The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Young entrepreneur program

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Being in this forum and seeing a lot of young entrepreneur inspired me to offer a new program in my learning centre ...........You guessed it : Young entrepreneur program.
It will run during March break : March 2 -March 6 .... ( as a project pilot ... Not sure if it's the proper name in English )

Thanks sooooo much @MJ DeMarco ....your work is not only inspiring me but it will have a direct impact on the children i work with .....And changing children's lives in a very tangible manner is the best reward ever.

Any ideas ? Suggestions ??? ....There will be an e-commerce emphasis for sure ( ohhh the challenge, for somebody who doesnt know anything about e-commerce :)))
Mindset, negociation skills will be shown as well
I already talked to some parents and the response is amazing.
Thanks and i will post my progress

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So cool to hear this. A wonderful idea.

I would suggest starting out with the differences between entrepreneurship and a job. The pros/cons insofar as risk, discipline, regular paychecks (or not), etc.

I think the biggest barrier to getting started as an entrepreneur is bringing an employee mindset to an employer game.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
The program will be for children between 10 and -14 Maybe 16 by the way

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The program will be for children between 10 and -14 Maybe 16 by the way

I think that's a great age to introduce them to the conceptual differences between jobs/business, and maybe teach them that not all business owners are tycoons hell-bent on taking over the world (which is the common archetype used in Hollywood, lol.)

I look forward to hearing how it goes and what the curriculum might bE!!!

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Great idea!

Maybe I would try to show the difference between a consumer and producer. They may already can benefit of it at a young age with saving their pocket money instead of blowing it for new phones.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Great idea!

Maybe I would try to show the difference between a consumer and producer. They may already can benefit of it at a young age with saving their pocket money instead of blowing it for new phones.

Absolutely ! Thanks added to the program !

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I think that's a great age to introduce them to the conceptual differences between jobs/business, and maybe teach them that not all business owners are tycoons hell-bent on taking over the world (which is the common archetype used in Hollywood, lol.)

I look forward to hearing how it goes and what the curriculum might bE!!!

That will be the material for day 1, first hours ( kill some myths about business owners )

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
10 is a little young IMO. I think 14-16 would better. Just my opinoin

Thanks for the feedback ....there will be two groups one 10 to 12 the other 12-14
Keep in mind that the main purpose of this program will be to ignite the fire.

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
I understand, but what will the course consist of? If youre 10 youre in grade 4 I believe, I couldnt see people of this age really taking anything seriously at all. Again, just my opinin.. you never know

TheNextTrump

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 7, 2012
Omaha, NE.
Great to hear about your new adventure, I think it's great to help out the young bucks trying to learn the (ins & outs) of entrepreneurship.

Best success on completing your goals.

As I am still in the early stage of my journey, I don't have the value to start throwing out advice.

But one thing I would recommend is making it VERY CLEAR that you don't just go (find) some rich guy that has already made it and pitch your ideas.

Being young and eager to learn how to make it to the (big leagues) I focused on (finding) that special person that will just love what I have to say and buy into me lol. I literally believed from the age of 10-16/17 that this is how you MAKE it. I just bust my a$$ on writing out plans/ideas and surely one day I'll meet that special person that will give me a shot.

My point being, I think younger people have a hard time understanding that they will have to put in the work to build a business, and when you’re that young. You really have the slightest clue on where to start.

Best success!

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 4, 2014
One of the best ideas that I have ever come across. I stopped myself from doing a search and putting some ideas down - thought I'd show you how I was going to do it(you'll be knowing this too I'm sure).

Search for "business for teens" in the Amazon books section and "look inside" the table of contents for the first few books on the page. Then look at some of the detailed reviews in the 1-3 star categories of those books. You'll find people talking about what is missing the book. This is just one way to start on a great curriculum for your program.

