The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do Secret Legends Exist?

Such thing as secret legends?

• Yes

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Is there such a thing as a low key legend, especially in business? I assume there might be, because i'm sure there are thousands of mega millionaires with hundreds of millions of dollars whose names and faces we don't even recognize---or i could be wrong.

but when i mean legend i mean, someone who can be considered an all time great with certain characteristics. i can't do a good job of explaining what type of business man I am trying to see exists, so let me describe someone who is more describable to me to be able to give a clear and sound example.

for example, in the sport of basketball, my childhood idol, Kobe Bryant is considered an all time great. according to many basketball gurus, he is arguably the best basketball player and human to touch a basketball of all time so far, but the general population does not believe so. reasons being why he is number 1-- he has everything from intangibles to accomplishments and stats that gauge how effective he was in playoffs and championship runs to solidify himself into the top 10 of all time.

aside from that, Kobe is an artist. his style was so advanced and cutting edge/far ahead of our/his time (in the evolution of basketball that is), that he is often criticized for style of play (shot selection), as were many artists in different industries and people who expanded or found something new. he also sacrificed more than any player in the history of the NBA such as scoring titles (even though he is easily the number 1 scorer of all time) MVP titles, and FMVP, just so he can collect what matters most, but is overlooked by fans----Championship Rings.

with that said, when Kobe retires, it's very safe to say he will be admired a lot more---but that's the catch, he is FAMOUS WORLDWIDE and in Asian countries, he is LITERALLY a basketball demi-god (not even kidding, he is literally a greek basketball god to those people)

now, it is possible for a business tycoon to have all those qualities and be able to have a nice quiet private life?

qualities such as being advanced, having a new style that everyone criticizes, while having a sound and mastered fundamental business skills, and last but not least, being the best at what you do.

are there legends out there, that we walk past, hold the door for, make brief eye contact, in our daily lives that we don't even recognize?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Having a lot of $ doesn't make you different. Just makes who you are more of.

You don't have to ball out at the club with 200 bottles just because you made some money.
Money is freedom to do whatever the F*ck you want. To have the OPTION to ball out if you want.
To have the OPTION to disappear to South Africa for a few months.
The feeling of "I can walk out of here, do whatever I want, and nobody can stop me."

If that is hang out with good people, hold the door for, or whatever, then do it.

Absolutely you'll get people that are well off that don't live a celebrity lifestyle.

Probably a bunch of people here on the FL that are free to do whatever they want and choose not to be the flashiest person in the room.

It's all upto you.

P.s. your time would be better spent working on becoming that person than asking ;)

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Having a lot of $ doesn't make you different. Just makes who you are more of.

You don't have to ball out at the club with 200 bottles just because you made some money.
Money is freedom to do whatever the F*ck you want. To have the OPTION to ball out if you want.
To have the OPTION to disappear to South Africa for a few months.
The feeling of "I can walk out of here, do whatever I want, and nobody can stop me."

If that is hang out with good people, hold the door for, or whatever, then do it.

Absolutely you'll get people that are well off that don't live a celebrity lifestyle.

Probably a bunch of people here on the FL that are free to do whatever they want and choose not to be the flashiest person in the room.

It's all upto you.

P.s. your time would be better spent working on becoming that person than asking ;)

I understand what you are saying, but I think you might have misunderstood me possibly... unless im the one got confused and you understood what i said...somehow----that's too confusing :D

what im trying to say is, that one guy, Lakshmi Mittal i blieve i credited for started the whole "merger" strategy in the steel industry. and his face and name is plastered and known all over.

im not talking about the amount of money, the guy could be broke right now and he'd have so much respect from everyone because he paved a way if im not mistaken.

what im trying to ask is that are there guys out there that we dont even know who can be credited for a new style of entrepreneurship strategies/tactics or whatever, be their own unique businessmen, and we don't even know about them?

sorry if your answer would be still the same for this new paragraph i typed out lol im just having a hard time to express my curiosity

but either way you are right, it's the work put in that makes that person :)

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
wait nevermind man, i just realized the first sentence you typed out answered everything @Silverhawk851

appreciate it!

so it was really me that got confused :D

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
it is possible for a business tycoon to have all those qualities and be able to have a nice quiet private life?

