The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Maybe someone can help set me straight?

Nova0387

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 31, 2014
Hey Guys-

So here's my dilemma. Right now I'm currently a digital marketing expert doing exceptionally well at that but I know at the end of the day it's not my calling and really a slow lane gig that's going to help me transition into fast lane. I have read the MF book and I really understand it's all about creating a solution for a need and not really to chase money but just solve a need and money to come to you. My situation is I don't really know which industry I really want to dedicate my energy and time to.

My first thought is I've always wanted to do real estate and my friends and family encourage me to do that seeing as my people skills are very good and I just have a genuine personality and can adapt to many of situations. After really reading so much on this forum the last couple weeks and learning about amazon/ebay/ecommerce/private label selling it really has me intrigued that I can really "impact millions" more-so that way. Also in my eyes it will sustain more of an passive income as I won't be trading as much time for money and can really create a international brand this way. So my question really is knowing what most of you know now, which of the two would you dedicate your time and energy into over the next couple of years?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
If your family and friends are saying you have very good people skills then you should take notes because others will probably think the same. Find ways to maximize and leverage that, then make a decision regardless of what it is. It doesn't necessarily have to be real estate but if you wanted that then now you have passion+strength, I'd say dive in but get the "impact millions" or other crap out of your head because you're not there yet, focus on what's infront of you and enjoy the ride.

Nova0387

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 31, 2014
I def appreciate that.. I guess I'm looking from standpoint that in the last couple years ecommerce and internet based businesses seem like the way to really build capital and freedom (assuming you're willing to put the work in) and so I'm just wondering would some advise that if your goal is ultimately financial freedom and not being tied to a boss forever, that's the avenue to pursue in 2015.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but just solve a need

I would say it's more about providing value than just solving needs. A need implies value. But value can be anything-- better service, better product, better user experience, better this, better that. Many needs are solved, but solved poorly. Also many needs are not immediately felt or seen as needs. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

focus on what's infront of you

Indeed. If you can provide self-created (need, control) value in a defensible (entry) position and earn a marginal profit on that value, you're 1/3 of way there. The rest is about scaling and streamlining (scale/time).

Nova0387

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 31, 2014
I would say it's more about providing value than just solving needs. A need implies value. But value can be anything-- better service, better product, better user experience, better this, better that. Many needs are solved, but solved poorly. Also many needs are not immediately felt or seen as needs. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Indeed. If you can provide self-created (need, control) value in a defensible (entry) position and earn a marginal profit on that value, you're 1/3 of way there. The rest is about scaling and streamlining (scale/time).

Thanks for much MJ. I reallly love being able to come to this forum and pick the brains of this community. As far as the "provide self-created value in a defensible position) can you elaborate on this a little bit more if you don't mind? Again, i'm very grateful for the time you're taking to shoot me your thoughts.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Why not productize your digital marketing ability? Maybe start a consulting firm, teach some people, use people skills and get clients, give to the people you taught, give them 30% as salary and while theyre dealing with clients you have seminars (web or otherwise), write an ebook, etc

G

GuestUser113

A man who goes to a hardware store to buy a power drill doesn't really need a drill — he needs holes. He has a financial, emotional, logical or intellectual need for holes. He might think he wants a drill. But it's your responsibility to determine the real truth and his real need. Your responsibility and opportunity is not to just sell him a drill. You must figure out how to satisfy his financial, emotional, logical or intellectual need for holes and make sure the drill he buys from you will solve his problem and give him the exact holes he needs. Or maybe he thinks he wants holes, but when you find out that he needs to insert rods in these holes, you realize that fasteners would work better than holes. So you sell the client some fasteners. You have truly solved his problem.

Nova0387

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 31, 2014
Why not productize your digital marketing ability? Maybe start a consulting firm, teach some people, use people skills and get clients, give to the people you taught, give them 30% as salary and while theyre dealing with clients you have seminars (web or otherwise), write an ebook, etc

Because I work for a large company and so I'm not actually behind the technology. I'm just a marketing consultant so I discover their needs and try to find a solution (based on the products we have) to sell them. So me going out on my own wouldn't really work because I don't have the programs to back me. Maybe I could write an ebook telling about the selling process and how i've been so successful doing it but tbh I've never been a writer. Just being honest.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Why not develop your own products that are better? Sounds like you're being used on the productize-ing of your service. Take a look at my post...I said

1. Consult
2. Productize
3. Hire/teach
4. Give them a % and/or salary
5. Profit

Sound familiar? Sounds like you were a result of 3 and are now a part of 4, while the big wigs have done 1, 2 and 3 and are now doing 5.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
What makes you a "digital marketing expert" that other people don't have? What do you do "exceptionally" well that is bringing you results?

If you can package that into a product and market it well... you know how that goes.

You may not exactly love what you're doing, but that shouldn't stop you to provide a solution for those who love it and enjoy some passive income. People love to buy from the experts.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.