You may need to approach mindset training for the age group in a different way than adults I guess. Most of the books at Amazon have some good pointers that can help. For example one book had this in the title - "The Complete Teen Business Guide to Turning Your Passions into Pay". Many young teens have interests like games and gadgets and they' ll get excited wanting to know how they can turn their passions into an income as/when they grow up into adults.

Another books says in the title - "8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of". That is a very catchy title indeed because, and I know from my own teenage years, that all kids in that age group would love to know how to make that possible!

I have read about teenagers paying their own college fees through their online income and if you can show them how to set up a small online business that can pay their fees that would be a great achievement.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
I think that this is a very good initiative.

Just a little thought:
When I was 10 years old, I wanted to be a bank robber and a fighter pilot at the same time.
That is for a kid with an IQ that belongs to the top 2% of the world(~140), so I can't imagine that other kids are much more developed in their way of thinking than fireman-cowboy, brankrobber, fighter pilot, famous, singer, dancer etc.

So I think a better age group would be 12-14 and 15-17. Adulthood is closer for them, their brains are more developed and are able to think somewhat reasonable.

Also to make this work I would suggest joining up with a Kid/teen psychologist. as to make things interesting for them you will need a total different language than for adults. "How to make more money than all your friends, and become the popular/rich kid in your school" is better than "How to make $1000 a month by running your own online business." (They cannot relate to that.they probably never even seen $1000 in their life. let along know it's value, also the words running a business is far away from being a teen. while competing with their friends is something they can do, and every kid wants to be popular/is jaleous of the rich kids in their school.)

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Update 1: - Contacted an entrepreneur in the area to come as a guest speaker
- Contacted a professional athlete from the area to come as a guest speaker as well ( both if they cant, asked them if they can refer people who can be available )

The idea is for young entrepreneur to hear " real " stories, " " real " lives been changed by perseverance and effort.
Waiting their response and working on the marketing material

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
One of the best ideas that I have ever come across. I stopped myself from doing a search and putting some ideas down - thought I'd show you how I was going to do it(you'll be knowing this too I'm sure).

Search for "business for teens" in the Amazon books section and "look inside" the table of contents for the first few books on the page. Then look at some of the detailed reviews in the 1-3 star categories of those books. You'll find people talking about what is missing the book. This is just one way to start on a great curriculum for your program.

You may need to approach mindset training for the age group in a different way than adults I guess. Most of the books at Amazon have some good pointers that can help. For example one book had this in the title - "The Complete Teen Business Guide to Turning Your Passions into Pay". Many young teens have interests like games and gadgets and they' ll get excited wanting to know how they can turn their passions into an income as/when they grow up into adults.

Another books says in the title - "8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of". That is a very catchy title indeed because, and I know from my own teenage years, that all kids in that age group would love to know how to make that possible!

I have read about teenagers paying their own college fees through their online income and if you can show them how to set up a small online business that can pay their fees that would be a great achievement.
Thanks very much for the effort and time to write this ....Very good idea

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I think that this is a very good initiative.

Just a little thought:
When I was 10 years old, I wanted to be a bank robber and a fighter pilot at the same time.
That is for a kid with an IQ that belongs to the top 2% of the world(~140), so I can't imagine that other kids are much more developed in their way of thinking than fireman-cowboy, brankrobber, fighter pilot, famous, singer, dancer etc.

So I think a better age group would be 12-14 and 15-17. Adulthood is closer for them, their brains are more developed and are able to think somewhat reasonable.

Also to make this work I would suggest joining up with a Kid/teen psychologist. as to make things interesting for them you will need a total different language than for adults. "How to make more money than all your friends, and become the popular/rich kid in your school" is better than "How to make $1000 a month by running your own online business." (They cannot relate to that.they probably never even seen $1000 in their life. let along know it's value, also the words running a business is far away from being a teen. while competing with their friends is something they can do, and every kid wants to be popular/is jaleous of the rich kids in their school.)
Thanks for the feedback .....

