The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Make Six Figures From YouTube/eBooks

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

d.weglarz13

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 2, 2014
I've been enjoying this thread very much. Very interesting watching your progress. Thanks for letting us see what your shooting for. This actually helps me a lot, as I tend to have a problem with setting goals. They are usually too vague or large sometimes. Seeing your very realistic goals and you hitting them gives me some great motivation to do more "pushing." Thanks

dave

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
This is going to be an interesting month, as I'm going to use keywords differently then I have been. Along with titles and descriptions, the way I rank my YouTube videos are about to change. I believe I've found the way to get them ranked much higher. This is about to get really interesting...

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Great thread. Love the updates with progress.

What games do you have on your channel? Do you stick to one platform (console, PC, etc)?

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Great thread. Love the updates with progress.

What games do you have on your channel? Do you stick to one platform (console, PC, etc)?
I do lots of different games, on PC and PS4. Chivalry, Far Cry 4, GTA 5, Etc.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Here's some stats. Notice the % increase.
0LvTJBx.png

Below is views and estimated minutes watched from YouTube the last 30 days. These are a little more accurate compared to social blades stats above, still pretty close.
hU4Al4r.png

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
You sound like one busy dude! Seems like it would take a ridiculous amount of focus to juggle ebook writing, real estate learning, and then youtube/twitch; but maybe it doesn't take as much time as I am thinking. Which area are your ebooks in, or are they in various areas? Like do you write ebooks in areas related to your youtube channel or real estate, or just in whatever you feel like will do well? I don't need specific niches, just wondering how scattered you are (ie you mentioned you do PC and PS4 games for your youtube channel). How long are your ebooks in general? Congrats on the success, man!

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
You sound like one busy dude! Seems like it would take a ridiculous amount of focus to juggle ebook writing, real estate learning, and then youtube/twitch; but maybe it doesn't take as much time as I am thinking. Which area are your ebooks in, or are they in various areas? Like do you write ebooks in areas related to your youtube channel or real estate, or just in whatever you feel like will do well? I don't need specific niches, just wondering how scattered you are (ie you mentioned you do PC and PS4 games for your youtube channel). How long are your ebooks in general? Congrats on the success, man!
Have not had the time to really focus Twitch. It's kind of a secondary thing I'm not worried about at the moment this month. Only one or two eBooks iv'e sold related to my gaming channel. The other is non-fiction and fitness. I love working out.

D

Deleted27835

Goodluck @ChasingPaper... I'm interested in getting into Youtube at some point as well and I've found your thread very inspiring! I lived with a guy in california last summer who was somewhat of a 'youtube guru' in the health category. He has over 200,000 followers and people would recognize him everywhere he went! He was making enough to live just off of YouTube but was also monetizing with DVD'S, A paid membership site, and was marketing products that his friends created. The crazy thing was he started out living in an RV 5 years prior just posting videos. Anyways, all the best, looking forward to watching your progress :)

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

@ChasingPaper

We gotta shoot a vid from the top of Trump Tower here in Chiraq, nigga.

30 days and we up like Trump.

This song sounds tailor made for that Lambo tearin' up the streets of your home town. I recommend a sound system ($50,000 -$100,000), though. Gotta make the whole neighborhood.

I mean, you know. It ain't easy out here makin' this paper, bruh. You gotta make the ground shake when you roll through.

You know my pedigree, brother. You know (enough) of what I have going on out here in the real world to know Dr. HAHA Lung is sharpening his pencil for a brand new tale to tell: a sequel to legends of Musashi, Khan, Tzu, a story that would make Nietzsche himself rise up out of his grave and dance.

So, turn up the volume, brother. Whether we get this money together or not, we both know that the other has what it takes.

Middle fingers up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontev...e-score-from-silver-spooners-to-boostrappers/

Last edited:

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
That's awesome progress dude! :) Keep it up!

Last edited:

James_Bond

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 19, 2014
This is my first post on here, Hello everyone.

I do youtube too, I am between at 25,000 - 35,000 subscribers and get between 60-100 daily. I get 1,000,000 views a month on average and between 30,000 - 50,000 views daily, I am also in the same category as you "gaming".

