choosing which B2B sites to use.

Unfortunately one day I went for a routine examination and instead of going home I was rushed to hospital for emergency quadruple bypass surgery. Recovery is usually swift, but the surgeon did some collateral damage to my lungs and it quickly became apparent that I could not continue running my international franchising organization so I sold out.

Readers have probably worked out that I am a workaholic. I can’t just sit around all day, so I wrote my first eBook, and am now having as much fun as ever helping new entrepreneurs enter the exciting world of importing.

I try to follow doctor’s orders ;)so I have my desk facing the window where I can watch the kangaroos and cattle sharing the grass just outside my garden gate. Yes I now spend most of my time in Australia, but the view from my window in England is just as pleasant, except no kangaroos.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Walter, your story is amazing. What an exciting business life you had! I wish I could experience something like that in a very near future (without the surgery) :) I hope that your health is much better now, I know how serious heart and lung damage is. I'm glad I could meet you here!

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
FARADSp.png

Thanks for the thread, I doubt I'll ever be in the import biz, so I won't use most of this, but the more you know about other ventures, the more your mind expands to spot needs and meet them.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Walter, your story is amazing. What an exciting business life you had! I wish I could experience something like that in a very near future (without the surgery) :) I hope that your health is much better now, I know how serious heart and lung damage is. I'm glad I could meet you here!
Thanks Michal. My health has improved far better than expected, but I decided not to go back into business because I have found a fulfilling way to exercise my very active brain without the pressure of a business.

I sometimes have some very busy times answering questions, but what I am now doing is at least as enjoyable as building a business empire.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
You're the man Walter.

20 years for 4x annual...what a journey.
I only sold the business because I was running low on excitement. Even after contributing substantially towards paying off the national debt by way of tax paid, the annual profits were more than enough to live comfortably, but there were less and less challenges coming in, and dealing with challenges is what I have always thrived on.

Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Awesome story dude!
Let me just add a little to the story;

I started off with nothing and unlike many who spend up big on lavish offices etc., once the money starts coming in, I always operated on a shoestring budget. I produced what are known as "aids to manufacture", so I was dependent for my sales on the manufacturers that I supplied. If they slowed down so did my sales. 100% of nothing is nothing.

There were slow times, the worst being at the time of the oil embargo in 1973, but those very low overheads meant that I could afford to spend the quiet time streamlining my operation. Just as well I did, because after 3 months of sales close to zero due to a lot of manufacturers having panicked and cut production, when they realized that there was life after the oil embargo, business went crazy. I now had the improved processes that made it possible to keep up with the massive increase in demand.

Last edited:

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
How do you suggest going about finding customers/clients to sell imported products to If you dont already have years of experience in that market? How do you go up against bigger players in that market when your a nobody

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
How do you suggest going about finding customers/clients to sell imported products to If you dont already have years of experience in that market? How do you go up against bigger players in that market when your a nobody
I am not an experienced internet marketer. Both of my businesses sold products on a B2B basis, not B2C.

I hope one of the experienced physical products sellers on this forum might help you.

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
Impressive career, I like how you leveraged the industry experience from your job into your own b2b biz. Health does come first; as for keeping your active brain busy, sharing your knowledge, coaching, learning about different industries, writing, new hobbies, all help. Growth doesn't have to end at the office.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Impressive career, I like how you leveraged the industry experience from your job into your own b2b biz. Health does come first; as for keeping your active brain busy, sharing your knowledge, coaching, learning about different industries, writing, new hobbies, all help. Growth doesn't have to end at the office.
Having read Vigilante's great thread I know that he advocates using employment experience as a springboard and I agree entirely.

My employer actually did me a favor by paying me so poorly, because otherwise I would have stayed on in the slowlane if I had been getting a good salary.

Regarding growth not ending at the office, I must say that I am still learning at 76 years of age. Although I have a huge amount of experience in importing, I am learning more every day and that is why I revise my book twice a year, so that I can make improvements. I would never claim to know everything there is to know on any subject.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
FARADSp.png

Thanks for the thread, I doubt I'll ever be in the import biz, so I won't use most of this, but the more you know about other ventures, the more your mind expands to spot needs and meet them.
Thanks for making my gears mesh!

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Yep, you're free to use it/have it if you want for your Avatar. I also thought that that made the order clearer, can't sell until you source.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I have just replied to a teenage Fastlane member asking if 17 is too young to start and will he encounter problems due to his age. In the process of writing to him I told him about what really was my first business venture.

It was not Business #1. Sorry about that, but I had almost forgotten about the business that I started as a 12 year old entrepreneur.

At the age of 12, I negotiated exclusive salvage rights at a glass bottle recycling yard that allowed me to smash up and sell as firewood any wooden crates that were not worth repairing. The yard manager took some convincing, but finally he believed my promise to clean up after breaking up the crates and splitting them into kindling.I kept my promise and he allowed me to continue until I moved out of the district.

I went door to door in the neighborhood hauling my hand drawn cart that I had built myself. I figured that my target market was elderly ladies and I was right. I consistently sold out, and so I gradually increased my price, having discovered which of those elderly ladies had plenty of money to spend.

So I told this young man: "No, 17 is not too young to start."

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Hey Walter great story. You talked about your sucessess as a salesman.