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Great idea OP
However ..I feel the real purpose of entrepreneurship for such a young age group initially has to be bonus driven, simplicity at its core. The average 10 year old cannot think outside the box except on a monetary level...Napoleon Hill Foundation did some cartoon comic series to teach kids about entrepreneurship some time back. Worth checking out . Lots of luck

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I love the idea and have thought about offering something similar. Keep us updated!

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Sounds like an awesome place you have!

If they are going to be starting on e-commerce, I would suggest having them get their first sales from friends + family and also with offline flyer distribution.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Update 2 :
Marketing material is ready for distribution after procrastinating about it the whole morning

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Update 2: Having a hard time marketing the program ...Why ? bureaucracy....i am told by the education commission that i cant advertise it because i am not a non-profit organization ....meanwhile, a guy that his wife works for the commission is advertising a day camp in all the schools . I brought that up to the Director, and told him the consequences would be serious in terms of reputation ( ie : the media will be informed ) ........
I am concentrating my energy and focus into finding new ways to reach my clientele. Private institutions is my target today and Monday.
Adversity has a very energizing effect on me

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I've found that directly advertising through schools is quite difficult - especially public schools. However, private schools always have events that can be sponsored or where you can pay to have a booth and can be a good way to advertise.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
You could possibly reach your target audience better via youth clubs, scouts etc.

There is a real need to have an entrepreneur programme incorporated into the school curriculum at an early age. ... Now that would be a legacy.

Last edited:

saigon

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Sep 25, 2011
NYC/CT/GA
Love the idea! I think the problem nowadays is, if your parents aren't entrepreneurial or you haven't found the knack on your own, you get swept into the system just to be spit back out by time you graduate HS/College. I wish something like this was available to me at that age. 10 is perfect! Lemonade stands anyone?

I try to tell my mom to not waste my little brother's entrepreneurial spirit at 13 like they squashed mine at 16. I'm paying the price now but better late than never. Have to harness it and help guide him to something greater than a 9 to 5, slowlane lifestyle swamped with another generation of unending student loan death. Definitely excited to see where this goes.

To combat the non-profit problem, what's stopping you from incorporating as one? You can still get a healthy salary and build something profitable and worthwhile. Non-profits are looked at a bit closer and more paperwork and logistics but it can be done.

Edit: To add, I can definitely see you partnering with larger organizations such as Big Brothers/Big Sisters, YMCA, YWCA, Junior Achievement (just taught this to some middle schoolers in Atlanta and they had entrepreneurial type questions/simulations in there which was different than when I took it as a kid), etc.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Update 2: Having a hard time marketing the program ...Why ? bureaucracy....i am told by the education commission that i cant advertise it because i am not a non-profit organization ....meanwhile, a guy that his wife works for the commission is advertising a day camp in all the schools . I brought that up to the Director, and told him the consequences would be serious in terms of reputation ( ie : the media will be informed ) ........
I am concentrating my energy and focus into finding new ways to reach my clientele. Private institutions is my target today and Monday.
Adversity has a very energizing effect on me

Do you have any meetups / parent groups that you can go to for clientele ?

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Update : this week was a rocky one, i have 5 weeks to have at least 5 registrations ..... One per week ... Doable.... I have another project, same week, bigger number to fill ...
It's challenging yet thrilling. La peur ( fear ) sneaks at times with the worst case scenarios ( i signed a contract, i will have pay the space even if i dont fill up the camps ) .... The fears becomes fuel .... I am sure i am not the only who feels the same ..... Fear is my best motivation ... I imagine the worst case scenarios and then i am up the whole night thinking about the best ways to do things.
On a positive note : received a call from a parent, we started talking about their needs etc ( i could tell she thought i was an employee .... We set up a meeting and asked how did she hear about E.... ( my company ) i always ask this question ... She said we heard a lot about Mrs K .. ( me ) .... That was the best gift ever as a business owner

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
I know my 15 year old nephew in Portugal blew me away last week with the amount of knowledge he has from a mandatory philosophy programme he did in school. Exploring a combination of philosophy, mindset and entrepreneurship could be the full deal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.