The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Flipping Dead People the Bird

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I think what drives ... at least some of us ... to succeed ... is a burning desire ... to flip certain people in our lives the bird.

People who put you down ... slow lane types who took pleasure in your setbacks and stumbles ... people who never believed in you growing up ...

You want to climb that impossible mountain ... live a perfect life ... and enjoy the last laugh.

I know I do.

But it occurred to me recently ... some these people are getting older ... much older.

Like ... "about to kick the bucket" older.

Holy F*ck.

You can't die yet!

I haven't flipped you bird!

So anyway ... it occurred to me ... what if I climb that metaphorical mountain ... standing on top of the world ... and everyone I wanted to flip the bird to ... is dead and gone ...?

Man ... that would suck.

I don't know that there's a point to this thread ...

Just thinking out loud.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Its not so much the people that put me down that drives my pursuit for success. Its my drive to live a life where i dont dread going to work, to see my own success, and lastly to show old acquaintances/friends that I was able to do it, and i wont be in there life since they walked out of mine.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
So anyway ... it occurred to me ... what if I climb that metaphorical mountain ... standing on top of the world ... and everyone I wanted to flip the bird to ... is dead and gone ...?

You win. Who cares about them, especially at that point. Now, of course, if you manage to do it in time to rub it in their faces, it's cool to do so, and enjoy the priceless look on their faces, but that's all there is to it. Quick one time joy.

But to be completely open - I sure do enjoy the thought of having the last laugh, so it's part of my motivation too.

It's worse when it's the people you want to make proud that go away before they can see you succeed.

Now this is a big one, and real reason to rush a bit more. We're not even promised tomorrow, so until we make the dream come true, we should not forget to share some love, laughter and fun with them. It's weekend - an ideal time.

And it's interesting how our motivations sometimes come from different places. For example, many successful fighters and martial artists have started out from position of being bullied, or attacked, where it drove them to become so good, to never let it happen again.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Maybe the lesson here should be...damn these guys time is done, my time is coming to an end also, I shouldn't spend so much time worrying about others and create a life I'm proud of

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
A little personal here...

My brother was mad at my mother for leaving our father. He was a drug addict and drunk. But he was still "Dad", at least in my brother's eyes. I was far too young. As the years went on my brother grew more angry and resented my mother more and more, and for some strange reason, he resented and hated me as well. He left for the military and that was that. The last memory I have of him was the Christmas after he left. I saved up as much money as I could to buy him some cologne I thought he'd like. I wrapped it myself and sent it off all by myself. A week later I got a package back from him. I was absolutely ecstatic! Turns out, he hatefully opened the cologne and re-wrapped it and sent it back to me.

I couldn't tell you what my brother looks or sounds like today. All I know is he has a life outside of me. With his wife and 3 kids. They are happy and well. I have spent many years trying to figure out what I did wrong... Why he abandoned me. For a while there I had this weird obsession with making a ridiculous amount of money so I could have the massive house with all the toys. With the hope that one day he would catch wind of it all. I use to toy around with the idea of inviting them over for the holidays just so I could make him envious of everything I was able to accomplish without him. I use to fantasize that my nieces and nephews would love me more than him and would never want to leave the cool fun rich uncle.

Eventually I realized that he's just a miserable dude with issues and that I'm not at fault or to blame. I eventually realized that my time is better spent working for that perfect life so I can spend it with the people I love and who love me back.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Thanks for having the confidence to share such a personal story bro
Not many people would

Rep+++

Please SEARCH before posting.