For experience and capital for my startup, I Will working at a business firm on wall street, which requires strong sales ability on the phone and in Person. Any books or material you recomend on building sales and telephone skills?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hey Walter great story. You talked about your sucessess as a salesman.

For experience and capital for my startup, I Will working at a business firm on wall street, which requires strong sales ability on the phone and in Person. Any books or material you recomend on building sales and telephone skills?
Sorry but I am one of that school of thought that says salesmen are born, not made.

I have 2 sons, one is outgoing the other very self-effacing. The outgoing one is a superb salesman, and the other is very poor in that role.

I tried teaching him but he was just not suited to it.

At one stage, while trying to get a sales job before I decided to start my own business I took on a traineeship with a company that wanted salesmen but they had to be trained. The training was typical by-the-book sales training and most of the trainees fell by the wayside. I ignored the training and did it my way, with great results, but I hated the job because it was not challenging.

On the same subject, I have a young relative who is a currency trader with one of the big banks. He consistently does it his own way and is actually encouraged in it because by doing so he consistently racks up huge profits for the bank. He is a rebel but headhunters are always after him, so much so that he now has an agent to deal with them for him. He is a natural at the job, with only basic training.

I must add that to be successful as a salesman, even if you are born to it, you must be prepared to work hard and to learn your product and its market. Average sales people don't do either.

fastattack03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 15, 2013
Walter, thanks for sharing your story. Now I'm a bigger fan of yours!

You're still providing value even at a mature age. For that, I must say we are very fortunate to have you in this forum.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Spain is missing on your http://provenchinasourcing.com/ - is this by design?

And can you give a quick tip where to manufactor cheap "I LOVE" pins or related "I LOVE" products?
I have some book buyers in Spain (only 3 I think), but it takes quite a while for the webmaster to update the site.

Send me a message and I will give you a contact where you can have those pins made. There are a few manufacturers that I would trust, and I will give you #1.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
Walter,

Your posts are some of my favourite on the forum. I enjoy your writing style which strongly imparts your experience and wisdom. It is a treasure to get insights from an individual who has been entrepreneurial for so many years.

Walter, do you enjoy reading? I would be interested in knowing some of your favourite books or biographies that you felt gave insight to your life, business operations, or simply just entertained you.
Thanks

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Walter,

Your posts are some of my favourite on the forum. I enjoy your writing style which strongly imparts your experience and wisdom. It is a treasure to get insights from an individual who has been entrepreneurial for so many years.

Walter, do you enjoy reading? I would be interested in knowing some of your favourite books or biographies that you felt gave insight to your life, business operations, or simply just entertained you.
Thanks
Without a doubt the most valuable book (apart from the Bible) I have ever read is the Encyclopaedia Britannica. Yes, I have read it from cover to cover! This came about when I was hospitalized for several long periods as a child, around 10 and 11 years of age.

I quickly read every book in the small library in the children's ward, and asked the nurses for something else to read. One nurse brought me the first volume of the encyclopaedia, pointing out that it had lots of nice pictures. She was unaware that I was more interested in the facts, but having seen me reading every page, she was happy to bring me volume 2 when I finished the first one.

After several hospital stays of several months each I had read it all, and so they wheeled me to the adult library where I could choose for myself. I had always been a keen reader and now that I had been introduced to adult literature it opened up a new world of discovery for me.

Later, as an adult, one of my favorite books was A Fortunate Life, an autobiography by Australian author Albert Facey. A quick look at this summary will give you an idea why I found it so inspirational: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fortunate_Life He and I shared the same attitude regardless of circumstances; "Never Give Up."

Finally, regarding the BIble, I have read the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice every year for the past 54 years. It is my guide for life.

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
So inspiring!

What advice would you give to a 20 year old aspiring entrepreneur? (I'm doing self-publishing and running a self development & fitness blog, but I don't have a real business yet)

Regards,

V

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
So inspiring!

What advice would you give to a 20 year old aspiring entrepreneur? (I'm doing self-publishing and running a self development & fitness blog, but I don't have a real business yet)

Regards,

V
My first suggestion is to keep your mind on one business at a time. I always maintained a file of "Good Ideas" for new businesses. Some of those ideas came to me while driving to visit customers or potential customers. I kept a tape recorder beside me and recorded the idea as soon as I thought of it. Sorry I can't give you my list of unused ideas; I threw that file out when I retired. I know that I could have started more than one at a time, but by concentrating on the one I did it properly.

Another suggestion is to avoid borrowing money for your business. That is easier said than done, but it paid off for me. It only works if you have very high profit margins so that you can plough profits back into the business and still have sufficient to live on. This is where continuing to work for a boss while both learning and while setting the business up in its early stages is so useful. That enables you to have a liveable income while making your first small sales and proving the viability of the idea. You must be able to do this during lunch breaks or after hours.

The third is one that may seem contrary to Fastlane teaching, but it is to grow your business only as fast as profits will allow. I have seen too many apparently successful businesses fail because growth outstripped ability to finance the growing debtors list and inventory costs.

Maybe I need to write another book.

PDeezy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Feb 14, 2014
Sydney
Hi Walter

Just wanted to add my thanks for all of the terrific information you have provided in your importing thread and throughout the forum in general, it's fantastic to have people like you on-board providing so much knowledge. I shall be purchasing your book when I'm able to and I look forward to learning from you. Cheers, Pete

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...