The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First Apartment Building Acquisition Done

G

Guest14692

Shout out to G_Alexander, who inspired me both with mobile home investing and multi-family investing a few years back. On Friday, July 25th I closed on my first multi-family apartment building.

This property is precisely what I mentioned back in the STOP paying rent RE thread

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...g-rent-live-for-free.51893/page-3#post-386141

It is a 4 unit home. Almost a motel-style one story on a concrete slab. Built in 1985. Roughly 3,300 sq ft.

image1_zpscbf86553.jpg

front_zpsb4b1e776.png

The building was not for sale initially. I contacted the owners and let them know I was willing to buy. Got the call about 3 days later and starting writing up the contract.

Out of the 4 units, 2 are completely remodeled. The other two are still in very livable conditions, especialy given the location (low-median income rural village about 1 hour from both Buffalo and Rochester, NY). No damage, jut outdated.

Unit 1 - 2 Beds, 1 Bath
Unit 2 – 2 Beds, 1 Bath
Unit 3 – 1 Beds, 1 Bath
Unit 4 – 2 Beds, 1 Bath

image2_zps3ad8421c.jpg

image3_zps801d8578.jpg

image4_zps17d02b08.jpg

bath_zps98c23c02.png

They all came with the appliances and there is community laundry room.

I went into this deal initially thinking 3.5% FHA would suffice. However, because it was a 4 unit, I had to put 10% down. I barely made through the approval. Put 10% down under FHA lending and locked in a 3.75% 30-year mortgage. Affadavit states I need to live at the property for one year.

Deal Details
Cost summary:
$1,000 earnest money
~$23,000 due at closing

Capital Improvements:
No initial capital improvements necessary. The two units that are outdated have had the same tenants occupying the property for 5+ years. (One tenant has been there for 14 years).

+Monthly Cash Inflow:
Unit 1 rent: $475 - (Tenant received discount for living 10+ years, I am okay with honoring)
Unit 2 rent: $400 – ($500 per month -$100 discount for full property maintenance)*
Unit 3 rent: $500 – (New tenant just moved in 08/01)
Unit 4 rent: $0 - (Owner occupied. Also the best unit, being 2 bed and fully renovated- will be $550)
Laundry: Currently Free
Total:$1375while honoring the contract and living in the unit
Total: $1925 once it becomes non-owner occupied

*If I’m only staying for one year, I feel like I might as well accept this discount for the time being, and then he can continue to maintain the property once it becomes non-owner occupied

Once new tenants move in and discounts are taken off, I’m looking at $2050 in monthly revenue without any renovations

Mortgage, Taxes, Insurance: $972.86
Gas for unit 4 and laundry: ~$100.00
Water: ~$70.00
Monthly Cash Flow:$232.15
Monthly Cash Flow after one year: ~$850.00

Short term: Live at my unit until it is legally permissible to leave, and fully maximize rental income

Mid: Tear up the rugs and put in new floors for the two units not renovated, charge $550/month minimum for all units which would take me to over $1,000 profit per month.

Long term goal: Acquire more properties. I’m thinking maybe a duplex in WNY. I would also like to expand my knowledge on real estate syndication. I interned at a commercial appraisal firm while working full-time and learned all about market research for enormous apartment buildings, where to find the resources online, who to call, what to study, etc. It was definitely a value-added experience.

-Joe

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

SIcmart

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 17, 2012
SoCal
Hey Joe,

Great post and kudos for taking action!

Just curious, how / why did this property stand out to you? Had you looked at others before this?

-JB

G

Guest14692

Hey Joe,

Great post and kudos for taking action!

Just curious, how / why did this property stand out to you? Had you looked at others before this?

-JB

Thanks for the reply!

Why it stood out
1. It was a property that is newly built and all major upgrades will be good for 15+ years assuming all goes well
2. It was affordable because of the area. My loan for the property is about $104k. I wouldn't have been able to afford a 4 unit in this condition anywhere else
3. I know that it is one of two total multi unity properties in the area, and there is plenty of people looking to rent in the area. The other property is in rough condition.
4. My father lives two houses down, and will be able to handle all other maintenance for cheap. He will also be able to renovate when the time comes and I won't have to pay a contractor. It will be very low cost.
5. When new tenants move in and there is no concessions or discounts, a 50% vacancy would still pay off the mortgage.

Thanks,
-Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Geeko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 19, 2014
Congrats man! Im currently reserching REI and i plan on taking a path similar to this. Did you have to put $24000 of your own money down or $1000 earnest only? I guess theres no way for you to "room swap" and live in the 1 bed 1 bath and charge the renter more? Personally i would bite the bullet to pocket the extra $25-$75/month. Where i live housing is expensive, im saving up for my first income property currently.