Yes. I know a few people that can buyout multimillionaires a few times over. They are movers and shakers but if you saw them on the street you would think they are just another person minding their own business.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I know of a guy like that.

He was a Japanese tycoon in the fishing industry, apparently "mega-mega-rich," as was described to me.

I've never met him, as he isn't alive anymore, but someone I know was adopted and raised by him, so I've heard many stories about him.

He would apparently walk around completely enclosed in a circle of bodyguards, and appointed a 12 year old to take over as chairman and CEO of his company.

I tried to look him up and find out who he was, but never found out. He probably would get a ton of hits on Google, but seems like he was still someone prominent.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
A friend who recently passed away was the founder of a nationwide chain of retail stores catering to women. He lived just a mile or so away from where I'm writing this, in the same 1,100 square foot suburban house he bought in the 1970s. He drove a garden variety Japanese car. His hobby was horse racing and he once owned a Kentucky Derby contender, however I doubt even his next door neighbor knew who he was. I learned a lot from him about preserving the money you make. Damn, brings back memories - miss ya, man!

Cheers,
O-2

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Sadly my conclusion is no.

The reason being is that business is so scary to most people, or so silver spooned to them, that they chump out early on in the game. Picking one metric or another to judge themselves by.

A true legend in MY VIEW is original, and not a d#ck.

... They don't exist. People cheese out way too soon.

HOW SAD right?

Seriously, I wept.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

The reason being is that business is so scary to most people, or so silver spooned to them, that they chump out early on in the game. Picking one metric or another to judge themselves by.

HOW SAD right?

Seriously, I wept.
I think that you're wrong. They are just rare and even more rare to spot.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Yeah they have a thing for fake Jordans over there.

not sure if you took a jab at kobe, which is cool. everyone has their opinions

but if you are using fake to describe a style of play that was innovated, then sure bro, they sure do love fake jordans overseas.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014

HOW SAD right?

Seriously, I wept.

yes a true legend IS "original"

but like someone else said, they are rare to spot

i think i believe that as well...

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
They are just rare and even more rare to spot.

I don't think I'm wrong, but I believe they are POSSIBLE
And I agree that, its just as tricky to spot as it is to find.

The reason, I say "no" as a definitive conclusion, is that I feel the field in being compared to other creative fields, has a much more volatile foundation, which makes it a LOT harder for Legends to be truly worth that name.

... For me, its a similar question to, does true love exist?
People can romanticise and collect their own point of view, but that view is always going to be biased by a persons hopes and ambitions, rather than the sheer integrity the thing on its own merit.

Its tough, to truly admit that there are no businessmen/women I would idolise at 100%. However, I think that in the pursuit of your own originality, and in the process of deciding how high to set the bar for yourself, you should always try to go higher than what you see out there. You should strive for your best.

Do I believe there are people that raise the bar over the general consensus?
I do.

But I still only would idolise them at say 30% of the capacity of what I would consider a true Legend.
I think its because business EXCLUDES certain practices that raise the bar.

I think business requires higher personal skills than most entreprenuers have
Higher empathy
Higher awareness regarding the climate your actions create
A broader definition of success
A broader definition of business (what is and isn't included)
A stronger tolerance level for financial pain
A stronger hold on your own emotions

I think we can be so much more.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, infact the opposite
I mean to be realistic
And sweep aside the Narcissism, Attention seeking, Self glorification, and cut to the chase.

People, do, cop out... Eventually.
And I did, find that very traumatic.

Much like love. Most people are selfish. Or underdeveloped.
It is NOT THEIR FAULT and it does not mean they don't have a good life and a great HOLD on business (people do certainly enjoy business and do good things with it that are admirable)

But true "legends" per se.
Its LESS encouraged.

- customers don't ask you to be better
- you don't have an audience
- you are not expressing something or judging how others feel deeply

The most you get is
- diligence for customers
- achieving for self and friends
- looking into how people like and buy certain things

You get very SKILLED at that.
But those things, are not truly legendary, but rather necessary.
And to inflate that skill or to idolise it, imo does you a disservice because you really can stand for more than the minimum.