I tried the Twitch path for six months solid and took my following on youtube over to twitch and it did not go well, there was almost no growth and Twitch is an entirely different game to YouTube. My plan at the moment is to do Twitch properly when I have around 500,000 subscribers. When I did Twitch daily it actually hurt my YouTube channel because I was not as laser focused on my channel.

I read "The Millionaire Fastlane " in only a few days last week and I really like this community so hopefully we can help each other out.

At the moment I am planning to continue to do YouTube while launching a business which satisfies all of the commandments MJ laid out.

Here is my brief analysis of YouTube through the lens of N E C T S:

Need – people want to be entertained and my channel fills this need. - PASS

Entry – Anyone can do YouTube, there is an insane amount of competition, barrier to entry is low and the market is saturated. FAIL • Exceptionalism is required to overcome weak entry barriers.

Control – I do not control how much I earn per 1000 views, I do not have control of my CPM. I am hitchhiking on the wagon of youtube and my gaming network, I am dependent upon them for my income. FAIL

Time – Youtube videos generate ad revenue regardless of what I am doing – PASS

Scale – Entertaining millions is certainly possible on youtube and I have done so many times. – PASS

Looking at this YouTube is somewhere in-between the slowlane and fastlane, I think I can continue to do YouTube on the side and make what MJ calls "Good Money" but using YouTube to make "Insane Money" in my opinion is a pipe dream.

Last edited:

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Been a little bit since my last update, things are still growing. I am stuck at a view count of around 130k for last 30 days, I need to make this rise. I have some ideas. Subscriber growth is still coming. Will update you guys on specific numbers in a day or two. May just be one big update on last day of 2014. 2015 is coming, and it's coming quickly. Six Figures 2015. Gotta make it happen.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
This is my first post on here, Hello everyone.

I do youtube too, I am between at 25,000 - 35,000 subscribers and get between 60-100 daily. I get 1,000,000 views a month on average and between 30,000 - 50,000 views daily, I am also in the same category as you "gaming".

I tried the Twitch path for six months solid and took my following on youtube over to twitch and it did not go well, there was almost no growth and Twitch is an entirely different game to YouTube. My plan at the moment is to do Twitch properly when I have around 500,000 subscribers. When I did Twitch daily it actually hurt my YouTube channel because I was not as laser focused on my channel.

I read "The Millionaire Fastlane " in only a few days last week and I really like this community so hopefully we can help each other out.

At the moment I am planning to continue to do YouTube while launching a business which satisfies all of the commandments MJ laid out.

Here is my brief analysis of YouTube through the lens of N E C T S:

Need – people want to be entertained and my channel fills this need. - PASS

Entry – Anyone can do YouTube, there is an insane amount of competition, barrier to entry is low and the market is saturated. FAIL • Exceptionalism is required to overcome weak entry barriers.

Control – I do not control how much I earn per 1000 views, I do not have control of my CPM. I am hitchhiking on the wagon of youtube and my gaming network, I am dependent upon them for my income. FAIL

Time – Youtube videos generate ad revenue regardless of what I am doing – PASS

Scale – Entertaining millions is certainly possible on youtube and I have done so many times. – PASS

Looking at this YouTube is somewhere in-between the slowlane and fastlane, I think I can continue to do YouTube on the side and make what MJ calls "Good Money" but using YouTube to make "Insane Money" in my opinion is a pipe dream.
Welcome to the forum! I completely agree with everything you have said. I sent you a PM by the way!

1,000,000 views a month man, that's awesome! Pretty crazy if you think about it. It's kinda weird thinking someone is watching me every second of the day...(The last 30 days have a time of around 1 year 10 days watched)

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011

This is not entirely true. You can control what you decide to advertise on your channel/videos and therefore influence what you earn. You can choose to advertise for your own products/ website etc. on your channel and therefore regain some control over your overall profitability. There are quite a few well know youtubers who do this quite successfully. Not sure how this will work in the gaming niche but I can think of numerous folks in the fitness, business, real estate, comedy, and sports niches that Im sure do very well with this strategy.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
This is not entirely true. You can control what you decide to advertise on your channel/videos and therefore influence what you earn. You can choose to advertise for your own products/ website etc. on your channel and therefore regain some control over your overall profitability. There are quite a few well know youtubers who do this quite successfully. Not sure how this will work in the gaming niche but I can think of numerous folks in the fitness, business, real estate, comedy, and sports niches that Im sure do very well with this strategy.
He's not talking about controlling what he earns. He's talking about the YouTube platform. What if YouTube decides no more gaming videos? We are screwed there. That's what he's talking about.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
He's not talking about controlling what he earns. He's talking about the YouTube platform. What if YouTube decides no more gaming videos? We are screwed there. That's what he's talking about.