Sent from my SGH-S730M using Tapatalk

G

Guest14692

Congrats man! Im currently reserching REI and i plan on taking a path similar to this. Did you have to put $24000 of your own money down or $1000 earnest only? I guess theres no way for you to "room swap" and live in the 1 bed 1 bath and charge the renter more? Personally i would bite the bullet to pocket the extra $25-$75/month. Where i live housing is expensive, im saving up for my first income property currently.

Sent from my SGH-S730M using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I had to put down 10% so all of it. It was a bit extreme but it will pay off eventually. I remember thinking it might be too much money, and after revisiting G_Alexanders thread and him mentioning he would spend roughly 20k remodeling the basement, I moved forward with the downpayment knowing that I won't have to spend nearly as much for a very long time on the property.

This was a conservative buy, and only when I feel comfortable and knowledgeable enough of the business will I go for properties that are essentially cheaper. Buffalo NY has great market for depressed properties that students will gladly live in. My old landlord has 60+ properties and they would pay themselves off in 3 years in the college areas. I hope to get there soon enough!

And your absolutely right. I could move into the 1 bedroom. However, seeing as how I'm not currently fully maximizing the property yet and I'm already required to live there, I would rather take the nicest unit. Just a personal choice.

Thanks,
-Joe

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I'll be following your journey, I'd like to start doing the same once our student loans are taken care of. Looks like a pretty good buy to me!

G

Guest14692

I'll be following your journey, I'd like to start doing the same once our student loans are taken care of. Looks like a pretty good buy to me!

Yeah my student loans were definitely taken into consideration when contemplating the purchase. Luckily, I'm only ~25k in debt. I can afford both at this point.

Appreciate the post!
-Joe

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
So how would you go about financing this if you could not have gotten the loan? Just putting out scenarios. Also can you go more in depth about your approach to the owners of the unit before? Was there a need for them to sell or just convenience?

Justin.p

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 10, 2014
Austin, TX
The building was not for sale initially. I contacted the owners and let them know I was willing to buy. Got the call about 3 days later and starting writing up the contract.

Very interesting. What strategy did you pursue exactly to end up with a building that wasn't for sale? You sent out a bunch of letters to the owners of all nearby properties that looked interesting and this is the one that responded - or you just got lucky on your first try - or you worked on one that was your dream building and made a valiant effort to convince them?

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 20, 2012
Awesome thread! Very nice units! Why couldn't you do the DP at 3.5% FHA? I thought 3.5% was allowed on multi-units too.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
940%
Jun 7, 2008
Mortgage, Taxes, Insurance: $972.86
Gas for unit 4 and laundry: ~$100.00
Water: ~$70.00
Monthly Cash Flow:$232.15

BOOM! Congrats @joefazzolari . Way to take action. Way to live for free. Whatever you do for the rest of your life, you will have a safe-house and leverageable asset to go back to if all else fails.

Love seeing this. Rep++

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Congratulations!!

The best deals are always the ones which are not advertised, no "for sale" sign in the front, not listed.

Good job contacting the owners even though it was not advertised for sale. That is how you beat the competition to the BEST opportunities.

Next time try to negotiate seller financing. I bet the sellers would love to get the 10% down and 3.75% interest. They sure can't earn that kind of interest in any bank in the USA. Even if you pay a little more, it is worth it to buy with seller financing because you can avoid all the loan fees.

Keep up the great work.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Congratulations!!

The best deals are always the ones which are not advertised, no "for sale" sign in the front, not listed.

Good job contacting the owners even though it was not advertised for sale. That is how you beat the competition to the BEST opportunities.

Next time try to negotiate seller financing. I bet the sellers would love to get the 10% down and 3.75% interest. They sure can't earn that kind of interest in any bank in the USA. Even if you pay a little more, it is worth it to buy with seller financing because you can avoid all the loan fees.

Keep up the great work.

Are there any big disadvantages to doing seller financing?

D

DeletedUser394

Good job bro.

Just looking at those numbers and thinking to myself...damn real estate here in Canada is expensive right now lol.

Seriously.

$230k for a 4-plex? I can't even get a rat infested 1 room condo/shack in the shady part of China Town for that price.

I'm going to be looking into hooking up with some American investors, because it's not feasible here.

G

Guest14692

Seriously.

$230k for a 4-plex? I can't even get a rat infested 1 room condo/shack in the shady part of China Town for that price.

I'm going to be looking into hooking up with some American investors, because it's not feasible here.

Wish you the best! Much of my 10% downpayment had closing cost, attorney fees, and I paid for the sellers fees as well as part of the agreement. I actually acquired the property for $125,000 :smoking:

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
Thanks! It was mainly life savings... and during my four years in college I was doing offline CPA banner advertising

Thanks,
-Joe

Nice, I'm not sure how it works in the USA, but how long will it be before you can take out another mortgage? I am almost in the same position to buy a rental property, but unsure of how it would affect any future mortgage applications I apply for.

Nica

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 25, 2015
Congrats on this. Taking action is key. One day, I'll join the "live for free" club too. :)

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
@joefazzolari It's been several years. Any updates with this property?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.