Unfortunately, guys like Ford, Gates, Buffet etc
I'm like...
Meh

Ford pollutes the planet, cr#pped on workers, a total narcissist - But excellent execution
Gates, is an underhanded kinda guy, likes to win, highly selfish/self centered (cr#p empathy) - But did good because, he created the business behind a pretty decent and widely used operating system (and he does a lot of charity work and will pass on most of his money when he goes, so he isn't a horder)
Buffet, propogates this almost patronising view of wealth, and your place in it - But he's an open guy, pleasant

They are very much imo, flawed.
Most people you could ever pick are.

And, I remind myself of that every day
You can't get by, thinking you can just COPY someone else and be called a good man.

To me, you have to push that envelope.
And you have to keep pushing it.

And most people in business (if not all)
Stop pushing, or never push in the places that would make them a TRUE legend.

Now, I have a "high" standard, but thats my standard, and I'm darn entitled to it.
So, I don't feel I'm wrong at all.

I do however think, one has to be optimistic about the people we do have, but just be AWARE, that business is not a righteous crusade to pretty much anyone, after they hit the grindstone.
There is always something lost.

And I think business, while nothing like the badguy portrayed in movies.
Is not as good as it could be, because it has a blindspot to the creative, the emotional, and the deservedness of others.

DO I DESERVE MONEY BECAUSE I AM SKILLED AT THE PURSUIT OF IT?
No...
I do not deserve money MORE than a beautiful pianist, or a person that goes around the globe helping people out.
AND our systems for getting money where it needs to be IS generally clogged and stuck in the area it is generated.

Our system is not perfect, and I think that most people just GIVE IN to one extreme view or another in the face of that truth.

THUSLY, no true legends, just ADVOCATES, or very skilled or accomplished people in business.

but like someone else said, they are rare to spot

Well... who is even looking?

THAT is the real shocker...
Apathy from the general populus really is what disincentivises, truly legendary acts, because business is seen as bland, emotionless, and just a necessity.

Its a shame, but business doesn't promote, THAT particular and rare side, so I think, any would be legends are just put off the scent, and become good businessmen and happy with their job as an entreprenuer.

This explosive legend title.
Its a vanity, in a world where, prices are paid for real.
The room for imagination is slimmer in business than other fields (or is percieved that way)
So unfortunately, legends are not just hard to spot or recognise (though that would be the case if they are or were out there) they are harder to encourage to exist.

Its a tough climate, and all too often that climate is an excuse for people to out their inner malice, in some form or another.
And any Legends die out with their choice to quickly progress, over mire themselves in the pains and concerns, business has tied to it.

IS YODA OUT THERE?
Well, sure its possible, but I will say NO.
You have to define what that is for yourself, and do your best to not be petty, and that is fn hard in business. Very very very hard.

Yoda if he exists, will change lives, not linger around to inspire us foot soldiers.
If we wanna be good people, its on us.

Last edited:

Semmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2014
Canary Islands, Spain
I have a shared a private resource with you in a private conversation, let me know if that would answer what you were talking about. I was thinking more into the direction of is "anonymous" success and influence possible. Which I say yes. There is no need to show your face in order to be a "legend" however you want to define that.

Last edited:

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
I don't think I'm wrong, but I believe they are POSSIBLE
And I agree that, its just as tricky to spot as it is to find.

The reason, I say "no" as a definitive conclusion, is that I feel the field in being compared to other creative fields, has a much more volatile foundation, which makes it a LOT harder for Legends to be truly worth that name.

... For me, its a similar question to, does true love exist?
People can romanticise and collect their own point of view, but that view is always going to be biased by a persons hopes and ambitions, rather than the sheer integrity the thing on its own merit.

Its tough, to truly admit that there are no businessmen/women I would idolise at 100%. However, I think that in the pursuit of your own originality, and in the process of deciding how high to set the bar for yourself, you should always try to go higher than what you see out there. You should strive for your best.

Do I believe there are people that raise the bar over the general consensus?
I do.

But I still only would idolise them at say 30% of the capacity of what I would consider a true Legend.
I think its because business EXCLUDES certain practices that raise the bar.