My statement was based off his comments about his lack of control over his earnings per 1000 views etc. but I will definitely agree with you about lack of platform control. That being said I know several youtubers who have started to direct their traffic to their own sites, similar to ebayer's and eCommerce. A few methods I have seen is to put out previews or limited versions of their show etc with links to the full videos on their website or making their usual videos and putting exclusive content on their sites. Then promoting that content during their usual shows etc.

Anyways I am not a major youtuber from the producer side but more on the consumer side of things. That being said I have been watching some of these folks for a number of years and have seen their businesses evolve over the years. Best of luck to yall.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Goodluck @ChasingPaper... I'm interested in getting into Youtube at some point as well and I've found your thread very inspiring! I lived with a guy in california last summer who was somewhat of a 'youtube guru' in the health category. He has over 200,000 followers and people would recognize him everywhere he went! He was making enough to live just off of YouTube but was also monetizing with DVD'S, A paid membership site, and was marketing products that his friends created. The crazy thing was he started out living in an RV 5 years prior just posting videos. Anyways, all the best, looking forward to watching your progress :)
Gotta be Dan the man?

James_Bond

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 19, 2014

It is true that you can do that in other areas, when it comes to gaming though I don't know what you could create. Other than an actual video game or the launch of some kind of blog or review site.

Using audible as an affiliate can work well, not sure what other ones are out there. There is an amazon affiliate that I have seen being used by youtubers before too.

Last edited:

James_Bond

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 19, 2014
My statement was based off his comments about his lack of control over his earnings per 1000 views etc. but I will definitely agree with you about lack of platform control. That being said I know several youtubers who have started to direct their traffic to their own sites, similar to ebayer's and eCommerce. A few methods I have seen is to put out previews or limited versions of their show etc with links to the full videos on their website or making their usual videos and putting exclusive content on their sites. Then promoting that content during their usual shows etc.

Anyways I am not a major youtuber from the producer side but more on the consumer side of things. That being said I have been watching some of these folks for a number of years and have seen their businesses evolve over the years. Best of luck to yall.

That sounds like a really good idea, I think I've seen that being done a few times too.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Merry Christmas Eve everyone, it's getting quite close to 2015. My stats have been steadily rising this past month, until about 5 days ago. They started going up quickly then. I have started to spend more time on my videos, editing, production, etc. It's ranking in quite a bit more subscribers per day then expected. If I can maintain and build off this I see extremely good things for my channel in late January/February. If I can keep rising like I have been these past 5 days and keep growing I see my channel making minimum wage per day late next month. That'd take a lot of stress off me.

I'll give you an update on numbers at the end of this month, I am 99% sure I will hit my view goal, as i'm extremely close to hitting it. I'm sitting at 140k views this month, and it's rising quite fast now. Subscribers have really started to pick up these last 5 days since i'm focusing on quality, though i'm not sure if I'll hit 980 subs or whatever number it was this month, i'll come quite close. I need to keep focusing on the quality of my videos, I need to do some collaborations to get my channel even more exposure.

As some of you all know, I do have a couple eBooks out there, and I've been meaning to write more but i'm really trying to get my YouTube to take off. I see the sales chart, I've really only worked hard on eBooks one week honestly. I think if I put more time into it I could grow it as well. It's not a lot of money, but here is my sales chart for eBooks on Amazon, I think it shows potential.

9R5QfGL.png

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
What's up guys. Been a while since I posted. View count goal was reached, sub goal reached, so that's all good news. I'm going to release one video per day on YouTube to keep it climbing. However, I have developed a routine that's going to be insane in the eBook world. January is going to be life changing, i'm starting this year off right. The most sales I've got on ebooks is like 3 lol...I'm about to blow that away.

Goals will now include eBook goals. These goals are mainly going to be focused on publishing eBooks, however a sales goal will be involved sometimes.

