The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ignoring NECST Will Kick Your a$$-Even After 100 Years of Success.

Anything related to matters of the mind

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regio...treat-soda-is-closing-after-97-years/30885736

atreat-closing-after-nearly-a-c.focus-none.fill-735x490.jpeg

A-Treat Sodas, a century-old mfg. of low-cost flavored sodas, shut down. Although the news station didn't connect the dots in the interview and article, the precipitating factor seems to be a decision last near not to kowtow to Wal-Mart's demands that A-Treat truck drivers personally restock the shelves of the Wal-Mart stores they serviced on a daily basis. When A-Treat refused, Wal-Mart pulled them from the shelves, and although the article doesn't say this outright, they went out of business less than a year later. Coincidence? I think not.

CENTS isn't just a formula to help you build a successful business, it's a formula to help you keep it. When this company was where most people on FLF forum are, in the inceptive stages of their business, WOODROW WILSON was president. WWI had just ended. People were still using horses in wars when this company was founded. Women could not vote for another two years when this company was founded. You could probably find a few American Civil War veterans still walking around in almost every major city when A-Treat started. That's how old it is.

After generations of success that led to their own plant, a fleet of dedicated tractor trailers, a host of employees, and distribution in thousands of stores, it all came crashing down.

And after all that work, generations of work, somebody made a mistake.

Somebody gave up control.

NECEST isn't just the secret to building a great company, it's the secret to its life, the essence of its survival. Your company needs to be CENTS compliant not just at the beginning, but every step of the way.

It will be hard. Control is power. Your rivals, your suppliers, your distributors, everyone will try and push you out of a controlling position. It may even look easier to take that route, for a little while. I'm sure when A-Treat got into Wal-Mart, they thought they had it made. They probably were even tempted to neglect searching for other distributors, or at least not search quite as hard, as the cash rolled in. They thought they had it made, but without control, they had nothing.

After 97 years, the last employees will shut the lights off tomorrow and never return. Two weeks notice, no severance. In a year, nobody will remember this company, into which sweat and hard work and sacrifice was poured for generations, ever existed.

Respect the CENTS. There is no other path to Success.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Strange, I never heard of them. Just goes to show that having only one huge customer (like Walmart) and no one else is high risk business. Thanks for the article and the reminder.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
When I start a business I will make a CENTS list where I will cross of every requirement to see if a business venture has potential.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Why not start a business now?
I'm on it, I'm in the process of learning to create my own website then I will think about what business to start.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
I'm on it, I'm in the process of learning to create my own website then I will think about what business to start.

Stop me if I'm derailing the conversation here.

Knowing how to make a website is definitely not a pre-requisite for starting a business though. I am still awful at websites, and I quit my job last April because my side-business was almost matching my Electrical Engineer salary.

I suggest you talk to your potential customers first, and see what the first (easiest!) thing you can do to 1) validate your idea and 2) get your first $1.

Use the money you make from customers to pay for improvements like a website, etc. Not kidding. It's totally counter-intuitive, but I really urge you to NOT spend time/money until you talk to some customers.

</hijack>

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
They were based about 45 minutes away from me, weird to see them gone as they are pretty big around here.

That being said, I think they taste awful, and if you ask me it's more about the product sucking. Although I've never liked any soda so I'm hardly a credible critic on the matter.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014

Knowing how to make a website is definitely not a pre-requisite for starting a business though. I am still awful at websites, and I quit my job last April because my side-business was almost matching my Electrical Engineer salary.

I suggest you talk to your potential customers first, and see what the first (easiest!) thing you can do to 1) validate your idea and 2) get your first $1.

Use the money you make from customers to pay for improvements like a website, etc. Not kidding. It's totally counter-intuitive, but I really urge you to NOT spend time/money until you talk to some customers.

</hijack>
Well I'm taking it step by step, I want to have the skills of building a website by myself.
I've had a few ideas on what kind of business but I don't see a problem yet.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York

</hijack>

You're wasting your time explaining it to him.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Strange, I never heard of them.

That being said, I think they taste awful, and if you ask me it's more about the product sucking. Although I've never liked any soda so I'm hardly a credible critic on the matter.

It isn't surprising, I think, that members of a forum with one of the tenets being health and fitness would not be up on a mfg of low-cost cream soda and root beer. I only vaguely recollected seeing them in stores.