I think business requires higher personal skills than most entreprenuers have
Higher empathy
Higher awareness regarding the climate your actions create
A broader definition of success
A broader definition of business (what is and isn't included)
A stronger tolerance level for financial pain
A stronger hold on your own emotions

I think we can be so much more.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, infact the opposite
I mean to be realistic
And sweep aside the Narcissism, Attention seeking, Self glorification, and cut to the chase.

People, do, cop out... Eventually.
And I did, find that very traumatic.

Much like love. Most people are selfish. Or underdeveloped.
It is NOT THEIR FAULT and it does not mean they don't have a good life and a great HOLD on business (people do certainly enjoy business and do good things with it that are admirable)

But true "legends" per se.
Its LESS encouraged.

- customers don't ask you to be better
- you don't have an audience
- you are not expressing something or judging how others feel deeply

The most you get is
- diligence for customers
- achieving for self and friends
- looking into how people like and buy certain things

You get very SKILLED at that.
But those things, are not truly legendary, but rather necessary.
And to inflate that skill or to idolise it, imo does you a disservice because you really can stand for more than the minimum.

Unfortunately, guys like Ford, Gates, Buffet etc
I'm like...
Meh

Ford pollutes the planet, cr#pped on workers, a total narcissist - But excellent execution
Gates, is an underhanded kinda guy, likes to win, highly selfish/self centered (cr#p empathy) - But did good because, he created the business behind a pretty decent and widely used operating system (and he does a lot of charity work and will pass on most of his money when he goes, so he isn't a horder)
Buffet, propogates this almost patronising view of wealth, and your place in it - But he's an open guy, pleasant

They are very much imo, flawed.
Most people you could ever pick are.

And, I remind myself of that every day
You can't get by, thinking you can just COPY someone else and be called a good man.

To me, you have to push that envelope.
And you have to keep pushing it.

And most people in business (if not all)
Stop pushing, or never push in the places that would make them a TRUE legend.

Now, I have a "high" standard, but thats my standard, and I'm darn entitled to it.
So, I don't feel I'm wrong at all.

I do however think, one has to be optimistic about the people we do have, but just be AWARE, that business is not a righteous crusade to pretty much anyone, after they hit the grindstone.
There is always something lost.

And I think business, while nothing like the badguy portrayed in movies.
Is not as good as it could be, because it has a blindspot to the creative, the emotional, and the deservedness of others.

DO I DESERVE MONEY BECAUSE I AM SKILLED AT THE PURSUIT OF IT?
No...
I do not deserve money MORE than a beautiful pianist, or a person that goes around the globe helping people out.
AND our systems for getting money where it needs to be IS generally clogged and stuck in the area it is generated.

Our system is not perfect, and I think that most people just GIVE IN to one extreme view or another in the face of that truth.

THUSLY, no true legends, just ADVOCATES, or very skilled or accomplished people in business.

Well... who is even looking?

THAT is the real shocker...
Apathy from the general populus really is what disincentivises, truly legendary acts, because business is seen as bland, emotionless, and just a necessity.

Its a shame, but business doesn't promote, THAT particular and rare side, so I think, any would be legends are just put off the scent, and become good businessmen and happy with their job as an entreprenuer.

This explosive legend title.
Its a vanity, in a world where, prices are paid for real.
The room for imagination is slimmer in business than other fields (or is percieved that way)
So unfortunately, legends are not just hard to spot or recognise (though that would be the case if they are or were out there) they are harder to encourage to exist.

Its a tough climate, and all too often that climate is an excuse for people to out their inner malice, in some form or another.
And any Legends die out with their choice to quickly progress, over mire themselves in the pains and concerns, business has tied to it.

IS YODA OUT THERE?
Well, sure its possible, but I will say NO.
You have to define what that is for yourself, and do your best to not be petty, and that is fn hard in business. Very very very hard.

Yoda if he exists, will change lives, not linger around to inspire us foot soldiers.
If we wanna be good people, its on us.

wow! this is a crazy well thought out post.

you are definitely right, if i understood you correctly lol. or i mean that i agree with you

a true legend would manage to find a way to achieve success through ways that other businessmen don't

without exploiting people/things
staying within ethical boundaries unlike the pyramid scheme artists
list goes on into crazy detail just from what you said.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.