January 2015 eBook Goals:
- I'm going to publish at LEAST 10 eBooks. These eBooks will be over 5,000 words long, formatted and edited correctly.

- Buy a membership at a photo-stock site so I can make my own covers and not depend on fiverr.

- Going to implement a link to build an email list in all of the eBooks I release from now on.

(Note: I'm shooting for more then 10 eBooks published this month, though I WILL publish 10 at the very least.)

I have already completed one eBook, i'm waiting for a cover to be designed by my fiverr guy...sigh. That's why I need to learn and have complete control over the whole process. I want to build an empire.

YouTube January 2015 Goals:
I'm going to keep it simple this month. I want at least a 30% increase this month compared to December in terms of Views, Subscribers, and Total minutes watched.

Starting January 8th this month, i'm attending a two month class I have to take for Real Estate. This is going to take time away, but it will be worth it in the end. These goals will be met. If this eBook routine works like I think....oh God it's going to be amazing. I'm also going to work on creating a sales funnel with eBooks without using amazon on some of them. This is going to be an interesting month. With roughly 26 days left or so of the month, I gotta get going! I got eBooks and videos to do!

(Note: I'n February i'm going to add a monetary goal on eBooks once I can see how this method works.)

I think i'm about to surprise some of you...even myself.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I just finished my second eBook. I'm feeling good. Iv'e never wrote this much before in a day. Iv'e wrote over 5k words like it's nothing. 2/10 complete. They still have not been published yet, receiving one cover tonight from my fiverr guy. Going to go ahead and submit him the second cover request after I receive the cover. I will research the best photostock website this week sometime so I can create my own. Also going to research amazon keyword and description system to learn how to put my book on amazon effectively and have a good impact. Each book is becoming much better compared to the last as my skills increase. You just have to do it.

I'm excited to see how these books do on the market. The mistake most people make is getting caught up to see how a book is doing and all of that good stuff, I won't let that happen. Monday and Tuesday I'm going to try to complete another eBook of at least 5k words. I'm going to keep doing these 5k word stories, but I want to break into some longer books in the future. I may try to do a 10k-15k word story at the end of this month after I hit my eBook goals. I think I can pull in 5k USD this month.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Cool, are there Bugatti pics I missed somewhere?

Start thinking about ways to control your subscriber base, perhaps your own branded website with an email grab. You don't want YouTube controlling your entire brand and if you get huge, you will want a divestiture away from them. YouTube is a great way to create stardom, but in the end, you want to be autonomous and make YT a tool, not a symbiont partner.

Hey Mj, can you change the title and add /eBooks or "and eBooks" at the end of my title. I'd appreciate it, thanks.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Just finished third eBook. Have not done much at all except write. I have 3 books that need uploaded to Amazon now. I'm starting the fourth tonight. I'm ahead of schedule but have to keep this pace if I want to reach my goals.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I will BE outsourcing the cover. I've read finding your own fiverr person is the way to go. I'm giving a new person a shot who delivers all orders in less than 24 hours. This way I can just focus on the books. Fourth eBook will start tonight, I'm writing over 5,000 words every day. Just submitted two eBook cover request to new fiverr person I'm trying out.

Last edited:

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I'm going to have to pump out some extra videos this weekend to get my YouTube out of this rut, It's not going down or anything but it's not rising.

eBooks: At the end of today I will have wrote 35,000 words this month. (It's only January 7th.) I'm writing 5,000 words a day, I have 3 books being published, I'm working hard...like really hard on it.

I'm going to keep doing at least 5k words a day, at the end of the month i'll have over 150,000 words done. I have lots of releases planned for this month and am hoping they do well. I'm working on establishing a pen name, and working on a book for another pen name.

I have found not to go on author forums too much, they discourage and preach the message I am not after. They all are broke and are full time authors, do you know why? They all preach "Write for passion not money." That's not my cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of writing but you know what I am a fan of? Those crispy Ben Franklin $100 bills.

Having enough of those Franklins allow you to make even more Franklins. You can buy any material thing you want with em. They are cool.

My post gradually get longer, I think it's because I'm used to writing tons of words now. I'm off to go write some more. I've learned a lot writing these past few days, it's been an interesting ride so far.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.