Also, I've just noticed people replacing the CENTS acronym with CENTS. That makes a lot more, pardon, sense.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Well I'm taking it step by step, I want to have the skills of building a website by myself.
I've had a few ideas on what kind of business but I don't see a problem yet.

Dude, you are me 3 years ago. I used to think the exact same thing. I would see the posts by biophase about programming and such being a waste of time an think "Nope, I'm gonna do it my way."

TRUST ME, I was dead wrong. I wasted so much time focusing on menial shit like CSS which ultimately did jack and made me $0. It's fine to know some basic HTML and such for website building (can be learned in an hour), but you are wasting your time learning advanced skills.

Whatever you are learning, there are already 10,000 guys in India that know it better and will do it for 1/4 the price.

Fiverr is my new favorite website. Whenever I start getting in over my head, bam. $5 later problem solved. I needed an ebook cover 2 weeks ago. Did I spend a month getting competent at Photoshop? Nope, went to Fiverr, gave the guy a description of what I wanted and told him to design it how he sees fit.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
It isn't surprising, I think, that members of a forum with one of the tenets being health and fitness would not be up on a mfg of low-cost cream soda and root beer. I only vaguely recollected seeing them in stores.

Also, I've just noticed people replacing the CENTS acronym with CENTS. That makes a lot more, pardon, sense.

To be honest I had no idea they were a national brand. Was very surprised to see a story about them here on this forum.

All of the times I saw them were local events, think community street fairs or state carnivals and whatnot. Always figured it was just one of those "Here's our regions shitty iteration of Coke" sodas. Did not realize that they were sold in Walmarts everywhere. Perhaps that's another reason no one on this forum knows them.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Dude, you are me 3 years ago. I used to think the exact same thing. I would see the posts by biophase about programming and such being a waste of time an think "Nope, I'm gonna do it my way."

TRUST ME, I was dead wrong. I wasted so much time focusing on menial shit like CSS which ultimately did jack and made me $0. It's fine to know some basic HTML and such for website building (can be learned in an hour), but you are wasting your time learning advanced skills.

Whatever you are learning, there are already 10,000 guys in India that know it better and will do it for 1/4 the price.

Fiverr is my new favorite website. Whenever I start getting in over my head, bam. $5 later problem solved. I needed an ebook cover 2 weeks ago. Did I spend a month getting competent at Photoshop? Nope, went to Fiverr, gave the guy a description of what I wanted and told him to design it how he sees fit.
Designing shirts or ebook covers is a little different than leaving your online business pretty much to some indian guy. I'm not in a hurry to make chump change, I'd rather put the time in to build something of quality. Thanks for your input however, it's good to hire people for smaller tasks. I like your thinking, it's true I can always find people who have the skills I need but you can't always depend on others.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Yea, that's what I'll be using in the next book, CENTS just makes more SENSE. :innocent: :halo:
It makes more sense but I like that 'N' was first because it's arguably the most important commandment. Just my 2 CENTS :p

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Designing shirts or ebook covers is a little different than leaving your online business pretty much to some indian guy. I'm not in a hurry to make chump change, I'd rather put the time in to build something of quality. Thanks for your input however, it's good to hire people for smaller tasks. I like your thinking, it's true I can always find people who have the skills I need but you can't always depend on others.

@Luffy I can relate to you, I am one of those who'd rather do everything by himself and know how to. But you'll suffer, trust me, I suffered. You're breaking the Time commandment.

And @Boxster is right. You want to find a reliable India developer as soon as possible, because as soon as you find yourself with a shit ton of shit to do, you need to outsource things. And if you try to do it by yourself, not only will your business suffer, but you won't ever be able to detach your time from it.

Start preparing to detach now, You don't need to do everything, you just need to guide them. Just go do Freelancer.com , for 20-30$/hour you will find a master genious in anything you want. Heck, I paid 5$ / hour to my first Indian guy, not perfect, but because I had the time, I guided him. I would NEVER would have attained the needed level of skill to do what he was doing, I would have taken weeks or months.

You're not loosing Control by outsourcing, you just have to do it right. The only skill you need to develop is how to outsource.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
Wow. They must really depend on their local customers because I never heard of this brand and I only live about an hour away from their facility.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.